Waist Length Challenge 2015

iVR

Hey ladies! Our next check in date is December 31st. That means we are almost halfway there! Questions: What things will you be doing to make the most of this last quarter? Are you changing anything or staying the same?

I've been lurking, but haven't really posted in a while. I've been blow drying my hair and putting it indifferent types of braids. One section that was acting funny seems to like me doing that because it's curling again so I'll probably stick to this routine. I'm at SL now so I'm sticking with doing crown braids and the like. I'll won't do another length check until December to see where I'm at.

caliscurls

Still plugging along. I've been alternating between mud and shampoo bars to seeing my hair has a preference. No conditioner, just pre-poo, wash, oil rinse, blow dry - life is simple :)

Can't tell for sure but I think the shampoo bar is making me shed a bit. Monitoring it and will switch bars.

Right now the longest layer is sitting at BSB. Hoping to get to MBL in Q1 2015 then WL by December 2015. Just need to stay consistent and keep my ends healthy.

Last edited:

NaturalfienD

Checking in ...

Hi all! I haven't posted in this thread since June. I apologize for missing the last check in and for being out-of-pocket because I will not be posting pictures to view today. :spank: I've been in the ET forum, talking about a bunch of nothing ... pictures by next check in, I promise!

Since June, I have done an additional install of crochet braids, which was a great PS. I fell out of the habit of exercising and applying my sulfur mix in July and August. As a result, I did not notice the significant growth that I previously had when I doing those two things. That motivated me to get back on target, I am applying my sulfur mix two/three times per week. The exercise part is challenging because I moved out of my apartment where there was an on-site gym and living in a house that requires me to run outside (Girl, no!)

I am going to yoga twice a week and hoping the blood flow in that activity will help with growth (fingers crossed.)

I took my last install of crochet braids down and now wearing goddess braids. I took that install down because that synthetic hair was irritating me, and I got tired of the look. :ohwell: Anyway, I have had great retention and have made it to bsl (longest layer, that is.) I used an AWFUL, AWFUL protein treatment (Cream of Nature) that made my hair so stiff that while manipulating it (after the rinse out), I lost more hair than necessary.

It's still all good though, I will bounce back.

I hope you all are doing well ...

NaturalfienD

Hey ladies! Our next check in date is December 31st. That means we are almost halfway there!

Questions:

What things will you be doing to make the most of this last quarter?

Are you changing anything or staying the same?

Changing:

I am thinking about doing mini braids again so I can get back into cowashing/water rinsing (as a poster mentioned upthread), my hair grew a lot when I had water hitting my scalp on a regular basis. I will not overdue the cowash/water though, last time I caused many mid-shaft splits.

I will also get into the habit of deep conditioning more often, especially if I am going to have my hair 'out.'

Continue:

Using Naptural85's protein treatment recipe and I will continue protective styling. Hoping to get an inch or two by next check in ...

:yep:

caliscurls

Hey ladies! Our next check in date is December 31st. That means we are almost halfway there! Questions: What things will you be doing to make the most of this last quarter? Are you changing anything or staying the same?

What things will you be doing to make the most of this last quarter?
- continuing to protective style in buns, twists, and French braids
- keeping my routine simple and low key
- dust my ends sometime in November or early December

Are you changing anything or staying the same?

Primarily staying the same just tweaking. These are the things I'm working on:
- finding the best shampoo bar(s) to use between mud washes. I have several samples I'm going through. I love the mud wash but like alternating with the bars for different hair/scalp needs.
- finding the best butter for definition. The butters I use now are great for sealing moisture but don't do much for definition. Trying the QB's abcdefgh butter (lol IDareT'sHair ) for this purpose.
- Covering my gray hair without spending all day doing a two step henna or using commercial dyes/rinses. Will try the Chagrin Valley Chestnut Henna shampoo bar next month

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
Hi Ladies, checking in, still on my regimen until the end of the yr. I can't wait to do a length check I want to see my progress.

irisak

Checking in. Took a quick shot while putting in Bantu wraps for the night. I can't Bantu knot to save my life. They never come out right but the wraps come out great. I'll post a pic when I can get one of my mini photographers to be still. Keeping it simple is working wonders for my hair. I just wash and dc 1x per week and ponytail rollerset w\ a light flat iron. I'm just coasting at this point no real hair issues, no real length goals. I'm just seeing where this journey takes me. I don't know what length I am but the black part in the pic is my hip. Sorry for rambling, here's the pic.

ForumRunner_20141021_211754.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141021_211627.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141021_211627.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 87

jprayze

This year, I've made little progress thus far, if any. My retention has been low and I need to do all the things that I already know work for my hair. I haven't been consistent. I actually think I needed to trim more...at least dust. I only trimmed twice in 2014 so far. With about 6 inches to go, I should be able to make WL by the end of next year if I stay focused.

image-3089716906.jpg
(ETA: If this pic is too small, I also posted in the BSL/MBL Challenge http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=20698827&postcount=2023)

Had to take it back 12/01/2013, my starting post and see where I went wrong! Plan for the rest of the year: Need to do regular tea rinses again, start up MN again (I know that's a controversial product:spinning:), and stay with the LG sulfur oil AND roller sets!

Finally posting my stats! Ultimate Goal: WL, but may until to HL (or whatever lol) Regimen: Really does vary, been adding a lot of PSing lately. I like co-washing and co-cleansing (love SSI jojoba hemp shampoo). I sulfate poo maybe 1x per month or less...usually will do before a long-term PS and after a long-term PS. I stockpile V05 conditioners, never know when you need them for something...great when I remove twists and braids. I love tea rinses...experimenting with other teas, but black tea is the business for shedding. How many inches do you have to go to get to WL: 5 inches (#12 on my LC shirt) Natural/Relaxed/Other: Natural (2.5 years since little chop and transition) Tips/Tricks: growth aids -- MN and liquid gold sulfur, love to do twistouts, roller sets are my friend but I like other ppl to do them on me. Issues or difficulties you're having: Only impatience LOL:lachen:

11/30 starting pic

View attachment 235207

Last edited:

krissyhair

I'm not bsl anymore. I just went and got a trim today and she cut me back to apl. I feel a lot better now about my hair even though it's shorter. After a trim my hair is always much more voluminous and easier to comb.

NaturalfienD

Checking in ...

I kinda need some guidance ... heaven I need a hug. :look:

I've been PSing for a long minute now. I do the deep moisture method that I shared details about in previous posts. Well, I don't know what happened, but I think I created some unnecessary tangles by being careless. As a result, I had a lot of knots on the ends of my hair (I hadn't dusted in a while) and the knots took some other hair (I'm sure not all was shed hair) out during detangling.

I am 4b/c, and I think the longer my hair got the more it was unwise for me to braid my hair up while wet/damp. I still have retained some of the length from before and I am thinking that I have created a bit of a setback.

Can anyone offer ideas on how I can wear my hair/a regimen that will allow me to take care of my hair without me having to be in my hair often?

I really like to PS and, I wonder if it would be best for me to d/c once a week (not allowing me to PS in certain ways) or something to regain the steps that I have lost.

OAN, I did a light dust today ...

Thanks in advance for helping me ladies!!!

Lelebug88

Checking in ... I kinda need some guidance ... heaven I need a hug. :look: I've been PSing for a long minute now. I do the deep moisture method that I shared details about in previous posts. Well, I don't know what happened, but I think I created some unnecessary tangles by being careless. As a result, I had a lot of knots on the ends of my hair (I hadn't dusted in a while) and the knots took some other hair (I'm sure not all was shed hair) out during detangling. I am 4b/c, and I think the longer my hair got the more it was unwise for me to braid my hair up while wet/damp. I still have retained some of the length from before and I am thinking that I have created a bit of a setback. Can anyone offer ideas on how I can wear my hair/a regimen that will allow me to take care of my hair without me having to be in my hair often? I really like to PS and, I wonder if it would be best for me to d/c once a week (not allowing me to PS in certain ways) or something to regain the steps that I have lost. OAN, I did a light dust today ... Thanks in advance for helping me ladies!!!

How long is your hair?

ImanAdero

Alright. Length check. If all goes according to plan, I should be WL by early spring of next year. My hair at the nape is almost 15 inches. From nape to tailbone it's 23.5 inches... So in terms of length I am solidly MBL!

I still need like 3 inches to be WL, but here's my length check after a blow out.
My his sports bra will be my official LC outfit.

I'm just mad because I feel like how longWL is will change as well lose weight lol. Forever chasing WL lol.

Attachments

• image-2086143901.jpg
    image-2086143901.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 167

yoli184

Would like to join the 2015 WL challenge. My hair touches the top of my Brastrap. I should be WL by August 2015.:yep:

Attachments

• hair.jpg
    hair.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 136

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Alright. Length check. If all goes according to plan, I should be WL by early spring of next year. My hair at the nape is almost 15 inches. From nape to tailbone it's 23.5 inches... So in terms of length I am solidly MBL!

I still need like 3 inches to be WL, but here's my length check after a blow out.
My his sports bra will be my official LC outfit.

I'm just mad because I feel like how longWL is will change as well lose weight lol. Forever chasing WL lol.

You're definitely MBL ImanAdero! Yay!

NaturalfienD

Why don't you put it up and away in some twists? NaturalfienD

You could try buns or wigs

I was kicking the idea around in my head of doing mini braids sometime in the winter, then I remembered how long the process can be and changed my mind. Twisting my hair is a better alternative Froreal3 and will be much less time consuming than braiding.

Another great suggestion ... Lelebug88. I remember a style that I used to do with buns (cinna bun) that I can get familiar with again. I remember those being cute. I need to find some products that will help with my hair laying down. PS (for me) has been a gift and a curse, I am kinda at a loss with what products my hair likes and dislikes/routines/etc.

I am still bummed out about the amount of hair that I lost, I - like everyone else on this board, hate having a setback. It's taken me so long to get to BSL and I am worried that I won't get to WL.

I will get out of my feelings though ladies, and thanks again for the ideas.

I will keep y'all posted on my progress ... :yep:

Last edited:

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
Tomorrow I'm going to try out some of this APB Whipped Cleanser. It smells really good. :lick: I will wash with it, then DC with a little SSI Riche Moisture Mask. I'm using some QB BRBC as a moisturizer/leave in. Then I'll twist and seal with some APB Hibiscus Pomade.

JJamiah

Hola ladies, I am getting braids next weekend. I have been deep conditioning and treating my hair. Before I braid it, I am doing a Dudley DRC, treatment and a deep conditioning treatment, blow dry then go get it braided... I am not getting tiny braids... medium do I can't keep what little hair I have.

JJamiah

Ok instead of regular braids, I am getting crochet braids this weekend.

I know I am not going to be WAIST LENGTH by the end of next year, unless someone can pull the roots out with it. I am losing too much hair.

But, I think I can make peace with myself and learn to style it, and make it the healthiest it can be as of now. I have invested in some drops to help with the excessive issues I have with shedding (please think clumped braid hair, that you see in the braid hair to braid with) that is how my hair is falling out.

I like the Marley Crochet braids and figure I can work with that monthly. I hope the drops work. I also think I am going to look for a medical shampoo, and start taking a basic vitamin.. nothing too much or crazy. From what I was told, the disease messes with your absorption of vitamins

JJamiah

@NaturalfienD

My apologies for not being there and more supportive. I understand how discouraging the journey is, trust me, I would tear up even coming to this website... I lost hope, I still don't think It is quite back, but I am acceptant of it.
If you don't have a medical reason, then come one and lets just revamp and see what is going on, because there is hope. ( and if it is medical, then we still have some hope, it just might be harder)

Can you write down what you do to it weekly, the results.
Styles, and how your hair acted afterwards, write it down, and the results.

:) :bighug:

bronxsoloist

Checking in ...

I kinda need some guidance ... heaven I need a hug. :look:

I've been PSing for a long minute now. I do the deep moisture method that I shared details about in previous posts. Well, I don't know what happened, but I think I created some unnecessary tangles by being careless. As a result, I had a lot of knots on the ends of my hair (I hadn't dusted in a while) and the knots took some other hair (I'm sure not all was shed hair) out during detangling.

I am 4b/c, and I think the longer my hair got the more it was unwise for me to braid my hair up while wet/damp. I still have retained some of the length from before and I am thinking that I have created a bit of a setback.

Can anyone offer ideas on how I can wear my hair/a regimen that will allow me to take care of my hair without me having to be in my hair often?

I really like to PS and, I wonder if it would be best for me to d/c once a week (not allowing me to PS in certain ways) or something to regain the steps that I have lost.

OAN, I did a light dust today ...

Thanks in advance for helping me ladies!!!

I kind of go through the same thing every 6 months as my hair grows.
I use to do mini twists, now I stick to medium to large
Since I don't use heat, I do a few loose braids to stretch the hair
When it dries I tighten up the braids and let them dry a tad straighter
When hair is completely dry I put into medium twists with shea
Finger detangle mostly
I deep condition every other week with a quick light detangle and re braid
I have had to modify this routine as my hair grows, the longer it is the less my hair likes smaller twists (braids are okay though)
OHHHh another thing I had to do differently,very important and helped with my ends; if I am going to DC while in a PS, I take the ends of the hair out first. Then after it is semi air dried, I proceed with the light detangle, moisturize, re braid.

Hope it doesn't sound too confusing
Hope this helps.

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I've been shedding excessively since August. I'm surprised I still have hair on my head.. Anyway, I found a homemade Garlic Treatment on YT the other night and decided to try it out. For me it worked better than black tea and fenugreek the only thing is the smell is very overpowering, DH kicked me out of the bed last night:lol: but it's cool because it gave me the results I was looking for. So I guess I will be sleeping in the Guest room until the end of the year, for now this will be a weekly treatment:yep:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
I've been shedding excessively since August. I'm surprised I still have hair on my head.. Anyway, I found a homemade Garlic Treatment on YT the other night and decided to try it out. For me it worked better than black tea and fenugreek the only thing is the smell is very overpowering, DH kicked me out of the bed last night:lol: but it's cool because it gave me the results I was looking for. So I guess I will be sleeping in the Guest room until the end of the year, for now this will be a weekly treatment:yep:

Is it possible to add an essential oil to lessen the smell?