Carols Daughter has been aquired by...

Je Ne Sais Quoi

L 'oreal.

http://www.lorealusa.com/press-releases/loreal-usa-signs-agreement-to-acquire-carols-daughter.aspx

L’ORÉAL USA SIGNS AGREEMENT TO ACQUIRE CAROL’S DAUGHTER
GROUP - 10.20.2014

Carol's Daughter
DOWNLOAD THIS IMAGE
Low definition ( JPEG , 152.8 KB )
High definition ( JPEG , 6.57 MB )
New York, NY – October 20, 2014 – L’Oréal USA announced today the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire Carol’s Daughter. Headquartered in New York City, Carol’s Daughter is a premier American multi-cultural beauty brand with a pioneering heritage in the natural beauty movement. Created by Lisa Price in 1993, the brand caters to a diverse, rapidly growing market and has established a loyal consumer following across the country.

Following a multi-channel distribution model, Carol’s Daughter offers a comprehensive range of products that are available at specialty beauty stores, mass retailers, on HSN, through e-commerce and at Carol’s Daughter branded stores in New York City.For the 12 months ending September 30, 2014, Carol’s Daughter had net sales of US $27 million.

“Carol’s Daughter possesses an expertise in the multi-cultural consumer segment, a rapidly expanding market that represents an important growth opportunity in the beauty industry,” said Frédéric Rozé, President and CEO of L’Oréal USA. “This acquisition will enable L’Oreal USA to build a new dedicated multi-cultural beauty division as part of our Consumer Products business, and strengthen the company’s position in this dynamic market.”

Carol’s Daughter will continue to operate out of their New York City headquarters under the brand’s current leadership team. This acquisition further enhances L’Oréal USA’s roster of American brands which includes Maybelline NY, Kiehl’s, Essie, Urban Decay, Clarisonic and NYX.

“I have worked hard for the past 21 years nurturing my brand and am thrilled that we will have a new home with L'Oréal USA," said Lisa Price, Founder and President of Carol’s Daughter. “L’Oréal has a proven track record of helping established companies achieve their full potential while staying true to the core of the brand and they have an understanding of the future of multi-cultural beauty. I could not be more proud to begin this next chapter of the Carol's Daughter brand with them. I know that my mother (Carol) is smiling as well.”

MizzKutieQ

I'm just going to say it, this is why we Black people can't have anything. Because people become jaded by the $$$ and continue to pass the buck on to the White mans hands. This would have been a great opportunity for her to decline based on their racist past. Smh. Rubbing elbows with those celebrities she was paying to promote her product when she didn't even have to.

ImanAdero

I really have to sort through my feelings on this..

My mom has had her locs since 95 and the place she got her locs done used what is now known as the Mimosa Hair Honey... Like I remember it was in a jar with simple gold labeling and I now realize how great the ingredients were because literall you still saw the herbs in the product.

Obviously Lisa has come a LONG time way since then and on one hand in happy for her.

But on the other hand, how much control does she have over her brand now? And Loreal tests on animals, will the products still be of similar quality?

Plus, I'm so sad that a sista is no longer doing it for herself... But we've sort of seen this coming since it's now labeled as a "multicultural" hair company... So we know how this goes.

I feel happy for her business acumen and how much Lisa has accomplished, but quite saddened by it at the same time.

Naveah2050

I am happy to see a sister get paid cause I feel like those products were declining in quality and popularity among the hair crowd - maybe she can take that money and do something great with it for our community. I am not mad sis

Leeda.the.Paladin

I'm just going to say it, this is why we Black people can't have anything. Because people become jaded by the $$$ and continue to pass the buck on to the White mans hands. This would have been a great opportunity for her to decline based on their racist past. Smh. Rubbing elbows with those celebrities she was paying to promote her product when she didn't even have to.

Well, they were going bankrupt so I see why she did it. I'm just not sure of the direction her company will take now that it's under their control. Maybe it will be for the best.

koolkittychick

Of all the major companies to sell to, you had to go with the one that has a long history of racist practices/scandals towards people of color? I am so glad I stopped giving my money to this brand long ago. :nono:

ellebelle88

But from what I hear, Carol's Daughter products aren't even good. Are they going to improve upon the products because if not, they gonna end up discontinuing that product line.

krissyhair

I had a good time with my Carol's Daughter products this year after splurging on my birthday. They were great quality. I'm proud of the founder for making that dough. Hopefully the products will stay the same

meka72

Well, they were going bankrupt so I see why she did it. I'm just not sure of the direction her company will take now that it's under their control. Maybe it will be for the best.

I was going to post about CD being bankrupt. So she had little choice, I'm sure. I hope the terms of the deal were fair to her though.

MizzKutieQ

Okay, she was going bankrupt, but claimed to still be doing well. She didn't need the store fronts. She could have kept her BK location and did her business online and continued to allow stores like Target and Sephora carry her line that way they're funding the overhead costs for payroll, leasing, etc. It's great that a Black woman has made money, but I hope y'all don't expect her product to stay the same. Her product has been changing frequently. Then she made it into a "multicultural" product, the writing was on the wall. Good for her pockets, one less Black owned company to cater to our needs. If we continue at this rate, we will be back at square one, now just White owned companies fronting like they're catering to us while continuing to use the garbage they used previously, just now at a higher cost because they know we will pay for it. I'd rather support the small Black businesses online anyway. Shrugg

Last edited:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Okay, she was going bankrupt, but claimed to still be doing well. She didn't need the store fronts. She could have kept her BK location and did her business online and continued to allow stores like Target and Sephora carry her line that way they're funding the overhead costs for payroll, leasing, etc. It's great that a Black woman has made money, but I hope y'all don't expect her product to stay the same. Her product has been changing frequently. Then she made it into a "multicultural" product, the writing was on the wall. Good for her pockets, one less Black owned company to cater to our needs. If we continue at this rate, we will be back at square one, now just White owned companies fronting like they're catering to us while continuing to use the garbage they used previously, just now at a higher cost because they know we will pay for it. I'd rather support the small Black businesses online anyway. Shrugg

I am wondering who is buying all her product because for me it's turribuhl and for many others as well. Maybe once they start re formulating they will make it better :look: and yeah this line won't be fubu anymore for sure.

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I need to read up on these Loreal scandals. Didn't know they were racist.

They had a huge lawsuit out of France a couple of years ago. Overlooking, Black talent etc. for promotions etc. and the people had documentation of their preformance vs. the other people that were being promoted and treated favorably.

The story went international when all of the Black and cultural blogs started reporting on it.

momi

Good for her.

The natural product line is over saturated and money is green not black or white. I don't care for her hair products but I suspect she'll appeal to a different market.

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
Well, who ever had that Office Quote can insert it here because it definitely does apply. She will do well, I don't doubt it, but I just feel like she sold out just to make a few bucks off of people who wouldn't pay her any mind had it not been for us.