Beginning Journey with Relaxed Short Hair

anicole

Hi Ladies! I am new to the forum and this is my very first post. I started my journey to grow longer relaxed hair in February 2010 (thanks to a very good friend). Seeing the progress of you ladies makes me so excited to know I could achieve such results.

I am starting out with short layered hair, so I have a long way to go before I can do a blunt cut. I am coming along fine, I guess. My hair grows very slowly, but it seems pretty healthy. Since I am new at this, I am still trying to find products and a regimen that work for me. I must admit I am having fun with that! I was wondering about other ladies who are starting or started with relaxed short hair. How are you progressing? How do you keep from using heat on your hair? What protective styles do you wear? How often do you get relaxed? What are some of your favorite products?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Current routine:
Shampoo & DC once a week
Cowash 3 times a week
Airdry twice a week
Blowdry twice a week
Flatiron once a week
Moisturize twice a day

Favorite products (right now, at least):
Cantu Daily Moisturizer
Wella Kolestral
Aubrey JAY Shampoo
Nexxus Humectress
Nexxus Heat Protexx

belldandy

hey! I started in january but my hair was apl; I had shorter hair cuts in the beginning of 09. What really helped me to get to apl was rollersets, not using too much heat and putting oil on my ends. I started stretching for like 5 months at a time, I think if you stretch for 2 or 3 months it really helps! I also texlax which has been a huge improvement. I would say deep conditioning is really important, it was doing it twice a month...now I do it every week. You reggie looks pretty good, how long is your hair so ppl can suggest some styles?

I would be careful with the flat ironing and blowdrying though...

Last edited:

LatterGlory

:welcome3::theteam:

How are you progressing? I am WL

How do you keep from using heat on your hair? Rollerset, using magnetic curlers with snap on cap.

What protective styles do you wear? Rollerset and pin up when necessary.
How often do you get relaxed? Every 3-6 months

What are some of your favorite products? Aubrey Organics (entire line); Oils: Avocado, Jojoba, Vit E;Seamless Combs ; KBB.

Tip: Traycee, Sylver2, Kami11213 are members that come to mind for helpful tips and regimen.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Hey, I had a false start back in Dec '09 and got a short haircut last week to get rid of all the damaged hair. I did get a relaxer. I'm keeping the same regimen because it's simple and was probably the only thing that kept my new growth from having to be chopped too.

How do you keep from using heat on your hair?
I avoid using heat by doing low maintenance protective styles. Since my hair is too short to braid I will probably have it wrapped up in a scarf, wear a wig, or sleep in pin curls at night. Also I let my hair air dry after co-washing or DCing.
Mostly I have banned myself from using blow dryers or flat irons to avoid over exposing my hair to direct heat. So hopefully the only time a flat iron is used on my hair is at the salon.
I just bought myself a hooded dryer and plan to use that no more than once a week if that. Since it's indirect heat it shouldn't be as damaging.

What protective styles do you wear?
When my hair was longer I did braid outs and must have been doing a good enough job because people thought I had my hair done in a salon. :) Now that it's short my only protective style options are wigs or scarves. Other than that I just leave my hair out and make sure that it is moisturized and sealed with coconut oil.

How often do you get relaxed?
I will be attempting 12 to 16 week stretches between relaxers. I don't think my stylist would even consider touching up my hair before that anyway.

What are some of your favorite products?
I haven't found anything yet that completely tames my new growth but I do love the KeraCare line and unrefined coconut oil.

I'm curious when are you blow drying your hair? You might want to cut back on that since you flat iron once a week too. That's 3x a week that your hair is being exposed to direct heat.

Last edited:

Angelicus

Hi! I am so happy that you have joined us! :clap: I started off with short hair too. I didn't have any hair in the back.

Since I joined the fourm my hair is so healthy. I have learned so many new styles from the people on this board.

I don't use a blowfryer at all. I flat iron my new growth only when I want to feel special. When I was growing my hair out I wore phony ponies, a ponytail with the ends tucked under, or braidouts. I also liked wearing braids too. I relax my hair every 3-4 months and that has really helped me retain growth. Limiting my heat usage has really kept my hair on my head. Do what you can to not put heat on your ends.

My favorite products? haha! I am a product junkie so that changes with the seasons. I really like the Aubrey Organics line. I am also a big fan of Dominican conditioners too. I love coconut and extra virgin olive oil (I put it in everything). I also like Proclaim Glossing Polish (Sally's).

anicole

Hi Ladies! Thanks for responding so quickly! I feel so welcomed!

Let's see, I would say my hair is chin length, but it's cut in layers. So the only part that is really chin length is the bottom layer. The only protective styling I do is a wig, but I feel like i'm relying on that too much. And since its in layers I can't even form a ponytail to put into a phony pony. I can't seem to figure out my options. When I airdry, my hair in the back dries curly while the sides and top dry straight. I think thats due to me getting mild relaxers, which I prefer. But once it dries like that I cant do much with it except put on a wig. :ohwell:

I blowdry and flat iron after my weekly poo & dc. then I blowdry once again during the week after one of my cowashes. I airdry and wig after the other cowashes. So basically, I blowdry twice a week and flat iron once a week, which I honestly didn't think was so bad. But it looks like i need to cut back on the heat a bit more if i want to see better results...got it! I already own a hair dryer so I will give rollersetting a try. I have considered getting braids, but not sure about that yet.

Thanks so much! This has been extremely helpful! But I already knew it would be. :grin:

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Do you put in any products when you are air drying your hair like a leave-in or moisturizer? I found that makes things more manageable and keeps the hair from drying all crazy.
Oh, and I feel so rude for not saying this before but welcome to the board! There are plenty of women here who will provide you with great advice. :)

anicole

Thanks for the welcome, Ms Rae! I'm glad I joined because clearly I need help! :grin:

Yup, I have tried a couple of leave-ins, but I haven't found one that can tame the back. Any suggestions? Does KeraCare have a leave-in?

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I haven't found the perfect leave-in yet either... haven't tried the KeraCare leave-in if they have one. Right now I'm using the Aveeno leave-in which is ok; I don't care for it too much because it comes in a spray bottle and I have the worse aim in the world. I'm more likely to hit the mirror or the sink than my hair. lol

LushLox

Welcome to the forum, you will learn a lot here! :)

How are you progressing?
Slowly but positively, I started at thin neck length and I'm currently grazing APL.

How do you keep from using heat on your hair?

I rollerset weekly which keeps my hair smooth and soft. I will occasionally flat iron my roots, but I'm not trying to do that too much!

What protective styles do you wear?
I don't wear weaves or braids or anything so my PS style is just a simple bun with a hair accessory.

How often do you get relaxed?
This year I'm only relaxing two times, next year I will relax every four months.

What are some of your favorite products?
Biolage Hydratherapie and Fortetherapie Cera repair vials
L'Occitane Shine Mask
Kerastaste Maquintense / Aqua Oleum
Aveda Damage Remedy

teacherjess

Welcome!
I started my journey in March 2009 at thin, damaged neck length and my hair has come a long way in health and appearance. I've cut a few times, but I'm at a thicker & healthier shoulder length.

I think I have blow dried my hair once or twice in the last year. The blow drier is the devil! I only flat iron my roots if my hair is past 9 weeks post or so and I have a lot of new growth. I may have flat ironed my hair only 2 or 3 times the past year. I have actually really loved the no heat regimen. My hair feels less dry and damaged.

I shampoo & DC about once a week, and try to co wash 1- 2 times per week. I moisturize every 1-2 days & seal with olive, castor, or coconut oil. I am addicted to wearing my hair in a flexirod style. I wear it down for a day or two, then pin it up in an updo when the curls fall. Thats pretty much it. Now that summer is coming I may break out the braid- outs again. We'll see. Products I use regularly= Cream of Nature green label for shampoo, KeraCare humecto for deep conditioner, Aussie moist or VO5 Moisture milks for co-washing, and Garnier sleek & shine leave in conditioning cream as a leave in, and of course the oils mentioned above.

I relax between 12- 14 weeks. My stretches have been successful so I'm thinking about stretching even longer this time around (maybe for 4 or 5 mos), mostly for $$$ reasons, though.

Last edited:

30something

I had a false start too.. was taking care of my hair, while i really wasn't take care of my hair.. if that makes senses. I'll clarify... I was taking a care of my hair, while damaging it with heat.

How do you keep from using heat on your hair? Hmmm. Braid outs, Flexi rods, scarf method + wet bunning, the pony tail method I think people call it. I think once your master the scarf method you can use flat irons less.

What are some of your favorite products? Avocado oil, it gives amazing shine to air dry hair.

swimfan09

Hi Anicole and Welcome to the board. I am relaxed and my natural hair is 3c/4a.

Right now I am 1-2 inches from APL - I have learned stuff accidentally and so much more from this board.

I am learning and building a regie. Right now, I am not swimming, but when I swim in the summer (ocean and pool), I make sure that I am able to shampoo my hair immediately afterward with a good chlorine removal shampoo. I am sharing this because I think a huge part of getting growth and healthy hair depends on taking care of your hair on a daily basis.
I am learning that sometimes I get too busy with work and life issues and I will neglect my skin and my hair. When you take care of yourself on a daily basis, your skin and hair will reflect it.

Right now, my philosophy is KISS - keep it simple, sista. Some people have really involved regimines. I very busy with work and am a caregiver so I have to have a simple regimine that I will be CONSISTENT with. If it is too much to do, I am not going to do it.

Not using heat was critical for my hair growth. I had surgery on the tendons in my hand and couple of years ago. My hand is fine now, but before my hand injury, I was using hot rollers, steam rollers, blow dryer. When I stopped because of my hand, I realized that my hair was in terrible condition, and was just neck length. I could barely put it in a ponytail! When I stopped with the heat, my hair began to grow. When I started "lurking" at LHCF, I made the connection between no heat and my hair growth.

I only use heat 1-3 times a year, for holidays or special occasions. Usually, I wash once a week and right now I alternate protien conditioners with moisturizing conditioners. I will wash on the weekends, then condition, then put in a leave in conditioner and then seal with an natural oil, such as camelia or safflower or Burt's bees apricot baby oil, and then braid it and let it airdry. After a day or so, when it is completely dry, I simply brush it back and wear it in a protective bun.

I moisturize daily with Mango Hair butter. I only comb my hair 1-2 a week - I have a soft bristle boar bristle brush and I find that that is gentler on my hair than combing.

Another key - the more you leave your hair alone, the better.

When I want to wear it down, I will wash and roller set the night before and let it air dry on rollers overnight. If you do a good roller set and apply the right tension, your hair will come out very nice - no blowdrying necessary. Using a setting lotion and an anti-frizz will help with managebility as well.

Where I still need to grow - wearing a head scarf at night (I need to learn how to tie it so it stays on), and understaning more about porocity, and the moisture/protein balance.

I am also working on better nutrition, taking supplements and drinking more water. This will help your growth, because when I do this, my hair does grow. I am not as consistent as I need to be.

I am stretching now. I used to get my hair relaxed every 6 weeks - occasionally at 5 weeks (boy was I bad!). I am up to 8-9 weeks now. (Baby steps! Hope to gradually stretch longer)

don't wait too long to get trims - my ends are tangling now because I have not had a trim in a couple of months. I will get trim when I get my next touch up - about 2 weeks from now.

Products I have used and liked
Giovanni - great dandruff shampoo
Aveda
Paul Mitchell - super strong line nice protein conditioners and leave ins
Ojon
ORS has a great new pomade for edges that keep me looking sleek when I wear my buns.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

kami11213

Welcome to the board and congrats on starting your journey...

How are you progressing? I started off about 2 yrs ago at very damaged SL, right now I'm WL

How do you keep from using heat on your hair? If I'm going for a straight look I'll deep condition on dry hair, wash then rollerset. If I'm 6+ wks post I'll hit my roots only w/ a flat iron if it's necessary then either wrap or pin curl. I try to limit direct heat (flat ironing, blow drying etc..) to every few months no more than 5x a yr.

What protective styles do you wear? Right now I'm in a sew in and will be through the summer. Normally my protective style of choice is a bun, a very simple bun...lol either a braid out bun or a sleek bun. I try to pull my hair up at least 2-3 days when I'm not in a sew in.

How often do you get relaxed? I started off stretching only 8-12 wks, now I normally relax btwn 16-24 wks.. right now I'm stretching for a year

What are some of your favorite products? I'm a Mizani lover, my staples are Mizani moisturefuse for conditioning and Mizani bontafying shampoo for washing. Other products I like are CON shampoo (green and white bottle), CON moisture extreme conditioner, Suave Humectant conditioner, Keracare wrap foam, chi silk infusion, HE LTR and some new favs are Dove daily moisture shampoo and conditioner.

MsMwana

Welcome! I'm relatively new to this as well but have managed to progress from ear length to almost shoulder length in about 6 months. It took me a while but I have finally figured out a reggie that works for me. I prepoo with oil overnight then dc on dry hair with heat once a week. After that I wash, apply leave in and airdry! super simple! My current protective style is cornrows under a wig. Hopefully will be doing so for the next 12 months or until I reach my first goal of APL!
I suggest you cut out the blowfryers...I find that if I want straight hair I can airdry and then flat iron...same result with healthier hair!
I currently relax every 5 months but shooting for 6, stretching has probably been the single best thing I have done for my hair!
Oh and favorite products...just discovered Herbal Essence Long Term Relationship! A must!!!
HHG! :)