Is there a mayo treatment that strips relaxer/perm?

CurlyMoo

I never heard of this and thought nothing could strip a relaxer/perm except cutting it all off.

My co-worker asked me this today. She is transitioning and getting impatient with the different textures. I try to help her. I have made her deep conditioner and hair oil that she loves. But I can't help her with her frustrations with transitioning. I even let her read my Cathy Howse book. :look:

It's been a while since I've had a relaxer. Is there anything on the market or organic that can help her with converting her relaxed hair back to natural or at least frizzing it up some? I noticed that relaxed hair texture tends to weaken as it gets older and become frizzy.

Keen

You cannot reverse a relaxer. She will just have to cut it off. I'm not sure what mayo has do do with the posting. I use mayo as protein treatment and it does not revert my relaxer. When I was a teen, I was stupid enough to wash my hair with beer because my aunt told us that would revert the relaxer.

CurlyMoo

I told her that I used Mayo as a conditioner in my hair when I was a teen but I heard nothing of it stripping relaxers. She doesn't want to cut her hair. She said someone told her this. I told her that I will go to an online hair forum to get the answer and let her know.

Keen

I told her that I used Mayo as a conditioner in my hair when I was a teen but I heard nothing of it stripping relaxers. She doesn't want to cut her hair. She said someone told her this. I told her that I will go to an online hair forum to get the answer and let her know.

:ohwell: Tell her to try that out and let you know how it works.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Think of it this way...have you ever heard of a brand of mayonnaise being stronger than pipe cleaner? And if so....why would anyone eat it? :look:

Protein might repair your hair enough to give you a little curl back, but it's not going to make your hair natural again. I know this because I use a strong protein weekly, and I'm Still finding bonelaxed ends. :yep:

CurlsBazillion

:ohwell: Tell her to try that out and let you know how it works.

I was going to say the same thing. Its kind of funny the things people believe. My grandma told me not to wash my hair so much when I was a teen because it would wash the relaxer out. My hair easily relaxes to bone straight and I never saw even a wave in my hair from washing it every few days. (now that I think about it, I shampooed waaay to often) CurlyMoo you should focus more on helping her accept that she will have to cut her hair, if not now then do it gradually, or wait two years and then do it but either way she will have to cut her hair. Scissors are the only way.

ThickHair

Mayo does not strip chemicals from hair, nothing does that but a good ole fashion hair cut.

Mayo is a good deep conditioner though, I use it all the time on my natural hair. I even used it when I was relaxed.

Also tell her beer, vingear, baby pee nor horse poo will not strip chemicals.

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
Mayo does not strip chemicals from hair, nothing does that but a good ole fashion hair cut.

Mayo is a good deep conditioner though, I use it all the time on my natural hair. I even used it when I was relaxed.

Also tell her beer, vingear, baby pee nor horse poo will not strip chemicals.

What about unicorn tears, or virgin sweat? Have we tried that yet? :grin:

Mai Tai

Miss Nigeria-America
A relaxer permanently changes the protein structure of the hair. In essence there is nothing to strip because the relaxer does not remain in the hair...it is the result of the relaxer that makes the hair straight.

Tell her to get some scissors...

Theresamonet

:lol:

If mayo (or anything for that matter) could strip a relaxer, It would be very well known and highly talk about. It would not be some secret you would have to dig up at this point. There would be no need for anyone to transition... Nor, would it make much of a difference if a person was relaxed vs. natural. You could be relaxed one day and natural the next, without sacrificing even a strand of hair. No need to flat iron! Just relax for that event and wash it out the next day.

But... I'd still tell her to try it. Sometimes people have to see for themselves how silly they are being.

toinette

Tricking the president
:lol:

If mayo (or anything for that matter) could strip a relaxer, It would be very well known and highly talk about. It would not be some secret you would have to dig up at this point. There would be no need for anyone to transition... Nor, would it make much of a difference if a person was relaxed vs. natural. You could be relaxed one day and natural the next, without sacrificing even a strand of hair. No need to flat iron! Just relax for that event and wash it out the next day.

But... I'd still tell her to try it. Sometimes people have to see for themselves how silly they are being.

how amazing would that be though :lol: :lol: :lol:

kandake

People use mayo and/or beer to revive natural hair after heat damage. It seems like there's some confusion with it having the same effect on hair that has been chemically straightened. And to be honest, it's not always effective for heat damaged hair either.

Last edited:

CurlyMoo

People use mayo and/or beer to revive natural hair after heat damage. It seems like there's some confusion with it having the same effect on hair that has been chemically straightened. And to be honest, it's not always effective for head damage hair either.

Ah I knew this idea had legs for a reason. So it is used to revive damaged hair. Interesting.

CurlyMoo

Thanks ladies I'm going to text her to let her know that she has to keep trimming gradually. She doesn't want to do a full cut. I told her that transitioning is a frustrating time and that she has to stick it out because it's worth it in the end.

I took down my hair to show her the length a few days ago, this may be what kick started her anxieties. Because I know when I was transitioning looking at women with long beautiful natural hair made me want to be done with it NOW!

caribeandiva

Human being
It's my first time hearing of this. I do know that when I was kid I was told that you could wash out a perm if you use bar soap instead of shampoo. Crazy right? But no, nothing gets rid of a relaxer but a big chop (and maybe prayer and miracles). There's no way around it.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Stripping/removing a relaxer is like unfrying an egg. Once the reaction happens it can't be undone. She'll have to transition or BC like the rest of us

Iluvsmuhgrass

I've heard of this before, primarily with plain raw eggs. No, it doesn't revert or strip the relaxer from the hair.... but because the protein beefs up the strand and could make the hair unmanageable, people thought it was taking the relaxer out of the hair. Keep in mind that alot of myths were spread as gospel until we started to become more intelligible about our hair.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
This is an old folk tale. I was told this as a child as well as washing your hair a week after relaxing would revert a perm.:rolleyes::lol:

empressri

lord jeebus I had a friend ADAMANT that she could use...oil or SOMETHING to remove her relaxer. I had to school my girl and tell her stop listening to these other folks.