Monistat (miconazole nitrate) for growth: UPDATES?

cutiebe2

CynamonKis said:
Cutiebe2, does this work better than MTG?
Sorry I didn't answer this sooner, this thread disappeared for a while!
Anyway, I don't think one works better than the other. If I had to choose one, I would choose MTG, but I know that MN works because the month when I got the best growth was when I used both together. I ran out of MN and so now I am back to just MTG. I am on the use it up challenge and I want to use everything until I have no hair products left!!

sareca

HoneyDew said:
Man, Sareca. 2 times a day is going to give you good growth. I wish that I could stand using MN again. It really started making me feel wierd and my hair started getting tangled too soon (I guess from the faster growth). I cannot stretch my relaxers to save my life so that really got hard for me. Which MN product are you using?

I here ya. We were both in that same boat last year. To be perfectly honest, my biggest problem w/ my hair growing so fast was just that it scared me. I could see a change in NG every 3 days. :eek: It just didn't seem right... I guess you really should be careful what you wish for. :ohwell:

But now there's a lot more stuff on the Internet about MN than there was last year. For example, I read about a dermatologist saying to mix it w/ lotion and apply it to the scalp 6X/day to treat psoriasis. It wasn't anything official just hearsay, but it made me feel like little less weird about it.

I'm planning to do 1 part mix un-petroleum and 1 part MN (Neosporin AF). That will hopefully do two things: 1) dilute it 2) make it easier to apply.

I never noticed anything like headaches or hormonal stuff; I just plain chickened out. :( I'm staying the course and if I run into anything I'll adjust instead of jump ship. :look: With that said, I'm still a little nervous about it.

tarheelgurl

For those of you using the MN with relaxed hair, how long before your relaxer do you use it or do you keep using it right up to relaxer time? Is there any reason why you shouldn't put on close to touch up time or is it safe?

Hidden_Angel

I love using the MN mix with my braids. It grow my hair out pretty quickly and im trying to get 20-22 inchs in next two years so anything can help

seraphinelle

I need to get some more, and then I need to use it religiously.

It's hard to see my new growth, and to see if I even have new growth, because of the underprocessed hair from before...

Hmm... the roots are really thick though...

I won't be doing any updates, I don't think until April or May, (when or if I do my next relaxer).

caribeandiva

Human being
ok.. i have a confession to make: i've been using MN on my scalp every other night for 2 months now. i'm gonna try to do it every night now. first it was neosporin AF but since i couldn't find it i switched to monistat. it does make my hair grow faster. i didn't notice this until i did a fresh relaxer and kept using it. my newgrowth is usually not noticible until after 5 or 6 weeks. this time i saw it after 2 or 3 weeks! i thought maybe my relaxer didn't take but i know that's not it.

HoneyDew

sareca said:
I here ya. We were both in that same boat last year. To be perfectly honest, my biggest problem w/ my hair growing so fast was just that it scared me. I could see a change in NG every 3 days. :eek: It just didn't seem right... I guess you really should be careful what you wish for. :ohwell:

But now there's a lot more stuff on the Internet about MN than there was last year. For example, I read about a dermatologist saying to mix it w/ lotion and apply it to the scalp 6X/day to treat psoriasis. It wasn't anything official just hearsay, but it made me feel like little less weird about it.

I'm planning to do 1 part mix un-petroleum and 1 part MN (Neosporin AF). That will hopefully do two things: 1) dilute it 2) make it easier to apply.

I never noticed anything like headaches or hormonal stuff; I just plain chickened out. :( I'm staying the course and if I run into anything I'll adjust instead of jump ship. :look: With that said, I'm still a little nervous about it.

Yeah, I agree that after reading the research, I feel safe using. But that NG can scare you. I did go back to usign it when I had braids in. It was easier to deal with my NG that way. I took those out after 4 weeks and not that i don't have them, I have not been usign MN. Even for that 4 weeks I got lots of growth.

I think your mix looks good. you know when I first tried MN, I did not get headaches. Well maybe I did not notice until people started reporting them. I started getting head rushes ,not really full blown headaches. Like when I would sit up fast or something like that I would get more head rushes than normal.

But, all in all I feel quite comfortable using the product. It really does not make me feel that anything is unsafe about it.

Good luck!! Don't forget to let us know how your progress is.:)

AKA-Tude

tarheelgurl said:
For those of you using the MN with relaxed hair, how long before your relaxer do you use it or do you keep using it right up to relaxer time? Is there any reason why you shouldn't put on close to touch up time or is it safe?

I start my MN mix about 1/2 thru a cycle- 4-5 weeks after the last relaxer.

I get a bit of new growth & don't want to feel like I wasted a relaxer, if that makes sense.

I use it right up to the next relaxer w/no problems.

sareca

HoneyDew said:
Yeah, I agree that after reading the research, I feel safe using. But that NG can scare you. I did go back to usign it when I had braids in. It was easier to deal with my NG that way. I took those out after 4 weeks and now that i don't have them, I have not been usign MN. Even for that 4 weeks I got lots of growth.

I think your mix looks good. you know when I first tried MN, I did not get headaches. Well maybe I did not notice until people started reporting them. I started getting head rushes ,not really full blown headaches. Like when I would sit up fast or something like that I would get more head rushes than normal.

But, all in all I feel quite comfortable using the product. It really does not make me feel that anything is unsafe about it.

Good luck!! Don't forget to let us know how your progress is.:)

Posted my progress in another thread thinking it was this one. I'm getting much faster growth than I did the last time around. I changed my recipe tho. I didn't think LR was doing anything so I started treating it like plain ol' un-petroleum (have 2 of them so I wanted to use them up). Normally I don't mix products :nono: but I'm using half LR and half MN with a tsp of emu oil. Anyway, I have 5/8in in 2 weeks and 2 days. That's nuts!

I don't use it twice a day tho; I use it once/day. But this week I had the flu so I missed a couple of days.

Last edited:

LaReyna756

tarheelgurl said:

I use it right up until my last shampoo before I get a relaxer. I haven't gotten a relaxer with it on my scalp.

HoneyDew

sareca said:
Posted my progress in another thread thinking it was this one. I'm getting much faster growth that I did the last time around. I changed my recipe tho. I didn't think LR was doing anything so I started treating it like plain ol' un-petroleum (have 2 of them so I wanted to use them up). Normally I don't mix products :nono: but I'm using half LR and half MN with a tsp of emu oil. Anyway, I have 5/8in in 2 weeks and 2 days. That's nuts!

I don't use it twice a day tho; I use it once/day. But this week I had the flu so I missed a couple of days.

great progress! Thanks for sharing.

You and AKA-Tude have inspired me to try MN again. I have 2 1/2 tubes of that really nice Derma Doctor MN cream. I tried selling them but, with no takers, I decided to just keep them and go for it again (I spent about $30/each for those! :eek: ). I started it last week, but only twice a week on shampoo days after I am done styling (wed and sun).

That Thursday after my 1st application, my scalp was TINGLING and kept on until Saturday. Again I applied it again on Sunday and my scalp is still tingling as I type this. I will do another application again tomorrow night.

So far no headaches (or dry roots) thank goodness. I will be 5 weeks post relaxer on Sunday and I was GROSSLY underprocessed the last time. I hope I get good growth to be seen by my next relaxer (I am hoping in about 3 weeks)

eunique

what kinds of side effects are associated with this product? because i saw some replies regarding headaches.

The Girl

I had 2 headaches that were nerve shattering but Tylenol fixed them both.:lol: One of thode though, I think was a hunger headache...HTH

happylocks

okay so what product does everyone recommond as the best. $15 is alot for me, but is there anything eles to try or to buy, any photos and updates

HoneyDew

Last edited:

HoneyDew

JustMeSteph said:
I had 2 headaches that were nerve shattering but Tylenol fixed them both.:lol: One of thode though, I think was a hunger headache...HTH

I was getting headaches, too. I think I was using too much. Sometimes the headaches started right after applying it. So far this time go ‘round, no headaches, but I have only done it twice a week and I am just on my 2nd week. We’ll see.

Edited to add:
Okay woke up with a headache Saturday. Maybe it was the wine from the night before, but it still may have been from the MN. I have not given up. I did not apply it tonight (I do it Wednesday and Sunday) just to give myself a break. I may apply it again on Wednesday to see how that goes.

Last edited:

happylocks

I found a foot product with Miconazole 2% in it for $1, I got two .5 oz I used it with glycren sp? and I will see if there are any more results so if you have any please post them thanks

He_Leads_I_follow

Hold it! You guys are using vag cream?! :eek: Excuse me, I work at a Pharma company and that's what we call it in the office. We just say "vag" not the whole word of course it's polite;) .

Well I'll be I can get this for free! I have to try it. Actually, I have an itchy scalp and I "knew" I just needed to try an antifungal. Wow! I LOVE this site. Such a wealth of information. :)

Shaniquah

I ain't gonna lie, I gave this a try last year - used it twice and gave me migraines from HELL!!! (I get migraines anyway, but these were abnormal!!) Can't say I didn't try....:perplexed

cutiebe2

I found that the headaches depeded on the brand...
I stopped using MN when I ran out...now I just use MTG but my plan was to mix it with Caynne pepper for crazy growth

BlkOnyx488

DDtexlaxd said:
I love it! It made my hair grow faster than MTG! I used neosporin AF. I didn't have the guts to get monistat!:lol: It has the same ingredient...miconazole nitrate. I'm taking a mini break from MTG to see if this product will replace it. I will be posting pics soon!

I agree I couldn't bring my self to by the monistat I felt like I would have to explain myself.
"Like Um no no It's not a coochie thing I just need it for my hair.:Blush2: Ok well see there's this forum with a bunch of sista who said this would make my hair grow and.. wait let me just go get the Neosporin gimme a sec be right back. Ok see no monistat I told you I don't have a coochie issue. Thanks
Have a nice day Bob."

I have not used it yet thought but I will.

AKA-Tude

HoneyDew said:
great progress! Thanks for sharing.

You and AKA-Tude have inspired me to try MN again. I have 2 1/2 tubes of that really nice Derma Doctor MN cream. I tried selling them but, with no takers, I decided to just keep them and go for it again (I spent about $30/each for those! :eek: ). I started it last week, but only twice a week on shampoo days after I am done styling (wed and sun).

OOOooo, I inspired somebody :clap: :clap: !!!

I'm still on MN, as a matter of fact, I made myself really stretch this time.

I am 11 weeks, but I have about 2 inches of NG. (I will take a :Flahsssss b4 I relax.)

I was trying to stretch to 12 wks, but the NG is driving me CRAZY!!!:eek:

I jumped on the BT bandwagon so that I can compare the 2, so we'll see what happens.

AKA-Tude

He_Leads_I_follow said:
Hold it! You guys are using vag cream?! :eek: Excuse me, I work at a Pharma company and that's what we call it in the office. We just say "vag" not the whole word of course it's polite;) .

Well I'll be I can get this for free! I have to try it. Actually, I have an itchy scalp and I "knew" I just needed to try an antifungal. Wow! I LOVE this site. Such a wealth of information. :)

WHAT:eek: !!!

So you can get the 4%MN!

I used 4% once & it was a trip- my scalp felt like it was moving!

I guess it was over-stimulated & I had quicker growth w/it but it scared me! I went back to 2%MN.

Hair Peace

Shaniquah said:
I ain't gonna lie, I gave this a try last year - used it twice and gave me migraines from HELL!!! (I get migraines anyway, but these were abnormal!!) Can't say I didn't try....:perplexed

I suffer(ed) from migraines too. I haven't had one in a long time (BC pills is what caused them...had to stop taking them). I wanna try this for my bald spot from too-tight-braids. I'll be sure to pick up a bottle of migraine pills along with the Monistat/Neosporin AF.:perplexed

HoneyDew

AKA-Tude said:
OOOooo, I inspired somebody :clap: :clap: !!!

I'm still on MN, as a matter of fact, I made myself really stretch this time.

I am 11 weeks, but I have about 2 inches of NG. (I will take a :Flahsssss b4 I relax.)

I was trying to stretch to 12 wks, but the NG is driving me CRAZY!!!:eek:

I jumped on the BT bandwagon so that I can compare the 2, so we'll see what happens.

Girl, I could not keep up with it! I applied it just 2 times a few days apart and started getting headaches. Maybe it just isn't for me.

AKA-Tude

HoneyDew said:
Girl, I could not keep up with it! I applied it just 2 times a few days apart and started getting headaches. Maybe it just isn't for me.

I hate that you get headaches with this!

I wonder why? You are using the FeetAccompli, right?

Maybe there's something in it that's getting to you.

Maybe becuz of it really kinda being an antibiotic (I think?).

That's why I only use it a few weeks at a time, every other day.

Have you ever just tried MN 2% straight, no chaser (xtra ingreds)?