Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

SimJam

hay ladies, i clarfied and conditioned my hair last night and twisted up into chunky twists. This morning I broke them down (each chunky twist into 2 or 3 twists)

-PYT

Getting my twists even a little damp, like in the shower causes the ends to unravel. Hate it :( my medium size twists never unravel. Those will be my next set :yep:

Bublin

hay ladies, i clarfied and conditioned my hair last night and twisted up into chunky twists. This morning I broke them down (each chunky twist into 2 or 3 twists)

SimJam - that's exactly how i do my hair but the only phrase i could think of to describe the process was 'in stages'. I like 'broke them down'.
I prefer this method because the process of putting in lots of twists doesn't seem so daunting and you can decide to stop 'breaking them down' at any point knowing that your hair is still kind of done.

On another note - my twists frizz up on me after just one day. :nono: I don't use gel cus i know my hair would break off....but 1 day? Give me a break.

SimJam

Bublin yes I also like this method for the same reason .... each week , I can decide to either keep the same amt of twists for make them smaller.

yes when I do my twists myself they frizz up maybe within 2 days :rolleyes: -- I just live with it now.

I've also given up gel even though it helps with the frizies. I also found that when I used the tangle teaser to smooth each section before I twised , they didnt frizz as quickly, but I dont use it any more so as I said before .... living with the frizz:look:

MaraWithLove

Currently two-strand twisting my hair while watching Painter of the Wind (K-drama) and waiting for my coffee of the night :lol: Going well so far-I'm glad to see my thick hair can manage well with thicker twists than before-we shall see how long this lasts! :yep: I'll post a pic of my finished look.

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Monday makes week 1 in this set of twists.

Today I started my day in a ponytail:

And decided to do a single braid with my twists for the gym:

Krystle~Hime

MaraWithLove that's funny I was taking down my twists while also watching a drama, but not a korean one, a japanese "rebound"

yaya24 do you want me to hate you !!! :lol::spinning: everytime u post pics i'm mad at how your hair/twists are so beautiful !!

nice style idea for workout !!
did u do something after the gym? a cowash or something like dad ? (sweating)

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
@Krystle~Hime Thanks!
I used tea tree oil and Qtips to clean my scalp.
I do not sweat heavily from my scalp, and I am going to workout again tomorrow then possibly cowash.

I'm scared my hair will lock up on me.

Last edited:

pookaloo83

I'm sitting here on the couch retwisting some twists that look crazy. Mostly the front though. I'm gonna try to keep this set in for 2 weeks or a week and a half. I believe Tuesday will make a week. I'm gonna try to hold out till Friday at least.

discodumpling

I'm rocking a big tangled matted twist out fro that's been slept on, worked out in and steamed in the shower! I'll be washed and retwisted by Tuesday...but now i'm off to my Mom's for lunch!

Reminiscing

Installed my first set of twists last night. YAY!! It didn't take as long as I thought it would. It took about 2 hours but I was expecting at least 3 hours since it was my first time. My twists hang past my shoulders in the back so I curled my whole head with blue perm rods to keep my hair away from my clothes. It came out really nice this morning, looks like a bob of twists. Lol!

I'm a little camera shy so no pics yet but I'll keep you posted on how the twists hold up. I think I'm going to love this challenge!

Oh and I noticed one problem... I don't have a full hairline which really shows with my twists. I don't feel comfortable pulling them back so I always have to have some sort of bang. I'm going to start using Sulfur 8 on my edges again. It helped thicken them before but I stopped when I ran out and never restocked. BSS here I come!

faithVA

Finally retwisted my hair. I put if off as long as I could I did 2 strand flat twist in the front and 2 strand twist in the back. Going to pull them all back into a knot and pin them under. I don't plan on doing a lot of moisturizing or anything where I have to touch my hair. Let's see if I can keep it neat looking.

Kenny-Ann

I retwisted my hair. The henna and indigo treatment was unsuccessful. The henna took, but the indigo just didn't want to hang on. See what happens when I stray. I will go back to using the ancient sunrise. So, parts of my roots are orange, but at least it's better they aren't gray. I might just keep it that way and let the orange stay forever!!!

Anyways....I washed and d/c, put in kckt, sealed with coconut oil and then for the first time used flaxseed gel (I made my first batch ever). I did medium twists on damp hair this time around and can I say I LOVED how juicy they looked. My hair stayed moist this time, so I think I will continue with this wash and d/c routine. I twisted them down and around to the back and secured with bobby pins and a small comb. We shall see how long it lasts.

I threw in some pics of the before and after henna.

Attachments

• IMG_20110919_225909.jpg
    IMG_20110919_225909.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20110924_193808.jpg
    IMG_20110924_193808.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20110924_193450.jpg
    IMG_20110924_193450.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20110924_193422.jpg
    IMG_20110924_193422.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

ladykpnyc

DC'd w/ AG's Rhassoul deep dish cube and organic coconut milk for 2 hours while sitting under my conditioning cap. Then I rinsed and shampoo'd my hair in sections and used Hairitage's Avocado Cloud as a leave in and JCO to seal.

I mini twisted the back of my hair while it was still wet because the looser curl gives noticeably more hang time then the rest of my hair when I twist on dry hair.

The next day I twisted the rest then styles.

I had to blur out my bummy-chilling-at-home face :lol: :nono:

Attachments

• Image.JPG
    Image.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Image (1).JPG
    Image (1).JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Image (2).JPG
    Image (2).JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Image (3).JPG
    Image (3).JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Image (4).JPG
    Image (4).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 29

MaraWithLove

Well, I finished my hair yesterday and do not like the look on me at all. *Sigh* I'll leave it alone for now and then restyle sometime later this week/weekend.

faithVA

[USER=303993 said:
MaraWithLove[/USER];14306427]Well, I finished my hair yesterday and do not like the look on me at all. *Sigh* I'll leave it alone for now and then restyle sometime later this week/weekend.

I have those weeks as well. Maybe you can pull it up or back or wear a headband to try to give it some flair.

discodumpling

I hope i'm not breaking the rules or starting controversy LOL! I have Bantu knots for the next few days:

To be fair each knot is a 2 strand twist :yep:. I'll keep my knots for about 4 days before undoing for a night out on Friday. This style requires no maintainance other than to tie it down each night!

My hair is super moisturized after my rhassoul amla wash yesterday. These knots were done with cocoshealoe mixed with a bit of flax gel for hold. I'm excited to see the fro at the end of the week!

faithVA

[USER=23037 said:
discodumpling[/USER];14307225]I hope i'm not breaking the rules or starting controversy LOL! I have Bantu knots for the next few days:

To be fair each knot is a 2 strand twist :yep:. I'll keep my knots for about 4 days before undoing for a night out on Friday. This style requires no maintainance other than to tie it down each night!

My hair is super moisturized after my rhassoul amla wash yesterday. These knots were done with cocoshealoe mixed with a bit of flax gel for hold. I'm excited to see the fro at the end of the week!

That's a great idea. I forgot all about bantu knots. They are twisted so you are good.

JudithO

Hey guys.. Washed on Friday in my twists applied a hair oil to my wet hair and retwisted my entire head. Sorry guys that I've been MIA, wedding planning... lol... I'll be lurking around....

My regimen has been pretty simple. Moisturize and seal 2x a week, wash hair with mud wash every other week (I refresh my edges everytime I wash), and do a full take down every month. I never take out all my twists... I wash in my twists always, and redo them individually.. so far so good...

Last set of twists were in for 1 month.. I just put new ones in this weekend... I didn't even have to use a comb, I just detangld with my fingers... I lost less hair that I usually do in a week so I was pretty happy..

Been feeling pretty down lately .. another reason I havent been posting... was tired of my hair being natural... I don't like the fact that it never looks "smooth", tired of my ends being uneven, tired of all the shrinkage etc... Anyway, I'm feeling a lil better... I didn't want to come in here to discourage anyone... Happy growing ladies...

PaigeJessica

That's cute Faith! I took my twists out a couple days ago and just washed my hair today. I'm going to dry it overnight in flat twists then twist again tomorrow. I was surprised when I washed my hair how long it looks now. I'm only an inch away from APL now and a couple of my other layers reached SL. Staying in twists really does my hair good. :yep:

ETA I left my hair in twists for 2 weeks. I think that's the right amount of time for me.

PaigeJessica

PaigeJessica I totally understand that! Lol is your crown the area that tangles most of all too? That's how mine is; the whole left side of my head is rarely tangled, but the side I sleep on + my crown = DRAMA (at times)!

BTW your twists are lovely, your hair looks lush! :spinning::lick::look:

MaraWithLove hey! sorry it's taken me a while to reply! My crown is like a thick THICK jungle of hair lol. It doesn't actually tangle more than the rest of my head but it takes forever to get through.

Thank you for the compliment. I hope you post more pictures of your twists.

faithVA

That's cute Faith! I took my twists out a couple days ago and just washed my hair today. I'm going to dry it overnight in flat twists then twist again tomorrow. I was surprised when I washed my hair how long it looks now. I'm only an inch away from APL now and a couple of my other layers reached SL. Staying in twists really does my hair good. :yep:

ETA I left my hair in twists for 2 weeks. I think that's the right amount of time for me.

Thanks PaigeJessica.

Can you tell a big difference in your twists from when your back was just reaching SL until now? 1" to APL is wonderful so you should definitely reach it by Dec.

PaigeJessica

Yes actually I noticed my longest layer is now almost reaching the very bottom of my neck/beginning of my shoulders. Like the twists are playing with the idea of being SL. Before they were a little below chin level. I think another inch they will be at the very top of my shoulders.