STYLE FILE: Crochet Braids/Latch Hook Braids - different hair types: photos - videos

Ivonnovi

Re: STYLE FILE: Crochet Braids/Latch Hook Braids - different hair types: photos - vid

The hair from two weeks ago was way too much for me to take on at one time, so last Friday I took it down and re-did it.

My hair in the pics below was done with some $.99 Tokykolan (sp?) hair that had a curl at the ends (looked relaxed). The colors were 6, 8, and a 4/27 mixture used as highlights. (I cut the hair in half and use a little more than 2 full packs

I LOVE the colors, BUT the hair in my scalp is thin (pic 1), and I feel a STRONG NEED to cammo the sparseness. Though I used thin cornrows with some at angles, this was not enough. I needed the fullness (fluffiness) of the kinker textured Jumbo braid hair.

I decided to cut an entire row out and replace it with some Kanekolon Jumbo Braid hair (in a solid 4 (closer to my own hair color)); then I flatiorned it. (ETA: the last Pic; the invisiKnot section is on the right, I'll add more hair later)

(pics 2+) :grin: ONCE AGAIN IM IN LOVE!!!! This time I attempted to use the invisi-knot technique
Knotless/Invisible Part Crochet Braids Using Straight Kanekalon Hair (struggle video)(https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_555884199&feature=iv&src_vid=ORDFAhEmz-g&v=4m-tddwG_YU )

and OMG the combinded looks are so much more realistic.

I'll do the other-side some time over the next week, as the invisiknot takes a lot of patience, especially when you're doing your own hair.

I'm sure I'll make it more than 7 days with this as my final results; my modified goal is 8 weeks up, and 4 down till this summer.

Attachments

• Knots_vs_ThinHair.jpg
    Knots_vs_ThinHair.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Knots_vs_InvisiKnots.jpg
    Knots_vs_InvisiKnots.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 118
  • SmoothedNFilled.jpg
    SmoothedNFilled.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 20150121_185607_1.jpg
    20150121_185607_1.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 20150121_185526.jpg
    20150121_185526.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Lisa

Re: STYLE FILE: Crochet Braids/Latch Hook Braids - different hair types: photos - vid

Ivonnovi how did you keep a knot in that straight hair? I tried to put in some crochet braids with a loose curl and my knots would crawl!

I had put in 5-6 pieces of hair and the first one was coming undone! I was fighting a losing battle. I even tried to put more knots in it and they still would come undone!

Ivonnovi

Lisa

I found that the knots stay better where I used the skinner pieces. I looped the hair through 3 to 4 times. Bigger pieces require 4 loops for a secure not.

Also, TBH I've learned to go through and randomly tighten several knots every day; ....not quite maintenance free but still a quick fix.

IHTH

MsCarmenP

I have a question for those who do crochet braids frequently. The first couple of times I did my crochet braids, they were beautiful. However, the last few times they were horrible. Before I even finish putting the hair in it's tangled and just looks a mess. Any advice to keep the hair from tangling when installing? I've tried gel and mousse. I want to try crochets again but don't want to waste time or money having someone cornrow my hair just to take it out the same day.

tjrj1998

I have a question for those who do crochet braids frequently. The first couple of times I did my crochet braids, they were beautiful. However, the last few times they were horrible. Before I even finish putting the hair in it's tangled and just looks a mess. Any advice to keep the hair from tangling when installing? I've tried gel and mousse. I want to try crochets again but don't want to waste time or money having someone cornrow my hair just to take it out the same day.

Are you using the same hair as the previous installs.

I use the same hair for all my cousins installs and the style is beautiful each time.

MsCarmenP

tjrj1998 Yes, I'm using the same kind of hair - Freetress Deep Twist. I actually put some more in today. They're so-so. Decent enough to last hopefully for the next two weeks.

angellike

MsCarmenP I haven't seen many people do this on tutorial, but I personally soak the hair in a small tub of water then separate each section into 2-3 further pieces. It definitely reduces frizz and tangling. I do it all at once the night before I install so I don't waste time having to separate as I go, I lay the hair on a towel and its dry by the next day

Last edited:

tjrj1998

MsCarmenP I haven't seen many people do this on tutorial, but I personally soak the hair in a small tub of water then separate each section into 2-3 further pieces. It definitely reduces frizz and tangling. I do it all at once the night before I install so I don't waste time having to separate as I go, I lay the hair on a towel and its dry by the next day

Ive created a crochet wig a few weeks ago and I cant wait to wear it. I've separated the hair as well because it looks better. Im going to curl it soon and wear it for about a month. It will definitely be before the rainy weather hits. I'm going to go to the Africans so they can give me a semi- bee hive with a small amount of marley hair so it will last at minimum 3 weeks.

MsCarmenP

@MsCarmenP I haven't seen many people do this on tutorial, but I personally soak the hair in a small tub of water then separate each section into 2-3 further pieces. It definitely reduces frizz and tangling. I do it all at once the night before I install so I don't waste time having to separate as I go, I lay the hair on a towel and its dry by the next day

angellike That sounds like a good move. Wish I would've done that before I installed these yesterday. I actually do a ACV soak to the hair before I install it. So next time after the soak I can try this and go ahead and separate it then.

angellike

has anyone done a crochet "hybrid?" i'm thinking about sewing weave up to the front and then crocheting the top where my part would be. I'm wanting to try this because i've failed with trying to do my own closures but sewing on the weave is no prob for me.

I wanna try using human hair with this but all I see is ladies securing the knots with nail glue, which im not willing to do. Does anyone have any experience with keratin glue? i saw a comment somewhere that you could use that instead