Did weave damage or thin out your hair??

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
My edges yea....it was done too tight.
I just wear my hair out (no weaves) and show TLC to the edges.....

SelfStyled

Completely. My hair was super, super thin. As you can see with the pic on the left. I had weaved my hair for 3 years prior to this picture.

I fixed it by:
Stopped weaving completely
Stretched Relaxers from 5 to 8 weeks
DC'd at least weekly
Light protein Treatments
Castor oil to the scalp
OCT(don't use anymore though)

Last edited:

doll-baby

Yes, Yes and Yes. But I have to say that I was a chronic weave wearer. I just recently came out of my sew in. I've been weave free for 2 weeks and believe it or not I am seeing a difference already. I deep condition once a week, keep my ends moisturized, I wear protective styles that hide my ends, and I just did a cassia treatment that really helped to thicken my hair up. I am hoping that by the end of the year my hair will be in tip top condition :grin:

msa

This may sound stupid... But how do you damage your hair in a weave? I'm asking for real:)

-Getting it put in too tight.
-Not taking care of your hair underneath.
-Being impatient and mistreating your hair during take down.

MsGoody531

Hello Ladies...

I don't post much, but I came out of my weave that I had been wearing almost three years. I would keep it in for 3 months at a time and go back in. It did not thin my hair out at all. My hair started at the top of my ear and as you can see in my siggy. There it all is ....

I think it just depends....

Honestly...

SelfStyled

This may sound stupid... But how do you damage your hair in a weave? I'm asking for real:)

There are soo many ways, lol. If the braider braids to tight, all that tension on your scalp can cause you to suffer from alopecia, where you literally kill of your follicles.

For some the weave thread slices through their own hair.

If too much hair is sewed on- tension damage

Also some don't know to moisturize their braids under the sew in

For me it was all the above.....and not really being able to wash and deep condition they way I should have.

But my biggest mistake was never letting my hair rest between installs, and relaxing and weaving back up on the same day.....I can't believe I use to be sooooo dumb!:nono:

SelfStyled

Hello Ladies...

I don't post much, but I came out of my weave that I had been wearing almost three years. I would keep it in for 3 months at a time and go back in. It did not thin my hair out at all. My hair started at the top of my ear and as you can see in my siggy. There it all is ....

I think it just depends....

Honestly...

Thank you for making your point:yep:- I did want to mention that for as many that can't tolerate sew ins- for some they are a GREAT protective style.

Highly Favored8

Yes, this happend to me a long time ago. What I did, I just stop doing them and had my hair cut blunt up to my face and let my hair grow out from that point.

Austro-Afrikana

The first ever weave i got caused me to get a pixie cut. It completely thinned out all of my hair; i think it was the thread...I've never gotten a weave again.

jreagins

Now I know what I did wrong by joining this site. I didn't take care of it period. I had double processed hair and no one warned against my fragile strands to not do this. The hair was too long and too heavy and when I took it down I just sat there and cried. My remedy was letting it grow out. Now that I know better, would I do it again? Maybe but only if I can do I myself.

MRJ1972

Completely. My hair was super, super thin. As you can see with the pic on the left. I had weaved my hair for 3 years prior to this picture.

I fixed it by:
Stopped weaving completely
Stretched Relaxers from 5 to 8 weeks
DC'd at least weekly
Light protein Treatments
Castor oil to the scalp
OCT(don't use anymore though)

Thanks for the replies ladies----I posted another thread asking about Extensions Plus :look:..I might have to say goodbye to the weave FOREVER :sad:

SELF-STYLED!!!! my hair looks just like yours does on the left...I was APL and I cut it to SL to see if that would make a difference but it is still THIN...

I have adopted some of your methods and I am stretching my relaxer and might even transition, but my hair is soo weak and I loose so much when I wash it...I need to think quick!..I havent had a relaxer since March 2009 so my poor ends cant support all my new growth...

BC is NOT an option...My head is shaped like a LIGHTBULB!!

Seems like everyone else is progressing from their set backs, but my hair is still on a destructive path! :nono:

MRJ1972

-Getting it put in too tight.
-Not taking care of your hair underneath.
-Being impatient and mistreating your hair during take down.

This was definitely me with my weaves...Now I dont know how to repair the damage...Even if I cut my hair, it's still THIN!!!

I have been trying to repair it since March when I removed my last install.

My hair is IDENTICAL to Self-Styled's hair on the left in her response!

ChocalateDiva

Weave damaged my hair terribly in the past. No matter how much I took care of it and no matter how gentle I was with the takedown.............my hair was a horrible thin mess. I got always got alot of length but the thinness was horribe.........

ChocalateDiva

This was definitely me with my weaves...Now I dont know how to repair the damage...Even if I cut my hair, it's still THIN!!!

I keep cutting my hair too............but it still seems thin..............Im not sure about what to do.....:ohwell:any ideas..

KinkyRed

Yes, those phony ponies pulled my hair out in middle top of my head. You would think it pulled my sides out, but it didn't. I have hair in the front and sides but not much in middle.. Looks funny:nono:

SUPER SWEET

In the past yes...the weaver was rippin that thread. And it cut my hair like scissors and made it thin,lifeless and ugly. To correct the problem I wore buns and professional ponytails for 3 months straight.The salon used Dudley DRC, Deep Brillance and infusium 23 products to build my hair back.

lashannasmall

Some people, especially those with fine or weak hair, cannot tolerate weaves. It took me two years to realize that. My hair would be at least shoulder length now if I hadn't of wore weaves for so long.

Also extensions plus is great hear. The best on the market.

LovelyRo

There are soo many ways, lol. If the braider braids to tight, all that tension on your scalp can cause you to suffer from alopecia, where you literally kill of your follicles.

For some the weave thread slices through their own hair.

If too much hair is sewed on- tension damage

Also some don't know to moisturize their braids under the sew in

For me it was all the above.....and not really being able to wash and deep condition they way I should have.

But my biggest mistake was never letting my hair rest between installs, and relaxing and weaving back up on the same day.....I can't believe I use to be sooooo dumb!:nono:

I take care of my hair while it's in a sew-in (cowashing, moisturizing, leaving it in 3-4 weeks, etc.), however I still noticed that my hair thinned out at the crown. This section of hair is drier than the rest and requires more attention... I believe that coupled with the tension from the weaves and the thread caused that area to thin out. I'm now in nurture mode... I'm uping my DC's and protein treatments and using more leave-ins and moisturizers in that area.... I hope it works!

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Yes, but it wasn't so much the weave as it was me neglecting to take care of my hair underneath it and when I took it out.

I wore micros for 6-7 years straight without hardly any breaks. I never moisturized, dc'ed, detangled, did protein treatments, etc. It was just weave after weave after weave. Take it down one day, get it put back in the next. :nono:

The crown of my hair broke off very badly. It was about 3 inches and the rest of my hair broke off a little past shoulder length. Fortunately my edges have never been damaged.

kandegirl

It can damage and thin your hair. Wearing a net under the weave and getting a good stylist who shows you how to care for your weave can help this.

to repair it- don't relax your hair as soon as you take your hair down, do a hardcore aphogee treatment followed by a good moisturizing DC and put you hair in a style where you won't manipulate it. Wait at least two weeks b4 a relaxer. Then get the damaged ends trimed. Avoid heat styles. Sleep on Satin pillowcases or satin/silk bonnet. DC your hair weekly and try not to manipulate it as much. You hair will thicken up slowly but surely.

heyfranz

My nape and edges were braided too tight or either the thread was pulled too tight in my weave and i actually had to cut some and it's doing great and growing back now. Since I'm not sure what caused the damage i will leave out the perimeter if i ever get another weave, and the rest of my hair did great.

Boujoichic

Omg Ya'll are scaring me I got a weave installed about a month ago as a protective style The lady who installed it advised me to wsh only once every 2 weeks but my head itches too bad if I wait more than a week So now I am washing and Dcing once a week I only plan on leaving it in for another month. The last thing I need is for my hair to thin out anymore than it is.

isawstars

I've had a sew in twice...back to back... 3 months each. I didn't experience any problems. my hairline is a little thinner than before but not noticeably thin.

msa

I think you have to stay in full protective mode as you nurse your hair back to health. The problem is, those overprocessed, damaged ends can't be repaired so you'll have to cut them either way.

Would you consider a BC and wearing wigs as a protective style? Wigs work really well for me because I can cover up all my hair and still take care of it. You could wash, dc, protein treat, scalp massage, etc. etc. to your heart's content and you wouldn't have to wear your hair out short if you didn't want to.

MRJ1972

Some people, especially those with fine or weak hair, cannot tolerate weaves. It took me two years to realize that. My hair would be at least shoulder length now if I hadn't of wore weaves for so long.

Also extensions plus is great hear. The best on the market.

**I have come to the realization that this pertains to me! :perplexed My hair was thick and SL and I got the weave to "grow out my hair"...It grew out alright, to a paper thin BSL!!!- but in all fairness, i didnt know to take care of hair underneath, so it could have been user error
It can damage and thin your hair. Wearing a net under the weave and getting a good stylist who shows you how to care for your weave can help this.

to repair it- don't relax your hair as soon as you take your hair down, do a hardcore aphogee treatment followed by a good moisturizing DC and put you hair in a style where you won't manipulate it. Wait at least two weeks b4 a relaxer. Then get the damaged ends trimed. Avoid heat styles. Sleep on Satin pillowcases or satin/silk bonnet. DC your hair weekly and try not to manipulate it as much. You hair will thicken up slowly but surely.

I had a net weave on my last install due to damage but it was so hard to get at my scalp when I wanted a good scratch. I am hard headed but I may try to net weave again, because I really want a sew in..
I think you have to stay in full protective mode as you nurse your hair back to health. The problem is, those overprocessed, damaged ends can't be repaired so you'll have to cut them either way.

Would you consider a BC and wearing wigs as a protective style? Wigs work really well for me because I can cover up all my hair and still take care of it. You could wash, dc, protein treat, scalp massage, etc. etc. to your heart's content and you wouldn't have to wear your hair out short if you didn't want to.

I dont like full wigs, and the BC is not an option with my large dome :look:...I am definitely going to cut off the thin ends, but since I really want to transition, I may get the net weave instead, because the 2 textures are a bit much for me to control...Self styled gave me some options with the clips ins or half wigs, so I am open to that idea as well.

The thin ends will come off this weekend!!!!!! and from there I will decide on my protective style...