Dr. Drew's Life Changers - Black Hair

menina

Believing the book of Revelations
But why does it seem to always take a white person to justify your stance in life or how you feel on a topic? You couldn't realize this on your own?

Every hair, skin color, etc thread someone compares our woes to white people to somehow justify things. Why bring them up? It aint about them. Their perspective aint always fresh either. I'd like to see more fresh perspectives from our own.

I dont think its necessarily to justify anything..
Speaking from experience i unfortunately didnt realize that i could manipulate my hair without a relaxer until i went to cosmetology school and one of my instructors was doing someones natural hair.
I do agree that more fresh and encouraging views should be from our own though. It all starts at home..

longfroinghair

But why does it seem to always take a white person to justify your stance in life or how you feel on a topic? You couldn't realize this on your own?

Every hair, skin color, etc thread someone compares our woes to white people to somehow justify things. Why bring them up? It aint about them. Their perspective aint always fresh either. I'd like to see more fresh perspectives from our own.

No, white people don't have to justify how I feel....
It's when you've been doing the same traditions for so long and keep up with your culture for many years (ex: i'm a black girl with nappy hair = must get a relaxer). This was always the norm, I assumed this has to be true cause everyone told me so...it's always been this way.

Then, an outsider from another culture, who was not brought up with this "truth" hears about it and challenges it. I didn't think to challenge it before because I assumed it was true. I'm not saying he justified anything for me...he just could speak about it more objectively cause it was never an issue for him. And this could work for anyone with a different culture from mine, doesn't have to be white.

andromeda

No. It's like saying "I'm watching a movie". Think...Denzel, Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, Eddie Griffen, Martin Lawrence, etc? I can not watch Training Day because of the character Denzel portrayed :nono:

I think the message is, Himay is not for everyone :nono: If you don't like her show change the channel.

I'm not here to defend Himay or LHCF's who don't like her show :nono:

I want people here to stop believing Youtube is real.
Hmmmm...all i'm saying is that it's unreasonable to tell people that they shouldn't judge someone based on how they CHOOSE to present themselves. Even if you don't take them at face value, their choices do say something about them.

Also, I thought himay's appeal is that she "keeps it real". But now we're saying that not only is that just an exaggeration or even a persona - it's a character completely separate from the real himay.
Hmmm.

Even if we do accept that this is a character, who's to say that 1) characters and other non-real things don't reinforce stereotypes and 2) himay won't be "in character" on the show. . So if she goes on TV with this character, do you think all the people watching will give her the benefit of the doubt and say "oh, it's tv. That's just a character. She probably reads Proust at home while sipping oolong tea with her pinky finger up in the air. She's definitely not yet another example of the larger trend if dysfunctional black women."

Hmmm..

And even she does present herself differently on the show, her YT channel will be seen by many mainstream viewers who wouldn't otherwise seek it out or be exposed to it.

to be clear, I like some of himay's stuff, cussing and all. But her YT channel and a national tv show that (I'm assuming) that focuses on "serious" issues (even if does so disingenuously) are completely different contexts

Also, plenty of YT is real. Not necessarily candid or the whole truth, but, just like in real life, people choose to show a certain part of their personality or life to a certain group of people. More like curation, not acting.

Last edited:

fiyahwerks

What this thread boils down to, black hair + hope = $$$ for whomever (black, white, brown, etc.)

Dr. Drew just wants a slice of the kinky pie too. lol

cami88

Hmmmm...all i'm saying is that it's unreasonable to tell people that they shouldn't judge someone based on how they CHOOSE to present themselves. Even if you don't take them at face value, their choices do say something about them.

Also, I thought himay's appeal is that she "keeps it real". But now we're saying that not only is that just an exaggeration or even a persona - it's a character completely separate from the real himay.
Hmmm.

Even if we do accept that this is a character, who's to say that 1) characters and other non-real things don't reinforce stereotypes and 2) himay won't be "in character" on the show. . So if she goes on TV with this character, do you think all the people watching will give her the benefit of the doubt and say "oh, it's tv. That's just a character. She probably reads Proust at home while sipping oolong tea with her pinky finger up in the air. She's definitely not yet another example of the larger trend if dysfunctional black women."

Hmmm..

And even she does present herself differently on the show, her YT channel will be seen by many mainstream viewers who wouldn't otherwise seek it out or be exposed to it.

to be clear, I like some of himay's stuff, cussing and all. But her YT channel and a national tv show that (I'm assuming) that focuses on "serious" issues (even if does so disingenuously) are completely different contexts

Also, plenty of YT is real. Not necessarily candid or the whole truth, but, just like in real life, people choose to show a certain part of their personality or life to a certain group of people. More like curation, not acting.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Nayna

Unbothered
Judging from that preview Himay is the least of my worries. Is homegirl really calling folks race traitors?

Stormy

You know what? I'm only asking myself 1 question. I don't see caucasian women talk bad or classify certain types of hair among them, so why should we??? Hair is just hair and we should all embrace what we have no matter what

I do! This is what they say things like: Oh she's not a "real" blond, her hair is fried, etc... and then there's the blond is better than brunette thing, the red haired stereotyping, and a host of other things. I shake my head at them too. :lol:

EssenceOfBeauty

I don't think there is a message. It's a 3 minute Himay show. Why are we looking for messages, signs, guidance and leadership from a stranger on Youtube? Laugh :lachen: Cry :cry2: Get angry :deadhorse: and move on.

:orders: Himay Youtube channel should not be life changing for anyone here. It's acting people.

It is a message. She is clearly trying to communicate something, be it an opinion or fact via Youtube. My point is I have a hard time trying to listen with the all the swearing. As for looking for guidance, signs, leadership...I don't see how my post indicated that I was looking for that especially on Youtube.

natural_one

I see she is getting prepared for the "fame" from her Dr. Drew appearance. There is now a himay10nence.com where she is selling t-shirts with I'm guessing phrases she has said in her youtube videos...Very interesting.

My Friend

It is a message. She is clearly trying to communicate something, be it an opinion or fact via Youtube. My point is I have a hard time trying to listen with the all the swearing. As for looking for guidance, signs, leadership...I don't see how my post indicated that I was looking for that especially on Youtube.

@ZedianChic

Please tell me what message she is trying to convey? She has stated she is not a hair channel, beauty channel, this or that channel. The channel is her acting debut on how she feels about folks.

Have you ever been to a comedy club? Def Comedy Jams? No message. Pay to laugh and move on. Watch Himay to laugh, subscribe so Youtube can pay her and move on.

I just watched a rerun of King of Queens :lachen: No message. I laughed a few times and moved on.

ETA: In light of her new website..You are right there is a message...

Buy her t-shirt :lachen:

Last edited:

My Friend

I see she is getting prepared for the "fame" from her Dr. Drew appearance. There is now a himay10nence.com where she is selling t-shirts with I'm guessing phrases she has said in her youtube videos...Very interesting.

Damn It! Ya'll gon make me lose my mind, up in here, up in here!

How many time's have I said her tv show (Youtube) was for entertainment purposes?

Hey Himay....Cuss all the way to the bank :lachen::lachen:

EssenceOfBeauty

@ZedianChic

Please tell me what message she is trying to convey? She has stated she is not a hair channel, beauty channel, this or that channel. The channel is her acting debut on how she feels about folks.

Have you ever been to a comedy club? Def Comedy Jams? No message. Pay to laugh and move on. Watch Himay to laugh, subscribe so Youtube can pay her and move on.

I just watched a rerun of King of Queens :lachen: No message. I laughed a few times and moved on.

I mean a message in the simplest terms as generally defined in a dictionary.

...a message is information which is sent from a source to a receiver...

That is all. Nothing more and nothing less. You may have read too much into my message.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
I will be watching. I have my DVR set. I didn't even know Himay was going to be on there. I learned about it from www.kisforkinky.com and I believe she as a blogger will be on there. Himay reminds me of a younger version of my grandma. She doesn't wrap what she has to say in a pretty package or say things in a way people may be more comfortable hearing it but that doesn't negate it's merit.

Shay72

Natural, 4A
:giggle: Now that I just clicked on the link and the site opened I see Himay sitting right there next to Kim Coles.

keenyme

When does this air? What channel?

if you look under the show info tab on the site, it'll tell you what time and channel it comes on for your area.

for me it comes on the CW (maybe it comes in CW everywhere, but CW is diff channels dependong on the area?! *shrugs*) at 3 EST

keenyme

Judging from that preview Himay is the least of my worries. Is homegirl really calling folks race traitors?

that's what i'm saying! and ppl were finally to get over the whole "all naturals think all relaxed heads are self hating" thing.

aside from some of her thoughts about black hair growth, "good/bad hair", and that mess w/ ND, pretty much agree w/ most of what himay says. i think she'll probably focus ore on naturals who are more into their hair than other aspects of their wel being, which i agree w/.

empressri

Just adding to say that everyone on YT isn't putting on a show. I tell plenty of folks that call me out on the street, what you see is what you get. I'm the same silly person on the vids and act the same way in person.

Some folks act a certain way cause they know it's going to warrant attention, be it negative or positive attention.

keenyme

i don't think himay is trying to be a comedian. you might find her funny, but that doesnt shes a comedian, or trying to be. she's a lady w/ a camera speaking her mind.

My Friend

Just adding to say that everyone on YT isn't putting on a show. I tell plenty of folks that call me out on the street, what you see is what you get. I'm the same silly person on the vids and act the same way in person.

Some folks act a certain way cause they know it's going to warrant attention, be it negative or positive attention.

You have a channel?

WyrdWay

This sounds interesting! I need to see if his show comes on a channel that I have! I have loved Dr. Drew since Love Line!!! Back when MTV still played Singled Out.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

empressri

My Friend girl I love you!!!!! lmao!!!

I'm telling you, I've met folks on the street and they were like they didn't know if they should come up and say hi to me cause I didn't know them, thinking I'd snub them. NAAAAH!!! I'm such a social butterfly, I'm like that happy drunk person that loves everyone. But can say that I act the same way in my videos that I do every day of my life. No need for me to put on a show.

SO says I smell sweet. I don't really use the neem oil right on my hair but I use either my ceramides mix which has sweet orange essential oil in it, or I use the herbal riche oil which reminds of of black licorice.

There's other stuff you can use though that you can make smell good. I gotcha!! Will hit you up. :yep:

Kn0ttyByNatur3

if you look under the show info tab on the site, it'll tell you what time and channel it comes on for your area.

for me it comes on the CW (maybe it comes in CW everywhere, but CW is diff channels dependong on the area?! *shrugs*) at 3 EST

Got it! Thanx, sis!