Is it TRULY God's will for EVERY woman to be married and have children?

loolalooh

pink219:

I'll just answer the first part of your question for now, because that is what is on my heart to discuss.

"Is it TRULY God's will for EVERY woman to be married?"

Some people use the following Scripture to state that it is God's will for everyone to marry:

GENESIS 2 (NIV)
18 The LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

However, we need to examine this Scripture in the context of Adam ALONE on the newly created Earth. The Lord saw it necessary that he have a "helper" and thus created Eve.

GENESIS 2 (NIV)
19 Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. 20 So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

But for Adam[f] no suitable helper was found. 21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh. 22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

Additionally, if we look at the life of Paul, we see that for his life, it was God's will that he remain single:

1 CORINTHIANS 7 (NLT)
7 But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. Yet each person has a special gift from God, of one kind or another.

This "gift" of singlehood is not one that all of us have. Prior to these verses, he suggests the following:

1 CORINTHIANS 7 (NLT)
Yes, it is good to abstain from sexual relations.[a] 2 But because there is so much sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman should have her own husband.

So, is it truly God's will for every woman to be married? No. HOWEVER, if one has a desire to marry, that desire might exist because it is His will for that person. And if it is His will, it will happen at His appointed time, not at the person's appointed time.

ROMANS 12 (NLT)
2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Paul 'chose' not to marry. It was his personal decision which God honoured.

Throughout the Word of God marriage dominated; it is God's Will for one to be married. Not all have the 'gift' ... special strength... desire to be single.

Adam and Eve were the example set before us; that a man shall leave his mother and father and cleave unto his wife.

God's Word clearly states that if we ask anything according to His will, that He will give it unto us. Anyone who desires marriage, is not desiring anything against the will of God.

Now if one chooses or desires to be single and is at peace with it, that's fine. They are free to live as Paul 'chose' to live. However, if one desires marriage, then ask and thank God for the gift of your husband (or for the man, for the gift of his wife). It does happen... God does answer prayers for those who desire marriage.

Just be 'open' for whom He sends / brings into your life and into your heart.

It may not be of the same race/ethnic origin. Queen Esther and the King were not of the same nationality; neither were Ruth and Boaz, nor Rahab, who was a prostitute whose marriage and children placed her in the Bloodline of Jesus ... be open and receive.

"Consecrate yourselves........ for the Lord will do 'wonders' among you..."

(Joshua 3:5)

How does the earth continue, unless you obey and be 'fruitful and multiply', which is fulfilled in the order of marriage? For those who may not have children, they can adopt and love a child or children whom God has a Destiny yet to be fulfilled.

Indeed it is God's Will for 'you' to be married. If you so choose. :love2:

Selah...

ETA: I had to correct a typo. It should have read 'Queen Esther and the King'; the correction is in blue above. Sorry for the typo Loved Ones. :yep:

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
pink219 - To answer your question, I would say that it is not God's will for every woman to be married...

Check out this sermon which I listened to today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL2aD40BTqA

It's an 1hr & 15 mins. He made some very interesting points in the sermon on how marriage seems to be so exalted in the world. Marriage is really for couples who do not have the gift of self-control from sexual desires.

pink219:

I'll just answer the first part of your question for now, because that is what is on my heart to discuss.

Some people use the following Scripture to state that it is God's will for everyone to marry:

GENESIS 2 (NIV)

However, we need to examine this Scripture in the context of Adam ALONE on the newly created Earth. The Lord saw it necessary that he have a "helper" and thus created Eve.

GENESIS 2 (NIV)

Additionally, if we look at the life of Paul, we see that for his life, it was God's will that he remain single:

1 CORINTHIANS 7 (NLT)

This "gift" of singlehood is not one that all of us have. Prior to these verses, he suggests the following:

1 CORINTHIANS 7 (NLT)

So, is it truly God's will for every woman to be married? No. HOWEVER, if one has a desire to marry, that desire might exist because it is His will for that person. And if it is His will, it will happen at His appointed time, not at the person's appointed time.

ROMANS 12 (NLT)

loolalooh - Great response!

Crown

Marriage is honorable before God, but its not a commandment or a law to be married.
I tend to see this as a commandment :

Gen. 1 :
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

How to be fruitful and multiply if not in Marriage?

Our example : Adam and Eve.

Is marriage for EVERY woman : NO!

There is more women than men.

Crown

@pink219 - To answer your question, I would say that it is not God's will for every woman to be married...

Check out this sermon which I listened to today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL2aD40BTqA

It's an 1hr & 15 mins. He made some very interesting points in the sermon on how marriage seems to be so exalted in the world. Marriage is really for couples who do not have the gift of self-control from sexual desires.

@loolalooh - Great response!

Remaining single is really for a person who does have the gift of self-control from sexual desires.

I don't understand why some are trying to diminish the importance of marriage.

Marriage Man-Woman is compared to Relation Christ-Church.

Marriage is a part of the plan of God.

But, someone can choose to not marry.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Remaining single is really for a person who does have the gift of self-control from sexual desires.

I don't understand why some are trying to diminish the importance of marriage.

Marriage Man-Woman is compared to Relation Christ-Church.

Marriage is a part of the plan of God.

But, someone can choose to not marry.

Crown

You are correct @ the bolded.

However, the pastor in that video I posted is actually an advocate of marriage and is not trying to diminish the importance of marriage. This sermon on singleness was part 4 of his series of sermons on biblical manhood and womanhood. His other sermons in parts 1-3 touch on marriage between a man and woman.

Crown

@Crown

You are correct @ the bolded.

However, the pastor in that video I posted is actually an advocate of marriage and is not trying to diminish the importance of marriage. This sermon on singleness was part 4 of his series of sermons on biblical manhood and womanhood. His other sermons in parts 1-3 touch on marriage between a man and woman.
Ok! Poohbear, I understand : I have not listened to the video.

I reacted to this sentence :

Marriage is really for couples who do not have the gift of self-control from sexual desires.
:nono::nono::nono:

Poohbear

Ok! Poohbear, I understand : I have not listened to the video.

I reacted to this sentence :

Marriage is really for couples who do not have the gift of self-control from sexual desires.
:nono::nono::nono:

OHHH okay! ;) I can see the difference now in my statement and in your statement. I should have worded it differently or worded it like you did. Mine was more condescending I guess.

LucieLoo12

I don't think no one is trying to say marriage isn't important. But I do not want anyone to think that EVERY woman has to get married. IF you choose marriage, glory! If not, glory! That does not take away from a woman because she isn't married

sidney

Is this truly and really the will of God for our lives??

Hey lady, great question. I wanted to wait until other people commented when I saw this earlier. I think marriage depends on God's will for each individual. Some people have the gift of singleness. Some people have the gift of marriage. I refer back to 1 Corinthians 7:7, Paul says:

"I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that."

Marriage or singleness is for God's good purpose and for God's glory. Now people have free will, they can do what they want. But only what God puts together, no man can tear apart. Mark 10:9. God has a higher calling for each of us. For some of us, that our purpose is better served as a single. For others, we will better serve the kingdom as as as a part of a married couple. At any rate, it all should depend on God. I would not confuse the desire to be married with the will of God that you are to be married either. I once met Rev Cynthia Hale, I followed her over the years and I know that she desires to get married but God has yet to bless her with a husband. What I do know, is that even if it is temporary, singleness is still a gift. Even if it's just a year. That time should be spent pleasing and serving the Lord. Because the married woman's time is divided, and she must please her husband. 1 Corinthians 7:34. But a single woman can please the Lord. 1 Corinthians 7:34.

When I say "you" I am speaking in general here. Women should not waste these precious years that are are designed to be a gift to you to come to know Christ without having divided interests. This time is also your gift to the Lord so that he can fully use you to serve his kingdom. Waiting, fretting, and constantly worrying over Boaz is not how we should serve him at this time. We are to be focused on God and being connected to serve the church. The word also says that we must treat the men in the body as brothers. We must not consider them to be potential mates. Trust me, they see you! And if God prompts him to court or date you, he will! Proverbs says that a prudent wife is from the Lord. Proverbs 19:14. We don't have to do anything to get one. All we need to do right now is focusing on pleasing the Lord. That is the marriage is the most important marriage to be concerned about, as it has eternal significance, thanks to ALICIALYNN for sharing that with me. If you have a husband, he will find you (proverbs 19:22).

sidney

@pink219:

GENESIS 2 (NIV)

GENESIS 2 (NIV)

1 CORINTHIANS 7 (NLT)

1 CORINTHIANS 7 (NLT)

ROMANS 12 (NLT)

This whole post was on point miss Loolalooh! Especially the last verse, love that scripture, that's Habakkuk 2:3.

For the vision is yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarries, wait for it; because it will surely come, it will not delay.

God has not forgotten people, dates and calendars are already set on his calendar. We just have to do his will in the interval and be good and faithful servants with our time.