Anyone ever tried a real Mayonnaise or Avocado treatment for dry hair?

poookie

i've used Kraft brand olive oil mayonnaise & guacamole on my hair on several occasions. my hair came out really soft. a lot of stuff in the kitchen is great to use on the hair if you don't mind smelling like a picnic basket for a lil bit.

*Muffin*

I just had the best deep conditioning experience yesterday. It was so simple, yet effective! It left my hair so soft, shiny and moisturized. Here's what I did:

-Washed my hair with baking soda and water
-Rinse, then applied a mixture of Hellman's Mayonnaise, olive oil, avocado oil, and honey
-Left mixture on for about an hour, or until it pretty much absorbed into my hair
-Co-washed with AOHSR, then moisturized and sealed

My hair was so soft and manageable! This mayo deep-conditioner will definitely be a staple in my routine :yep:.

Anna9764

I just had the best deep conditioning experience yesterday. It was so simple, yet effective! It left my hair so soft, shiny and moisturized. Here's what I did:

-Washed my hair with baking soda and water
-Rinse, then applied a mixture of Hellman's Mayonnaise, olive oil, avocado oil, and honey
-Left mixture on for about an hour, or until it pretty much absorbed into my hair
-Co-washed with AOHSR, then moisturized and sealed

My hair was so soft and manageable! This mayo deep-conditioner will definitely be a staple in my routine :yep:.

Last week I did: 1 whole avocado, 2 small red ripe bananans with a little and mayo.

Looking for the ultimate moisturizing recipe :yep:

grow

i recently tried mayonaise (grocery store bought) on my hair and liked it alot!

i mixed it with yogurt and buttermilk because i've read where those will tame the ng (i'm 13 weeks post) and left it all on for about 6 hrs. under a cap.

my hair was silky smooth afterwards!

*Muffin*

Last week I did: 1 whole avocado, 2 small red ripe bananans with a little and mayo.

Looking for the ultimate moisturizing recipe :yep:

I guess the best way to start off is by mixing a whole bunch of stuff together that your hair already likes. My hair loves I love olive oil, avocado oil, and honey in my deep treatments, so I figured if I added those to some mayonnaise I couldn't go wrong. It was sooo good, and most definitely cost effective :yep:. How did your avocado, banana, and mayo treatment turn out? A couple of days ago I experimented with a treatment consisting of 1.5 overripe bananas, 1 egg yolk, avocado oil, olive oil, and honey, but I didn't like it so much. My hair looked shiny, but it felt kind of wiry and like there was protein overload. My hair still feels kinda funny. I'll be sticking to my mayonnaise for a while, but the next treatment I want to try is 1 avocado, coconut milk, honey, and olive oil :yep:.

*Muffin*

i recently tried mayonaise (grocery store bought) on my hair and liked it alot!

i mixed it with yogurt and buttermilk because i've read where those will tame the ng (i'm 13 weeks post) and left it all on for about 6 hrs. under a cap.

my hair was silky smooth afterwards!

Mayonnaise, yogurt, and buttermilk? Never would have thought up that combination on my own. I'm going to have to try this, too :).

Mahalialee4

I'm thinking long and hard about the mayo....so maybe I'll just use a little bit at first to see how my hair reacts to it. I don't know if I can handle the smell though.

Adding cinnamon or cinnamon oil helps with the smell, or rosemary or lavendar essential oils.

'what your nose don't know....!' lol

Mahalialee4

Thank Muffin. The avocado mask wouldn't do well on my combination skin either I guess. I shine like rudolph the red nosed reindeer after only 2 hours of washing my face, urghhh:nono:!

Curious, what does the addition of baking soda do for the treatment? Thank you for your reply.

*Muffin*

Curious, what does the addition of baking soda do for the treatment? Thank you for your reply.

I'm on a no-shampoo kick right now, so I use baking soda to clean my hair before deep conditioning. In my opinion, the baking soda helps the DC penetrate better (it's a base so it opens the cuticles). The vinegar in the mayo seems to balance it out and close my cuticles back up, but occasionally I do acv rinses as well. I don't add the baking soda to my DC, though. Some people do and say that it makes their hair feel softer and more moisturized. I've done it before, but I don't remember if I liked it or not.

*Muffin*

Adding cinnamon or cinnamon oil helps with the smell, or rosemary or lavendar essential oils.

'what your nose don't know....!' lol

Thanks for the good advice. Ironically, the mayo smell doesn't bother me. Reminds me of a tasty sandwich :lick:. But I make sure to wash the mayonnaise out with a good smelling conditioner. Don't want people thinking I'm edible or anything :look:.

foxee

I once made a DC with about half a cup mayo and 1 mashed avocado. The only mistake I made was using an overripe avocado - it had little hard flecks in it that made it a beast to wash out! Overall I was satisfied with the results. My hair was like butter and I didn't have to moisturize for at least 5 days afterward.

lalla

I've used avocado (very ripe)+banana+ honey as a conditioner. It was quite liquid, strengtening rather than moisturizing and defined curls very well.