How do I stop my hair from shedding so much?

DahomeyAhosi

I used the scented Nutrine garlic shampoo last night but still had substantial shedding. How long did it take for this to work for all of you ?

Dutchess

I read that all shedding is not a bad thing. As stated, you do lose strands of hair a day. Natural shedding is getting rid of the old hair and making room for the new hair.

appledumplin80

Hey thanks for the advice!!! I tried a reconstructive conditioner and I bought Aphogee. I have used that before, dont remember it helping the breakage but it did make my hair more manageable. Now I gotta get up on this garlic shampoo!!

Armyqt

Could someone please post the ingredients for the Nutrine Garlic Shampoo? I have the one by Queene Helene and I'd like to do a comparison. TIA

Kalani

Its true about losing 20-100 hairs a day being normal.
Plus, I've read that in the fall and winter monthes the number increases because apparently our hair does about 25% of its shedding during that time.
I personally recommend Nioxin shampoos and conditioners(the line for chemically damaged hair not fine, thinning). They have an ingredient in it that removes DHT which is supposedly the main culprit in chemical damage-related hair loss.
It might not work for all hair types(someone mentioned GPB had a bad effect on their hair but its always worked fabulous for me). I have type 3B hair that grows pretty well but breaks and splits all the time cause of the relaxing so in a frustrated act of defiance I chopped it off to just below ear length last year. However, its now just past my shoulders again so my regimen seems to be serving well so far.
I have got some great added tips from this board I can't wait to try out!

akua

Armyqt, ingredients for Nutrine garlic shampoo:
Deionized water, Ammonium lauryl ether, Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Sodium Lauryl sulfate, Glycol stearate. (and) other ingredients, Sodium chloride, Pure garlic extract, Quaternium 15, Phosphric acid, Methylparaben, D & C red #33.

Armyqt

Thanks Akua, when I get home, I'll post the ingredients to the Queen Helene so others can compare too

Armyqt

I've only used it once and I made sure to follow up with my beloved Elucence MB Shampoo. It lathers up really easy and you only need a lil. I think it would be good to use as a clarifying shampoo.

Armyqt

[ QUOTE ]
akua said:
Armyqt, ingredients for Nutrine garlic shampoo:
Deionized water, Ammonium lauryl ether, Sulfate, Cocamide DEA, Sodium Lauryl sulfate, Glycol stearate. (and) other ingredients, Sodium chloride, Pure garlic extract, Quaternium 15, Phosphric acid, Methylparaben, D & C red #33.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are the ingredients in the Queen Helene Garlic Shampoo:

water, ammonium lauryl sulfate, cocoamidopropyl betaine, cocoamide DEA, garlic extract, (deodorized), propylene glycol, disodium EDTA, diazolidinyl urea, methylparaben, propylparaben, citric acid, fragrance.

I like the ingredients in the QH better, And garlic is higher on the list too

Allandra

Thanks for posting the ingredients. For those that are having problems with shedding, I wonder if putting a little pure garlic extract into your favorite shampoo would help. Just a thought.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
Thanks for posting the ingredients. For those that are having problems with shedding, I wonder if putting a little pure garlic extract into your favorite shampoo would help. Just a thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought garlic extract from Whole Foods a while back when Tracy mentioned that she used garlic shampoos. My extract stinks to high heaven and I haven't used it for that reason. It's still sitting underneath the basin segregated from the rest of my products.

Since I don't use shampoo that often, my plan was to mix some extract with my conditioner. As much as I've been stressing over my shedding problem, you'd think I would have tried the extract by now, smell or no smell.

I will use it this weekend. I'll just have to hold my nose...and so will everyone around me.

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought garlic extract from Whole Foods a while back when Tracy mentioned that she used garlic shampoos. My extract stinks to high heaven and I haven't used it for that reason. It's still sitting underneath the basin segregated from the rest of my products.

Since I don't use shampoo that often, my plan was to mix some extract with my conditioner. As much as I've been stressing over my shedding problem, you'd think I would have tried the extract by now, smell or no smell.

I will use it this weekend. I'll just have to hold my nose...and so will everyone around me.

[/ QUOTE ]

SVT,

Please let us know your results of mixing the garlic with the condish. I was thinking of mixing garlic extract with my condish also. Let us know also how much of the extract you use.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

This is my story-whenever I was my hair and I either finger comb or comb it out,clumps of hair come out. Since the hair is long strands,I 'm not that concerned. Assumertyme is right-the conditioner washes have definitely helped with shedding.

Spagirl

Armyqt and SVT how are you coming along with the garlic?

I purchased the Nutrine line and plan to use the shampoo on my scalp only tonight. If it works that will be great but I would like to use a product that lists all of the ingredients. <<<<<scared>>>>>

Bobbie

any updates on the garlic shampoo? where do you guys buy it? i looked at Sally's and I couldn't find it.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:

I purchased the Nutrine line and plan to use the shampoo on my scalp only tonight. If it works that will be great but I would like to use a product that lists all of the ingredients. <<<<<scared>>>>>

[/ QUOTE ]

I ditched the garlic extract without ever using it.
Too smelly. I'd prefer trying the unscented Nutrine.

Earlier this week I had one day of minimal shedding. YAY! I've stopped deep conditioning my hair overnight which allows my scalp to completely dry. I've also been using Surge to strenghten my strands and MSM cream on my scalp. I'm not sure which method/product had the biggest impact though.

I'm experimenting to find out.

pookeylou

I have no shedding...ok...10 hairs a day...MAYBE!

I no poo
I take MSM
I added rosemary essential oil to my leave in conditioner
I spray with SURGE morning and night...
I only comb or brush hair when it has 2 cups of conditioner in it...

That is my recipe for no shedding or breakage.

hth

Spagirl

[ QUOTE ]
SVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
Spagirl said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I ditched the garlic extract without ever using it.
Too smelly. I'd prefer trying the unscented Nutrine.

Earlier this week I had one day of minimal shedding. YAY! I've stopped deep conditioning my hair overnight which allows my scalp to completely dry. I've also been using Surge to strenghten my strands and MSM cream on my scalp. I'm not sure which method/product had the biggest impact though.

I'm experimenting to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for sharing. MSM cream

DahomeyAhosi

I tried garlic shampoo but I must say it didn't help with my shedding. The only thing that gave me immediate results was Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor.

kombov_dymond

I used the Queen Helene Garlic poo and it stripped the crap out of my hair. The fact that it was unscented wasn't good enough for me to try it again. I ended up giving it away.

I used some food grade garlic oil (soybean oil with garlic extracts) along with a cheapie conditioner last week. My shedding has since stopped. I had been shedding like a cat all summer.

I had to wash it an extra time because of the stench, but my shedding has stopped.