Silk Wig Caps

yorkpatties

Hi everyone. Does anyone know where I can purchase wig caps that aren't nylon, preferably silk?

In an old thread I saw someone mention the "swig cap" but their site it glitchy and wouldn't let me make the purchase.

I've also heard people say they sell silk wig caps at beauty supply stores, but I've been to many stores in NYC and no one I've been to sells them.

I started using a good quality doo-rag with the seal facing out (the seam down the middle causes breakage to my hair) and a nylon cap over that. I'd rather just have a silky seamless wig cap for my super sensitive hair and scalp. Do these exist?

If they don't, one of you ladies need to be the next NAPtrepreneur and create this thing because I will gladly purchase!

silenttullip

I use my satin durag but if you want silk hit Michaels and buy a few pieces of material sew it onto the cap or make it into a cap

yorkpatties

I've got a tiny silk scarf, I think I'm going to try lying it on my head and putting a nylon cap over it tomorrow. I wouldn't attempt this in warmer months but I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Aicer

I've got a tiny silk scarf, I think I'm going to try lying it on my head and putting a nylon cap over it tomorrow. I wouldn't attempt this in warmer months but I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Yep this is exactly what I do and it works good.

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!

I do the EXACT same thing!!!! ;)

Sent from my LG-MS690 using LG-MS690

yorkpatties

I've been lying this piece of a scarf on my head under my wig cap for the past few days. I GUESS It's protecting the back of my head :)
And it's not too hot either.
I found another place to order that swig cap so once it arrives, I hope it'll be all that I've imagined it could be.

MzSwift

I use the men's skull cap that's a satin-type material. It fits snug like a nylon cap and doesn't dry out my hair. I bought it from the BSS.

This past summer, I bought a "sports" version from Walmart that has small holes throughout so that the scalp can breathe. I use that one in the summer.

HauteHippie

I use the men's skull cap that's a satin-type material. It fits snug like a nylon cap and doesn't dry out my hair. I bought it from the BSS.

This past summer, I bought a "sports" version from Walmart that has small holes throughout so that the scalp can breathe. I use that one in the summer.

I do the same thing! Once I stretch out my mens skull caps, I wear them as sleep bonnets.

yorkpatties

So one cut up silk Versace scarf later, I got my SWIG cap in the mail! LOL I'm satisfied with it. It's a little large, not as large as a sleeping bonnet but not as tight as a nylon cap either. My hair is in cornrows so I don't need all of the extra room, but it's not a problem. I don't have anything to pin my wig down to. I thought the elastic around it would be weird but I like it. This cap is protecting my hairline better than the silk scarf/ nylon cap combo. I would also experience itching with the scarf/nylon combo that's not there with this swig cap. So...I like it and would buy it again.

Last edited:

deltadreamland

They sell them at a few beauty supply stores in Atlanta. I never have a problem finding them. PM me if anyone is having trouble finding/ordering them.

yorkpatties

Thanks. I really want to try this. I have tried every method under the sun to keep my wigs from slipping and rubbing against my edges. Maybe this will work!

This is exactly what I love about the swigcap. Everything else eventually exposes my edges and it gets so itchy. So beyond the breakage, I really like this thing because it doesn't leave me uncomfortable!

reeko43

I ordered this evening. Can't wait to receive it. I'd it works I can toss the men's silk and ventilated caps, the regular wig caps the do rags the bonnet and the rest of the failed items I have tried under my wigs. I am almost ready to stop.wearing wigs :(

yorkpatties

I ordered the Swig Cap, it is pretty big. I have to work with it to figure out how to wear it.

How do you wear your hair under it? I wear a very short wig, like Nia Longs signature style. I've got a twa under it. I find myself having to tuck some of the pieces under the wig but it still looks natural.

sheanu

Thanks for the recommendations! Just ordered me a swigcap :woot: my dermatologist took one look at the wig cap I was using before and was like :nono: you need to get something natural, silk would be perfect lol

yorkpatties

yorkpatties thanks for the recommendation. i am tired of the wig cap/du-rag combo i got going on over here. i am just concerned about the fit and how snug it may not be

It's not snug to my scalp but it is snug around my edges, so it works! I just put my wig right on top and if a piece sticks out I tuck it in. It's not bulky, just takes a little getting used to because we're used to putting a wig over these nylon caps.

Last edited:

winona

yorkpatties

Thanks for the link:) I purchased a swig cap and it is very comfortable. Now I just got to figure out the best way to pin down my wig without pulling out my edges:)

reeko43

yorkpatties, I have the cap but have not worn a wig yet cause I am enjoying my new all natural hair, lol! However, I will be going back to my wigs soon. I don't see where you can pin a wig down while using the cap so how do you keep the wig secure on your head?

yorkpatties

reeko43 By the grace of God. LOL I was trying to pin my wig down at first, so a few times I put my bobby pin in such a way that it would be behind my ears, slip under the swig-cap and be secured to my cornrows underneath. I just BCed and my cornrows are no more, and I am no longer using any pins. I haven't had any issues yet *knocks on wood*.

reeko43

@reeko43 By the grace of God. LOL I was trying to pin my wig down at first, so a few times I put my bobby pin in such a way that it would be behind my ears, slip under the swig-cap and be secured to my cornrows underneath. I just BCed and my cornrows are no more, and I am no longer using any pins. I haven't had any issues yet *knocks on wood*.

I know that's right, lol! And congrats on your BC! I guess I will just go for it :yep: