KINKY CURLY REVIEW ON TEXLAXED HAIR

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
I have texlaxed, very fine, fragile, medium porosity, 3c hair that is 9 months post. (whew....mouth full!):lol:

I usually wear protective styles like half wigs or weaves, but i decided to give my hair a break and do a curly ponytail.

This is my first time using Kinky Curly products and I was on the fence a bit due to mixed reviews.

I used the Knot Today after my co wash and immediately had a love hate relationship with it. It gave lots of slip, but because i have two textures on my head, i was not feeling how it made my natural curls pop. they immediately curled up tight. i didn't like this response ONLY because i knew that would make it hard to get those curls to smooth out in to a ponytail holder. if my whole head was natural it would have been AWESOME!....i digress.

i rinsed it out and applied my regular leave in and proceeded to put my hair into a pony. this ponytail was really pretty in summer of 2011, which was the last time i saw her. however, now that those ends are older, they need a more "protective" product to tame frizz. the first picture is the pony without the KK products. this was a big time fail. the "tail" was frizzy, fried, and yuck looking!

i decided to keep my hair in a pony but to re-wet just the ends and apply the KK Knot Today to the ends and then apply the Curling Custard. I did it just as they demonstrate on their you tube video.

the result was fabulous! the second and third picture are my hair 50% dry and 100% dry with the KK products. no frizz. my hair dried a little "crunchy" but i referred to the video to remedy this. i put a TINY dab of hot six oil in my hands and gently scrunched the hair. problem solved!

I really like these products alot. If i ever have one texture of hair on my head i would use both products on my whole head. for now, i will continue to use both on the ends whenever i wear a ponytail. it really gave me a nice, protected, shiny, curly "tail".

Attachments

• photo(40).jpg
    photo(40).jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 413
  • photo(41).jpg
    photo(41).jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 413
  • photo(42).jpg
    photo(42).jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 428

NikkiQ

Looks awesome!! Glad you found a way to make them work without the dreaded crunch after affect. KCKT and KCCC are my staples when it comes to wash n gos.

Sunshine_One

Nice pony! :yep:

KCCC and Knot Today have been in my curly hair staple rotation for years (like when you had to order on online or at Ricky's in NYC). These products are also great for braid and twist out styles. I suggest you give those a try as well. That will allow you to stretch the new growth.

*Frisky*

I like it! I would say they are a keeper for you. I have yet to try Kinky Kurly products and probably won't hahaha

Bnster

Thanks very good to know what it and the method you used can do for your hair. Your hair looks real nice, making your curls pop out and doesn't look heavy weighted by products. Thanks for sharing, this just may help the frizz at my nape area where my hair is curly, real texturized. :grin:

ETA: What method of detangling did you use in both cases? Finger combing, detangling with a comb, etc? Thanks! I am finding fingering combing or leaving my area that frizz alone, low manipulation while drying helps with freq cowashing. I may look into this and taking notes. :grin:

Last edited:

Aggie

Your hair came out beautifully @havilland. Thanks for the KC review and tag but I have my staples already. I like Keracare Defining Custard and Fantasia IC polishing gel. Add a little oil and voila, perect curls without the crunch. Love it plus it's cheap!

Last edited:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Aggie thanks for the info on keracare! i love ic polishing gel. that's staple for me too. the ic dried my ends out though. i use the IC to smooth the hair before i put it in the pony holder. i never tried the keracare though....i have to check it out.

y'all forgive me, i just tagged ALL my friends....i just wanted you all to see me feeling my good hair day today! LOL thanks for the love :)

ajoke

I use the KCKT, but have yet to try the custard. Your hair looks fabulous, but I fear my fine,natural 4a hair has too much shrinkage for a wash and go using this product. Maybe a twistout ponytail....