Twist for Growth Challenge (Fall 2011)

faithVA

Been gone for the weekend ladies. So I'm back. A little tired but getting ready to do my hair.

Plaits vs. Twists
I've gotten a few questions about wearing braids instead of twists so had to think about it for a minute. I won't change the name of the challenge. This is still a twist challenge. But if you can't/don't wear twists for whatever reason, braids can be subsituted if you are wearing it as your primary style. By that I mean you are plaiting, cornrowing, french braiding your hair and wearing your hair in that style and not under wigs, weaves, extensions. The rest of the rules will still apply: min 5 days with only 2 days out.

faithVA

[USER=233618 said:
Sianna[/USER];14183651]
ETA: Are we allowed to do French braids and/or cornrows?

If you can't/don't wear twists for whatever reason, braids can be subsituted if you are wearing it as your primary style. By that I mean you are plaiting, cornrowing, french braiding your hair and wearing your hair in that style and not under wigs, weaves, extensions. The rest of the rules will still apply: min 5 days with only 2 days out.

faithVA

[USER=171298 said:
MzSwift[/USER];14184705]*sigh*
I've been thinking about this but twists are so bad on my hair. I end up with A LOT of shed hair (moreso than when I rock indiv natural braids) and tangles galore :(
I figure I must be doing something wrong. I will be lurking in this thread for tips.

I've had a few ask about braids instead of twists. If you can't/don't wear twists for whatever reason, braids can be subsituted if you are wearing it as your primary style. By that I mean you are plaiting, cornrowing, french braiding your hair and wearing your hair in that style and not under wigs, weaves, extensions. The rest of the rules will still apply: min 5 days with only 2 days out.

faithVA

[USER=131943 said:
silenttullip[/USER];14206291]I'd love to join this challenge but i get ssks when I do twists so I've been doing plaits instead can I still join? I really need the motivation to keep doing them and not messing with my hair.

I've had a few questions about wearing plaits instead of twists. If you can't/don't wear twists for whatever reason, braids can be subsituted if you are wearing it as your primary style. By that I mean you are plaiting, cornrowing, french braiding your hair and wearing your hair in that style and not under wigs, weaves, extensions. The rest of the rules will still apply: min 5 days with only 2 days out.

MzSwift

faithVA-
Thanks for replying. I'd feel bad about changing the challenge and I sincerely do want to learn how to make twists work for me.

I've already put in braid extensions for the month so I'm already disqualified. I'm gonna continue to lurk for tips and try twists for October. HHG ladies! :)

faithVA

[USER=171298 said:
MzSwift[/USER];14208305]@faithVA-
Thanks for replying. I'd feel bad about changing the challenge and I sincerely do want to learn how to make twists work for me.

I've already put in braid extensions for the month so I'm already disqualified. I'm gonna continue to lurk for tips and try twists for October. HHG ladies! :)

You weren't the only one that asked and you probably won't be the last. You can join at anytime. So if you reconsider at the end of the month, come on in.

GaiasDaughter24

I'm in!! I wore 3 flat twits for a month and retained all of my length. I want to reach APL by december so I think this will get me there. I'm also going to incorporate some braid styles as well. Loose twists used to tangle my hair but I think I will stretch the hair with braids until 70% dry and then do the individual twists. I think doing them soaking wet was the issue. This should help because with school full time, 2 kids and starting a new business I don't have much time for hair. Here are my stats:

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style) - 3 Flat twist. But I'll also do individual twists and some braid styles as well, but the 3 flat twists will be my signature.
Your twist care regimen - With the 3 flat twists I re-do them every 4 days or so. I' don't have one for the other styles yet.
What you hope to achieve by December - Hoping for APL by my sons birthday!!!
Anything else you would like to share.- Nothing at the moment :grin:

-PYT

Did my version of mini twists which are really just smaller twists than my usual. For some reason I don't really like them lol. I aim to keep them for up to 4 Weeks though

gigi2011

I'd like to join :wave:

Your go to twist style:
Two strand twist that I wear down, in updo's and on occasion twist'n curls. Want to get flat twisting down.

Your twist care regimen:
Detangle, wash, oil rinse, steam dc and apply my leave in every 2 weeks. Right now, (because I'm trying to use up products) I'm twisting with Afroveda cocolatte & Curls Goddess Curls gel. I spritz daily with either juices & berries or sheamoisture hold & shine moisture mist. I moisturize and seal every 3-4 days with Qhemet BRBC & OHHB.

What you hope to achieve by December: Healthy ends especially & retention.

Anything else you would like to share: I'm finding that I don't mind frizz I actually like my hair more 4+ days in :yep:

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
I took my twists town last night.
My scalp needed a good shampoo.

I will retwist either tonight or tomorrow.

faithVA

I am going to try to do 2 strand twists again as well. I mainly do flat twists, but they look like my avatar. When I try doing 2 strand twists on clean hair, it just doesn't work. I have to stretch it with a different style first or they look stupid. Maybe I am just not good at styling my hair. I don't plan on giving up, though.:nono: I will just flat twist and then turn them into 2 strands after the hair is stretched enough.:look:

DDTexlaxed, I may try this as well. After I shampoo I just want my hair done so I twist it and just let them shrink up. But maybe I will try doing flat twists first and then putting them in 2 strand twists over the next few days.

The only issue I have found is even my stretched hair shrinks back up after a day. But maybe stretching them this way may prevent them from unraveling as much as when I do them wet.

Your not alone in this though.

faithVA

All ladies that are not posting a starting pic, please still take a starting pic so you have something to post with your ending pic. Even if you end up with these great twists and amazing length at the end, the starting pic will help tell the whole story.

So still take your starting pic and mid-way pic. We will want to see all your pics. For those in things like HYH please show all your pics at the end.

Thanks ladies!

youwillrise

i realize that i never answered the original questions.

Your go to twist style (alternatively braid style)

i usually wear single, 2 strand twists. sometimes i will do 2 flat twists that usually wont stay in for more than a week...i will only do this if i get "lazy"...like i said before, most of the time i will just leave the oldd twists in until i'm ready to re-do them.

Your twist care regimen

i usually cleanse them once every 2 weeks and rinse & condition them twice a week, with one conditioning as a DC. i also do oil rinses...and seal in moisture with oyin burnt sugar pomade/castor oil.

What you hope to achieve by December

well, obviously some good growth. i dont want to give an exact length or anything.

faithVA

I am pretty sure what I apply before I twists affects how my twists look and how I am able to maintain them but I don't have a clue right now which products improve my twists. So over the next 4 months I hope to figure it out.

After I finish my wash regimen, I will applly a leave-in and a butter and then let my hair air dry at least 50%. It's getting late so don't want to wait too much. Then I will decide whether I will apply a gel when I twist. Going to try to do uniform 1" size twists. I will report back later.

Krystle~Hime

STYLES, STYLES, STYLES

Ladies, there are 16 weeks between now and January. I will try to find different twist styles and put them all in this one post. Over the next few weeks. If you have a link to a yt video or a website, etc of a style you like post it in this thread or pm me and I will add it to this post.

And if its alright with you ladies, I will use some of the pics already in this thread.

1: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=12845451&postcount=15

2: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=13073235&postcount=264

3: http://theglamourouslife.com/articles/african-american-twist-hairstyles.html

4: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=452976&highlight=twisted+styles

5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:

those links are greaaaaaaaat !!!!
you should add
http://youtu.be/FJ2ATbFEv9M

http://youtu.be/CW3XzoONY04
if I find more, I will share !!

Sorry PYT but... dammn your twists are so beautiful !! I want themmm !!!!!

Hair today, twisted for 5 days & already frizzy : (
View attachment 124123View attachment 124125
ecadnacmc that can not be possible.......... tell me you used a sock bun for doing this amazing bun !!!!! :lick::lick::lick::lick::spinning:

Kenny-Ann beautiful twists !! it seems that we have a similar routine, also lots of girl wear a 2 strand twists set for 2 weeks here !

Krystle~Hime

wash my hair in twists for the first time. Usually I first take them down, and start applying shampoo(liquid black soap) but I was so lazy, I shampooed first. and it results pretty great !!! Im gonna included this in my routine now !!

then deep treatment(indian powders'paste) leave in(banana conditiioner from THE BODY SHOP) + gel(homemade flaxseed gel) and I installed my medium twists. let's go for 2 new weeks !

youwillrise

i think next time i'm going to do thicker/juicier twists. i used to not like thick twists in my hair, but i'm starting to be more into them. they wont be super thick...maybe if i had more hair, i would do that. just thicker than usual. : )

i wanna try some new styles with the next set. i always do the same things. usually flat twisting or rolling and pinning the twists so the ends are hidden OR "bunning" (actually, just tucking the ends under in a ponytail) the back and pinning the front.

hopefully i can come up with something cute and interesting.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
i would love to join this challenge if my twists looked good. :( but they look so puny since my hair is so fine and not dense....
I'll probably attempt some tonight, and if they look decent, I'd be in.

faithVA

Put my hair in small twists (larger for me) last night. Tried to make them bigger than I usually do to reduce the time and to see if I could have better looking twists. After conditioning, I put in Zuresh leave-in, Earthen Springs Naturals shea butter mix and let it soak in. I then parted the hair in 1" sections and applied Joie Naturals gel and twisted.

I found that twistings with just a butter leaves my hair too soft and then it just looks fuzzy but applying the gel controls all of my flyaways so my twists look neater, firmer and have greater hold. I like the way the Joie Naturals gel feels on my twist. It's just a little hard to work with because it is such a firm gel.

I have a Zuresh gel but it is so sticky on the hair. Will try to mix this with flax seed gel to see if I can dilute it some.

Took pictures will try to post them tonight.

discodumpling

I would like to join please.

Your go to twist style: two-strand twists
  1. Your twist care regimen: Twist & wear in various styles till my hair threatens to loc!
  2. What you hope to achieve by December: A healthier crown & maybe a little more thickness!
  3. Anything else you would like to share:
Starting with these 3 day old pixie twists:

Thin on top...but i've been here before and am excited for the comeback!

faithVA

I would like to join please.

Your go to twist style: two-strand twists
  1. Your twist care regimen: Twist & wear in various styles till my hair threatens to loc!
  2. What you hope to achieve by December: A healthier crown & maybe a little more thickness!
  3. Anything else you would like to share:
Starting with these 3 day old pixie twists:

Thin on top...but i've been here before and am excited for the comeback!

:welcome: I almost thought those were pictures of my head. :look: :lol:

faithVA

Here are my starting pics. I typically don't take shots of the back of my hair because I really don't like the way it looks. But for an honest assessment here we go.

TwistWeek1Pic10.JPG

TwistWeek1Pic11.JPG

TwistWeek1Pic12.JPG

TwistWeek1Pic13.JPG

faithVA

[USER=32271 said:
Chameleonchick[/USER];14220833]So no twists under wigs?

If you are wearing the wig for a special occassion a day or two thats fine. But if wiggin it is your primary style than no not this time around.

Chameleonchick

I will have to watch from the sidelines I keep my hair in twists constantly but I change my look up too much. One day I'll have the wig and the next its not on :spinning:.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
I'm taking down this set of month old twists. I'm adapting the 5 day on / 2 day off rule to accommodate the 30+ days I've had mine in. Hopefully I'll bun this week; if not, I'll just have my hair in big braids under a scarf until I twist my hair again this weekend.

ETA: Fine haired ladies are posting pics! Yay! discodumpling and faithVA, your twists look good, especially for the size you both were able to make. Your twists look so much fuller than mine. :yep:

discodumpling

LOL! NappyNelle Girrrrrrlll I've been watching your hair for years! Seeing your last set of month old twists inspired me to join this challenge! Thx :)
faithVA...taking pics of my problem areas definitely helps me to stay focused on repairing and nurturing the area. This has been an incredibly stressful year...& it shows all up in my head!