Need Opinions about Weaving---Fast!...

henrilou

I made an appt. to weave next week, but now I am wondering if I should. I was going to get the sew-in kind (with cornrows). I thought it would be good to help get throught the winter without too much drama. My hair is long and I press it. My problem: My ends are fragile and if I weave it, will I damage my ends?? I was gonna weave to save my hair, not cause breakage. I was thinking that at this lenth would a weave cause more harm than good. What do you guys think?

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
I used to wear a weave. Yep, ol'Vibe has been there and back again with hairstyles,
Anyhoo!, weaves, like braids, won't do any snapping damage to your hair. Your scalp is another matter entirely; if you leave the weave in too long, no matter how much you wash your hair with it in, you'll have a dirty itchy scalp. To answer your question, weaves are an excellent way to set your hair over the winter without much manipulation, but you would get an A+ on hair and an A+ on scalp too, if you leave your hair in cornrows over the winter minus the sewed in hair.

But they are very pretty. You make the decision! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

henrilou

Thankyou! HoneyVibe your answer was right on time. I am just so afraid of blowing all this hard work and regretting something....Thanks again.

MSCHICHI

It is a great way to protect your hair, as long as you get it done the right way, and handle it correctly.

I used to always get cornrow and sew weaves. My hair only got messed up after I took it out and started manipulating it again.

If you really want to keep your hands out of your hair, try putting in a CLosure piece, or Master parting with the cornrow and sew method. I am not sure if you are familiar with these, but it has a natural skin part, with hair coming out of it. Do a quick search and you will see more info on these pieces. Another benefit with these, is you don't have to try to match your hair color and texture to blend in with the hair you are putting in, just get the closure piece to match. All of your hair would be in cornrows. I don't have first hand experience with these pieces, but I have seen the designs, and many have fantastic results.

Sindeee also had some good tips. She gets Kanekalon hair cornrowed in with her own to provide a stronger base. She also makes sure that no one rips in and out of her braids when sewing. That would cause major breakage. Make sure they go over and under with the needle.

Whatever you decide to put in, remember to brush through it gently. Yanking on it will pull on your cornrows and damage your hair.
HTH /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ART11

Henrilou - I've seen your hair and I cannot imagine how they are going to get all of that hair under a weave. You were bra strap last year and most likely a few inches longer this year. You have worn weaves in the past during the growing out stage. Don't you think it will end up being a bit bumpy at the track?

G

I had a weave that was a nightmare for my hair back in college. It was so pretty though, it was like this pretty cornrow pattern in the front, and in the back it was this big curly fro type hair, since my hair won't do that on it's own. I went to an African braiding salon, the braids were tooooooooo tight, my hairline suffered, I had these bumps and alot of hair breakage and hair loss. /images/graemlins/frown.gif If that's not bad enough, I'd spent over $200 to have it done. I wish I'd taken a picture b/c it was so pretty, but my hair will NEVER see the likes of a weave again. Just something to consider.

henrilou

Thanks you guys. I am going to the wig shop today to look at the closure pieces... I do have somewhat of a problem getting all my 'rows to lie flat because they are long. (that's why I stopped weaving last year) But my stylist said she could tuck the long ends in-between rows and sew it all flat before she started weaving. And thanks also for the over/under tip about sewing. I never thought of that but it makes sense not to sew INTO the braid.

Nyambura

surfer girl
Honey Vibe,
I see you are in the Twin Cities. Where did you get your weave done? Thanks in advance for your response.

Mahalialee4

Just curious Henrilou? My understanding is that you weaved to grow out your hair, and now that it is long, you want to weave to save it? Do you find that it is thinning out/ or do you just not want to manipulate it at all and continue to grow it even longer? How do you keep the scalp in top condition and clean and the hair moisturized when it is weaved up like that for long periods of time? I can see it being easier with box braids. I think if it were me, I would mess up that weave trying to wash it etc. I can see me now...Fright Lady, lol!!!! Oh well, obviously you know what you are doing, but I couldn't carry it off myself. Bonjour.

Sindeee

RULE #1

<font color="red">NEVER go to a African Hair Braiding Salon to get your weaves done, AT ALL...NEVER!!!! Braids, okay but Weaves NO WAY!!! If you do, you will regret it in the end...</font color> /images/graemlins/mad.gif

They use a whole different method for a sewn in weave that is just terrible to maintain and even worse to take out.

I learned the hard way when I tried to save a few bucks because I was going on vacation with my BF. Oh, of course it looked cute for the week but when it was time to take it out, I had a lot of broken and split hairs on the floor and on my scalp. This was more than a few years ago so my hair has since grown back, but that is one thing I'll never do again!

I cannot even go into detail on the crazy method they use to put the weave in but all I know is that it wreaked havoc on my scalp and hair upon taking it out!

Besides, have you ever looked at the hair condition of ladies that works in those salons? It's so dry and choppy looking. When you come in there with long, healthy hair they want to know how did they help you achieve such length and they can't do it for themselves.

Sindeee