First ever self-install...and I can't cornrow *pics*

princessnad

So I decided to do it myself after a bad experience where my head was killing me from the braids being too tight, the guy was rude, it was in his house AND he said the next time it would cost $350.

I am transitioning (2 years).

(click to enlarge all pics)
IMG00274-20091215-2214.jpg

My attempt at cornrows
IMG00302-20091215-2321.jpgIMG00306-20091215-2358.jpgView attachment 56352

Started sewing them on
IMG00325-20091217-0006.jpg

continued....

Last edited:
Are you sure this is your first install? This is perfectly gorgeous!! I need to do this for my daughter in a few weeks when her dance team goes to nationals...and I am partially clueless but determined to do it myself...I didnt know you could braid vertically for a sew in...how many rows of hair did you install and did you leave the top and back hair out?

princessnad

Are you sure this is your first install? This is perfectly gorgeous!! I need to do this for my daughter in a few weeks when her dance team goes to nationals...and I am partially clueless but determined to do it myself...I didnt know you could braid vertically for a sew in...how many rows of hair did you install and did you leave the top and back hair out?
Thanks! Yup, my very first. It's a huge accomplishment that it doesn't look a hot mess because I am stylistically challenged :lachen:

I didn't do too bad :D

Yes I left the back and the top out like in the pics I posted of my cornrow pattern. I left a pretty large horse shoe out at the top, an inch or so around the temple and about and inch and a half in the back.

I don't know how many rows exactly I did. I wasn't really keeping track but I would estimate around 15???? I could be totally off though.

princessnad

Oh, and a clearer one from the back
IMG00336-20091217-0227.jpg

One from the top. Didn't do so well with the flat ironing though lol
IMG00341-20091217-0235.jpg

Thanks SweetCaramel1! Gotta think about what to do with the $350.

Very Nice!!:grin: You did a wonderful job....and you have inspired me to feel confident about doing this...just think if you did your own hair surely I can do someone else's

Good job girl!! :yep:

yardyspice

I am impressed! You did an amazing job and here are my questions?
Did you use a net? I couldn't tell.
How long did it take you? I would think that since you are only sewing the track onto a few braids it wouldn't take that long.
What kind of hair did you use?
Did you use any youtube videos as a guide?

Sorry about all the questions but I've been wondering if I could do a self install since I can't cornrow to save my life. That way I could get the best hair I can afford.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
How do you take it off? Looks great!:yep: Knowledge is definitely power. I want to learn how to braid so I don't have to pay others.:yep:

lwilliams1922

wow! Lovely!

more details please. Maybe I could try this for my daughter. I had NO idea weaves cost $350!

What kind of hair did you use? What kind of thread?

JadeFox

great job!! i just mastered braiding my own hair with extensions and you've motivated to try installing my own weave.

Keedah

Looks great! I just did my first self install yesterday so I know how much of an accomplishment it is. And my braids look horrible! Yours are 10 times better than mine lol

naturalmanenyc

$350!!! That is outrageous unless it's for a sew-in with the hair included. The most I paid for sew-ins in NYC is $200.

Great job!!! I am impressed with the self installs. If I had ever learned to do my own sew-ins, I could have saved a ton of money.

Geminigirl

Very pretty. You did great. I have been thinking about doing this as well but I don't want to leave hair out so I was worried about it looking TOO fake. Your eyes are also freakishly pretty. I mean that in a nice way.

Liberianmami26

wow that came out nice im cornrolled challenged myself and this is the next thing i want to diy ive already done the box braids with success u inspire us challenged folks lol

blueberryd

MY GAWD!!! Looks great!! Let me ask you---how much trouble was it/how much of your time did it take? I know $350 is a RIDICULOUS amount for a sew-it but if you found some1 who would do it for $50 would you still do it yourself? I ask bc i was debating going to a $50 weave shop but u hv inspired me to try a self-install--as i can't cornrow either

andromeda

That turned out pretty darn good, OP! :yep: It looks very natural and the cornrowing looked just fine. I'm absolutely terrified by the idea of self-installing a sew-in but it's definitely worth saving $350 (which is how much I used to pay, SMeffinH.:nono:).

Stepiphanie

Hello darling!! You did a good job! It's definitely the year of the self install, I may have to do one soon. I love your curls btw, sooo pretty!

Jewell

Muy bonita senorita! I can't believe you said you can't cornrow and you did that! Like Monique says {in Monique voice} "Baby, you DID THAT!!" It's very pretty, and fits you. Might I add that your natural hair is very pretty too!

I wish I could cornrow that well on my own hair. If I could, I would be rocking a new install every month!! I know I can do the sewing part, but my fingers just don't do right when it comes to the braiding. {SIGHS} Oh well, maybe I can start making some extra hustle cash by doing it (sew-ins) for my mom or sisters (I can at least cornrow others).