BRAZILIAN KERATIN TREATMENT / TANAGRA - Permanent Hair Repair

meaganita

gn1g said:
this sounds like one of those 7 day perms, or any of the natural perms with keratin mixed in.

I hear you on that one!:ohwell: However, I did find the site of the lady who patented it and brought it from Brazil to the US. There's some decent information here. Here's the link to the FAQ page: http://www.braziliankeratin.com/

I was looking for info on how long this has been around...Does anyone remember "Rio" the "all natural" fruit relaxer/straightener from the '90s (something like that)? It was so natural that the guy doing the demo was actually eating it in the infomercials!! Everyone was swearing by it (Oprah, Halle Berry, etc.)...until it made everyones hair fallout!:eek: Hate to sound so cynical, but I need to see someone's long-term results first. I've worked too hard on getting my hair healthy to lose it all now~ Still trying to keep an open mind though...

Does anyone know how long this has been out, or know of anyone who's used it for a year or more?:look:

meaganita

Hmmm...the website also states that the FDA recommends discontinuing use while pregnant or nursing? What would the problem be if it's an all natural product being applied externally to the hair? Pregnant/nursing people get chemical relaxers all the time....so what's the difference? I'd think a lye relaxer or even a no-lye relaxer would be more harmful?

Can anyone shed some light on this? :perplexed

nissi

i did research it when Bahati Seey first talked about it and raised up the hype! ETA: and yes, atlanta ladies it is definitely done right in your city!

here's the link:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=119289&highlight=brazilian

The reason that pregnant women should not use it is because the keratin process is sealed into the hair cuticle with formaldehyde! Right, like embalming fluid... (sigh...hmm.) :perplexed so i really don't know...(sigh. hmm...) Also, many doctors recommend that pregnant women not get perms so that is more food for thought!

Obviously, I have mixed feelings about it so i haven't really pursued it, but I mean as long as the safety regulations are followed, it's really no different from a lye or no-lye perm. So there you have it! What you think??? :lol: HTH! HHG!

Last edited:

meaganita

nissi said:
i did research it when Bahati Seey first talked about it and raised up the hype! ETA: and yes, atlanta ladies it is definitely done right in your city!

here's the link:

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=119289&highlight=brazilian

The reason that pregnant women should not use it is because the keratin process is sealed into the hair cuticle with formaldehyde! Right, like embalming fluid... (sigh...hmm.) :perplexed so i really don't know...(sigh. hmm...) Also, many doctors recommend that pregnant women not get perms so that is more food for thought!

Obviously, I have mixed feelings about it so i haven't really pursued it, but I mean as long as the safety regulations are followed, it's really no different from a lye or no-lye perm. So there you have it! What you think??? :lol: HTH! HHG!

Interesting...Can't wait to find out how this works out for some of these ladies. Especially the natural & transitioning 4a & 4b ladies.

tnorenberg

LongLocksBoca said:
I just had it done @ Mario & Co. in Boca. Anyone is South Florida thinking about having this done, I would highly recommend this salon. The stylists name who performed my treatment was Lori, and she walked me through the whole process and made me feel totally comfortable!

It has been several weeks, and my hair is perfectly straight! It comes out of the shower and stays straight, no frizz, and it dries much more quickly!

Definitely get it done, it is SO worth it! I can't believe I used to iron/blow dry every day to get these results!

Not anymore!!

Calling LongLocksBoca....calling LongLocksBoca we want an update & pricice details.

Moroni

This technique sounds like the answer I've always dreamed of inventing. However, I think I'll wait until the carrier/medium used is non-toxic AND until the result is as permanent as a relaxer....I want to have to treat the NG only.

We might not hear anything else from LLBoca, who said she'd had it done. It seems that she hasn't posted since the day in April when she joined and posted for about 20 minutes about a Salon in Boca Raton performing the Brazilian Keratin Treatment.

cutiebe2

Ladies-
please stay away from this the October issue of Allure had an article on products like this

it says that the active ingriedient in keratin...but the formaldehyde is what is at work

this product was tested and had 5.2% formaldehyde....the safe amount is .2%

the chemical is a carcenogen.....I am not willing to risk cancer for silky hair:nono:

you should do a search on Brazilian straightener and their safty..you will find some disturbing info

ETA: even though online there are some that say Formaldehyde free..sometimes the company puts it in anyway

lisana

Please read the info on this link

The Brazilian Keratin Treatment contains formaldehyde and it is the formaldehyde that straightens and NOT THE KERATIN. That is a lie being spread to sell the product. Formaldehyde is used to EMBALM THE DEAD. There have been reports of people using gas masks to apply this poison to customers hair because of the fumes. Salons in the U.S. are starting to use this and it is quickly becoming the next "it" treatment but the salon professionals are not medical professionals. They are not researchers/scientists. They believe what the suppliers tell them but the suppliers are not scientists either. Please stay far away from this product. It is not for us, it's not for anyone. IT IS POISON, please listen and tell any woman interested in this procedure what the deal is.

Moroni

Hmm. Sounds like an excellent opportunity for someone TO TAKE THIS IDEA TO BOND KERATIN TO HAIR'S WEAKEST AREAS AND STRAIGHTEN AT THE SAME TIME WITHOUT TOXIC CHEMICALS....any takers here on the board, you brainy chemist types???? All we need is a formula that will liquify keratin, then another "activator" that will lock the bonds back together once it's on the hair. Just because someone (probably a man...not too many lazy women out there, right? :grin:) wasn't quite thinking clearly and used the most convenient solvent, doesn't mean we should let this excellent idea go to waste. Whattaya say??? ANYONE????

Last edited:

lisana

The Keratin does not straighten, the formaldehyde does. It's not an excellent opportunity. don't believe the hype ladies.

Moroni

I contacted the Straighten My Hair guys, and this is the reply I received:

"Hi-- the ingredients distilled water- ether alcohol ppg1-hydrolyzed keratin-creatine extracts-hydrolyzed wheat protein-polyquatemium 44- silicone-citric acid- panthenol -mineral oils- keratin extracts- botanical extracts-cacao extracts . the ether alcohol is the the the replacement for the formald. you can google and see that they are not harsh chemicals in fact if you are familiar with redkin shades eq that ingredient is used in their shine product that has been around for at least 15 years. The treatment is amazing and i have nothing but great results using it. i have it in my hair as well..." www.straightenmyhair.com I just wanted to know "the rest of the story" as far as this procedure goes, and just in case anyone was interested as well.

cutiebe2

"Hi-- the ingredients distilled water- ether alcohol ppg1-hydrolyzed keratin-creatine extracts-hydrolyzed wheat protein-polyquatemium 44- silicone-citric acid- panthenol -mineral oils- keratin extracts- botanical extracts-cacao extracts . the ether alcohol is the the the replacement for the formald. you can google and see that they are not harsh chemicals in fact if you are familiar with redkin shades eq that ingredient is used in their shine product that has been around for at least 15 years. The treatment is amazing and i have nothing but great results using it. i have it in my hair as well..." www.straightenmyhair.com I just wanted to know "the rest of the story" as far as this procedure goes, and just in case anyone was interested as well.

To be honest this is not true. The only thing that gets hair that straight and silky is the formaldehyde. It also can't be the same amount(.2%)..it has to be a high concentration to do anything. Please do not think about doing this process anymore:ohwell:

lejardinier

This is a dangerous process, both for the person getting this process and the the person applying it. Read the articles. Don't do it. Don't believe the hype. It's false and extremely dangerous.

lisana

Unless those guys have research credentials behind their names then they are not qualified to dispute the EVIDENCE that shows that the product has formaldehyde in it. The Brazilian Keratin Treament uses Formaldehyde to straighten, the keratin does not straighten the hair, that is a LIE. Please start educating yourselves with this article and research more in order to empower yourselves. Do not take the word of a stylist with a website. Read what the research says, people who have actually tested the product and are not just going by the word of the suppliers. Sorry if the truth is shattering someone's dream but your dream can't stand on top of a lie.

Last edited:
Hmm. Sounds like an excellent opportunity for someone TO TAKE THIS IDEA TO BOND KERATIN TO HAIR'S WEAKEST AREAS AND STRAIGHTEN AT THE SAME TIME WITHOUT TOXIC CHEMICALS....any takers here on the board, you brainy chemist types???? All we need is a formula that will liquify keratin, then another "activator" that will lock the bonds back together once it's on the hair. Just because someone (probably a man...not too many lazy women out there, right? :grin:) wasn't quite thinking clearly and used the most convenient solvent, doesn't mean we should let this excellent idea go to waste. Whattaya say??? ANYONE????

I think I know what you mean. I agree with you. I've always wished I could (or someone else could) create a relaxer that is actually good for the hair--you know, the way water straigthens the hair. The problem is it doesn't stay there. If there was a way to bond keratin or oil to the hair and have it permanently sealed to the hair, without harmful chemicals, that would be wonderful. :yep:

I know this sounds like a hopeless fantasy, and maybe it is, but you never know. We've come to know of all kinds of natural elements that straighten hair (henna, coconut milk & lime, MSM, Sillica), the problem is finding something that will make these elements permamently bond to the hair. Like Moroni said, with all the "brainy chemist types" on this board, surely we can come up with something better than the BKT, right? :grin:

:look: No stones please--just something to think about! :scratchch

lisana

And when someone does come up with this new HG, please list the REAL ingredients...don't say it contains olive oil and rose hip when it really contains nitroglycerin and dog poop. :drunk::nono::lachen:

Lovelylocs

I'm afraid to use this product, even the protein one. It is so expensive and I don't even know how it compares to aphogee. Is this stuff supposed to be more effective than aphogee?

Lovelylocs

I would also like to add that this seems overhyped to me. :ohwell: It says that u need 3 to 4 treatments. :huh: Do u guys remember that regimen for severely damaged hair where u have to do protein treatments for like a week straight or smthg? This sounds similar to me. I bet this stuff is no different than the other reconstructors on the market, except that it is more dangerous b/c u have to use a mask if u are pregnant or apply it often. I'm also going to assume that it smells since they recommend a mask. :ohwell: I'm imagining the smell of a nail salon. :down:

No Thanks. I'll save my hundred and smthg bucks.