Letting You Hair Breathe, Thoughts?

Is it necessary to let your hair breathe from protective styling

• As long as you take care of you hair while in the PS it isn't necessary.

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Yes, No matter how you care for your hair it will suffer from constant protective styling

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • If you have fine strands protective styling consistently will damage it.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • If you have medium strands protective styling consistently will damage it.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • If you have thick or course strands protective styling consistently will damage it.

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Lylddlebit

I hear people tell me to let my hair breath, often, since I wear braids so much. What do you all think about this idea? I'm curious how many women believe it's necessary to let your hair breathe because protective styling(hide your hair, buns, weaves, baggying, wigs, braids etc) on a regular basis is commonly referenced as the difference in reaching hair goals. What do you think?

tailormade84

from my experience (10+years) of braiding, its important to let your hair "breathe" between braids/twists in which you add extensions (its nice to let it rest at least 1-2 weeks, but i remember reading that [the amount of time you let your hair breath = 1/2 the amount of time your hair was in extensions].)

i don't think "letting my hair breathe" between twists/braids with just my hair is crucial - i just do it because i like to be able to see my hair out :)

Ediese

I always take between 2-4 weeks sometime more between installs to properly nourish my hair when I take down my weaves. I try to make sure it's in tip top shape before I get another sewin.

Lucky's Mom

I have read conflicting info on this......
But I think it is a good idea to allow hair to gain a different memory for a bit between protective styles.

msa

I think it depends on your regimen while in the protective style and your specific hair characteristics.

For instance Nonie can keep her braids in a whole year. But she washes and dc's twice a week with them in and redoes them during that time. The difference is, she does them herself so she can gauge the right amount of extension hair to use and not braid too tight or part too small.

Personally, I think it's necessary for your hair to breathe if the style weakens your hair. Braids (with extensions) for me are a no-no so I could never do them back to back. But weaves and wigs I can do for months at a time with no problem. My hair is fine-med and the weight of braids is too much (and basically rips out the weaker parts like my edges) whereas weaves and wigs don't cause stress on my hair.

msa

I have read conflicting info on this......
But I think it is a good idea to allow hair to gain a different memory for a bit between protective styles.

Good point. I think that's especially important when parting. If you part at the same place over and over again you may find that area becoming thinner than other areas of your hair.

cmw45

I have a formal event on June 17th that I would like to where my hair pressed for (haven't pressed in months and then only to trim) but I am then planning on going on a 2 year Crown & Glory personal challenge. I was planning on wearing the front cornrowed and the back in individuals, redowing the cornrows once a month and the individuals every three months. I was planning on taking a two week break in between session to let my hair "rest" but you bring up a really good point. Isn't the hair "resting" when it is in the braids, cornrows, weave, etc.? What is the real necessity of the break between sessions. I think that the break might be to give you a chance to really deep condition and wash your entire head, but still it doesn't seem like it would take two weeks to do that. Like, why couldn't you put the braids or whatever back in only a couple of days? Do you only need to take the break when using additional hair? Could they go right back in if it's only your hair?

Is there anyone out there that is a consistent braider, weaver, etc.?

Hopefully Mook, Edinise or another nowledgeable LHCFer will stop in.

msa

^^^I'm sure Nonie will come in here at some point. She's a consistent braider.

LushLox

I'm a big believer in it. :yep:

I've persistently put pressure on my hair by doing the same styles all the time and not switching up. So now I incorporate very loose styles where my hair is not pressurised in anyway. Subsequently my nape and hairline are thriving now.

I wish I could do weaves and braids as I think I would do so well in retaining length, but I just know it won't work for me. So I have to continue what does work.

JusticeMe

I think it depends on what type of protective styling you're doing. If you're always in braids you should definitely wait a period of time before rebraiding.

If you're doing wash n go's I think you're pretty safe. But if you're doing rollersets or similar styles be careful because those require a bit of combing and hair manipulation while it's wet.

Also, bunning and styles that require you to always pull you're hair back that can be extremely damaging too. causing breakage at the point of the bun from tension. SO generally I'd say just switch it up for you're hairs' sake.

Lylddlebit

Thanks for all the responses. I didn't leave my opinion. I think that the wearer can still cause damage to hair while it is in a protective style but the style in itself being damaging (taking into account that its not pulling your hair too tight and your hair and scalp is being taken care of ... I'm not so sure...I've seen hair grow out many times with it).

ETA: I am going to try this letting your hair breathe thing to see if it makes a difference on my head though.

Last edited:

Luscious Locks

In general I do believe that hair should breathe whether it is relaxed, natural, styled or unstyled. I don't like cones and I just found out that I don't like mineral oil either. I just recently did an experiment where I started incorporating products with mineral oil into my regi and my ends are rebelling against me. It just coats my hair and smothers out any natural shine I've got.

Although this is slightly off topic I think it's similar in theory to "letting hair breathe". I think that protective styling is great, but anything done in excess is too much--including protective styling.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Whoops, I voted before reading the post :ohwell: I thought you were talking about styles like buns and things and voted that you don't need to let your hair breathe. But with braids and weaves, I think it's important to baby your hair with moisture and protein to prepare it for the next set of braids/weave

CurliDiva

I personally think that as long as you properly take care of your hair, it will thrive without letting it "breathe".

If you neglect your hair (ex. not moisturizing, dry scalp or no washing to preserve the style) while in braids or weave; then YES you need time for your hair to recover.

But you can cause mad damage to your hair during this so-called “rest” period by things such as rough detangling, too tight buns or using heat to style.

I always thought "breathe" was a weird term to use:rolleyes:.....I do believe it is important to change your part pattern just to relive the tension on the scalp repeatedly in the same area.

spellinto

This is just from personal experience so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Even though I have relaxed hair, my strands are pretty thick. Up until recently, I protective styled 99.9% of the time (buns). I retained a lot of length with buns, but my ends also began to thin out from being constantly damped with water/moisture and then immediately twisted and manipulated into a bun afterwards (granted, I was also stuffing my thick hair into tight buns to "protect" my ends). The weird thing is that my hair always felt better when I wore it out/took it down after a long day, but I would still choose to PS constantly because that's what I learned was best for retaining length. During my last stretch, I bunned for six months straight (few exceptions) and ended up having to trim a lot of length off to even my hair out and recover from split ends. My hair is still a little damaged from all that bunning, but it's in a much better state. Right now I am rocking ponytails, low manipulation styles (braidouts/bantu knot outs), french rolls, and/or LOOSE messy buns and my ends look much better than they would otherwise. For me, letting my hair "breathe" actually improved the health and resilience of my strands.

Also, I always take my hair down at night and just pin my ends up and cover with a scarf. The tension from sleeping in a tight bun/updo doesn't sound healthy to me. I'm also wary of wearing braids/wigs/etc. for a long periods, as I've had many family members who have suffered through thinning and breakage from wearing their hair in these styles for months at a time.

Last edited:

almond eyes

I think it depends. The top of your hair represents your crown chakra. I would say that if your hair has extensions like weaves and braids and you keep this as your main style, your hair (scalp) is not going to breathe which I think can effect your overall health.

But if you braid your own hair (not tight) or bun it regularly (not tight), your hair is breathing, you aren't putting anything fake on top of your hair that your scalp doesn't recognize.

Best,
Almond Eyes

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
My hair is always breathing. I can't with the bondage of braids and weaves. I can't wash my hair when I want, can't get to my scalp freely. I'd rather not do that and so far so good. I keep it moisturized and it's flourishing.

Mz.MoMo5235

I think its all about technique. For example one person can wear phony ponies all year long and retain all of their growth, another will receive major breakage.

My hair mantra is "listen to your hair" She will let you know if she needs breathing or not.

iVR

I think its all about technique. For example one person can wear phony ponies all year long and retain all of their growth, another will receive major breakage. My hair mantra is "listen to your hair" She will let you know if she needs breathing or not.

Don't phony ponies still allow your hair to breathe?

lamaria211

I kept my hair braided up under wigs for 2 years straight when I BC and it grew longer than it's ever grown.
I say suffocate her!
P.S. I have thick 4b hair

bellebebe

Maybe because weaves put some stress on the hair strands? It's beneficial to have the hair be stress free for a while.