First ever self-install...and I can't cornrow *pics*

Kneechay

woooooow

I feel so whack looking at this. I watch my stylist Tinnell install some weave and I think I can do it on other people, but definitely not on my own head. On the real, the cornrows don't have to be perfect, just as long as your pattern isn't damaging for the edges. You did a good job and it's motivated me to go ahead and practice more. I encourage you to keep doing it and do it on others too. Look up braiding patterns and before you know, you can charge money to be doing this. I'm really impressed and lightweight embarrassed at myself at the same time.

orangepeel

Add me to the list of women you have inspired. You know when you come back in here you have to tell us how you learned (pretty please).

Excellent job! :clapping:

princessnad

I am impressed! You did an amazing job and here are my questions?
Did you use a net? I couldn't tell.
How long did it take you? I would think that since you are only sewing the track onto a few braids it wouldn't take that long.
What kind of hair did you use?
Did you use any youtube videos as a guide?

Sorry about all the questions but I've been wondering if I could do a self install since I can't cornrow to save my life. That way I could get the best hair I can afford.

I did not use a net. It took me a total of 5 hours. One night I washed my hair and did the cornrows (3 hours). I wore a wig the next day and at night I sewed in the tracks and styled (2 hours)

I used Outre Remi Velvet hair. I reused some of the hair that I took out from the professional install I had before (threw out the damaged tracks) and used some unused left overs from the 2 packs that I bought.

I attempted to use youtube as a guide especially for the cornrow pattern part but there was very little that I found really helpful. At first I was trying to do the pattern where you go in a circle (like a cinnabun) but it was too difficult for me. So I checked bhm and there was this girl used the pattern that I ended up using on her friend. On her friend, it turned out excellent! I was sold.
One thing I learned from youtube was this white girl who did this special reinforced stitch. I tried but it was too hard for me so I did the simple stiches that I had always seen at the salon.

How do you take it off? Looks great!:yep: Knowledge is definitely power. I want to learn how to braid so I don't have to pay others.:yep:
To take it off I just went through and cut the thread and pull them out. I asked my SO for help where I couldn't see. He was so sweet and helped me with both the install and take down :grin:

MY GAWD!!! Looks great!! Let me ask you---how much trouble was it/how much of your time did it take? I know $350 is a RIDICULOUS amount for a sew-it but if you found some1 who would do it for $50 would you still do it yourself? I ask bc i was debating going to a $50 weave shop but u hv inspired me to try a self-install--as i can't cornrow either
Thanks for the compliment! It did take a lot of trouble. I figure that if I get more practice, it would be much easier. I am not used to doing anything to my hair, not even braids or special buns. So for someone else who is more used to styling, this would probably be much simpler.

I would honestly be weary of a place that only cost $50. I would feel like they do not value their own work and wouldn't care too much about the health of my hair. But if the shop is reputable and costumers have something positive to say about it then I would probably go for it. In fact, I am going to Mexico in February and I am going to get a kinky weave installed by a stylist recommended by a friend in the $175-$200 range. I am too busy now with traveling and interviews and it is crunch time at work so I'm just too tired and busy to do it myself. But in the future in a less stressful time, I am definitely going to continue practicing. I am not much of a weave girl so I don't think I will be doing many more installs especially after I BC. But if I do, I hope to do it myself. An extra $200 is a lot to spend on something you can do yourself, applying the knowledge and care that you know your hair deserves. A stylist will never have as much invested in caring for your hair as you do.:yep:

princessnad

I gave myself layers to frame my face.

ignore looking up my nose

Attachments

• IMG00358-20091217-0252.jpg
    IMG00358-20091217-0252.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

princessnad

Hello darling!! You did a good job! It's definitely the year of the self install, I may have to do one soon. I love your curls btw, sooo pretty!

:wave:Hey Stepha :wave:
Thanks. I can't wait for my kinkicurls to grow out so I can wear them out! Longest.transition.evah!!

You should def do a self install. I'll help if ya want.:yep:

princessnad

You did a great job! Your eyes are pretty too!

Nice job!! This looks so good.

wow, you did an excellent job!! And you are sooo adorable!

I think you did a fantastic job! Your eyes are gorgeous btw!!

You did a very good job:) It looks very natural.

INSPIRATION!

Wow, your hair looks fabulous!

Thanks guys. Glad I could provide some Hairspiration.