everyone has such pretty hair!

beana3

i wish mine would look like ALL the ladies who have posted pics!! /images/graemlins/confused.gif what am i doing wrong?????
Currently im wearing protective styles or cornrows, I do think these are helping its just a matter of me waiting about 6months to see results. (sounds soo long but i know it'll be here in no time)
I have noticed much improvement in my hair since i've been taking my vits regularly and applying vit e oil to my cscalp evey other day. I figure a few more months of this will produce great results.
Also my hair is like armyqt's length, mine just looks horrible compared to hers!! Her ends are so lively and even. mine are scraggly (not so much split ends but an uneven hair growth pattern) and uneven. I want to grow at least 3or 4 more inches of hair by april so i can cut 2-3 inches off and have better looking ends. I just want healthy looking hair, my current length is fine but i wouldn't mind any extra at all!
just wanted to share. <font color="blue"> </font color>

nita4

beana3,

I know how you feel. I have looked at the posted pictures and thought the same thing. Their hair pics are pretty!! I'm sure it took most of these ladies months/years and a lot of patience to get to where they are now. They deserve the beautiful hair they have and they are an inspiration to me. Have patience, you'll get there. Me too!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

SVT

Nita4 said it. <font color="purple">Patience </font color>

It's taken me almost a year of trial and error to nurse my hair back to health.
I started in December '01, about a month before I discovered the hairboards. I'm almost where I want to be in terms of hair health. I gotta ways to go for length though.

One of these days I'll post my pic.

Armyqt

Beana thank you very much for the compliment. Of course you know we all try to put our best foot forward. That day in particular I was having a good hair day. I stil have a ways to go also in tems of health and length. I'd like to get a good trim, but I'm gonna wait till January. I'm gonna relax in December. What is your routine? (I wish we had a place where we could all go and post our routines online and place a link to them). Actually, I have never really been into hair and my hair stayed pretty much a few inches below my shoulders for a while. The biggest problem I had to combat was dryness (no-lye relaxers) and breakage, /images/graemlins/smile.gifwhich I consistently work on by doing deep conditioners. It's a neverending process. We just have to vigilant and don't get discouraged. Thanks again for the nice words.

Shaunie

I just thank the lord for this site. I have been learning so much by reading through many of the posts. It seems like I've never been able to grow my hair longer than right below the nape of my neck. It's like my hair knows when it gets to a certain length then sends a message like "okay we've reached the limit you guys can take off until next summer"! Anyway I've been trying with the vitamins; staying away from heating appliances; washing my hair twice weekly and sleeping on a satin pillowcase. We'll see what happens - I will definately keep you guys posted.

Has anyone ever tried the Flourish! program. I read about Flourish on another site and people were raving about it. Also what is this Bargello vitamin routine I keep hearing about. Sorry to be full of questions. I'm finally taking my hair seriously and I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Shaunie
Brooklyn

beana3

<font color="blue"> </font color> to shuanie: no i've never heard of the "Flourish" program but i'd like to hear more about it! its sounds like something i might be interested in (Basically im into anything that seems sensible and claims to aid in hair growth)

Armyqt: Well my regime kinda goes like this... i just think about what my hair may need for the week and use products that will help it. for example my hair seems to like a lot of moisture right now. I wash 1x per week

i do an olive oil preshamp and let it soak either overnight or for 20 minutes w/ heat and 40 minutes w/o.
then i wash w/ creme of nature shamp and lather 2x
(green bottle)
then i deep condition w/ Queene Helen Placenta creme for 1hr w/ heat
I apply hollywood beauty carrot creme as a leave in and some hask placenta leave in ... helps w/ detangling
and blow dry (i figure since i dont use heat at any other time during the week this is ok. plus i loose WAYY less hairs during the week )
I wear protective styles most of the time or braids

w/ protein i just substitute aphogee treatment/ or nexxus emergencee in place of deep conditioning and use a moisturizer afterwards.
and i try to space them out every 4-6 weeks and before my relaxer.
what regime have you developed??? what are your fav products???? your hair is really thriving

Armyqt

Hey Beana, sounds like you're doing all the right things regime wise. If you don't think your hair is the bet it can be, then maybe u should look into changing products. The very best I've ever used and will continue to use is the Elucence line (moisture balancing shampoo and conditioner). I also use Joico Integrity leave-in conditionre spray. I have absolutely no problems at all with detangling and lose very little hair. The other product I use (just started) is the Keracare detangling shampoo and the Keracre Humecto conditioner (very moisturizing). These seem to work very well for me. As far as Aphogee goes I've never used it, but have heard good and not so good. For protein I'm using the Elucence Extended Repair Treatment (works very well). I was and deep condition w/heat 20-30 min, 2x per week. Sometimes I do a pre-olive treatment. I try to air dry as much as possible, but sometimes I use a blowdryer. I wear my hair in a ponytail 90% of the time. As far as moisturizers go, I like WGO, keracare silken seal, Dudley's PCA Moisture retainer, and I have a homemade shea butter mixxture for my scalp. That's basically it. What is it exactly that you're not happy with concerning your hair? HTH

Armyqt

Hi Shaunie, welcome to the board. I'm happy for u that you've made a concious decision to start taking good care of your hair. What type of vitamins are u taking? Bargello is a lady from another site who came up with a vitamin program which she says gave her 1-2 in of growth per month. many ladies here follow some sort of modified Bargello routine.

When you are washing your hair, what type of products are u using? Do you deep condition w/heat? Do u do a protein treatment ocassionally? Do u blowdry rollerset or air dry?

Don't worry girl. You will have beautiful hair in no time. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shaunie

Thanks Armyqt,

I am happy to be here - at last! I need all the advice and tips I can get.

As far as vitamins go I've been taking; Nature's Bouty Vitamins for the Hair, Centrum MultiVitamin, Solgar 1200mcg Biotin daily (2 600 mcg pills), Soy Lecithin, Omega 3 Fatty Acids and Vitamin B6.

I use Creme of Nature Shampoo (I've used it for years and I love the way it makes my hair feel - soft and manageable). I deep condition usually with Cholesterol but I recently started using Motions CPR. After I wash my hair I usually use Frizz Ease then I spray in a leave in ( Elan Plus Leave-In Reconstructing Treatment). I will either air dry, sit under a hooded dryer or let my hair dry in a ponytail. When my hair is dry I will spray on some Shine (a generic version of Biosilk that I get from Sally's). I'm to lazy to roller set my hair. Also many times when I use rollers it's too curly and I end up looking like a Q-tip! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm sure there's alot more I should be doing but I'm not sure exactly. Also I am open to trying new products.

Thanks for "listening".

Shaunie

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
Beana3, I hear you! The hair here is so beautiful and long; I felt a bit self concious with my TWA, talking about how I can't wait to grow it out. Don't worry, there are plenty of people here in the same boat as you! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hairfanatic

Hi beana3,

Before the hair boards, I was so frustrated with my hair also. Since my doctor recommended I didn't relax anymore, I didn't know what to do. I had no appreciation what so ever for my natural hair /images/graemlins/crazy.gif.

I had to learn from trial and error (still learning). /images/graemlins/tongue.gif It takes time and especially patience. I would look in the mirror every day hoping to see length. After awhile I just started putting in what I was learning from the hair boards and investigating products and vitamins that worked and didn't work. The vitamins was the first step to get me on my way.

I am also a walking beauty salon /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Every product someone mentions, I'm willing to try (wasn't good at times). I then had to learn to find a product that worked and be consistent and stick with that one product. By the way, what products are you using? If you are not happy with your hair, maybe the products you use are drying to your hair. Notice every single thing about your hair. Be your own hair care expert. Know when it sheds, why it sheds, what products make it hard, etc. We are here to help /images/graemlins/wink.gif Many of us have been where you were but stay at this board and watch your hair blossom /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne0914

beana, i think quite a few of us started where you're at. personally though, my hair was much shorter than yours when i began growing it the right way two years ago. the waiting is really hard, but if you keep it simple, give it TLC and are consistent with your regime, you will see results!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne

beana3

honestly the products that I have been using lately have made my hair feel sooo much better than what i was experimenting with before. I feels more moisturized and has better shine. the queene helene conditioner works really well on my hair.
i'm still in search for a good leave-in, the hask is fine, but im scared of the alcohol content and decided to rotate it w/ my nexxus but i dont like the rotation.
i want a creamier leave-in that will help with detangling.

My PROBLEM with my hair is that it grows in very thick and fades in thickness at the ends, BUT its not ALL damage. its just wayy thinner than the starts of it. I feel like cutting my length sooo bad at times, but i figured the protective styles would help me muscle it through while my hair catches up at the ends.
also at times it looks very dry and lifeless. I haven't washed and set my hair in a while so this might be a result of air drying improperly. Weirdly enough when i blow dry, my hair shines soo much more and looks healthier!! maybe b/c i'm very careful and coat my hair with WGO, hollywood beauty carrot creme and my leave in.
My wash n sets loook ok, but my hair doesn't swing as much as it used to (not that i really care but my bf, complains about it). I used to go to salons, but NOT ME, NOT EVER AGAIN!!!! home care is best.
Even though i'm semi-complaining about my hair, it has really imporved since i've seriously started taking care of it. I'm confident that it will grow and be thick throughout.. its just a matter of time.
thanks for the encouragement. i just REALLyu need a creamy leave in!!!!

alliyah4eva203

i used to feel discouraged when i saw other peoples pics. but everyone has to start somewhere. and your hair will grow you just have to be patient.

SweetNic_JA

Beana, I don't know what your hair looked like then but, I know what your hair looks like now and I must say that your hair made a lot of progress b/c it looks good now! congrats girl.

How are you enjoying your cut?

beana3

thanks sweet nic!~!!! That lil piece of hair i chopped into is hardly noticeable because of the way i wear my hair.

These past few months have been pretty good to me, no major setbacks, my hair is behaving more than ever. My hair is now uniform in thickness and my ends look really good. I no longer obssess over my progress and i've learned to take the good with the bad.

I think i tried to do too much tomy hair, and thought that if i went cold trukey on relaxing , heat and trimming, i'd see immediate results.... Growing healthy hair is a gradual process