The Shamboosie Book Discussion

BlkMane

Well, I broke down and BOUGHT the book. I started reading it yesterday. And boy, am I going to have a lot to discuss!

I noticed that Shamboosie does contradict himself in a few places. However, for the most part, he does also give a lot of good information. I loved the hair color chapter--LOTS of great info for people who color their own hair.

But, he actually calls people that use eggs, mayo, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, + on their hair "crazy"!!!! So, what does that make us! Did anyone else see his comments in the book regarding internet hair boards? ("kitchen chemists....")

Well, my hair hasn't fallen out yet from any of the suggestions I've received from THIS board! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

LondonDiva

Yep I saw that and was quite pissed. I thought if ony he knew about the success stories on this board before a lot of the women picked up his book. Fair enought there are some hair sites/board that give crap advice but he shouldn't knock them all.

Well just as his stupid hair miracle product (Nexxus Humectress) was worthy of throwing in the trash, other things such as ACV work great for a lot of the ladies on this board. He talks like ALL out hair will react the same to the products that he recommends. That bit I didn't like.

I got the Hellman's Mayo in my fridge, and I sure ain't gonna pass up on trying i out just cause Shamboosie said so.

Allandra

I haven't purchased or read the book. Geez, the nerve of him 'putting down' hair boards. Apparently, he hasn't visited this wonderful site.

hairfanatic

I'm reading the book also. I don't know if I agree that Nexxus is the best. I used to prefer Redkin over Nexxus. One thing I noticed he said in the book where he was talking about the magic potion. He mentioned that when the father stopped bringing the little girl to him, her hair started breaking again. My thing is, why didn't he just tell the father to buy the Nexxus. I was also looking at some of the pictures and as far as them being beautiful hair, the one with the long hair is the only one that look nice. The others looked like normal hair to me so it was hard to tell whether the hair was in good shape or not.

Tracy

<font color="purple"> I have to agree with you ladies on some points here...although I DO still highly recommend this book because of it's pretty comprehensive approach to hair care and education (something I feel is grossly overlooked generally in black women's quest for healthier longer hair - 'cept us of course /images/graemlins/grin.gif) I definitely feel that at a minimum his product recommendations are not as all inclusive as he thinks they are, and that he, like many hair book authors, makes the mistake of adopting a really dogmatic and inflexible approach to maintaining balck women's hair. We're just all so different that it doesn't make sense. The best advice for every woman is to give them the really basic basics and find products that work for THEM in their maintenance routine. But I find all hair books have this flaw. Shamboosie, Cathy Howse, even Wanakee (tho she didn't write a book). Lisa Akbari's book doesn't have as much of this approach - but she isn't as comprehensive IMO as the others either. But I did like the bok and took so much away from it.

P.S. I didn't appreciate his internet comments either...I think many of us know far more than some cosmetologists. And he even alluded to the fact that he disagreed with the fact that water was a good moisturizer.....which I don't know just feels OFF to me. I see his point that water shouldn't be considered a maintenance product as such (and shouldn't take the place of something that you use to dress the ends regularly - but nothing moisturizes like some good old agua. Punto finale! /images/graemlins/wink.gif
</font color>

Nyambura

surfer girl
Hi Tracy et al. /images/graemlins/wink.gif! It's good to be back and see all of you ladies posting. {Thanks Beverly for working so hard to make another forum for us /images/graemlins/smile.gif .} Back to the thread topic - I haven't bought Shamboosie's book yet but I might because I am curious about his information regarding hair coloring. [By the way, thank you, Tracy, for your advice re: highlights. My hair is now thriving.] I am glad to read both the praises and critiques on the book. There is one thing I'm wondering about now: on the old board, someone [I can't remember who] posted that Shamboosie said there is nothing more beautiful than a Black woman with blonde hair? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Is this true? /images/graemlins/confused.gif My natural color is jet black and I can just imagine the fallout that would occur if I attempted to lift my color all those levels.

Thanks in advance for your response

LondonDiva

Nyambura

Lovely pic of fello Brit Thandie /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Makes me wantto go out and get a ceramic flat iron for that look. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

re: Shamboosie's comment. Yes he did say that. I went over the colour section of the book (which I skipped as that section of the book doesn't apply to me as of yet) and it's there in black and white. Not all black women can carry of the blonde do but I don't like it as a colour choice even with exensions. We can carry an array of different hair colours well but blond isn't on the top of my list.

I love dark rich jet black and the picture on the hair types section of this board on the homepage of the woman with wavy/curly brown hair. Love that colour /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

G

London Diva,

I just pressed my hair with the Revlon Perfect Curling Iron that has the teflon material. My hair came out extremely straight. The curling iron has 20 settings and I had mine on 19. My hair didn't born or anything. I love this curling iron! I have tried many flat irons and they did nothing for my natural hair. This curling iron is a keeper and it was only $12.00

Jenai

I have a question about the book. I seem to remember that someone from the old board had quoted Shamboosie as saying that regarding relaxers - the relaxer itself did the straitghtening - not the combing or smoothing after it is applied. Then I beleive he goes onto say that a relaxer should never be combed through - only the back of the comb or fingers should be used to smooth the hair.

OKAY - if the relaxer creme itself does the straightening - then why smooth it at all? Would not smoothing it potentially damage the hair? If the relaxer is applied thoroughly to the new growth would this be necessary? Plus, isn't the purpose of a relaxer to "relax" the natural curl - not to get it bone straight?

BlkMane

Gigi,

Regarding your questions: Yes, Shamboosie DID say that the relaxer does the straightening. However, in his "relaxer instructions" he DID have a smoothing step. In fact, I was a little confused as I thought he was very unclear in his explanation. He did make a point of saying to NEVER COMB a relaxer thru. But, later in his instuctions he does say to smooth, even though I don't remember seeing anywhere where he actually says to use the back of a comb. He does say that when smoothing relaxer on virgin hair to smooth with the hands thru the entire length of the hair.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Plus, isn't the purpose of a relaxer to "relax" the natural curl - not to get it bone straight?

[/ QUOTE ]
That depends on the wishes of the person getting the relaxer. Some women want a little curl release, but others DO want a bone straight look. My feeling is that unless you want a bone straight look, most of the time as long as you leave the relaxer on for the appropriate length of time (to release the curl sufficiently--for your hair type) you do not need to smooth.

PracticallyMe

High Powered Lurker
Yes, I noticed that, and did not agree. There are alot of so-called concoctions that you can make from ingredients in your kitchen that are wonderful for the hair. Also buying your own ingredients and making concoctions are also worthwhile. Why he felt that only products that you purchase from a store or salon are only beneficial to the hair is beyond me. In fact alot of products that you purchase from the stores are based on homemade recipes like the Hair Mayonnaise, etc.

hiddy3

Nyambura,
It was I who meantioned what Shamboosie said about black women/blond hair. Struck me as odd...

Pallas

Kitkat

<font color="blue"> Hi everybody! BOY, am I glad that this forum is back up and running! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree that, while Shamboosie makes some great recommendations, he does adopt a 'one size fits all' approach that is simply not realistic. I know that, before we lost the old posts, /images/graemlins/frown.gif many of us agreed that his 'magic potion', Humectress, simply wasn't for us. Motions works much better for me, and I'm even starting to like Paul Mitchell Super Charged Conditioner. I'm trying to control the PJ in me, but I think that I'm gonna fall off the wagon and order me some Elucence products soon - real soon.

I don't like the dismissive way that he slams hair care boards. Instead of celebrating the fact that women of color realize that we need better information on how to care for our hair - info that he concedes has been lacking for ages - he chooses to make fun of us and the monikers that we use. Obviously, if some boards recommend using a butane lighter to dry hair, and/or using bleach on a weekly basis to clarify hair, they should be avoided like the plague. But I think that we have a really good group here and we pass on positive and helpful information.

I absolutely DO NOT agree on his take regarding heat. Sounds like he sez we can use curling and/or flat irons with total abandon. Again, I know that many women here use curling irons as part of their routines, but constant heat killed my hair in the past.

I also thought that the 'nothing is more beautiful than a black woman with blonde hair' remark was pretty odd. No disrespect to my sisters who have dyed their hair blonde, but I have seen many women sporting other shades that are really beautiful.

I'm not sorry that I bought his book, because it's definitely a keeper. But I do agree with the other posters that you have to soak up his advice that works for you, and toss the remainder.

Sorry for the rambling!! </font color>

Tracy

Nyambura, /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thrilled to know your hair is responding postively the babying we talked about in light of your color. I always love a silver lining! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S. I'm a HUGE Thandie fan too! I just think that woman is STUNNING. She looks like a child to me. And those dimples! /images/graemlins/smile.gif Always wish I had some 'a them! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nyambura

surfer girl
Yes, thank you, Tracy! Your advice regarding my highlights has *definitely* worked out for me. Thanks again for all the advice you gave me. I think caramel is about as high as I can lift my natural color before sheer havoc reigns. Well, I'm off to purchase my first Sebastian's cellophane (clear). /images/graemlins/cool.gif

BlkMane

Hey, Tracy! Do you have any advice for moi concerning highlights? I FINALLY found the Textures &amp; Tones in Lightest Blonde. I had been looking for it since you recommended it and that color was ALWAYS missing when I saw T&amp;T colors.

I will do a patch test with it in a few days to see what color it turns my hair. I was also thinking of following Shamboosie's advice about getting a semi-perm color and missing it with 10% volume. Is 10% volume a bleach? (He recommended that combo to add subtle highlights to dark brown/black hair.)

Would that combo be STRONGER than just using the Textures &amp; Tones?

I was just wondering as I'm trying to highlight my dark hair dark/medium brown BYPASSING the "red" tones. ( I noticed that your hair and Valleygirls looks reddish. )

azul

i havent been able to finish the book because i have other obligations but so far i like what he has to say. sadly there are more message board out there that give out crappy info then good ones. and some of it is not entirely crappy but it is misleading and causes people to do things that arent healthy for their hair. i have been lucky to come across this site where there are educated and knowledgable women to help and give advice on hair care. so far i use the generic values brand of humectress and i love it. i use it whenever my hair looking dull or out of this world lol and it just makes it look shiny and healthy. i think his explaination of no lye relaxers and how they affect your hair was right one. i swore i was nodding when i read through it and was like omg i always thought it was just me. i am glad that i finally have someone tell me no lye isnt the best way to go. i didnt agree with everything he said but i found that he has opened my eyes to a lot of things and it was refreshing to hear someone explain it to me and let me know that there are possibilities. God bless you all.

loved

Shamboosie & Color

Has anyone tried Shamboosie's suggestion on how to relax and permanently color in the same day? Essentially, it's mixing a non-ammonia permanent color w/ shampoo. I cannot take these grays and the semi is out too quickly and leaves my hair feeling crunchy.

fluffylocks

I read it, and it was okay
But to me it doesnt give you all the infromation you would want to know about hair and let you make your decision.---it tells you or would lead you to believe that nexxus is the only way to go and internet boards are horrible, and that could lead you to missing out on trying alot of things.
If it was my first hair book, i still wouldnt have a soild regimen are be complety sure on what to do---wouldnt know about different airdrying methods, protective styling, different kinds of moisturizers

IMO hair books should just tell you every thing about hair there is to know, all about ingredients in products, about all the different brands, all hair boards and books, and let you decide
Even Cathy Howse book may lead you to believe if you know nothing about hair that her condioner and moisturizer is the only one on the market that can be good for your hair

Im so glad i personally didnt stop at just books and soaked up knowledge from everywhere

I also like to hear from someone who has hair themselves

( i did not read the color section though, the blond hair commnet is insane)

I want to read Carolyn Grays book

NuMe2004

Did anyone else see his comments in the book regarding internet hair boards? ("kitchen chemists....")

Of course he's going to say that...he wants folks to buy his book! I'd pay that no mind, 'cause like you and some of the other ladies said, we've come up with some great techniques/tips on this board, and have achieved great progress because of it :).

Queen V

Bumping this thread. I skimmed through this while at a friend's house, and was surprised by his slamming of internet hair boards, assertion that heat can be used freely, and heavy pushing of Nexxus products. There was some good advice in the book, but a lot of it left me shaking my head. :perplexed