porosity - the forgotten step

are you aware of the pH of your products? you can select more than one option.

• I am aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 48 13.1%
  • I am not aware of the pH of my products and the consequences for my hair.

Votes: 128 34.9%
  • I have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I do not have a step in my regime to lower the pH of my hair.

Votes: 92 25.1%
  • I have no clue what you're talking about

Votes: 119 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Denise11

After I prepare my hair for the relaxer, I apply the relaxer, Next I rinse, use a protein/reconstructor concoction, rinse, neutralize, rinse, acv rinse, neutralize a few more time, use a chelating shampoo, rinse, use the remainder of the concoction, rinse, deep condition usually with heat, rinse, use PC, rinse - that's my relaxer process.

I did not mean to be unclear - I do not use the product in the relaxer.

Why do you do both, when you just told someone that they only need to do one? I'm not clear on this.

newflowers

Why do you do both, when you just told someone that they only need to do one? I'm not clear on this.

During the relaxer process I do both for different reasons. The acv is for getting to the white suds because that is sometimes time consuming with phytospecific. the pc during the relaxer process is after the dc to close the cuticle as one of the final steps. using both only happens for me during relaxing; otherwise, i use only pc after deep conditioning with heat. both acv and oc lower the pH of the hair and close the cuticle.

the question i answered for which i wrote it's the same thing was in reference to a regular wash day not a relaxer day.

Fine 4s

After I prepare my hair for the relaxer, I apply the relaxer, Next I rinse, use a protein/reconstructor concoction, rinse, neutralize, rinse, acv rinse, neutralize a few more time, use a chelating shampoo, rinse, use the remainder of the concoction, rinse, deep condition usually with heat, rinse, use PC, rinse - that's my relaxer process.

When I use to perm my hair, the stylist would use a neutralizing 'poo after she applied the relaxer. If u apply the relaxer, rinse and then use a protein/reconstructor how do you know u got all the perm out for SURE? Is rinsing enough? Also, I thought folks weren't suppose to use a protein treatment after applying a relaxer? Are we talking hard core Aphogee treatments?

Fine 4s

Newflowers,

How long do you leave the PC on after the DC with heat and do/can I sit under a dryer with this product on or no?

Denise11

During the relaxer process I do both for different reasons. The acv is for getting to the white suds because that is sometimes time consuming with phytospecific. the pc during the relaxer process is after the dc to close the cuticle as one of the final steps. using both only happens for me during relaxing; otherwise, i use only pc after deep conditioning with heat. both acv and oc lower the pH of the hair and close the cuticle.

the question i answered for which i wrote it's the same thing was in reference to a regular wash day not a relaxer day.

Thanks. I understand now.

Luscious Locks

WoooooooW! 1. What do you use as your protein reconstructor 2. Do you use Roux Porosity Control or just some other low ph product. I used Joico K-pak Intense Hydrator (ph 3.5) back in the day once after a relaxer and my cuticles layed the hell down and shu-up. I swear to God. Is Porosity Control better than Joico Intense Hydrator? What pH is Porosity Control?

Sorry for all the questions.

Ms. Analeise

Do you think using Beyond the Zone Acid Shock would be a good alternative to use to PC?

I have it in my stash and don't want to buy anything else.

On the front of the bottle, it says it's a conditioning booster. It locks down cuticle and locks in color and shine. It has a 3.8 acid ph balancer level. You mix equal parts in with your conditioner.

I see the ph is not as high as the PC, but I am a natural 4a/b with no color and rarely uses heat. But, when I do blow dry or flat iron, I want my hair to be properly prepped.

Thanks

bklyncurly

Should naturals use Porosity Control or something similar? I've never used this product or any type of ACV Rinse. My hair is 4a and very curly. It is also very tempermental, so I'm a little nervous putting this in my hair. My hair only likes protein every few months. Otherwise, it takes over and has a mind of its own! :perplexed :nono:

However . . . .
I am experiencing a lot of dryness, which I figured was due to the cold weather. But, it might be an issue with my hair's porosity (did I say that right?). Just a little nervous that I'll wind up looking like Cousin It or worse! :lachen:

newflowers

When I use to perm my hair, the stylist would use a neutralizing 'poo after she applied the relaxer. If u apply the relaxer, rinse and then use a protein/reconstructor how do you know u got all the perm out for SURE? Is rinsing enough? Also, I thought folks weren't suppose to use a protein treatment after applying a relaxer? Are we talking hard core Aphogee treatments?

By the time I have rinsed my hair, neutralized it three or four times, used the acv rinse, and the chelating shampoo, trust me, there is no trace of relaxer left. Using the reconstrutor mix immediately after rinsing the relaxer is another great tip I learned here. Because the relaxer has such a high pH, the cuticles are lifted. By applying protein at this time, the ingredients enter the hair shaft where they can do their best work. I don't use a hard core protein like Aphogee; I don't use that product at all. I use the reconstructor that comes with the relaxer kit and to it I add silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and panthenol making enough to use twice - once when I first rinse the relaxer and once after the shampooing.

Should naturals use Porosity Control or something similar? I've never used this product or any type of ACV Rinse. My hair is 4a and very curly. It is also very tempermental, so I'm a little nervous putting this in my hair. My hair only likes protein every few months. Otherwise, it takes over and has a mind of its own! :perplexed :nono:

However . . . .
I am experiencing a lot of dryness, which I figured was due to the cold weather. But, it might be an issue with my hair's porosity (did I say that right?). Just a little nervous that I'll wind up looking like Cousin It or worse!

I do not know about caring for natural hair because I've been relaxed for a couple of decades or more. I think that it would benefit your hair because products that have a higher pH, and sometimes even just the water, can cause the cuticle to lift. Porosity Control is not a harsh product. Sally's sells little sample bottles for a couple of bucks - maybe you can give it a try and see. I know from reading the boards that other natural haired ladies use far less protein than relaxed ladies, and they use this or do acv rinses, so I think you'd be safe.

Do you think using Beyond the Zone Acid Shock would be a good alternative to use to PC?

I have it in my stash and don't want to buy anything else.

On the front of the bottle, it says it's a conditioning booster. It locks down cuticle and locks in color and shine. It has a 3.8 acid ph balancer level. You mix equal parts in with your conditioner.

I see the ph is not as high as the PC, but I am a natural 4a/b with no color and rarely uses heat. But, when I do blow dry or flat iron, I want my hair to be properly prepped.

Wow - that sound slike a good product to use as an alternative to PC. It has a lower pH than PC which means it's more acid. How do you like it?

1. What do you use as your protein reconstructor 2. Do you use Roux Porosity Control or just some other low ph product. I used Joico K-pak Intense Hydrator (ph 3.5) back in the day once after a relaxer and my cuticles layed the hell down and shu-up. I swear to God. Is Porosity Control better than Joico Intense Hydrator? What pH is Porosity Control?

The reconstructor from the kit with added silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and panthenol - makes a GREAT after relaxer strengthening treatment that does not revert my hair. I do use Porosity Control. Joico makes great products; I'll just bet your hair obeyed. :yep: I have not used the Joico, but in addition to the low pH, I think it also has ceramides which are excellent for hair care. Hmmm... maybe I'll give that one a try after I use my bottle of PC - how do you like it? Does it make you hair feel really silky after you use it? PC is 4.5 pH.

How long do you leave the PC on after the DC with heat and do/can I sit under a dryer with this product on or no?

The bottle says to leave on for 30 seconds; I leave it on for a couple of minutes - not long. I don't sit under the dryer as I'm using it after the dc/rinse in the shower.

I hope I've answered everyone's questions. I am by no means an expert as there are ladies here with far more years of hair experience than I have. I'm very interested in a sample of Beyond the Zone Acid Shock and especially the Joico - both of these sound like very good products.

Leesh

How do you determine the ph level on products, would all products list the ph balance?

misstobz

Where can you buy litmus paper. I tried a pharmacy, and they said they didnt have any and I should try a pet store (something about fish) :perplexed

Some products do list the pH. If you really want to know, you can buy litmus paper and test it yourself.

bklyncurly

Thanks! I think I'm going to give this a try this weekend. I'll post an update with the final results.

By the time I have rinsed my hair, neutralized it three or four times, used the acv rinse, and the chelating shampoo, trust me, there is no trace of relaxer left. Using the reconstrutor mix immediately after rinsing the relaxer is another great tip I learned here. Because the relaxer has such a high pH, the cuticles are lifted. By applying protein at this time, the ingredients enter the hair shaft where they can do their best work. I don't use a hard core protein like Aphogee; I don't use that product at all. I use the reconstructor that comes with the relaxer kit and to it I add silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and panthenol making enough to use twice - once when I first rinse the relaxer and once after the shampooing.

I do not know about caring for natural hair because I've been relaxed for a couple of decades or more. I think that it would benefit your hair because products that have a higher pH, and sometimes even just the water, can cause the cuticle to lift. Porosity Control is not a harsh product. Sally's sells little sample bottles for a couple of bucks - maybe you can give it a try and see. I know from reading the boards that other natural haired ladies use far less protein than relaxed ladies, and they use this or do acv rinses, so I think you'd be safe.

Wow - that sound slike a good product to use as an alternative to PC. It has a lower pH than PC which means it's more acid. How do you like it?

The reconstructor from the kit with added silk amino acids, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and panthenol - makes a GREAT after relaxer strengthening treatment that does not revert my hair. I do use Porosity Control. Joico makes great products; I'll just bet your hair obeyed. :yep: I have not used the Joico, but in addition to the low pH, I think it also has ceramides which are excellent for hair care. Hmmm... maybe I'll give that one a try after I use my bottle of PC - how do you like it? Does it make you hair feel really silky after you use it? PC is 4.5 pH.

The bottle says to leave on for 30 seconds; I leave it on for a couple of minutes - not long. I don't sit under the dryer as I'm using it after the dc/rinse in the shower.

I hope I've answered everyone's questions. I am by no means an expert as there are ladies here with far more years of hair experience than I have. I'm very interested in a sample of Beyond the Zone Acid Shock and especially the Joico - both of these sound like very good products.

newflowers

Where can you buy litmus paper. I tried a pharmacy, and they said they didnt have any and I should try a pet store (something about fish) :perplexed

I have a daughter who is a biochem major - she purchased it for me at the uni bookstore. I can understand needing it for aquariums, because one must test the water to ensure a healthy environment for the fish.

Sorry - I'm not really much help.

Last edited:

newflowers

so, the lower the pH number, the better for porosity?

As I understand the science of it - and please keep in mind I'm an English teacher and as a general rule don't do science or math (ewww), hair and the scalp are acidic (skin in genreal), and to close the cuticle, an acidic product (PC, acv, or some of the others dicussed here) lowers the pH of the hair and scalp which creates a better growing environment for growing hair and hardens the hair shaft by closing the cuticles. Hair is then better able to maintain a proper moisture level. With the cuticles open, moisture evaporates from the shaft and that causes dryness and subsequent breakage.

If you check out the link I included on the first page, there is a much better and far more concise (coherent) explanation than mine. You can also check out skinbio.com - also a very good explanation about how hair grows.

Ms. Analeise

"Wow - that sound slike a good product to use as an alternative to PC. It has a lower pH than PC which means it's more acid. How do you like it?"

newflowers-
I haven't used BTZ yet, it has been in my cabinet since last summer. I may try it sooner than later, though. If I do, I'll report back to you.

Aggie

Last edited:

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I like the idea of clarifying first. Once you clarify, I'm not sure it's necessary to follow up with a moisturizing shampoo. I think just clarifying (which also cleanses) and then Porosity Control, followed by the Deep Conditioner seems to work just as well. ;)

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
ETA...

Or, you could:

1. Chealate or ACV rinse.
2. Protein
3. Porosity Control
4. Deep Condition

So, in other words, for those who protein but still have problems getting that moisture balance AFTER the protein, perhaps the Porosity Control BEFORE the Deep Conditioning treatment could solve the problem.

I'mma try it this weekend, as I need to perform another protein treatment. I also need to chealate.