Fine, Thin, Fragile hair too sickly to grow long??

OrangeMarmalade

I've been visiting this board for a while and your advice has been awesome; I've gained 3 inches since Dec. 2002. Only problem, though my hair is growing, the ends are all see through, and it seems like if I go one night without warpping my hair I lose a little bit of length and have a bunch of split ends. Anyone else have this problem? I'm not sure of my exact hair type. I think the crown area is a 2C <font color="purple"> </font> <font color="purple"> </font> and the rest of my head is like a 2A. But again, I'm not sure. My hair type resembles Ananda Lewis's.

Thanks

SweetNic_JA

OrangeMarm, have u had your ends trimmed and evened out? Are you conditioning with protein and moisturizing conditioner? Most likely you are but if you aren't, they should help. Remember the growth process takes a while and it can be very long depending on your rate of growth. I can identify with you though. I'm a 4a/4b texture and the individual strands are very thin. I have to take extra care of my hair and sometimes it seems as if I regress but I continue caring for it nonetheless. It's been 8 months since I started caring for and growing my hair. Looking back at my hair I can see that it made a lot of progress but when I look at it on a day-to-day basis I don't always notice the same difference. My point is you started in December and it's only been 4 months. You should see progress but it's not going to happen over night - just keep up with your routine.

sweetcocoa

What is your regime? Give us some more info on your routine. I'm sure the other ladies have some advice. For me wrapping my hair everynight thinned my ends. Since I stopped doing that(and had the thin damaged ends chopped off) my hair is thicker...my sides are even growing and they hardly ever grew. I still wrap...but not every night. I sometimes do a loose pony tail or bun. Also I use a satin pillow case on both my pillows in case my scarf comes off. Then I don't have to worry about snagging my ends on the cotton pillow cases. Also I think the satin pillow cases help the scarf stay on.

OrangeMarmalade

Thanks for the insight guys. My hair is begining to look like something off of Fraggle Rock...

SweetNic,,I guess you're right. i figured that the growth meant it was healthy and the thin ends kind of had me worried a bit. I dust the ends every other night hoping to get all the dead hair off gradually.. I'll keep it up and see how it goes.

Sweetcocoa, I've heard that wrapping your hair every night does cause thinning (esp. on the sides) but I didn't know how else to wear my hair to bed. I think I'll try the satin pillowcase w/ a bun and see how that goes. My hair regimen is below:

Vits:
NOW Foods Pantothenic acid/Multi Vit 100/MSM/Biotin/B-Complex/ Opti-L Zinc/ Vit. C

Shampoo: Philosophy Cinnamon Buns/Joico Kerapro
Conditioner: Terax/Philosophy Shear Splendor/Phyto Karite/Pantene

Leave-in: Lange/Joico Integrity/Kiehls

I wash every 2 days/air dry/ and try not to use heat more than 2x's per week.

Country gal

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
sweetcocoa said:
What is your regime? Give us some more info on your routine. I'm sure the other ladies have some advice. For me wrapping my hair everynight thinned my ends. Since I stopped doing that(and had the thin damaged ends chopped off) my hair is thicker...my sides are even growing and they hardly ever grew. I still wrap...but not every night. I sometimes do a loose pony tail or bun. Also I use a satin pillow case on both my pillows in case my scarf comes off. Then I don't have to worry about snagging my ends on the cotton pillow cases. Also I think the satin pillow cases help the scarf stay on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrapping your hair every night does thin out your hair. I stopped wrapping my hair every night and it started to get real thick. The past two weeks I have been wrapping my hair but I plan on wet setting it again.

SweetNic_JA

OrangeMarm,
I think you're using too much heat in your hair. I have human braids in my hair right now and I don't even put heat in it every week but i noticed that once I started flat ironing the ends the hair started to break and thin out. If it's happening to my braids I doubt that it wouldn't happen to your natural hair.

butterscotch

You should try this regimen to strengthen your hair. It worked for me and I'm hoping it will work for you
:

Nexxus Diametress - Nexxus Emergencee - Nexxus Humectress (with heat). If you have tangles when rinsing the Humectress, feel free to use any detangling shampoo. Also, use Humectress as a headdress at night, about the size of a dime and pay attention to the ends of your hair. You can add a little unrefined, pure coconut oil to your scalp if you can find it....Try to avoid excess heat at all costs (no more than once a week)!

Trim your hair every 6 weeks up to chin length (especially important with severe split ends), every 12 weeks for shoulder length and longer.

My hair was in really bad shape about 4 1/2 years ago, and this regimen did the trick for me....now I have 15 inches of the healthiest, strongest hair! I wish you the best...

OrangeMarmalade

Thanks for the info all... So I now have a plan to help my sickly hair....

-No wrapping (at least not that often)
-No heat (damn! this may be hard SweetNic but I'll give a try for vanity's sake
)
-Regular trims
-And try some Nexxus Humetress on the ends.

Thanks again you guys. I'll have to check back and let you all know how it works...