Another Twist Question - NEED HELP

JerseyGirl

I talked to my stylist last night about the twists to see if she can refer someone. I haven’t gone to her since August. Mainly because of the commute, (I live in New Jersey and she is New York) I have been going to the Dominicans in Jersey.

She told me that she had three clients that recently got the twists. 2 of them used synthetic hair and 1 had the human hair. The women with the synthetic hair broke off so badly because synthetic does not work well when you have a relaxer. But the women with the human hair, her hair didn’t break at all. All of them had the twists in approximately 2 months. She said that she does not recommend it for me because my hair is finally making progress.

After she tried to talk me out of it and suggest getting micro braids, she finally said to me O.K. I will do it. But I am going to charge you $200 dollars (not including the hair) and it will take 5 to 6 hours. I screamed $200 dollars that is a lot of money. The Africans in Harlem are charging anywhere from $80 to $100, why so much. She said if you want it done right, you are going to have to pay and if I don’t do it, your chances of finding someone who knows your hair is slim. And if you don’t use me, please, please do not go to the Africans in Harlem. They drag women off the street and give them a low price and braided too tight, and will put any type of bottom of the barrel hair into their heads (they are in it for money only). Going to some of these African Braiding Salons is taking too much of a chance with your hair.

She also reminded me that synthetic on relaxed hair will break. There are some synthetic hair that is good but you will be taking a chance. The reason why braiders will tell you to get synthetic hair for this particular style is because it will last longer up to 4 months. She said I will tell anyone do not keep any type of braids in your hair no longer than 6 to 8 weeks. And if you have a relaxer ONLY use human hair.

My question to the board is would you pay $200 to your stylist to do this style or would you chance it and find someone cheaper and use the human hair (because now I fear the synthetic). Mind you, I have never seen her do the twists or any other braids for that matter - but I have seen her do weaves which she does a fantastic job. I don’t want to pay $200 and her twists job is O.K. 50% of me is willing to take the chance with her because she has done my hair for years and when it was in tip top condition - before I move to New Jersey - I trusted her with my hair. I trusted her so much that before going to her I had a fear of peopling cutting my hair but with her I just sat backed and read a book. The other 50% is just plain cheap and broke. $200.00

She said she will call me tonight to tell me what human hair to get. HELP ME MAKE A DECISION.

free2bme

I agree with everything your stylist has told you. However as with everything there is always a cheaper alternative.

Alot of the women in harlem are all about the cash and will pull the living daylights out of your head. There is a place downtown brooklyn (flatbush ave)called Sena hairbraiding. They are definately more expensive then harlem, b/w $140 to $160 and they provide the hair (yaki). They are considerably more gentle than their harlem counterparts and I have been able to preserve my edges & hairline. They are listed in 411 and the name of the proprietor is Fallah.

Good Luck

Ennyaa

Hmmm, well, I'm not too sure I agree with everything she is saying. Everyone's hair is different and I have used both human hair (invisible braids, micro braids) and synthetic hair for box braids and twists and didn't lose a whole lot of hair with either. It's all a matter of how you keep it moisturized. SPRAY THEM EVERY DAY!!
As for them braiding the hair too tight, yes some of them do. BUT that doesn't mean you can't tell them not to braid it too tight. I even tell them not to include some of my edges in the braids I just slick them down with moisturizers at night and tie them down. As for the $200 I think that's ridiculous unless you are getting them down to your behind (like I had mine) and even then that includes the hair. As I said in another thread American hair braiders tend to be on the expensive side and often without justification. They also tend to have an attitude that they are giving you better quality which often is NOT the case. I can tell you I've been burned paying a ridiculous amount for braids that hardly lasted a week before they looked like crap. Frankly I think she's trying to scare you but that's another story.

I also live in NJ and get my braids and twists done at a salon called Matou's hair braiding in Orange. They are good and they will do what you ask but you must be firm and specific with all of these places. There is a picture of the twists I got done there in the Twists thread and when I took them out last weekend I had no problems and my hair had grown almost an inch (had them in for month.) Keep in mind that I sprayed them things with S-Curl Activator EVERY NIGHT and took them out VERY SLOWLY and with LOTS OF OIL AND CONDITIONER. Also when I got them done I made it clear to the girls that I wanted big sections of hair parted for each braid because I didn't want a whole lot of synthetic hair hanging on a few strands of mine, ya dig? If you have any other questions let me know. And Good Luck!