The Crown & Glory Method.

henrilou

I saw a website about this method. You are supposed to buy the book. Frankly I am not convinced that the girl featured didn't have a weave. Why on a website about HAIR are the pictures not clear and close-up. Basically the women said that she used braids a way to grow her hair.[blackhairmedia.com] She showed fuzzy pictures of herself with waistlength braids and long hair that she said was relaxed. While I think this is possible, I don't think happened with HER. What do you think?

H

HoneyRockette

What book? The useful information is given away for free on the site. I believe it is her, as much as I believe anyone who posts their pictures on the internet is really them ( /images/graemlins/confused.gif) but I agree the pictures could be better. Maybe she just didn't want hundreds of people to see her. It's not like she is pushing a product and she posted a picture of a stranger with a weave (>cough< BEVERLY JOHNSON! ). We know it works regardless. We can't doubt the powers of braids. It worked for Faith, Adrienne and many others here. With any luck, (and the grace of God) it will work for me too.

LuvableLady

I’ve been using her method for about 2 weeks now and I don’t see on the Website where she is trying to push a book. Yes, she sells a plaits video for those who need to learn how to do extensions but the information for the method seems to be free. Perhaps you are seeing something that I don’t see and I’ll have to take a closer look to find this book because I may want to buy it.

I personally believe her because she wasn’t trying to sell anything. She does make references to different products that are really cheap and can be bought at any beauty supply store but she doesn’t say “buy this book to find out how you can grow hair like mine”. I don’t doubt the pictures of her hair and by them not being totally perfect and clear makes it even more believable to me. If they were too perfect and clear I’d think that they’d been retouched to fool. I appreciate all that information that she provided for free, I hope it doesn’t get pulled because I refer to it a few times a week.

Ebony

Hmmmm.....I believe LondonDiva was using the Crown &amp; Glory method at least over the summer if I'm not mistaken....I'll ask her to post her results.

Mahalialee4

I have been using her method. Although I hate wearing braids pers se, her methods have given me the most growth and thickness. I am personally shocked at how thick my hair is getting 'SINCE THE BRAIDS", and the amount of overall growth that I have since my last braiding. Just took out my braids, washed, conditioned and even the front area is thick and healthy looking. Have had great results. If I could only love to have braids in my hair, I would not take a break. I also have to remember that my hair strands are fine and come out of the braids and start to look matty and messy so quickly.I have to rebraid 2x in 2 months! Cannot leave them in over a month at a time and still look like a lady. lol. Also Robin is very helpful and friendly in her emails and so helpful. Just think, how many other sites are giving it away for free?... I do not believe she has anything to gain by being deceitful. That is my trusting honest opinion and a personal judgement call. Bonjour.

LuvableLady

Honey Vibe,

I was visiting longhairlovers.com. I was at the ethnic section of the discussion boards and they mentioned her website. I checked it out and it looked great to me. I had worn braids before but never individuals and I had never done them myself so, I did a little reading on the internet and gave it a shot at braiding my hair.

I’ve had them in for 2 weeks now and this is what I do.

I wash them every week with Creme of Nature Ultra Moisturizing Formula for Dry hair (they have been washed 3 times so far)
I do a vinegar rinse after washing
Followed by a lite conditioner
I have deep conditioned them once in the 2 week period but It is a bit difficult with braids

I spray them twice daily with Infusium 23 &amp; African Royale Braid Spray

Here’s a picture of my braids that I took this evening:

I lucked up on this website around the same time that I found Grow Afro and have been visiting both ever since.

I will be taking these braids out after 2 months, right around the beginning of December. I will deep condition each week for 2 months, then I’ll go right back to the braids routine. I’ve been taking a bunch of vitamins also. I will be doing this until my hair is as long as these braids. Only about 6 inches to go. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I may not be following the method 100% but hopefully it's pretty close.

http://photos.imageevent.com/stephdunb/stephanie//braids%204.jpg

http://photos.imageevent.com/stephdunb/stephanie//Braids5.jpg

rosie

Luv, your braids are tight. I love them.
You did them yourself?
How did you do them that long and have nice braids with no bumps, ends sticking out, And it looks like you didn&amp;#8217;t even burn the ends. Did you boil them to keep them together?

What kind of hair did you use?

I did mine with loose ends so as to not worry about finishing them so evenly and all. My individual braids are too thin. I&amp;#8217;m working the, but I&amp;#8217;d rather have mine look like yours. I wear mine pulled back a lot, but I make sure I take the time to loosen the tension on the front hairline. I want braids to look like yours, but I refuse to take these out until I at least get 8 weeks out of them. I may go for 4-6 weeks. This is mid-week three. I didn&amp;#8217;t know you could wash with Crème of Nature, cool, then that is what I&amp;#8217;m going to try this week.

I used pre-parted hair, what kind did you use? And, how do you get the same amount of hair on each braid?

And., lastly, tell me how you did your deep conditioning, without worry of buildup?

Okay, I&amp;#8217;m inspired to do mine again. I think I will take them down in about a week or two and try again.

Even though I&amp;#8217;m at work, I can feel my husband rolling his eyes, again.

fancypants007

I have been using the Crown and Glory method since June of this year. I was so impressed with Hair Lady's growth in 2+ years. I know that braids can grow your hair long, because years ago when I first put braids in my hair (after cutting off all my hair - remember the snatchback hairstyle) well I wanted my hair back. I started wearing braids and in 11 months my hair was touching my shoulders. People could not believe my hair grew that fast and I was not really taking care of them. Well with Robin's method you put the braids in a certain way and you keep them moist/conditioned with braid spray. My hair is alot thicker and my hairline is so nice. I like to see baby hair around my face. Robin tells you on her site that it is not just about putting braids in with medium parts, but eating healthy also contributes to hair growth, in fact she said that she noticed her hair growth when she started eating healthy. Anyway, I plan to use her method to grow out my hair. I purchased her plait video and it took 10 hours to put them in; and 2 months later (when I took them out) they slipped out just like she said and it took me 5 hours to take them out. I love her site and she encourages you to write her with any questions/concerns you may have and she is quick to respond. I like that personally, that the person is readily available when you need assistance. Anyway this is my 2 cents worth.

sweetcocoa

<font color="purple">Luvablelady, you did a beautiful job with your braids. Did you learn how to do them from the video or is that something you already knew how to do? I'm thinking about getting my done...but I'd rather do them myself(don't trust anyone else not to pull my hair out). Thanks! </font color>

Armyqt

Ditto what sweetcoca just said. Your braids look awesome. I could never imagine myself doing braids or even wearing them for that matter. I have to admit you guys have definitely piqued my interest. Let us know how u did it girl. I might want to try them for a month or so. Thanks and looking good.

PracticallyMe

High Powered Lurker
LuvableLady,

Your braids look great. Did you say you did them yourself? Wow, I am very impressed. How long did it take? The next time I get braids, I may do them myself. What can of hair did you use?

Sorry for all the questions.

TBC72

Two thumbs up for Robin. I don't think I could have done my braids without her imput. I email that poor woman so much, but she still responded to me ASAP!! Which I thought was extremely nice of her. It's so hard to find information about wearing extentsions. I'm glad she created a website with her method. Now If I just can get my braids to look like LUVABLE LADY!!! That's exactly how I want mine. Care to share some secrets? What kind of hair did you buy and how did your ends come out so purty!!!

adrienne0914

luvable, your braids DO look awesome!!! even more incredible since was this your first time doing them yourself. dang! i would like to, but i know i don't have the patience. i also have a bad shoulder... hush, confession folks...... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne

p.s. lol @ purty, tonia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MSCHICHI

I have e-mailed Robin several times before as well, and I can attest that she gets back to you ASAP, and has great advice. After looking at this thread again, I went back to her site, and saw that she takes paypal for payments for the braid video. I remembered I had like 30 bucks in my account after I won something, so I just bought it!

After the amount of hair growth I was able to accumulate in the past 2 years, I need a more intense method of protecting my hair during the very drying winter months. Braids should be great.

NubianQueen

Fancypants,

I too am using the crown and glory method. However, I did not purchase the video. When I take my braids down, they certainly do not just slide out /images/graemlins/confused.gif. I am wondering if you could explain to me how you put the braids in to make sure they are secure while you are wearing them but are still easy to remove.

Thanks in advance,

NubianQueen

LondonDiva

Ebony I had braids in for 2 months. I couldn't go any longer because my hair is relaxed and where the new growth came inI had too much detangling to do, that I was sworn off the method. If my hair was all natural then I don't think it would have been that bad. It's just the two textures meeting that scared the bajeezers outta me.
Plus, I missed deep conditioning my hair on a regular basis.
Luv you have gorgeous braids.

LuvableLady

Hey Ladies,

Thanks for the compliments on the braids.

Rosie

I’m not sure what #8217 is but I used 7 ½ packages of Kanekalon silky jumbo braid. They are long because I did not cut the hair in half; I left it long because I wanted to have room to trim them up when I finished without worrying about cutting my hair. Had I cut the hair in half, I could have done them with a little over 3 packages of hair.

Luckily the braids just came out straight without bumps, it wasn’t anything special that I did. For sealing the ends, I have a braid sealer that I purchased at ebonyline.com for $19.00 (its over $30.00 everywhere else). It cuts and seals the braid all in one step, I really like it and it is much better and safer then using a lighter.

For making them look basically the same size, I just tried to use about ¼ to ½ inch Kanekalon for each braid instead of just grabbing different sizes each time.

I have deep conditioned once so far and it was a chore washing it out. I treated my hair as I would if I didn’t have braids. I washed it, put LeKair on, placed 2 plastics caps on (had to use 2 to cover all that hair) and set under the dryer for 40 minutes. It took longer to rinse but I did try to get most of it out. I would not deep condition every week while wearing braids because I don’t want the build up. I figure if I deep conditioned every other week and do a light conditioner the weeks that I don’t, it will keep the build up away. Thanks again! Oh, I saw a picture of your braids and they look great.

Sweetcocoa &amp; Armyqt

I did not learn from a video. I actually visited an extension Website and they had really easy instructions there. Here’s a link to the way I put the braids in, click on Braids-Plaits you can ignore the pictures on the next page(if you want to) and scroll down to 3 way plait method, I found it very helpful and so easy to understand. If you braid them this way they will slide out easily when the time comes to take them out, I’ve already practiced taking one down and it did just slide out without buildup after being in for 2 weeks and almost 1 complete bottle of braid spray and infusium. http://www.btinternet.com/~quinnster1/hair/hair.html

Gentleness8

It took me about 18 hours over a 3 ½ day period. I got lazy and did not braid that much on day 2 and 3 but finished up in 3 ½ days. The first day I did really good, I finished ¾ of the front but after that I took my time and that’s why it took me the half day extra. I used 7 ½ packs of Kanekalon silky jumbo braid because I left it long, I would have only needed a little over 3 packages if I had cut it in half. Next time I think I’ll try to cut it down to no more then 6 packs. I like them full so I’ll see if that works.

Tonia2003

I learned how to put them in by the instructions from this Website. http://www.btinternet.com/~quinnster1/hair/hair.html Scroll down until you see 3-way plait method. The braid sealer helped me out a lot.

Adrienne0914

Thank you.

rosie

LuvableLady
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
"I'm not sure what #8217 is"

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually type my messages in MS Word when I'm at work, then I do a cut and paste. This board must not like the ' from my omputer system. All my apostrophes got coded as 8217. Very peculiar /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh, I saw a picture of your braids and they look great.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks /images/graemlins/blush.gif

almost 1 complete bottle of braid spray and infusium

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, I thought I was using too much!!!. I'm glad somebody else is using a lot of spray. I have abottle with a trigger spray, and it saturates my braids like nothing else. My hubby calls it my gun. "Run girls, mommy has the hair gun!!!" /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I learned how to put them in by the instructions from this Website. http://www.btinternet.com/~quinnster1/hair/hair.html Scroll down until you see 3-way plait method.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used that site too. I printed those directions out and added it to my 3-ring binder of hair stuff. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a braid sealer that I purchased at ebonyline.com for $19.00 (its over $30.00 everywhere else).

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought I had searched the net to get the best price. /images/graemlins/wink.gif I will be ordering it from here I guess.

If you braid them this way they will slide out easily when the time comes to take them out

[/ QUOTE ]
I am practicing this. Mine are taking a little work to get out. and in the crown, they are loose. can't afford to have the crown braids fall out. I think they give me an instant face lift, or make me look a little more youthful. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Anyway, thanks for your answers. I appreciate it.

Tonia2002
Hey lady, thanks for your help in the past. I emailed the hair lady this after noon from work, I'll be interested in what she answers me with. What kind of questions did you ask the hair lady. and what type of answers did she give, if you don't mind me asking?

LondonDiva

Rosie can you tell me how you quote the previous posters post please? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Luv, can you tell me if your hair is relaxed or natural? If your hair is relaxed how do you deal with the new growth and the relaxed hair when taking them out.

Also, do you get any buildup at the base of your braids after taking them out?

fancypants007

NubianQueen,

Let me see if I can explain it. You take a small section of your hair (size of a pencil), now get a strand of synthetic (Kanekalon) hair the same dimension/weight as your own hair. Hang the synthetic hair over your own hair like a loop. Then you just twist it around your own hair and start braiding. I modified Robin's method of braiding not because I wanted to, but because I just couldn't seem to get my fingers positioned right. If you get Robin's plait video you will see her demonstrate the process, and when she loops it, the knot is at the base of the braid in the front. Well when I twist and braid, you can't see the knot that forms because it is in the back of my braid. When I wore big plaits sometime ago, people thought that it was my hair because they could not see the knot. Anyway, I hope this makes sense. When I took them out, I unravelled them, and when I got to the base of the braid, it just slipped out. Robin states that if you do them right, they will just slip out and I was so pleased they did. I also had very little buildup. I did purchase Dr. O's Braid comb so that my braids could be the same size and it worked beautifully. I'm so happy that I can do my own braids because of the gentle treatment (no pulling, tugging, not tight) and also because of the money that I save. I too thought there was no way I could do it. I did it in two days (5 hours each day). One of my co-workers asked me where did I go to get my hair done, when I told him I did it, he couldn't believe it. Hope this helps.

rosie

Finally I get to give some helpful advice to someone.

LD,
When you click on the reply button for a post, the Instant UBB Code table at the bottom that has the Italics, bold, list items, etc shortcuts in it also has a quote shortcut.
Click on Quote, and it gives you the open and close quote codes:

{quote} and {/quote} but with square brackets. [] &amp; [/]

I then either type the info that I want to quote, or I cut and paste it between the open and close quote codes, and that's it. It automatically puts it in the box for you when you submit your post.
rosie

TBC72

Hey rosie!!! I asked her what products should I buy, how to do the ends, how to wash your braids.. Guurrrl, I asked her so many darn questions and Robin responded the next day. She even gave me some methods on how to fix them since my plaits are so ruff!!! One suggestion she told me was not to buy hair from sally (which i did) Hopefully next month my braids will come out better due to her suggestions.
Luvable lady, I went and bought a braid sealer today(40.00 bucks! @ a beauty supply store. Where is product junkie Anoumous(sp) when you need it!!!) Lawd, help me with my spelling. Okay, My question is to you is this. How did you use it? Please tell step by step Thanks so much for your help. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

LuvableLady

Rosie,

Thanks for the information in your reply. It’s very helpful.

LondonDiva,

My hair is relaxed and when I take these braids down I am going to be extremely careful following the crown &amp; glory method. My natural hair does not get extremely course and thick but there is a difference in texture so if I am careful, I am praying that it will be okay and I am keeping these braids extremely clean so there should be minimal buildup.

Tonia2002,

I’ve got the Hot Tools Braid Sealer. I hope this is the one that you have. You need to let it get really hot so that it can just go through that hair with ease, I’d say leave it plugged in for about 10 minutes before using it and it should be hot enough. There are 2 sections to the braid sealer, one for large braids and the other for smaller braids. I found that using the larger section worked best for me. You take each braid and do them one by one. Clamp the braid sealer on the braid and just leave it there for a few seconds, if it’s hot enough it will separate on it’s own and you’ll be smooth sailing with a nice cut and seal all in one step. Continue on to the next, it gets easier as you go along. Also, when I first got my braid sealer I noticed that after sealing a few braids it began to build up with the synthetic hair so after a few cut &amp; seals, I needed to clean it off. However, as the braid sealer gets older it stops having as much build up. I don’t know why, I guess because it’s getting used and oiled which stops the buildup (totally guessing here). Perhaps you can spray a bit of sheen spray or some type of oil on the sealer before using it to cut down on the buildup, that just might work, I wish had tried that when I first used it. Thanks, any other questions please let me know.

TBC72

Luvable Lady, I tried to PM (disabled)you because I don't want to flood this thread with so many questions.So sorry to bug you /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Yes, I bought the hot tooler braid sealer. Haven't tried it yet though. I'm sort of afraid to. Did you cut and burn the braids as you go along or did you do your whole head then cut and burn them. I'm just wondering if I could just braid the hair all the way to the end then burn it. Thanks so much for answering my questions. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

LuvableLady

Hi Tonia2002,

I don’t mind the questions at all. I will look into turning that message option on and you are welcomed to send a private message with any questions as well.

Okay, getting to your question. I did braid my entire head first then I went back to cut and seal each braid after I finished braiding. To keep the braids from coming loose until I finished my entire head, I just tied a knot at the end of each braid. The reason I did it this way was because when I started braiding (on a Friday) my braid sealer did not arrive until Monday so, I was almost finished braiding when it came. Had I had the braid sealer when I begin braiding, I would have definitely cut and sealed each one as I went along instead of the knot thing. It turned out okay because I was able to do the all the cutting/sealing at once which had its benefits also. Both ways have their positive sides (either braiding and immediately sealing or braid all and cut/seal all as the final step), you can’t go wrong either way.
/images/graemlins/smile.gif

adrienne0914

you're welcome, tonia! i hope the S-curl works for you.

about the braid sealer, i would braid to the end, and wait until you're done braiding before doing it. that way you can see how they all hang together as you're sealing/cutting them.

adrienne