I am convinced Haitian women have a hair secret....

dreysonsmommy2011

firecracker said:
:eek: Shaaaaaat the Haitian friends I have in NYC sho ain't got no damn bodies secret them some baldheaded chickenhead beyotches:lachen: :lachen:. **** I got mo secrets than they do:p and I damn sho ain't got no secret as you can see by my bush. :lachen:

:lachen: :lol: :lachen: :lol: :lachen: :lol: Firecracker, you are crazy girl!

Candy_C

i loved this thread too.

anything with sulphur in make my hair grow fastttt

sulfur 8 etc

i lvoe it

but i cant handle TOO MUCHH GROWTH not really lookin 2 get more relaxers a yr

candy
x

Lady Esquire

sylver2 said:
I posted this on another board. Right before I moved to DC. I was living in Roosevelt, Long Island. There is a Hatian salon that I went to faithfully every week called Yole's on Nassau Rd in Uniondale.
Wash n' Set-$14
Relaxer-$25
I started going right after my Halle Berry cut.
My hair was the healthiest its ever been and grew really fast while I was going to them. Every girl you see there had long hair.
When I moved to DC I would drive back up to NY twice a month just to get my hair done by them.

I went to school in Hempstead, next to Uniondale, and all the girls went to Yole's. Can't beat a wash and set for $11.

Back then, I was still mistreating my hair so I never went. But looking back, all the girls, some Haitian and some not, who went to Yole's regularly had long healthy hair.

bravenewgirl87

Natural is the key. About 2 years ago my aunt took it all of. I saw her dec. 2006, and she has about APL with shrinkage (i think)... I honestly think that natural is the best/easiest way to grow hair long. You don't have to worry about calculating relaxers, your not stripping the hair of anything, you don't have to worry about replenshing what you lost through chemicals. In fact, once you get past the transition phase (which is easier when you have long hair bc you don't have to wear fake hair. You can just braid your own or bun it, pony it,etc.) In Barbados, practically everyone is going back to natural. Not that i am knocking relaxed hair at all. Also, a lot of caribbean people use old-fashion african and island techniques and products for growth; Sticking to organic products. 100% shea butter, mango butter, castor oil, natural occuring oils. And lets not talk about the diet... caribbean people eat a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids and organic vegetables. If that doesn't grow your hair, i don't know what will.

zora

LadyEsquire said:
I went to school in Hempstead, next to Uniondale, and all the girls went to Yole's. Can't beat a wash and set for $11.

Back then, I was still mistreating my hair so I never went. But looking back, all the girls, some Haitian and some not, who went to Yole's regularly had long healthy hair.
I went to Yole's in Flatbush, Brooklyn for a minute. I couldn't stand their attitude and the fact that they couldn't style, so I didn't stay long with them, BUT they stylists and clientale had some LONG hair.

bravenewgirl87

zora said:
I went to Yole's in Flatbush, Brooklyn for a minute. I couldn't stand their attitude and the fact that they couldn't style, so I didn't stay long with them, BUT they stylists and clientale had some LONG hair.

NEVER discredit a stylist bc she can't style. those are the BEST ones....
You can always do you hair the way u wanit it, but if someone can help take the responsibility of caring for your hair off your hands.. hey! Congradulate her, she's making your day easier.:lol::lol::lol:

DivaD04

question ladies...the braids that haitians do b4 they go to bed, does anyone have a pic of the braids?
how do the ti tress look?

Victory1 you said:
They are braiding their hair at night before putting a satin cap on. It's not a regular braid, it's a bunch of tiny individual stand alone braids (Haitians call it ti tress (pronounced tee-tress)). It takes about 15 to 45 minutes, depending on how thick and how long your hair is).

ebonylocs

Instead of keeping it a secret, people should be making money off this stuff.
Come on people: generate some wealth, that's what it's all about.

If any of the Haitian peeps on the board know anyone back home who can make up a good mixture with huile d' masqueiti and all the other good stuff that someone else's Grandma puts in it, then they should link up with them and start a little exporting business.

Even just the pure huile d masqueti. You know how Westerners go wild for pure natural organic stuff.

For example in the UK, I could see someone like Akua from sheabuttercottage.co,uk selling it. She is from Ghana and sells all natural oils, butters etc directly from Africa, Central America, etc. She does it fair trade too - linking up with women trying to earn $$$, community development projects etc.
As a matter of fact I just checked her site and she has Palm Kernel oil from Ghana. http://www.akuawood.co.uk/product.php?productid=44&cat=6&page=2.
Haitians: is this the same thing? She doesn't advertise it as being for hair or as moisturising.
ETA: she's out of stock. See people - business opportunity!

ekomba

Instead of keeping it a secret, people should be making money off this stuff.
Come on people: generate some wealth, that's what it's all about.

If any of the Haitian peeps on the board know anyone back home who can make up a good mixture with huile d' masqueiti and all the other good stuff that someone else's Grandma puts in it, then they should link up with them and start a little exporting business.

Even just the pure huile d masqueti. You know how Westerners go wild for pure natural organic stuff.

For example in the UK, I could see someone like Akua from sheabuttercottage.co,uk selling it. She is from Ghana and sells all natural oils, butters etc directly from Africa, Central America, etc. She does it fair trade too - linking up with women trying to earn $$$, community development projects etc.
As a matter of fact I just checked her site and she has Palm Kernel oil from Ghana. http://www.akuawood.co.uk/product.php?productid=44&cat=6&page=2.
Haitians: is this the same thing? She doesn't advertise it as being for hair or as moisturising.
ETA: she's out of stock. See people - business opportunity!

you so right! i buy mine in the streets of brooklyn in church ave. the haitian lady imports them from back home and it s homemade and then they store it in empty rum bottles like 5dol the small bottle and big one 20dol. i usually get the big one cause i dont want to be coming back and forth to brooklyn for the huil masketi but it s sooooooooo great to thicken the hair i need me two bottles now that i think of it. i used to mix mine with mtg and minoval, my growth was great then.:yep:

ETA: but i dont know if its pure though they be adding all kind of stuff to it generally when it s homemade. it s black brownish with a smell to it like molasses and sometimes they add minoval and many stuff while doing it i never gotten to ask what exactly goes there but i know a couple of haitian salons in queens and bk, they sell a potion i m sure its masketi oil my friend did tell me but they refuse to tell the ingredients. its just when i told my haitian girlfriend after i managed to squeeze out of her one of her secrets being minoval, its only when i confronted her after reading on the board 2 years ago about the masketi oil, her only frigthened answer was " WHAT u know about the masketi? like let me found out how you heard about our thing oh well mind you its a great "close" friend or used to be. i swear sometimes u just feel like hair is sooooooo tabou that people dont want to share the hair successes and dont want u to grow your hair long. But i noticed a lot of girls around brooklyn, have LONG hair i think this is where i have seen the longest lengths ever, even yesterday i saw a natural dark skinned girl that look like 16 yr old with thick long natural hair. i kept my mouth open staring at her the whole time

Last edited:

bluediamond0829

Natural is the key. About 2 years ago my aunt took it all of. I saw her dec. 2006, and she has about APL with shrinkage (i think)... I honestly think that natural is the best/easiest way to grow hair long. You don't have to worry about calculating relaxers, your not stripping the hair of anything, you don't have to worry about replenshing what you lost through chemicals. In fact, once you get past the transition phase (which is easier when you have long hair bc you don't have to wear fake hair. You can just braid your own or bun it, pony it,etc.) In Barbados, practically everyone is going back to natural. Not that i am knocking relaxed hair at all. Also, a lot of caribbean people use old-fashion african and island techniques and products for growth; Sticking to organic products. 100% shea butter, mango butter, castor oil, natural occuring oils. And lets not talk about the diet... caribbean people eat a lot of Omega 3 fatty acids and organic vegetables. If that doesn't grow your hair, i don't know what will.

ITA there is no secret. They do the same as we do. Its just that they maybe limited on the amount of products that they have available to them. So what is the next best thing to use, shea butter, castor oil, mayonaise etc.

I knew alot of ladies from the islands including Haitian ladies when i was in school. Some had long thick beautiful hair and some couldnt get any because they kept on gluing in weaves.

I even one time asked my friend from Trinidad specifically what she did and she had long pass the shoulder thick hair. Nothing but stretch relaxers sometimes she would get blowouts just to help her stretch out her relaxers. But other than that i dont think she did anything special to her hair. Probably just kept it simple regimen.

Tamrin

unapologetic
question ladies...the braids that haitians do b4 they go to bed, does anyone have a pic of the braids?
how do the ti tress look?

Victory1 you said:
They are braiding their hair at night before putting a satin cap on. It's not a regular braid, it's a bunch of tiny individual stand alone braids (Haitians call it ti tress (pronounced tee-tress)). It takes about 15 to 45 minutes, depending on how thick and how long your hair is).

There is no name to them. Just little individual braids. My lil sister does them. Even when she comes to my house. She closes the door as if its a big hair secret (I know the secret she is searching thru my hair supply stash). I love her hair. but lawd the child knows not what to do with the air. Cannot style for nuttin.

miami74

ITA about natural hair. When I was pregnant twice back to back, I had my hair in braids while my hair underwear was natural. After I stopped wearing braids, my hair was the longest and healthiest it's ever been. Things changed a lot after I went back to relaxing. It wasn't as healthy and didn't grow that fast. Also, my mom and aunt are from the islands and they have very healthy, long hair. My mom often spoke about how back home they would use a lot of old fashion island techniques and diet that attributed to their healthy hair. I need to incorporate more of their techniques.

clever

here is a recipe I found:

I do. Get the grenn masketi. Let it veyr very dry. Pu it in a hot pot and put it in there let it griye like popcorn. Then pile'l and then bouyi'l avek dlo, and then pick the oil on top of the water while it is on the fire.

DivaD04

thx, Closer1. lol:lachen:sounds like my sister....that's just too bad...:lachen: I'm going to try them out on my dd...if she let's me :rolleyes: she's only 3 and after her own experimental bc...i'm try'n my best to get this child's hair back on the right track and i'll take pics...and yes, I also have to agree that haitians need i love diversity...one culture teaching another culture.

ebonylocs why we gotta be Westerners go wild for pure natural organic stuff...lol:look: :spinning: Naw, for me tho, I'd rather have stuff that's not made up in someone's lab..., but I'll get from ya kitchen, yes ma'am! I'm no monkey or lab rat!!!:lachen:I've read online that if an ingredient has an awful smell, and if it's covered up with parfum, the manufacturer doesn't have to list that ingredient. so yeah, pass me the huile d masqueti, jbco, babassu butter, murumuru butter...i'll use it like there's no tommorow!!!

speaking of huile d mesqueti um, who's going to start selling this online...i'm not in the states to get any :drunk:

jenteel

i 2 am haitian:grin:
i don't know abt "the secret"
but growing up i have always known alot of haitian women with long hair
thick hair is also very common for haitian people
i feel like its in our dna!lol!
like previously mentioned the haircare is simple
somewhat similar to dominicans w/ rollersetting except no abuse of heat
i used to go to yole's in uniondale 2:yep:
(i live in uniondale)
and most of the frequent clientele had long to really long hair
haitians also stretch relaxers
i used to relax my hair every 3-4 months

haitians usually lose all the techniques when they come here
they get brainwashed by all these products promoting beautiful hair
relax 2 often which breaks the hair then get weaves
like my mom used to do all these treatments with mayo and oils
when i was little but she sucks with hair now
i am teaching her now
as for the castor oil
i always have my auntie bring me back some on her visits
it is a pure raw form that is unlike castor oil in the states
i love it and treat it like gold!

ladies we know the secrets
they are all on this site :yep:
keep posting these recipies!

Tamrin

unapologetic
here is a recipe I found:

I do. Get the grenn masketi. Let it veyr very dry. Pu it in a hot pot and put it in there let it griye like popcorn. Then pile'l and then bouyi'l avek dlo, and then pick the oil on top of the water while it is on the fire.

Girl you gave the straight creole way. LOL.

Griye= Roast

Pile= crush

Bouyi= Boil

Avek dlo= with water.

But the issue is to find the seed.

graCeful_89

YEP, She swore by Castor Oil I believe :)

I'm haitian and I'm telling you castor oil is the stuff meng. I should start using it. I have some in my car :lol: idk why..When I used to do my hair with the oh man, soft and longggg. My poor mother got hoodwinked into relaxing my hair at a very young age and well, the rest is history

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Whats the secret?(i dont feel like reading thw whole thread) im of haitian decent and ive had short hair forever. i hope its not the oil. i refuse to walk around smelling like huile mesquite. reminds me of my child hood days when people would ask "who smells like that? eww!":nono: ill stick to commercial strawberry scented products thank you!

LOL. this is quite an old thread. I probably already wrote in it too! But I agree with earlier posts-I don't think its an exact hair secret but a combination of things. I'm even starting to lean towards the genes factor but I'm still not sure.

l'huile maskreti is the truth for growth though-I just don't like it- I think it smells and makes my hair VERY coarse. If anyone has come up with a way to counter the smell PLEASE post! :yep:

Last edited:

didirose

Sak passe femme haitian!!!

How in the heck did this thread get dug up? I think this was the first thread I posted in.:grin:

DivaD04, ti tresse are just little twists or braids all over the head. I don't have a pic but I have link to a painting. I love my Haitian art enjoy:

http://www.carrieartcollection.com/artist-arc/kathy_castera/KC05.html

The only time my mom did this was after washing and detangling my hair. It was the thing to do before styling it in whatever natural style she had in mind. I think it could possibly be a way to keep tangling down and keep hair out of the way while styling the hair.

Over the years I would see women adding castor oil to their hair concoctions but I've never seen them add it to their hair alone. The haitian castor oil was more important for other uses, especially used as rubs when you have muscle/joint pain or when sick. East coast women are lucky to have vendors selling it. I live in the midwest and we would pray they didn't open our bags and throw it out. With the new airline rules I wouldn't even go through the drama.:nono:

sweetsuccess

the link didnt work for me :(

Ladies I think I discovered the secret. I saw one of my cousins yesterday and her hair grew like crazy, she had a Halle Berry cut and now it is like an ear length bob in less then 6 months i believe. I asked her what she was using and she was like this thing called Keralong Gamme and another product called cheveux pousse. I am not accurate with the names but I have a site she gave me to see the products. She said alot of Haitians are sweating these products and you would never know cause they don't share their secrets. I told her that was so true. Well here is the site but the only problem is that it is in french but some of the descriptions are in english. I see alot of interesting products for hair growth here so I will be giving some a try. So I think I discovered the secret and I am sharing so I hope you all enjoy the site. Here it is

http://www.extrait-good.com/product_info.php/products_id/38

sweetsuccess

OK,OK ! Ya'll know the PRODUCT J.U.N.K.I.E in me HAD to look this up ! I might try to get me some of this from NATUREmd.net for 8.50 cheap!!!!!! :yay: :user:

8.50 is a lot!! for minoval.. in miami its sold for 3.99 .... everywhere else should be 6.99 at most!! go to ur beauty supply stores.. theyll have it... make sure u get the drops and not the pomade. its tooo greasy...

btw, im haitian too and ive always been using minoval... my dad had loss his hair due to an illness and the minoval made it grow back before u know it... but prior to that everyone in my family has been using it.. and its wonderfull.... some ppl have had complaints that it makes them grow hair everywhere.. but ive yet to notice or see anything of that sort n ive been using it well over 10 years now. i just cut and color and damage my hair too much.. but i put my highschool friends on it back in the day and theyre hair is thicker and stronger than ever! .... hth

Mahalialee4

8.50 is a lot!! for minoval.. in miami its sold for 3.99 .... everywhere else should be 6.99 at most!! go to ur beauty supply stores.. theyll have it... make sure u get the drops and not the pomade. its tooo greasy...

btw, im haitian too and ive always been using minoval... my dad had loss his hair due to an illness and the minoval made it grow back before u know it... but prior to that everyone in my family has been using it.. and its wonderfull.... some ppl have had complaints that it makes them grow hair everywhere.. but ive yet to notice or see anything of that sort n ive been using it well over 10 years now. i just cut and color and damage my hair too much.. but i put my highschool friends on it back in the day and theyre hair is thicker and stronger than ever! .... hth

So could you elaborate on this more, and what happens when you quit using it? Some people have complained of hair loss, is this true? Some have said it dried out hair at the roots? Is this true? Also does it have a termination time for the product to be effective. bonjour