Help my edges - How do you wrap hair at night?

*KP*

I used to wrap my hair at night when I wore it out every day and that was fine but once I started protective styling I thought wrapping at night was unnecessary manipulation.

These days, I just pull my hair back but with no band, put a satin scarf on and tie it up at the front. The knot of the scarf sits on the front left of my head and my edges are suffering as a result. If I tie it at the back, the scarf slides off. Since realising this, I've started wrapping my hair again just to protect the edges but I'd rather not do that.

How do you ladies wear your hair at night to protect your edges and keep the scarf on your head until morning?

Chasity

What kind of scarf are you using? I use the satin scarf and if I tie it in the back I just wrap it around my head twice and it stays on all night, I feel you about tying the knot in the front...It Hurts:cry:

*KP*

What kind of scarf are you using? I use the satin scarf and if I tie it in the back I just wrap it around my head twice and it stays on all night, I feel you about tying the knot in the front...It Hurts:cry:

Square satin scarf folded diagonally, I cover the front, bring the long parts round the back then back to the front and tie. If I reverse the process and cover the back first it falls off.

Artemis

I take a soft brush or seamless comb and smooth my edges (y'know the baby hairs, lol) down how they are supposed to lay normally (against the wrap) and then smooth my length over that in the direction of the wrap. I also use one of those mesh bands around the base of my head. Then I use a big swatch of silk from the fabric store to wrap-- 32"x32"--and tie it the way you tie yours...That's the only way I can get a safe wrap. I hate that it takes all that, so I try not to wrap more than 2-3x/wk. Buns for the other days.

*KP*

I take a soft brush or seamless comb and smooth my edges (y'know the baby hairs, lol) down how they are supposed to lay normally (against the wrap) and then smooth my length over that in the direction of the wrap. I also use one of those mesh bands around the base of my head. Then I use a big swatch of silk from the fabric store to wrap-- 32"x32"--and tie it the way you tie yours...That's the only way I can get a safe wrap. I hate that it takes all that, so I try not to wrap more than 2-3x/wk. Buns for the other days.

I agree with artemis....using a mesh wrap, then a silk scraf will help the edges tremendously...

Do either of you have a picture of what a mesh wrap looks like? Google gave me nothing

*KP*

Thanks ladies,

the packaging on this one looks familiar
I'll search for it in London.

So these don't dry the hair out or rub and cause breakage?

ETA - what if I am not wrapping my hair. For those of you that bun, how do you protect your edges?

TLC1020

Looking at someone edges I can almost tell that they wrap their hair by the way the edges look.. I see some ladies with one side edges look good but then the other side look HAM...:ohwell: I don't know any ladies who wrap their hair every single night and their edges not messed up, at least one side be :nono:. Not sure if other ladies alternate wrapping the.. One night wrap to the right and another night wrap to the left...

Crystal

Yup I use the mesh wrap too... that's the only thing that will stay on my head. I don't like wrapping my entire head.. it gets too hot for me.