Attn.hair divas: My hair feels rough but is healthy, how can I get it to feel smooth?

ajoyfuljoy

Hey everybody,

I've been in this hair game as a LHCFer since about March (I think) and it's been going good. But I need some help.

It seems like when a lot of heat is used on my hair that it gets my hair to feel really smooth, kind of like weave. I luv this feeling and it makes me feel great about my hair. My cuticle feels smooth and everything.

But when I use indirect heat, which holds a great style, my hair feels kind of rough and not really smooth. I am 4a/b relaxed. I rollerset and rollerwrap my hair once a week (and flat iron the roots when necessary). My hair is the healthiest that it's ever been but still...

What's the deal? How can I get my hair to feel smooth, yall feel me?

SelfStyled

Re: Attn.hair divas: My hair feels rough but is healthy, how can I get it to feel smo

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I want to go to the BSS and ask for a product that smooths the cuticle. Here are some things that might help, porosity control, and also doing ACV rinses can help to smooth things out. Are you under processed at all? Cause I know for me that has definitely contributed to my hair feeling rough. Has the henna helped to fill in the cuticles some? Also there is 1more product that I have heard about on her made by Rusk, I think its called "Smoother" do some research on that to see what the product claims are.

sikora

Re: Attn.hair divas: My hair feels rough but is healthy, how can I get it to feel smo

Definitely try porosity control

When you rinse out your conditioner try a cold water rinse. And when I say cold I mean cold, not lukewarm:lachen:

sareca

Got any neutralizing poo left over? Try that.

ajoyfuljoy

Yay (big hug)! You feel my pain :yep:

Henna didn't really help it to be more smooth than normal, but I can tell my hair is stronger.

I'm not underprocessed, my stuff is to thick to be playing around with the creamy crack! When I put it on my hair, I have to use it hard core!!!

I'm going to look into those ACV rinses. Thanks :)

sherann

A creamy leave in conditioner like lacio lacio should help.

ajoyfuljoy

Thank you ladies for your responses so far? BUMP!!!

ajoyfuljoy

anyone else want to impart their pearls of wisdom?

IntoMyhair

when i had this problem porosity control helped a lot

at sallys they have the small sample bottles you can get 1 use out of
that should help you figure out if it's a solution

and someone mentioned rusk smoother this is my leave in all the time it replace ntm silk touch ( i'm on the fence between this and G Direct leave in)

foxy kc

Try using a serum

seeminglysweet

:bump:

Dealing with a consistent 4-5inches of non-smooth ends.

Dposh167

:bump:

Dealing with a consistent 4-5inches of non-smooth ends.

OMG ME TOO!!!!....it just doesn't make sense b.c. right before my relaxer, those ends were as healthy as can be. and now (5 weeks after fresh relaxer)..they're rough & jagged.

I did porosity control my 2nd week post...lil change but not much. Hair is still porous. maybe i'll do it AGAIN! ugh..what a pain

Dposh167

found the ingredients for Rusk Smoother

Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Cyclomethicone, Cetearyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Propylene Glycol, Polquaternium-37, Stearyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Aloe Barbadensis leaf Extract, Passiflora Edulis Flower Extract, Cetrimonium Bromide, Dimethicone Copolyol Meadowfoanate, PPG-20 Methyl Glucose Ther, Cinnamidopropyltrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate, Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Fragrance PPG-1 Trideceth-6, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Orange 4, Yellow 6

:)ohwell:i was hoping it wouldn't have too many cones in it. i'm a really low cone user.)

Anybody else have any other product suggestions?

seeminglysweet

PURE COCONUT OIL, helps me everytime.

If it were only that easy :sad:

I've tried coconut oil as a rinse and to seal my leave-ins after washing, no luck.

I've tried chi silk infusion, it's nice, but no match for these ends.

I've tried olive oil serum, "HA!," my ends say.

Soaking wet rollersets and pibby.....one would think...still no improvement.

:wallbash:

Starting to think direct heat is the only match for these ends.

I haven't even had them for that long.....I was SL in 2005 and had many trims since.

hothair

I'm texlaxed and coloured and even when natural this happened to me, I started using products for coloured hair (that lay down cuticles) Aussie Deep conditioner and Colour treatment, also I did a treatment for ends Traycee (search bootcamp for those that colour) and Robin (www.growafrohairlong.com ) talk about - with foil, cold water/ EVOO and a warm flat iron, that definitely helped:yep:

seeminglysweet

I'm texlaxed and coloured and even when natural this happened to me, I started using products for coloured hair (that lay down cuticles) Aussie Deep conditioner and Colour treatment, also I did a treatment for ends Traycee (search bootcamp for those that colour) and Robin (www.growafrohairlong.com ) talk about - with foil, cold water/ EVOO and a warm flat iron, that definitely helped:yep:

Now, you may be on to something :yep: I'm colored and relaxed but I haven't use a color specific product in years.

I'll be researching this treatment for ends too.

Thanks!

Dposh167

yes..i've read about this technique in a magazine, but got confused b.c. i never understood what exactly its supposed to do.

JustKiya

Try a citric acid rinse! Anytime my ends start feeling 'snarly', I whip up a quick rinse (1/2 tsp of citric acid to 8-12oz of water and a tiny bit of conditioner to give it a lil 'thickness') - and my ends smooth out and turn to butter.

It's worth a try. :yep:

You can find citric acid as Pickling Salt in the spice aisle of most grocery stores.

MissLawyerLady

Oooh good thread. I was just thinking about this (healthy hair but rough ends at 8 weeks post relaxer) and wondering what I could do. Good tips.

Divine Inspiration

I second the ACV rinses and the Porosity Control. Both are effective. I prepoo with PC every 2-3 weeks to keep things smooth and silky.

I also recommend Vatika oil for sealing in a leave-in on wash day. It has completely transformed my hair, especially my ends.

ajoyfuljoy

That's funny somebody kicked this thread up! This isn't even my problem anymore (thank God).

I started doing ACV rinses which were a big help. Rinsing with cold water really helped! Cowashing (and DCing 1-2 times a week) helps. I also pre-poo.

Basically I use conditioner like lotion (always cowashing). That stuff is always up in my head!

Using minimal products (and just products that are higher quality) helps. Also minimal heat and light protein treatment help.

My whole regimen just really helps me. I got off the last of my damaged hair that wouldn't feel soft for anything, and now my hair is super soft all the time :yep:

filthyfresh

Girl, we are hair twins. It's ridiculous. :lachen:
I think I need some porosity control though.

C

cieramichele

I like matrix sleek.look

GeorginaSparks

Try a citric acid rinse! Anytime my ends start feeling 'snarly', I whip up a quick rinse (1/2 tsp of citric acid to 8-12oz of water and a tiny bit of conditioner to give it a lil 'thickness') - and my ends smooth out and turn to butter.

It's worth a try. :yep:

You can find citric acid as Pickling Salt in the spice aisle of most grocery stores.
WOW. Ive never heard of this but i will try it. Thanks!!!

I second the ACV rinses and the Porosity Control. Both are effective. I prepoo with PC every 2-3 weeks to keep things smooth and silky.

I also recommend Vatika oil for sealing in a leave-in on wash day. It has completely transformed my hair, especially my ends.
Do you mix it with anything? Do you use heat? How long do you leave it in your hair?

ajoyfuljoy

Girl, we are hair twins. It's ridiculous. :lachen:
I think I need some porosity control though.

Is that filthyfresh, my African tribe cousin? :lachen:

I've never tried this porosity control. But if you are giving it a shot I might as well too!

filthyfresh

Is that filthyfresh, my African tribe cousin? :lachen:

I've never tried this porosity control. But if you are giving it a shot I might as well too!

LMAO.
Well African tribe cousin, I've been co-washing & what not, but my hair still has that...brittle-like feeling. I read Sistaslick's article on porosity, and I think that's my problem. When I'm not so poor I'll invest in some and let you know what happens. :lachen: