Am I the only natural that hates braidouts and twist outs?

Sholapie

I really like wash and gos but they lead to more ssks which leads to more frequent trimming for me, I guess if I wasn't so obsessed with length retention it would be ideal.

Wash and gos are also easy, quick and cute while twistouts take me an obscenely long time to do lol but I can make them last a week without retwisting, I only add product on wash day (mostly) and I get to see some length which I love.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I only hate them because they don't look good on me. My hair is too fine and coily. I love them on other people though.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I love the look of braidouts and twistouts on other people, but my 3c/4a hair is SO curly that it ends up "reverting" from the set. For me, it's too much manipulation and tangles for essentially the same look as my wash n go. So I stick with that :grin:.

PatTodd
You hair is freaking DELICIOUS!!!!!

almond eyes

I do not like twists or twistouts. In my other transitions I would twist and twist creating my hair to shed and not understand why my fine hair wasn't looking nice and chunky. I cannot imagine spending that much time on twisting out my hair to have it look scrawny and limp.

I prefer braid outs but at the moment as my hair is still too short and I do not want to manipulate my strands too much so I am working my natural hair pattern in wash and goes.

Best,
Almond Eyes

ladybug71

ladybug71

What is your method for a twistout?

I just can't get it right :(

Awwww Adiatasha :hug2: don't despair. It certainly took me awhile to learn.

I've tried diff twists using water vs. leave in spray; twisting with just conditioner; LOC vs LCO then twisting; twists with a little water and just olive oil gel; twists with water and Cantu shea butter; and so on. Add to that what size to twist, medium, small... Ugh! The time! My hair seems to take forever to dry so saturating it with water before twisting just doesn't work for me :nono: I end up taking down half wet twists that shrink up. :rolleyes: Now, I just barely dampen my hair with liquid and altenate using Cantu and gel. Certain conditioners just don't do the trick for me. I try not to make the twist too large and not cover with a scarf right away so the air can dry it out longer.

Natty_Virgo

I think I'm mostly 4a with some 3c in the back and my hair loathes twistouts and braidouts. I have tried both many times and the only thing I can do to my hair to have it look decent is wear a wash n go.

Sent from my Note 4 using LHCF

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
You're not the only one. If I'm going to spend all that time twisting/braiding, you better believe it's going to stay up at least a week or two. Ain't nobody got time for that.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
I love twist-outs on my 4a hair!

They give me stretched, defined curls and coils for days!

At night, I simply do big twists, seal the ends and sleep in a silk bonnet. Depending on how dry my hair is, I add a small amount of product to each section for twisting, seal and sleep with a silk bonnet.

When I use no product, it takes me 10 minutes to twist my hair.

When I use product, it takes me 15 minutes.

ckisland

Another downside to my braid/twistouts was how horribly they would poof up and explode or shrink back into my scalp :nono:. But I could do a wash n'go and be rained on (this happened to me a lot), and my hair would stay exactly the same as long as I applied a good amount of gel. This, and noticing that my hair stayed moisturized a week later, made me realize that gel is an excellent sealant :yep:. I think it's cool at the MHM method showed this to more naturals.

I've never had a setback from doing a wash n'go. But every time I did a bantu knotout, I had to cut my hair my ends either to get them free or to get rid of the 5 ssks that magically form :nono:. I went through a couple of short "twist" phases, and I got so much breakage each time. And when I would go to wash m twistout, my hair would mesh together in the twistout pattern!!! My natural hair was never tangled or matted unless I did one of these styles :censored:

overtherainbow

I never realized people hate twistouts. I've been living in twistouts since I joined this forum. If I wanted to, I could get a set to last over a week with no MS, retwisting, or any type of manipulation at all. A lot of it has to do with the products you use and how they react to your hair type. I found that glycerin free products and heavy sealants yeild the best twistouts on my type 4 porous hair. Also medium-small twists are key unless you're twisting in the shower.

bklynbornNbred

I was just venting my frustration. Sunday wash and flat twist, two days to dry, Wednesday flop :wallbash:. This thread can go well if we let it.
that's what my hair does! like reverting from a press:perplexed:

Have you tried sitting under dryer? My (relaxed/transitioning) hair has never liked air drying at all but indirect heat for 30 minutes makes a big difference in how a twist/braid out looks. If I do that then sleep on it it's even better in am.

blackeyes31626

I love twists and braids. I never do twistouts bc I like the look of twists esp. frizzy twists and I prefer styles that last weeks bc I am kinda lazy when it comes to styling mah hair.

Lylddlebit

I also cannot wear them for extended periods. I save them as a day before wash day style. Let's say its the end of the week and I need to look nice but don't have time for the full wash day process, that is the perfect time for a twist out braid out or fro. That is my compromise to prevent the woes you described in the OP.

Fine 4s

Around this time of year, I'm over my hair.

Braid outs don't look good on me so I do twist outs. The style dies about 3-5 days max. The routine goes, twist, release and then bun. But let me tell you...that bun is a tangled mess, my scalp is sore and I get an "alien" head as the days go by until wash day. It looks like that because the bun gets long since the hair is so tangled inside that all I can do is scrape the surface with a brush and put the darn hair in the scrunchy ugh (can u tell I'm going through it?)!!!

Like I said I'm over this whole hair care and styling thing around fall/winter time so I'm in complaining mode.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
When my hair was relaxed and shoulder length, a twist out would last a week. Now I am lucky to go a whole day with a braidout. I haven't attempted a twist out yet. I just see it as a big waste of my time.

Kurlee

Have you tried sitting under dryer? My (relaxed/transitioning) hair has never liked air drying at all but indirect heat for 30 minutes makes a big difference in how a twist/braid out looks. If I do that then sleep on it it's even better in am.

I've tried it all and my hair does this::lachen:

No twist-outs for me, EVER. My hair is very fine and tangles very badly around day 3. My hair can barely even hold a twist :lol:

Kinda funny since when I was transitioning I hoped to wear my natural hair mostly in twists :rofl:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I love them. My hair looks best in them. It is my favorite look and I have found products that make them look their best in my opinion. My technique gives me just the results I am looking for at this point.

However, I understand why you don't like them. In my case they take way too long to dry (which is why now I do them on lightly blown out hair). Braids take way too long to take down and for me the style only lasts a day or two unless I do something to reset it. It is cumbersome. I love the results, but it is cumbersome. So I understand where you are coming from completely. Wash and go's at this point are something I have never mastered. So, I pick the devil I know :lol:.

Afroditeee

I'm a 4a natural and my hair HATES those styles:nono:. Besides the tangles, shedding, frizz, days to dry, it only looks good the first and second day and then begins to lose it's definition and get dryish and then at night, how the heck do you sleep without retwisting or risk flattening and ruining the style. When I slap some gel or KCCCC in my hair, I get shiny, frizz free curls for a week that stand up to sweat and sleep, plus no tangles. I guess braid out/twistouts aren't for everyone.:nono:

:( /rant

Same exact thing with me, I just learned to master my wash and go (+stretching)

MarieB

I usually do twistouts on mostly air-dried, very leave-in loaded hair, and, since I have reintroduced cones to my regi, life is good. I pineapple on non-wash days, but I still have not found a solution for SSK's. Anyone got suggestions other than scissors?

NaturalBritt87

I've mastered my small/medium sized twists twist out and can get minimal of 1 week hair without retwisting. I retwist to get more volume. I managed to get almost a 2 week twist out using smooth naturals hair perfection. I only retwisted the back of my hair that got a little frizzy. I agree with overtherainbow in that you have to start out with the right products for your hair. I however, have not mastered the chunky twist out, I always end up with smaller twists :lol: I had a braid out fail twice, :lol: too much time and effort to put them in and take them down without accumulating frizz. Braiding takes too long compared to twisting. I am a WnG girl to my heart though :grin:

Last edited:

Britt

Twist outs have been my staple style since going natural. Last night I tried to pin and tuck to practice and then this morning I tried to do it and it looked terrible :nono:. I had to braid my hair in 2 cornrows to come to work. My hair is at the length where I feel I have to rock a twist out. When it gets longer I plan to do buns and more cornrows and hopefully my pin and tuck will look better then.

nerdography

Twist/Braid outs never work for me. I put in all that effort and my hair frizzes the minute I take them down, and my hair is completely dry and I coat my hands in oil. I think the issues is I have too many various textures on my head and they don't like to work together.