Response video to comments about Maximum Hydration

fasika

I'm on my phone and in a hurry so please correct me if I'm reading wrong. The person up in arms about MHM and claiming type 4 naturals are running from their texture has relaxed hair?! :look:

Guinan

Re-Branding
As I said, I'm all about simplicity at this point in my life. Once a week, I wash with a sulfate-free shampoo, and DC with whatever I found on sale from a reasonably reputable line. Currently it's something from Shea Moisture that my hair does't hate. I moisturize with a leave-in that is water-based (listed as the first ingredient) and seal with a light oil, usually coconut. Every two weeks or so I will do an Aphogee protein treatment to help out my relaxed ends. I'm transitioning my WL relaxed hair (I'm six months post), so I only finger detangle and put my hair up in loose buns. I use no heat, and I air dry. I moisturize and seal about twice a week in addition to wash day. That's about it.

How long do u DC for?

koolkittychick

Please cite your sources, thanks.

On the Green Beauty Channel (a must for any 4c curly girl):

http://youtu.be/_lMauJ9-jUE

Deals with relaxing, pH, and how it affects hair.

Wikipedia on baking soda:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_bicarbonate

Wikipedia on ACV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_cider_vinegar

Wikipedia on bentonite clay:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite

For the specific pHs of these substances, Google "pH of " " and it will come up for you.

:yep:

Last edited:

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I found this article on FutureDerm.com.

This what I found in the About Us section:

ABOUT US

"Hi, my name is Nicki Zevola, and I’m the voice behind FutureDerm. My background is in the sciences (degrees in Biology and Physics, minor in Chemistry; ten years of laboratory experience and counting). I love beauty products and I’m inspired by the synergy between art and science that occurs with them."

I think this may be worth a read:

"3 Reasons Why Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar Destroy Your Hair — And What to Use Instead

by Nicki Zevola.

Posted on June 20, 2012

What can you tell us about the no ‘poo trend (washing with baking soda in place of shampoo, and apple cider vinegar in place of conditioner)? Is it actually better for our hair? I works well for me- but I would like to learn if it has actual benefits before I make it my regular regime.
-Kendra

Dear Kendra,

Much like leather, poorly cared for hair can become dry and dull.
Hair can be thought of like a fine leather: With improper treatment, it can become stripped of its natural oils, resulting in a dried, limp, colorless remnant of what used to be.

Thankfully, like fine leather, hair can be maintained and restored. One common belief is that natural ingredients like baking soda and apple cider vinegar leaves hair softer, cleaner, and more healthy than traditional shampoo. However, keep the following in mind:

Problems with Using Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar to Wash Your Hair

Most shampoos are formulated with a neutral or slightly acidic pH. Baking soda in water alone is basic, despite what you may have heard to the contrary.
1. Baking soda is a known irritant that will cause your hair to dry out and break over time.

With a pH of 9 — 100 times more basic than water — baking soda is a known alkaline irritant (Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, 1989). According to renowned dermatologist Dr. Audrey Kunin, M.D., “The first principle of shampooing: make sure your shampoo says it is pH-balanced and avoid those that are alkaline. Alkaline shampoos strip the hair’s natural oils and disrupt the acid mantle, causing dehydration and leading to porous, fragile hair” (The DermaDoctor SkinStruction Manual, 2005).

Yes, it’s true that baking soda helps regulate pH — keeping a substance neither too acidic nor too alkaline. When baking soda comes in contact with either an acidic or an alkaline substance, its effect is to neutralize that pH. However, as any cosmetic chemist can tell you, this effect occurs when baking soda is in solution with other chemicals. When baking soda is in water alone, guess what the pH of the solution is? You guessed it: A very basic 9, much more alkaline than plain ol’ water.

2.) Apple Cider Vinegar Has Some Benefit — But Can Still Make Hair Brassy.

Apple cider vinegar is an antifungal that can make hair shinier, but its acidity can also make hair color change before going out in the sun (think lemon juice!)
Apple cider vinegar arguably has more going for it as a hair rinse than baking soda. While I can’t find conclusive evidence to prove that apple cider vinegar is great at fighting dandruff, it can fight certain fungal infections. Studies have shown that apple cider vinegar is effective in fighting Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger. (Thi-Qar Medical Journal, 2011)

Due to the slightly acidic pH of apple cider vinegar mixed with 2-3 parts water, some experts believe it can also extend the life of hair color when applied immediately after hair dye is rinsed off. Most hair dyes are alkaline, which opens up the hair cuticle. When hair color is applied, it can then penetrate to the hair’s inner cortex, where it can react with the hair’s pigment molecules to produce a color change. Acidic solutions applied after, like apple cider vinegar, may reseal the cuticle. This flattening may not only help hair color last longer, but also flatten the cuticle, making your hair easier to comb and a bit shinier.

Still, overdoing it with apple cider vinegar can cause more damage than it is worth. Anyone who has applied lemon juice to their hair can tell you that acidic solutions will cause your hair to become lighter, drier, and more brittle over time. Those “blessed” with black hair, like myself, can tell you that the acidity will also bring out the brassy tones in your color, leaving you with lovely orange hair Zoe the muppet would envy. If you still don’t believe me, keep in mind that many perming solutions have an acidic pH, breaking disulfide bonds within straight hair.

3. You’re depleting your hair of natural oils.

Putting a few drops of oil on your hair after shampooing helps, but you’re still not moisturizing your scalp. Better: use a shampoo with natural replenishing oils that is suitable for your hair type.
One terrible thing about using baking soda and apple cider vinegar alone on your hair is that these do not contain any oils that can be beneficial for your hair. The best shampoos replenish natural sheen to the hair which they have just stripped as a part of the cleaning process.

There are a number of moisturizing ingredients in shampoos that can replenish your hair’s natural oils; these include (but are not limited to):

Jojoba oil
Sweet almond oil
Squalene
Emu
Phospholipids
Argan oil
But by taking the “do-it-yourself” approach, you are taking away the ability for shampoos to gently replenish oils from root to tip. Instead, you’re drying out your scalp, and likely replenishing oils only on the ends of your hair. Not cool.

The Real Source of the Misunderstanding

Not all chemicals are bad. Really. I promise.
If I hear one more “expert” say that “chemicals” are ruining your skin, hair, or the environment, I’ll scream. Chemicals have prolonged many more lives than they have cut short, in the form of potent antibacterials, antifungals, antibiotics — you name it. Just 100 years ago, the average life expectancy was 51 for men and 56 for women (Berkeley.edu). The reason we’re living 25-30 years longer isn’t improved nutrition or more “natural” products — it’s medicine, pharmaceuticals, chemicals.

That said, I’m not going to defend the deplorable actions of some companies for the last few decades, either. By including known irritants like sulfates and phthalates into some of their products, the beauty and cosmetics industry has lost the trust of many of their more health-conscious consumers.

Which would you choose? Turns out white willow bark (left) and aspirin (right) work the same way in the body. Aspirin is just more concentrated.
But instead of turning to the solid research that lead to life-extending drugs and medicines for possible replacements, we instead believe somehow big pharma and major cosmetics companies are “bad.” For instance, we’ve turned to plant extracts. Ask any natural product advocate on the street about white willow bark and aspirin, and she’ll tell you white willow bark is “good” and aspirin is “bad.” Yet the active compound in white willow bark is exactly the same as in aspirin. Scientists can extract the active parts of many plants of white willow bark, isolate it, and shazam! — you have the same active ingredient as in aspirin.

My point in addressing this is one of caution: Do not trust products just because they are “natural.” It may fit in more with a natural, holistic lifestyle, but you can actually be putting yourself in more danger. Some people I know dreamed of becoming a cosmetic chemist from the time they were a child. They studied hard, went through years of schooling, some got PhDs, then got tons of formulation experience, and made fantastic shampoos — and you’re mixing baking soda and putting it on your scalp like your great-grandmother?! It doesn’t make sense. New technologies and their chemicals are not all bad. Some, in fact, are fantastic for your hair.

Bottom Line

Three take-home points:

Please never use baking soda on your hair. It is associated with breakage and damage.
You can use apple cider vinegar (1 tbsp/1 cup of water) occasionally, meaning twice/month or less. I do not recommend using it before going out in the sun or for those with dyed dark hair — the acidity can bring out brassiness.

Please try to consider the fact that “chemicals” are not always “bad” and “natural” is not always “good.” If you don’t believe me, consider the fact that we’re living 25-30 years longer now than 100 years ago due to medicine, drugs, and chemicals. Hope this helps!"

ETA: The suggested products list has been redacted to fall within the character limit.

Last edited:

koolkittychick

I found this article on FutureDerm.com.

This what I found in the About Us section:

ABOUT US

"Hi, my name is Nicki Zevola, and I’m the voice behind FutureDerm. My background is in the sciences (degrees in Biology and Physics, minor in Chemistry; ten years of laboratory experience and counting). I love beauty products and I’m inspired by the synergy between art and science that occurs with them."

I think this may be worth a read:

"3 Reasons Why Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar Destroy Your Hair — And What to Use Instead

by Nicki Zevola.

Posted on June 20, 2012

What can you tell us about the no ‘poo trend (washing with baking soda in place of shampoo, and apple cider vinegar in place of conditioner)? Is it actually better for our hair? I works well for me- but I would like to learn if it has actual benefits before I make it my regular regime.
-Kendra

Dear Kendra,

Much like leather, poorly cared for hair can become dry and dull.
Hair can be thought of like a fine leather: With improper treatment, it can become stripped of its natural oils, resulting in a dried, limp, colorless remnant of what used to be.

Thankfully, like fine leather, hair can be maintained and restored. One common belief is that natural ingredients like baking soda and apple cider vinegar leaves hair softer, cleaner, and more healthy than traditional shampoo. However, keep the following in mind:

Problems with Using Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar to Wash Your Hair

Most shampoos are formulated with a neutral or slightly acidic pH. Baking soda in water alone is basic, despite what you may have heard to the contrary.
1. Baking soda is a known irritant that will cause your hair to dry out and break over time.

With a pH of 9 — 100 times more basic than water — baking soda is a known alkaline irritant (Journal of Cutaneous Pathology, 1989). According to renowned dermatologist Dr. Audrey Kunin, M.D., “The first principle of shampooing: make sure your shampoo says it is pH-balanced and avoid those that are alkaline. Alkaline shampoos strip the hair’s natural oils and disrupt the acid mantle, causing dehydration and leading to porous, fragile hair” (The DermaDoctor SkinStruction Manual, 2005).

Yes, it’s true that baking soda helps regulate pH — keeping a substance neither too acidic nor too alkaline. When baking soda comes in contact with either an acidic or an alkaline substance, its effect is to neutralize that pH. However, as any cosmetic chemist can tell you, this effect occurs when baking soda is in solution with other chemicals. When baking soda is in water alone, guess what the pH of the solution is? You guessed it: A very basic 9, much more alkaline than plain ol’ water.

2.) Apple Cider Vinegar Has Some Benefit — But Can Still Make Hair Brassy.

3 Reasons Why Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar Destroy Your Hair — And What to Use Instead

Apple cider vinegar is an antifungal that can make hair shinier, but its acidity can also make hair color change before going out in the sun (think lemon juice!)
Apple cider vinegar arguably has more going for it as a hair rinse than baking soda. While I can’t find conclusive evidence to prove that apple cider vinegar is great at fighting dandruff, it can fight certain fungal infections. Studies have shown that apple cider vinegar is effective in fighting Candida albicans and Aspergillus niger. (Thi-Qar Medical Journal, 2011)

Due to the slightly acidic pH of apple cider vinegar mixed with 2-3 parts water, some experts believe it can also extend the life of hair color when applied immediately after hair dye is rinsed off. Most hair dyes are alkaline, which opens up the hair cuticle. When hair color is applied, it can then penetrate to the hair’s inner cortex, where it can react with the hair’s pigment molecules to produce a color change. Acidic solutions applied after, like apple cider vinegar, may reseal the cuticle. This flattening may not only help hair color last longer, but also flatten the cuticle, making your hair easier to comb and a bit shinier.

Still, overdoing it with apple cider vinegar can cause more damage than it is worth. Anyone who has applied lemon juice to their hair can tell you that acidic solutions will cause your hair to become lighter, drier, and more brittle over time. Those “blessed” with black hair, like myself, can tell you that the acidity will also bring out the brassy tones in your color, leaving you with lovely orange hair Zoe the muppet would envy. If you still don’t believe me, keep in mind that many perming solutions have an acidic pH, breaking disulfide bonds within straight hair.

3. You’re depleting your hair of natural oils.

Putting a few drops of oil on your hair after shampooing helps, but you’re still not moisturizing your scalp. Better: use a shampoo with natural replenishing oils that is suitable for your hair type.
One terrible thing about using baking soda and apple cider vinegar alone on your hair is that these do not contain any oils that can be beneficial for your hair. The best shampoos replenish natural sheen to the hair which they have just stripped as a part of the cleaning process.

There are a number of moisturizing ingredients in shampoos that can replenish your hair’s natural oils; these include (but are not limited to):

Jojoba oil
Sweet almond oil
Squalene
Emu
Phospholipids
Argan oil
But by taking the “do-it-yourself” approach, you are taking away the ability for shampoos to gently replenish oils from root to tip. Instead, you’re drying out your scalp, and likely replenishing oils only on the ends of your hair. Not cool.

The Real Source of the Misunderstanding

Not all chemicals are bad. Really. I promise.
If I hear one more “expert” say that “chemicals” are ruining your skin, hair, or the environment, I’ll scream. Chemicals have prolonged many more lives than they have cut short, in the form of potent antibacterials, antifungals, antibiotics — you name it. Just 100 years ago, the average life expectancy was 51 for men and 56 for women (Berkeley.edu). The reason we’re living 25-30 years longer isn’t improved nutrition or more “natural” products — it’s medicine, pharmaceuticals, chemicals.

That said, I’m not going to defend the deplorable actions of some companies for the last few decades, either. By including known irritants like sulfates and phthalates into some of their products, the beauty and cosmetics industry has lost the trust of many of their more health-conscious consumers.

Which would you choose? Turns out white willow bark (left) and aspirin (right) work the same way in the body. Aspirin is just more concentrated.
But instead of turning to the solid research that lead to life-extending drugs and medicines for possible replacements, we instead believe somehow big pharma and major cosmetics companies are “bad.” For instance, we’ve turned to plant extracts. Ask any natural product advocate on the street about white willow bark and aspirin, and she’ll tell you white willow bark is “good” and aspirin is “bad.” Yet the active compound in white willow bark is exactly the same as in aspirin. Scientists can extract the active parts of many plants of white willow bark, isolate it, and shazam! — you have the same active ingredient as in aspirin.

My point in addressing this is one of caution: Do not trust products just because they are “natural.” It may fit in more with a natural, holistic lifestyle, but you can actually be putting yourself in more danger. Some people I know dreamed of becoming a cosmetic chemist from the time they were a child. They studied hard, went through years of schooling, some got PhDs, then got tons of formulation experience, and made fantastic shampoos — and you’re mixing baking soda and putting it on your scalp like your great-grandmother?! It doesn’t make sense. New technologies and their chemicals are not all bad. Some, in fact, are fantastic for your hair.

Bottom Line

Three take-home points:

Please never use baking soda on your hair. It is associated with breakage and damage.
You can use apple cider vinegar (1 tbsp/1 cup of water) occasionally, meaning twice/month or less. I do not recommend using it before going out in the sun or for those with dyed dark hair — the acidity can bring out brassiness.

Please try to consider the fact that “chemicals” are not always “bad” and “natural” is not always “good.” If you don’t believe me, consider the fact that we’re living 25-30 years longer now than 100 years ago due to medicine, drugs, and chemicals. Hope this helps!"

ETA: Product list was redacted to fall within the character limit.

Thank you for adding to my receipts. :yep:

intellectualuva

This is funny........lol.

So the issue is the people doing MHM don't know the long term effect of (and let's move past the first week frequency emphasis) 2 or 3 times a week using BS or ACV (not both)? And the assumption that people who do this want 3 hair?
Do people who do twistouts and braid outs also want 3 hair?

I'm confused why this method had been singled out, but not the hundreds of other shingling, wash and go "techniques" some of which include ACV or BS as the tool for the self hating 4cs.

Also... Doesn't the MHM include adding oils to the ACV/H2O spray? I know I did, but I always have. I'd never use BS in my hair, but there are several APL, WL, BSL women on this site that do.....are we reaching out to them as well with this PSA. Or is something else going on here?

koolkittychick

This is funny........lol.

So the issue is the people doing MHM don't know the long term effect of (and let's move past the first week frequency emphasis) 2 or 3 times a week using BS or ACV (not both)? And the assumption that people who do this want 3 hair?
Do people who do twistouts and braid outs also want 3 hair?

I'm confused why this method had been singled out, but not the hundreds of other shingling, wash and go "techniques" some of which include ACV or BS as the tool for the self hating 4cs.

Also... Doesn't the MHM include adding oils to the ACV/H2O spray? I know I did, but I always have. I'd never use BS in my hair, but there are several APL, WL, BSL women on this site that do.....are we reaching out to them as well with this PSA. Or is something else going on here?

I am only discussing MHM because of the potential serious harm that can be inflicted on unsuspecting women because the proponents are using buzzwords like "moisture" and "hydration" for what is essentially a chemical process used to achieve a certain look on 4c hair. I also have an issue with some of the other techniques you describe only because their proponents push them as "healthy hair practices," when in reality they are also to achieve a certain look, but most of them are not as harmful, and if they want to use them and have the time and money to do so, so be it.

Twistouts and braid outs can also be used to achieve a certain look, but still fall under the realm of healthy hair practices under certain parameters, as stretching type 4 hair usually reduces the amount of knots, tangles and breakage that can occur when manipulating that kind of hair. I keep my new growth stretched by wearing two French braids down the sides of my head, milkmaid style, and my hair is the better for it. :yep:

Like I said, if people who do MHM want to do it, fine, but don't delude yourself, and especially others, about what and why you are doing to your hair. MHM is not a long-term healthy hair regimen, by the very nature of the products you are using and at the frequency you use them. Unless you have bullet-proof hair like SistahWithRealHair (the things she does makes me cringe, but DAMN if her hair can't take it!), you will eventually suffer damage with that method unless you drastically modify it more along the lines of Akitafitgirl or Naptural85. :ohwell:

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
How can those who do not wash n go use this method? If you can only use this with wash n gos it's not going to work for me.:ohwell:

koolkittychick

How can those who do not wash n go use this method? If you can only use this with wash n gos it's not going to work for me.:ohwell:

Actually, from what I understand of the method, if you can put your hair into twists, you still can use the method. It's just that your hair will take MUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH longer to dry than if you shingled it and left it to air-dry.

faithVA

The air is style like a person would normally style their hair. I wear my hair in flat twist and two strand twists.

snoop

But but but ... if diluted baking soda, apple cider vinegar and clay masks were so damaging to the hair then how can you in the same breath praise Naturals with long healthy hair like Naptural85 for using the SAME ingredients? :look:

Have you ever heard of anyone's hair falling out because of using these ingredients? Serious question

I thought that Naptural85 used a 1:4 (water:AVC) solution as opposed to Pinke's 1:1???
http://www.longhaircareforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

koolkittychick

How did they modify it to make it safer?

Pretty much they did not use the MHM. Neither of them use baking soda, and they used clay washes and ACV rinses in moderation. Akitafitgirl actually uses the Curly Girl Method (which focuses on fairly frequent washing with moisturizing products like co-washes to bring moisture to the hair), and Naptural85 does something similar, but with home-made conditioners and gels she whips up in her kitchen. They both use clay washes for clarification, but not nearly as often as MHM requires.

CocoGlow

Naptural85 does not use bentonite clay as her primary source of cleansing (I believe that is still co-washing). She only uses ACV occasionally. She does not use baking soda in her regimen.

As I said, it is not the ingredients themselves per se (except for the baking soda), but the frequency with which they are used that are potentially problematic with MHM. All those substances are basically taking the place of a clarifying shampoo; that is why you have to add so much stuff after those steps to counteract the clarifying process those substances trigger in your hair. And diluting these substances (with water or otherwise) does not change the ph of them; if they did, they would not "work" in clumping curls or preparing the hair for the introduction of moisture.

All things in moderation, especially the strong stuff; that is the key that these ladies have figured out with their hair care. :yep:

I am only discussing MHM because of the potential serious harm that can be inflicted on unsuspecting women because the proponents are using buzzwords like "moisture" and "hydration" for what is essentially a chemical process used to achieve a certain look on 4c hair.

Like I said, if people who do MHM want to do it, fine, but don't delude yourself, and especially others, about what and why you are doing to your hair. MHM is not a long-term healthy hair regimen, by the very nature of the products you are using and at the frequency you use them. Unless you have bullet-proof hair like SistahWithRealHair (the things she does makes me cringe, but DAMN if her hair can't take it!), you will eventually suffer damage with that method unless you drastically modify it more along the lines of Akitafitgirl or Naptural85. :ohwell:

So Washing + Conditioning + Styling one's hair 1-2x a week is too frequent? Since when? Don't most Naturals do their hair this often? Also if one wanted to do the MHM every 2 weeks, that is up to them. They may reach Max Hydration at a slower pace but the regimen remains the same.

What are all these products you speak of that are used to "counteract" the clarifying processes? One can literally use ONE Conditioner, Baking Soda (or ACV), Clay and a Sealant (Botanical Gel or Water-Based Cream). How is this any more than what is used in any other regimen? In fact there are many former product junkies who jokingly complain that the MHM has curbed their PJ ways LOL!

**Ladies please note that the Baking Soda Rinse part of the MHM is diluted with both Water AND Conditioner and the amounts are adjustable so one should not experience breakage, damage or excessive dryness.

**Also note that NO ONE has reported hair loss or horror stories from doing the MHM. People have been using these same ingredients for years - nothing really new here.

Think about it, if the MHM was dangerous and caustic and comparable to a Relaxer, then Pinkecube and anyone else that is doing the MHM would have straight Type 1 texture by now or better yet, they would be BALD! :spinning: There is no need for all the fear mongering, seriously. :nono:

CocoGlow

Also please remember that people like Naptural85 and others who Co-wash often and do Clay washes less often DO NOT HAVE LOW POROSITY.

Someone with Low Porosity cannot just co-wash their hair over and over without FREQUENT gentle clarifying treatments because those co-washes will actually have the opposite affect on their hair and cause dryness from coating the strands.

So for those who keep touting Naptural85's regimen, great, enjoy! But for those that cannot jump on her bandwagon and get similar results, there is nothing wrong with doing things differently. If that means gently clarifying at EVERY wash cycle to make sure that the moisture from your conditioner is actually absorbed instead of just sitting on your hair and feeling greasy and dry, then so be it.

Last edited:

faithVA

:lol: This thread has been interesting and hopefully given people something to think about. I think people should do their own research no matter what regimen they choose. All regimens have risk and pros and cons. I'm not yet aware of a regimen that works for everyone which is why things start getting adapted.

I don't think this regimen is for the masses but I do know there are those of us that have tried the rest which didn't work for us and finally have some answers in MHM.

Do your research and learn your own hair.

koolkittychick

CocoGlow,

Obviously you cherry-picked my posts and glossed over my statements (especially the one about diluting baking soda with water, conditioner, or the tears of baby unicorns does not change its pH or caustic properties), and you did not click on the links I provided that tell you exactly what it is you are putting in your hair, since you are still calling them "gentle." I leave you to MHM; hopefully you have hair like SistahWithRealHair and it will perform for you with flying colors. For most of the other ladies on this thread, all I can say is be fully informed before you try, as with any treatment that involves strong chemicals. :ohwell:

Oh, and by the way, gentle heat (as in a heating cap or steamer) can open up your cuticles to receive moisture just as well (if not better) than applying acid or alkaline mixtures to your hair. Just thought you should know. :ohwell:

AJellyCake

Pretty much they did not use the MHM. Neither of them use baking soda, and they used clay washes and ACV rinses in moderation. Akitafitgirl actually uses the Curly Girl Method (which focuses on fairly frequent washing with moisturizing products like co-washes to bring moisture to the hair), and Naptural85 does something similar, but with home-made conditioners and gels she whips up in her kitchen. They both use clay washes for clarification, but not nearly as often as MHM requires.
As far as I know both Aketafitgirl and Naptural85 use diluted ACV to cleanse and a clay mix.

Aketafitgirl said she does it 2-3 times per week, which is consistent with MHM. MHM only requires daily cleansing for the first 7 days. So does the Terresentials detox regimen. Terresentials actually has you cleanse multiple times per day of the detox period.

Aketafitgirl does use diluted baking soda, once a month.

Aketafitgirl's regimen is MHM. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSAmMiXFS_o&list=UU2hK7kADTBL_G43M_iOLJdQ

ETA: In that video, Aketafitgirl says explicitly she does not co-wash. Ever. She always does the full regimen, including diluted ACV each time and sometimes baking soda.

Last edited:

aharri23

Actually Aketafitgirl uses baking soda :lol: so you're wrong about that. She mentioned in a video she uses baking soda and water whenever her hair gets really dirty.

What are you talking about? Aketafitgirl does the MHM. The whole method is based off her regimen. She does ACV, Co-wash, clay, leave in, gel 2-3 times a week. She uses a 1:1 ratio for ACV and uses Terressentials for her clay step.

Can you please stop posting wrong information? :lol:

aharri23

@CocoGlow,

Obviously you cherry-picked my posts and glossed over my statements (especially the one about diluting baking soda with water, conditioner, or the tears of baby unicorns does not change its pH or caustic properties), and you did not click on the links I provided that tell you exactly what it is you are putting in your hair, since you are still calling them "gentle." I leave you to MHM; hopefully you have hair like SistahWithRealHair and it will perform for you with flying colors. For most of the other ladies on this thread, all I can say is be fully informed before you try, as with any treatment that involves strong chemicals. :ohwell:

Oh, and by the way, gentle heat (as in a heating cap or steamer) can open up your cuticles to receive moisture just as well (if not better) than applying acid or alkaline mixtures to your hair. Just thought you should know. :ohwell:
Actually depending on how low-po your hair is, heat may not be enough to open the cuticle. For someone who has been transitioning for only 6 months, please stop stating your opinions as facts. Pinke has been natural for 7 years..so I can either listen to Pinke who has had natural hair for 7 years and has done extensive research on kinky hair, or listen to someone who's been transitioning for 6 months without any research, articles, etc. I think i'll choose pinke.

CocoGlow

:lol: This thread has been interesting and hopefully given people something to think about. I think people should do their own research no matter what regimen they choose. All regimens have risk and pros and cons. I'm not yet aware of a regimen that works for everyone which is why things start getting adapted.

I don't think this regimen is for the masses but I do know there are those of us that have tried the rest which didn't work for us and finally have some answers in MHM.

Do your research and learn your own hair.

I totally agree .. well said! At the end of day we all have to decide what works best for our hair. I wasn't going to reply to this thread initially but I felt like all of the inaccurate accusations were getting ridiculous and I know a LOT of lurkers may be curious but scared off from all of the misinformation. So I've done all I can and hopefully I've helped someone in the process :yep:

intellectualuva

Yeah. I was going to keep quiet too. The reaction to ACV or BS is crazy to me. The chasing 3 hair was definitely unnecessary. Lol So many women on this forum use those products, but because this has a catchy name I guess made it a super special target for naysayers.

People should do what's best for their hair. I'm not nor have I ever been a fan of BS, but even the "warning" posted ok'd the use of ACV even if sporadically....and I'm sure most of us can find those who have been using ACV for years in their reggie.

AJellyCake

Also, there are cons to using heat.

For me, using heat means:
Having to sit in one place for however long you're under the dryer
Having to bring around a blow dryer and heat cap (super annoying if you're travelling)
Can't watch TV because the blow dryer is so loud :look:
Sometimes my forehead or ears get red
Having to rotate the heat cap to better distribute the heat
Possible heat damage

For my low porosity hair, a regular cowash will not cut it. I have to use heat (or so I thought). But now, I have a simpler, cheaper way to make my hair more easily accept moisture. And I also don't have the little white balls throughout my hair from product sitting on top of my hair because it can't penetrate.

I appreciate the discussion, koolkittychick. It's good to be aware of possible downsides. I--and my wallet--have been very happy with MHM so far. I think I started in August.

koolkittychick

Actually Aketafitgirl uses baking soda :lol: so you're wrong about that. She mentioned in a video she uses baking soda and water whenever her hair gets really dirty.

What are you talking about? Aketafitgirl does the MHM. The whole method is based off her regimen. She does ACV, Co-wash, clay, leave in, gel 2-3 times a week. She uses a 1:1 ratio for ACV and uses Terressentials for her clay step.

Can you please stop posting wrong information? :lol:

aharri23, AJellyCake,
I just watched her Curly Girl Demo: http://youtu.be/aCEvHHQD_-g?list=UU2hK7kADTBL_G43M_iOLJdQ. There was no baking soda used.

She does not use clay; she uses an aloe-vera juice based cleanser with clay minerals added (see the ingredients list for Terresentials here).

In her update video (http://youtu.be/7gHiGm5UDW0?list=UU2hK7kADTBL_G43M_iOLJdQ, she is still using that method, which she calls the Curly Girl Method, not MHM.

Why are you referring to an old video?

Last edited:

koolkittychick

Actually depending on how low-po your hair is, heat may not be enough to open the cuticle. For someone who has been transitioning for only 6 months, please stop stating your opinions as facts. Pinke has been natural for 7 years..so I can either listen to Pinke who has had natural hair for 7 years and has done extensive research on kinky hair, or listen to someone who's been transitioning for 6 months without any research, articles, etc. I think i'll choose pinke.

aharri23,
Actually, I have been natural for most of my life; my first relaxer was at 18. I went natural again for 2 years at age 26, then natural again for 5 years at age 35. Counting the 3-6 month stretches I have done during the last 5 or so years I've been relaxed again, I have spent more time with my natural hair than not. I have also managed to grow my hair from APL to WL in 3 years. Not sure how long Pinkie's is after 7 years natural. Just saying. :ohwell:

Last edited:

koolkittychick

Also, there are cons to using heat.

For me, using heat means:
Having to sit in one place for however long you're under the dryer
Having to bring around a blow dryer and heat cap (super annoying if you're travelling)
Can't watch TV because the blow dryer is so loud :look:
Sometimes my forehead or ears get red
Having to rotate the heat cap to better distribute the heat
Possible heat damage

For my low porosity hair, a regular cowash will not cut it. I have to use heat (or so I thought). But now, I have a simpler, cheaper way to make my hair more easily accept moisture. And I also don't have the little white balls throughout my hair from product sitting on top of my hair because it can't penetrate.

I appreciate the discussion, koolkittychick. It's good to be aware of possible downsides. I--and my wallet--have been very happy with MHM so far. I think I started in August.
All very valid points indeed, AJellyCake. As was stated, we all have to weigh the pros and cons of what we want to do with our hair, and do what feels best for us. Thank you for appreciating my input; all I have been doing is trying to present as much information based on science and the facts so that people can make informed decisions and not chase some "magic miracle" for 4c hair.

AJellyCake

aharri23,
I just watched her Curly Girl Demo: http://youtu.be/aCEvHHQD_-g?list=UU2hK7kADTBL_G43M_iOLJdQ. There was no baking soda used.

She does not use clay; she uses an aloe-vera juice based cleanser with clay minerals added (see the ingredients list for Terresentials here).

In her update video (http://youtu.be/7gHiGm5UDW0?list=UU2hK7kADTBL_G43M_iOLJdQ, she is still using that method, which she calls the Curly Girl Method, not MHM.

Why are you referring to an old video?

On Terressentials' website, they describe the product as:
Our Hair Wash is a pure, totally natural, clay-based product blended with soothing organic herbals....

Aketafitgirl also said she uses Terressentials because she doesn't want to mix her own clay and because it's easier for her.

In the first link you posted, entitled "Curly Girl Demo" (from 2013), she says she uses ACV. In this update you posted from 2014, she says she still does her curly girl method. I think she calls her regimen "curly girl method" because it is consistent with the basic CG Method (no silicones and no sulfates). I didn't hear in her update video that her regimen changed; in fact, she said she kept it the same.

Only using ACV is consistent with the MHM. You can do MHM without ever using baking soda.
http://maxhydrationmethod.com/the-max-hydration-method-regimen/

Aketafitgirl is still, after doing this for well over a year, a type 4. Her curls are still smaller than a pencil. She is now MBL.

Thanks again for the reminder about being careful with mixing our own products, especially with baking soda. :)