Some people want me to do their hair, how much should I charge!

Mandy4610

I am not a professional by any means, but I have always done hair for the women in my family. At one point, when I was back in Africa, my family owned a Salon, so I picked up a few things. Now I am armed with LHCF info and people are asking me to do there hair.
I will charge because I am using my time and my products, except relaxers (I have no relaxers lying around so they will have to bring their own)

How much should I charge for:

1. Relaxing virgin hair
2. Touch ups
3. Deep conditioning and styling
4. Washing and styling
5 Protein treatments

Any other services done at a salon?
Since I came to North America, I have only been to a salon once, for a DC, trim and style and I paid $60.

I want to know the prices that cosmetologists charge and then I will slash those in half or more and thats what I will charge. I won't start a business, I will only do it for people that I know.

Thank you ladies

Mandy

Last edited:

ajacks

Well, these are the prices that my former stylist charged:

1. Relaxing virgin hair: 95 and up
2. Touch ups: 75 and up
3. Deep conditioning and styling: 65
4. Washing and styling: 50
5 Protein treatments: 30

But this was for a licensed cosmetologist. I don't know if I would pay these prices for someone that was not licensed. Hopefully someone else will know.

Mandy4610

But this was for a licensed cosmetologist. I don't know if I would pay these prices for someone that was not licensed. Hopefully someone else will know.
Thank you. yeah, because I am not licensed I definitely would not charge those prices, I want to know the prices that cosmetologists charge and then I will slash those in half or more and thats what I will charge. I won't start a business, I will only do it for people that I know.

Hot40

Since your are not licensed I would charge less than the salons
You know prices that would make the come back to you.

Example a Shampoo here is $45 I would charge $25 or $30

Mandy4610

Thanks, that's exactly what I plan to do. I want to cut salon prices in half.

Sistaslick

We had a family member who did this and she basically charged us whatever we could give. That might be $40 for a wash, relaxer, and set + style. She did not have "set" prices. She even accepted food and other favors. :lol:

She later went on to become a licensed cosmetologist, and some of the family still thought they could get by with that standard $30-40 (or a favor) for whatever service they wanted to get done. :lol:

Also it depends on your level of skill, if you have skills that a stylist might not have-- (like you are really good with braiding/weaves/natural hair care)- you might be able to charge a similar rate for that.

eta: It also should be a little less if you are using their products/ tools.

pear

I agree!

I would definitely charge less than what they could get going to someone who is licensed. I still go to a licensed stylist for certain services and here are my suggestions based on what she charges:

1. Relaxing virgin hair (not sure)
2. Touch ups ($45/my stylist charges $55) + extra $5-$10.00 for a trim (my stylist charges $10 for a trim)
3. Deep conditioning and styling ($30-$35 or an extra $5-$10 dollars added to the price you will charge for the wash and style)
4. Washing and styling ($25/my stylist charges $35)
5 Protein treatments (maybe an extra $5-$10 based on the protein product you are using?)

*my stylist is in the Washington DC metro area but her prices are a little lower than other stylist in my area because she works out of her home and I am a long time customer of hers. Maybe you can visit a few salons in your area and ask for a price list so that you can make sure that your prices are competitive but not overpriced?

SimpleKomplexity

I think it depends on where you live also. I live in Mississippi where the prices are much cheaper. When I was at the shop I was paying:

1. Relaxing virgin hair: 50
2. Touch ups: 45
3. Deep conditioning and styling: 30
4. Washing and styling: 30
5. Protein treatments: +10

pink gator

As a "former" licensed person (I only was a manicurist/nail tech a LOOONG time ago) who worked before going to beauty school, I too agree with the others that you discount the going rates.

Number one, you should see what the stylists charge in your area. I can tell you to charge half of a relaxer ($75/2=$38), but that's what people charge in my city.

I also suggest that you check the online classifieds in your area, like Craig's List. There are a lot of unlicensed stylists who advertise their price lists there.

Also, I must stress to you to be careful. Be prudent and cautious with whose hair you do, especially with chemicals and cutting. God forbid that you may slip up and/or end up with an unhappy client who could possibly report you to your state/professional standards board or worst yet, get sued. Even professional stylists get ripped--I've read some awful posts here--so just be careful.

Other than that, I'm all about spreading the knowledge and for my sistahs on the come-up getting theirs!

Good luck!

Mandy4610

As a "former" licensed person (I only was a manicurist/nail tech a LOOONG time ago) who worked before going to beauty school, I too agree with the others that you discount the going rates.

Number one, you should see what the stylists charge in your area. I can tell you to charge half of a relaxer ($75/2=$38), but that's what people charge in my city.

I also suggest that you check the online classifieds in your area, like Craig's List. There are a lot of unlicensed stylists who advertise their price lists there.

Also, I must stress to you to be careful. Be prudent and cautious with whose hair you do, especially with chemicals and cutting. God forbid that you may slip up and/or end up with an unhappy client who could possibly report you to your state/professional standards board or worst yet, get sued. Even professional stylists get ripped--I've read some awful posts here--so just be careful.

Other than that, I'm all about spreading the knowledge and for my sistahs on the come-up getting theirs!

Good luck!
Thank you. I definitely will be careful. I only will do family and friends. I too have heard the horror stories and that's why I will only stick to the people I know and only do the things I know.

LongCurlyLocks

OMG!!! Those prices are crazy!!! Thank God I don't have to go there! I only paid 45 or so to get my virgin hair relaxed. Where do you live? If they charge those prices, I am NOT coming for a visit and if I do, I'm going to make sure I can wear my hair wash and go!! LOL!!!

But some the other prices posted here sound more reasonable and about right.

ajacks

OMG!!! Those prices are crazy!!! Thank God I don't have to go there! I only paid 45 or so to get my virgin hair relaxed. Where do you live? If they charge those prices, I am NOT coming for a visit and if I do, I'm going to make sure I can wear my hair wash and go!! LOL!!!

But some the other prices posted here sound more reasonable and about right.

LOL... This was in MD, like 20 minutes from DC. Most of the stylists in this area are that expensive. I can't remember the last time I left a salon and paid less than $60.

HeChangedMyName

We had a family member who did this and she basically charged us whatever we could give. That might be $40 for a wash, relaxer, and set + style. She did not have "set" prices. She even accepted food and other favors. :lol:

She later went on to become a licensed cosmetologist, and some of the family still thought they could get by with that standard $30-40 (or a favor) for whatever service they wanted to get done. :lol:

Also it depends on your level of skill, if you have skills that a stylist might not have-- (like you are really good with braiding/weaves/natural hair care)- you might be able to charge a similar rate for that.

eta: It also should be a little less if you are using their products/ tools.

ditto.

a friend of mine use to charge basically a flat fee of $25.00. The only time she charged more was if she did braids or weave and then it was $40.00(100 for micro braids)

HeChangedMyName

:blush: even for relaxing?:look:

Yes, even for relaxing, only because she was quick with it and was friends with us all so it was like she was just there to pick up some extra cash for a favor that she did. - - - -Plus, we were all play family---where else can you go to someone's house to do their hair and while you are there, eat their food, use their phone and stuff lol. She wasn't trying to get rich, we were just helping one another out.

Mandy4610

Yes, even for relaxing, only because she was quick with it and was friends with us all so it was like she was just there to pick up some extra cash for a favor that she did. - - - -Plus, we were all play family---where else can you go to someone's house to do their hair and while you are there, eat their food, use their phone and stuff lol. She wasn't trying to get rich, we were just helping one another out.
Sounds good. I am not trying to get rich either. I love doing hair, but I just need a little cash to buy the products.

Maynard

I would charge maybe, half or a lil bit less that the going rate in your city.

Folks aint gonna be too enthused about paying $95 for a relaxer and get it rinsed out in someone's kitchen sink. Well, let me speak for myself.

RedVelvet310

(These are prices from a high end salon that specializes in textured hair.. these are the prices if the client decides to go with a student)

1. Relaxing virgin hair $75.00 and up
2. Touch ups $55 and up
3. a)Deep conditioning $15
b)Styling $18
4. Washing and styling $25
5 Protein treatments $20

pink gator

(These are prices from a high end salon that specializes in textured hair.. these are the prices if the client decides to go with a student)

1. Relaxing virgin hair $75.00 and up
2. Touch ups $55 and up
3. a)Deep conditioning $15
b)Styling $18
4. Washing and styling $25
5 Protein treatments $20

For "high-end," that's pretty inexpensive and reasonable! Wow!

Mandy4610

I would charge maybe, half or a lil bit less that the going rate in your city.

Folks aint gonna be too enthused about paying $95 for a relaxer and get it rinsed out in someone's kitchen sink. Well, let me speak for myself.
And this is another reason I will only do it for people that I people, who understand that I am not a professional and therefore I do not have all the equipment that salons have.