Any thoughts on Maximum Hydration Method

reeko43

Well your hair looks nice even before MHM.

That is an interesting recipe. My mind doesn't know what to do with it :lol: I can't imagine 3 tbsp of water with 1/2 cup of bentonite. There are so many different variations :yep: Thanks for sharing that.

Thanks, but you are only seeing the front, lol!

Actually the acv provides enough moisture in addition to the water. My mix had the consistency of a loose pudding. I was pleasantly surprised at the results and ease of use. But you are right, tons of clay recipes to try until you find one that works

faithVA

[USER said:
reeko43;20716385[/USER]]Thanks, but you are only seeing the front, lol!

Actually the acv provides enough moisture in addition to the water. My mix had the consistency of a loose pudding. I was pleasantly surprised at the results and ease of use. But you are right, tons of clay recipes to try until you find one that works

Do you happen to know the PH of the clay mix when you are finished?

faithVA

[USER said:
reeko43;20716431[/USER]]Im sorry but I don't know. I don't even have, strips to check. However, you have peeked my interst now. ....

It's OK. I was just curious.

My hunch is that the ph is quite low due to the amount of ACV and the low water quantity. This is just FYI for low porosity heads. This may be great for someone with high porosity.

This may be something tashboog would be willing to try.

faithVA

So, I tried out MHM earlier this week. What I discovered was that while my hair does want and need moisture, it does not like getting all of that extra moisture by itself without protein first. I've done the Cherry Lola treatment a few times in about a month and a half time period. My hair absolutely loves Cherry Lola. I usually do a quick condition right after a Cherry Lola treatment. I've been alternating weeks between Cherry Lola and clay washing, and my hair has thrived with that regime. Since I had already done the CL, I figured that I'd jump straight into MHM with the baking soda/conditioner/water cleanse...My hair hates the combination of conditioner and baking soda. It absolutely hates it. I'm pretty sure the issue is the fact that for my hair the baking soda opens up the cuticle and lets in too much moisture all at once, and it makes my hair mushy. With the CL treatment, the baking soda is letting in some moisture but also a lot of protein, which seems to stabilize my strands. My roots were fuzzier after doing the MHM treatment than they've been since before I started doing the CL treatment.

I have 3c/4a-ish hair. I think that I'm sort of medium porosity. I haven't done any porosity test, but by the way my hair behaves, it seems that it's neither high nor low porosity. Baking soda in and of itself doesn't seem to be a problem for my hair. However, what I let pass through the cuticle once the baking soda lifts it makes all the difference in the world, apparently. My hair has spoken loud and clear. It wants protein. The clay washing keeps my hair from getting stripped of moisture in between protein treatments, but it's really the protein that it craves.

So for the time being, I'm backing away from MHM. My hair was doing just fine with my alternating between the CL treatment and clay washing. I'm going to continue doing that for a while. I think my hair should probably come to its own level of maximum hydration over time if I'm consistent with that. If I do decide to try MHM again, I'll probably opt for the ACV/water cleanse instead of the baking soda/conditioner cleanse. However, I'm starting to think that my hair just doesn't benefit as much from MHM in its entirety as it does from specific components within that method, which is fine. Everyone has to find what works for her own hair. I'm glad that I tried it out at least, because curiosity was getting the better of me. Also, I think I know a little more about my hair post MHM experimenting than and did prior to trying it.

I'm glad you learned some things. And yes you should have done ACV because the baking soda is for low porosity hair. For some reason that seems to be a point of confusion. Definitely do what works for you.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I'm doing the shorter MHM tonite!! I will be using the 2 min aphogee keratin protein, ACV for about 5 min. Then DC for about 15-30min and then clay for 15.

I plan on blow drying and possibly straightening my hair tonight in preperation for my faux locs on Sat.

Has anyone done this method and then straighten their hair? If so, how was it? Did you notice a difference? I'm not too sure what I looking for in a response; to be honest:lol:

snoop

I'm doing the shorter MHM tonite!! I will be using the 2 min aphogee keratin protein, ACV for about 5 min. Then DC for about 15-30min and then clay for 15.

I plan on blow drying and possibly straightening my hair tonight in preperation for my faux locs on Sat.

Has anyone done this method and then straighten their hair? If so, how was it? Did you notice a difference? I'm not too sure what I looking for in a response; to be honest:lol:

I've been wondering the same thing!

Honey Bee

I'm planning to straighten tomorrow. I expect for the MHM to have, at minimum, the same effect on the straightening process as the whole 'dc overnight first' method.

fasika

I've been wondering too.

I assume the benefits will be faster and easier straightening, plus complete reversion with no heat damage.

CocoGlow

So, I tried out MHM earlier this week. What I discovered was that while my hair does want and need moisture, it does not like getting all of that extra moisture by itself without protein first. I've done the Cherry Lola treatment a few times in about a month and a half time period. My hair absolutely loves Cherry Lola. I usually do a quick condition right after a Cherry Lola treatment. I've been alternating weeks between Cherry Lola and clay washing, and my hair has thrived with that regime. Since I had already done the CL, I figured that I'd jump straight into MHM with the baking soda/conditioner/water cleanse...My hair hates the combination of conditioner and baking soda. It absolutely hates it. I'm pretty sure the issue is the fact that for my hair the baking soda opens up the cuticle and lets in too much moisture all at once, and it makes my hair mushy. With the CL treatment, the baking soda is letting in some moisture but also a lot of protein, which seems to stabilize my strands. My roots were fuzzier after doing the MHM treatment than they've been since before I started doing the CL treatment.

I have 3c/4a-ish hair. I think that I'm sort of medium porosity. I haven't done any porosity test, but by the way my hair behaves, it seems that it's neither high nor low porosity. Baking soda in and of itself doesn't seem to be a problem for my hair. However, what I let pass through the cuticle once the baking soda lifts it makes all the difference in the world, apparently. My hair has spoken loud and clear. It wants protein. The clay washing keeps my hair from getting stripped of moisture in between protein treatments, but it's really the protein that it craves.

So for the time being, I'm backing away from MHM. My hair was doing just fine with my alternating between the CL treatment and clay washing. I'm going to continue doing that for a while. I think my hair should probably come to its own level of maximum hydration over time if I'm consistent with that. If I do decide to try MHM again, I'll probably opt for the ACV/water cleanse instead of the baking soda/conditioner cleanse. However, I'm starting to think that my hair just doesn't benefit as much from MHM in its entirety as it does from specific components within that method, which is fine. Everyone has to find what works for her own hair. I'm glad that I tried it out at least, because curiosity was getting the better of me. Also, I think I know a little more about my hair post MHM experimenting than and did prior to trying it.

I'm glad you learned some things. And yes you should have done ACV because the baking soda is for low porosity hair. For some reason that seems to be a point of confusion. Definitely do what works for you.

Mingus

I agree with faithVA

I think your hair would probably really like the ACV Rinse option since you said your hair likes protein. ACV closes the cuticle and so does protein. Most people with Low Porosity hair stay away from protein because it makes our hair feel hard. Even the Cherry Lola Treatment (a Mild Protein Treatment) can be too much for us if done too often. Since your hair seems to love the CLT, I would think your hair would prefer the ACV option if you ever decide to try the MHM again. Either way, I'm glad that you found what works best for your hair. :yep:

snoop

I think your hair would probably really like the ACV Rinse option since you said your hair likes protein. ACV closes the cuticle and so does protein. Most people with Low Porosity hair stay away from protein because it makes our hair feel hard. Even the Cherry Lola Treatment (a Mild Protein Treatment) can be too much for us if done too often. Since your hair seems to love the CLT, I would think your hair would prefer the ACV option if you ever decide to try the MHM again. Either way, I'm glad that you found what works best for your hair. :yep:

Well, I learned something new today....

ETA, I mean about protein closing the cuticle.

GettingKinky

So I've started reading this thread (man it's LONG) and I read the MHM website and I'm intrigued. I already do this method somewhat. Here are my steps.

-- prepoo with oil + conditioner
-- wash with BS and water
-- use rinse out conditioner
-- rinse with dilute ACV
-- LOC

My hair is pretty moisturized except the edges around my face, but my hair frizzes even with tons of product and my curls lose definition as soon as my hair dries.

I want to try this method, but I have reservations

-- I'm not sure if I have low po hair

-- I have a huge stash of Kenra MC and Aphogee 2 min and it will take me at least a year to use it up.

-- I don't want to sit with product on my hair for 15-30 min and have to jump in and out of the shower. My current wash day takes < 30 minutes from the time I get in the shower until it's in a bun and ready to leave the house.

-- I'm not a fan of the "wet look". Does this result in the wet look?

Ok. I'm off to continue reading this thread.

Last edited:

fasika

I've attached some pics of my before. The 1st two pics are just airdried with barely a hint of conditioner left in them - it's a texture shot. Hair is dry as hell!!

The 3rd picture is when I achieved max hydration for 23 secs a year ago :lachen:. I had used Lush's Curly Wurly shampoo, but this is the only time that level of hydration and definition was achieved. There was maybe some conditioner in the hair, but it looked identical even before it was conditioned. Hair is fully dry, but the lighting was off since it was at night and taken with my phone.

So my goal is to achieve 3rd picture consistently.

My usual WNG is somewhere in between the two.

Just as an aside, what do you think my texture is? I assume 4a, with patches of 3c and 4b. The back of my head is way curlier than the front, but I'm assuming it just retains moisture better??

Attachments

• airdied.jpg
    airdied.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 53
  • airdried.jpg
    airdried.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 55
  • Lush curls.jpg
    Lush curls.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 64

faithVA

[USER=373223 said:
snoop[/USER];20719837]Well, I learned something new today....

I think there is more to it than stated. I also think it depends on the protein. Some proteins lay on the strands and act like build up on low porosity hair. Other proteins like keratin may actually go into the strand and fill the holes in the protein layer of the strand.

Proteins gets lumped together unfortunately and get written off all together when sometimes our hair may have issue with one type of protein but really need another type.

faithVA

[USER=377491 said:
GettingKinky[/USER];20720003]So I've started reading this thread (man it's LONG) and I read the MHM website and I'm intrigued. I already do this method somewhat. Here are my steps.

-- prepoo with oil + conditioner
-- wash with BS and water
-- use rinse out conditioner
-- rinse with dilute ACV
-- LOC

My hair is pretty moisturized except the edges around my face, but my hair frizzes even with tons of product and my curls lose definition as soon as my hair dries.

I want to try this method, but I have reservations

-- I'm not sure if I have low po hair

-- I have a huge stash of Kenra MC and Aphogee 2 min and it will take me at least a year to use it up.

-- I don't want to sit with product on my hair for 15-30 min and have to jump in and out of the shower. My current wash day takes < 30 minutes from the time I get in the shower until it's in a bun and ready to leave the house.

-- I'm not a fan of the "wet look". Does this result in the wet look?

Ok. I'm off to continue reading this thread.

As a drive by test why not leave your current regimen as is and just try replacing your ACV rinse with a mudwash rinse and see if you notice a difference. Even if you don't want to commit to the total times, try leaving the mud on while you shower and rinse. It will let you know whether the frizz will dissipate.

And if you aren't looking for definition and your hair is already moisturized and your going to put your hair in a bun, then try it once and put it on the shelf for use if you ever need it.

CocoGlow

Well, I learned something new today....

snoop, It doesn't, well, not exactly. It fills in pieces of the cuticle that have chipped off.

snoop

Honey Bee is right, protein fills in pieces of the cuticle that have chipped off. Often times lightening the hair with permanent dye, relaxing, blow drying, flat ironing or just normal wear and tear (brushing, combing, etc) can wear down on the cuticle causing protein loss and High Porosity. The hair ends up mushy when wet or super stretchy in need of protein treatments to strengthen it and SEAL the cuticle temporarily. Some people may naturally have High Porosity and need frequent Protein treatments as well.

With Low Porosity hair, the cuticles are tightly shut and don't need frequent or strong protein treatments unless the person does some of the things above and changes their porosity as a result. They have to focus on infusing moisture into those tightly closed cuticles and mild protein (if any, depending on how tightly their cuticles are shut).

ETA:
faithVA is also right about the TYPE of protein making a difference :yep:

Last edited:

GettingKinky

As a drive by test why not leave your current regimen as is and just try replacing your ACV rinse with a mudwash rinse and see if you notice a difference. Even if you don't want to commit to the total times, try leaving the mud on while you shower and rinse. It will let you know whether the frizz will dissipate. And if you aren't looking for definition and your hair is already moisturized and your going to put your hair in a bun, then try it once and put it on the shelf for use if you ever need it.

faithVA-

That's a good idea. I think I'll look online for some clay. How long will a clay mixture keep once I make it? I keep my ACV/water and BS/water for weeks before I use it all.

What exactly does the clay step do? I'm still not clear on that.

faithVA

[USER=377491 said:
GettingKinky[/USER];20720619]faithVA-

That's a good idea. I think I'll look online for some clay. How long will a clay mixture keep once I make it? I keep my ACV/water and BS/water for weeks before I use it all.

What exactly does the clay step do? I'm still not clear on that.

Do you have a vitamin shop near you? Pick up a small think of bentonite clay if they have it. Or Butters and Bars sells clay at a reasonable price but you have to pay shipping.

You can freeze a clay mixture. If you refrigerate it may last a few weeks. It last a few days outside of the fridge but it can get a funky smell to it after 3 days. I don't think it goes bad, it just smells funky :look: But you probably only want to make a batch of 3 to 5 tbsp for your first batch. No need to make a lot.

The clay step cleans, removes build up and toxins and minerals, conditions and somehow hydrates the hair. It is the step that helps reduce the frizz and lock in the curls (over time). That's why I said if you don't care about definition, then don't bother with this step.

I first used clay as a cleanser. It is one of the things that helped my scalp recover by removing toxins.

GettingKinky

Thanks faithVA. I am going to try the clay. If I can get better definition I'm all for it.

Having really clean hair will be new for me. Since I slather my hair with oil/conditioner before my baking soda wash, I don't think I ever get all the oil off. Except when I go to the salon then it gets squarely clean, but that always feels dry until she flat irons it.

faithVA

[USER=377491 said:
GettingKinky[/USER];20720809]Thanks faithVA. I am going to try the clay. If I can get better definition I'm all for it.

Having really clean hair will be new for me. Since I slather my hair with oil/conditioner before my baking soda wash, I don't think I ever get all the oil off. Except when I go to the salon then it gets squarely clean, but that always feels dry until she flat irons it.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any questions before you get started with the mudwash let us know :yep:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I flat ironed my hair yesterday. I add deets in a minute.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20141031_071218.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141031_071218.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20141031_071229.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141031_071229.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 71
  • ForumRunner_20141031_071304.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141031_071304.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 61
  • ForumRunner_20141031_071313.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141031_071313.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 57
  • ForumRunner_20141031_071325.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141031_071325.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 64
  • ForumRunner_20141031_071340.jpg
    ForumRunner_20141031_071340.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 60

Guinan

Re-Branding
So I did the shorter MHM last night which included the protein. I have finally figured out my porosity. I have med to low porosity. Prior to starting the method I had rinsed my hair. The water felt like it just coated my hair. After I did the protein my hair felt alittle rough. I DC for about an hour and left the clay on for about 15 mins. After that my hair was sooooo soft.

Years ago when I used to blow dry my hair, it would become dry and matted. Well not this time. My hair stayed damp the whole time I was blow drying my hair.

The only problem I have is that I applied wayyyy to much giovanni leavein and wayyyy to much heat protectant. I am afraid of heat damage so I applied two heat protectants on wet hair. I think next time I flat iron I will nix the leavein and apply one heat protectant. My hair can get coated fairly easy. I blowed dried my hair and then flat-ironed it. My hair looks very soft and feels somewhat soft but it feels coated b/c of all the products I used.

BTW: I was alittle nervous about straightening my hair b/c of all the horror stories that I been reading on the other thread about damaged hair from doing the MHM. But I can honestly say my hair looks and feels really healthy. Minimum ssks and tons of moisture.

Also, I really tried to "listen" to my hair and do some research. I have med-low porosity, 4a/3c hair, fine and high density.

Last edited:

faithVA

So I did the shorter MHM last night which included the protein. I have finally figured out my porosity. I have med to low porosity. Prior to starting the method I had rinsed my hair. The water felt like it just coated my hair. After I did the protein my hair felt alittle rough. I DC for about an hour and left the clay on for about 15 mins. After that my hair was sooooo soft.

Years ago when I used to blow dry my hair, it would become dry and matted. Well not this time. My hair stayed damp the whole time I was blow drying my hair.

The only problem I have is that I applied wayyyy to much giovanni leavein and wayyyy to much heat protectant. I am afraid of heat damage so I applied two heat protectants on wet hair. I think next time I flat iron I will nix the leavein and apply one heat protectant. My hair can get coated fairly easy. I blowed dried my hair and then flat-ironed it. My hair looks very soft and feels somewhat soft but it feels coated b/c of all the products I used.

BTW: I was alittle nervous about straightening my hair b/c of all the horror stories that I been reading on the other thread about damaged hair. But I can honestly say my hair looks and feels really healthy. Min ssks and tons of moisture.

Also, I really tried to "listen" to my hair and do some research. I have med-low porosity, 3c-4a hair, fine and high density.

It looks very nice. Great job.

MaraWithLove

Hi guys, subscribed again to LHCF less than a month ago and have been keeping up with this thread. I finally have all my ingredients so I will be starting the 7 day challenge today. I look forward to contributing! :yep:

faithVA

Hi guys, subscribed again to LHCF less than a month ago and have been keeping up with this thread. I finally have all my ingredients so I will be starting the 7 day challenge today. I look forward to contributing! :yep:

Hi MaraWithLove. I do remember you. It has been a while. Glad to have you back.

Tell us about your plans for your first wash? Are you doing the Cherry Lola Carmel treatment?

Are you low po and planning on using baking soda or normal to high and using ACV?

AJellyCake

Does anyone do the caramel cherry lola (I think that's the standard MHM one, right?) more frequently than every other week? My hair always feels so goooood after doing it. I would like to do it more. :look: