2014 Twist/Braid/Bun for Growth Challenge

toaster

I orded some SSI products on BF and fell in love with them, so I just ordered a bunch more. Hoping this can be my staple line, although Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Cream Smoothing Cream is my staple leave in. No matter what else I use I always come back to it.

gvin89

Man, I'm in the house! I don't remember ever seeing/feeling single digits in the Carolinas!!!! This is for the birds....my twists are still in tact - moisturizing and sealing today.

Tibbar

I orded some SSI products on BF and fell in love with them, so I just ordered a bunch more. Hoping this can be my staple line, although Darcy's Botanicals Sweet Cocoa Cream Smoothing Cream is my staple leave in. No matter what else I use I always come back to it.

toaster
What do you have / love from SSI? I have not tried that line yet, I'm curious about what's good over there...

Have you been able to get a flight home yet?

toaster

Tibbar
I've used and LOVED the Riche Moisture Mask DC and the Seyani Hair Butter. Love love love. I also ordered their Avocado Conditioner and Okra Reconstructor. I think I can make SSI my staple product line. I'm ready to stop experimenting and just get in a groove.

I'm headed to the airport in about an hour. So far my flight has not been delayed or cancelled, but we'll see.

toaster

Made it home!! Going to unpack, run some quick errands, and go on my daily run. Afterwards I will coat my hair in vatika frosting for a 24 hour prepoo. Can't wait to steam and use my curlformers tomorrow! Hoping for smooth, sleek, and pretty buns in the new year.

quirkydimples

I'm in it you'll take someone who quit the wig challenge eight days in. (Iong, uninteresting story)

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?

Bun using spin pins after moisturizing and sealing.

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

A. Shampoo and deep condition weekly

B. Protein (Nexxus Polymedic Emergency Reconstructor) once a month

C. Co-wash as needed after morning workouts before work

D. GHE nightly under plastic cap and bonnet

E. Relax every 8-10 weeks

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

Relaxed

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

APL

5. When and how will you restyle your hair?

I shed a lot, so I have to comb my hair daily or it leads to tangles and knots with my fine strands. In the evening I will m/s and braid my hair into two pig tails before adding my cap and bonnet. I'll use the items in the attached photo.

In the morning, after my workout, I'll co-wash if needed and detangle with conditioner in the shower. I'll wrap my hair using a turbie wrap while I get dressed and put on makeup. Then, I'll use a moisturizer on my hair, light oil all over and mouse for hold before inserting my spin pins.

That's been my routine since Monday and it's worked well for me so far.

Attachments

• image-1891479085.jpg
    image-1891479085.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 46
  • image-1795229528.jpg
    image-1795229528.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 53
  • image-667219836.jpg
    image-667219836.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 49

toaster

:bighug: quirkydimples!!

Glad to have you! You're the first relaxed challenger and I'm glad because I think bunning/twisting/braiding works well for all types of hair!

quirkydimples

toaster

Thanks! I've always bunned as my primary style whether I was natural (after growing out my bald fade for the 50-leventh time over the years) or relaxed. I wasn't successful, though until I discovered spin pins. Donut buns murdered my ends regardless of whether I was natural or relaxed.

FoxxyLocs

I added neem oil to my shampoo with my last wash. It's been a week and my scalp is completely clear, where before it would be itchy and starting to flake by now. The oil itself smells pretty bad, but once I mix it with the shampoo and then condition, you can't smell it at all.

toaster

Fail! After 4 hours my hair wasn't dry. Probably used too much product. Tried to take a nap in them earlier and I couldn't, so sleeping in them was not an option. My roots got super straight and I loved the curl width. Will order a dryer in the next day or two and try again. Can't wait!

toaster

Hey ladies! Any fun weekend plans??

I just ordered my Pibbs dryer!!! Will use my borrowed bonnet dryer until it arrives. Luscious curls and buns will have to happen ALL year or else this investment will not be worth it.

FoxxyLocs

No weekend plans for me. Just my same old bun until wash day next week. I need to seal my ends, but that's about it.

toaster

Even though my curlformer set was a total fail, my hair was still more stretched than it is when I wet bun. This resulted in a super easy detangling cowash session today. I'm sitting under my HotHead with Tresemme naturals and my oil mix on top. Will rinse and re-set in a few minutes.

toaster

Froreal3 I had to get out!! I want to do another 20-30 minutes on high but I put this sulfur pomade on my scalp while I was setting and the heat makes my scalp feel like it's on fire!!

Ugh.

toaster

Where is your face? Trying to understand the layout of the pic :lol:

Unfortunately, that is my face. For the first half of that drying experience I had the hose in the back, so I moved it to the front for the second half.

Pictures!

Attachments

• image-738999082.jpg
    image-738999082.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 96
  • image-3146904896.jpg
    image-3146904896.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image-884553084.jpg
    image-884553084.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2440190514.jpg
    image-2440190514.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 81

gvin89

Still in my twists from last week. They are beginning to unravel....although I like the length, I like the look better when I twist on damp or air dried hair better.

toaster

gvin89 did you twist on stretched dry hair? I can see how that would lead to unraveling. What kind of product do you use on your ends?

toaster

Also, is anyone able to moisturize and seal on dry hair? I always feel like my hair is just getting coated in product and not actually moisturized. I'm determined to set my hair twice a week, so I have to figure out what to do with this dry hair for the other 5 days. Hmm.

gvin89

gvin89 did you twist on stretched dry hair? I can see how that would lead to unraveling. What kind of product do you use on your ends?

Yes, I blew it dry to see the length. I used qb twisting butter, but I think I may have rushed twisting. It's not as taunt, if you know what I mean.

Also, is anyone able to moisturize and seal on dry hair? I always feel like my hair is just getting coated in product and not actually moisturized. I'm determined to set my hair twice a week, so I have to figure out what to do with this dry hair for the other 5 days. Hmm.
I have to spritz my hair before moisturizing to get the best result.

Tibbar

toaster, your set looks like it came out really nice. Were you happy with it?
Also, what kind of sulfur pomade did you use on your scalp?

toaster

Tibbar

I loved my curls until they totally frizzed out on me. I don't know if I over diluted the setting lotion, or what. I'll figure it out. I've smoothed it back into a nice side bun, so I'm happy. Will probably try again on Tuesday.

I use the pomade shop sulfur pomade in vanilla scent. I love it. You can't smell the sulfur and it makes my scalp tingle. She has excellent customer service too.