Random Hair Thoughts/Thinking out loud

GGsKin

@AbsyBlvd your picture is stunning and stunting!!!!
Woooo, gorgeous avi hair, @AbsyBlvd! Beautiful. :smile:

@Sharpened, I think you should tell CurlyProverbz because the mistake hurts her credibility. People already have their issues with lay people and DIYers and so forth. Her "brand" will be strengthened without the mistake. I'm sure she will be glad to have the opportunity to hear it from a supporter and correct it before it makes her look unlearned or like she doesn't research adequately to know her stuff.

Thank you Ladies:grouphug: @IDareT'sHair @Saludable84 and @YvetteWithJoy. You all make me feel extra good.

AgeinATL

I use a drain strainer in the shower but it still gets clogged up with hair. And cleaning hair out of the drain is soooo gross.

Didn't you recently BC?

Chile, this is a #naturalhairproblem for real. What catcher do you have? You may have to try a new one. I have the OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Shower Stall Drain Protector in my bathroom and thr tub shroom in the other. Both work well. Even WITH the catcher, I have to pull out the drano on occasion but not nearly as much as I used to.

von rose

Just finished making my beast mode hair oil and a scalp spritz to help my shedding. Hoping to do 2 days scalp spritz, then oil day, then co wash and repeat till wash day.

ClassyJSP

Need to make an appointment to get my hair braided it's getting too hot for wigs as a protective style right now. Hopefully I can get in tomorrow after work so I can prep my hair tonight.

guyaneseyankee

Curly Proverbz keeps saying lauric acid is only found in coconut oil and breastmilk. That is incorrect. It was first identified in laurel oil (hence the name) and found in palm kernel oil, babassu oil plus a few others. Now, if she said coconut oil has a large percentage of lauric acid (48%), she would be correct (palm kernel oil has a touch more).

Do I bother to correct her? I want people to know there are other options besides coconut oil.

Is it found in Red Palm oil as well? Asking because I think my hair is really responding well to the two pre-poo's I've done thus far

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Is it found in Red Palm oil as well? Asking because I think my hair is really responding well to the two pre-poo's I've done thus far
No, because it is extracted from the palm fruit (the orange flesh that surrounds the palm seed), not the seed kernel, but it has other good properties as well (beta-carotene gives it its color). If it works for you, keep using it.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
I use a drain strainer in the shower but it still gets clogged up with hair. And cleaning hair out of the drain is soooo gross.
Try these. I use them.
Rubber Drain Hair Stopper Star Design Home Living Floor Bath Catcher Sink Strainer Sewer Filter Shower Cover(Random Color ) Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XR6YFF5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_O1VuzbQPHGG4C

YvetteWithJoy

On break
@YvetteWithJoy Where did you purchase those rollers? I want to say I've seen them in the BSS and just never paid any attention. I wonder if I could do that on wet hair :scratchchin:

One pack of 12 was $3.99 at this huge, I'm assuming Asian-owned, BSS. I did not see them at the one Black-owned BSS I know of.

I believe they come in 3 different widths/diameters . . . something like 1/4 an inch, 1/2 an inch, and 5/8 an inch.

I am just test trialing it, so I only purchased one pack so far. I'm trialing different amounts of hair, wet versus dry hair, etc., before I do my whole head.

ETA: I believe EBAY has them as well.

Last edited:

GettingKinky

Didn't you recently BC?

Chile, this is a #naturalhairproblem for real. What catcher do you have? You may have to try a new one. I have the OXO Good Grips Easy Clean Shower Stall Drain Protector in my bathroom and thr tub shroom in the other. Both work well. Even WITH the catcher, I have to pull out the drano on occasion but not nearly as much as I used to.

I BC'd about a week ago. But I only had 1-2 inches of texlaxed hair to cut off.

I have a mesh tub strainer. I thought it was doing a good job, but every once in a while I forget to put it in when I wash my hair. And since I only comb my hair once a week a LOT of shed hairs come out.

@Coilystep the link you posted didn't work for me.

Attachments

• IMG_8529.PNG
    IMG_8529.PNG
    952.9 KB · Views: 12

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions

Alma Petra

Cool! :smile:

Ooooo! What all did you buy?

Hey, love!

I bought the following items:

@Sharpened's oil mix components, then I went ahead and concocted a batch
x1 Oyin hair dew: It's really moisturizing for my hair. I was hoping the smell would be better this time but it is EXACTLY the same unfortunately :nono:
x1 CRN moisture milk: I had this before and I like it already. It's moisturizing, smells good, and does not flake up with my gel
x1 CRN caramel cowash: smells heavenly and contains real detergents so I'm hoping that it will be cleansing but not stripping on my hair
x1 CRN style setter: I have used it once so far but I don't think that it has a lot of hold, might just use it as a leave-in/moisturizer
x1 CRN curlaide moisture butter: smells amazing just like the moisture milk. This is the first time that I buy a butter. Let's see if it's going to seal that moisture in for real.
x1 CRN coconut water penetrating treatment: bought based on your reviews. I'm really really hoping that it's going to have a moisturizing effect on my hair.
x1 KCCC: I already love this. Amazing slip, cuticle smoothing, and curl-forming abilities :love:
x1 Mielle organics avocado milk: it's a leave-in. I'm hoping that it will have a smoothing effect similar to that of the Mielle DC
x1 Mielle organics babassu DC: it has a smoothing effect on my hair. I loved this effect last time I had it. I'm trying to experiment with it some more to see if the smoothing effect can last even after I put in my leave-in

On the way is the JRL moisturizing shampoo bar and the rhassoul clay that I have ordered.

Alma Petra

Hi, @Alma Petra.

My hair is still loving the JRL moisturizing shampoo bar. :smile:

Here is how the Soultanicals products compare to my staples and holy grails. The products highlighted in green are the ones I have yet to purchase/try. Please excuse my typos: I was typing fast!

View attachment 403271
View attachment 403273

Girl, you are a talented reviewer! If I were a company I would definitely hire you to reflect out the best in my products.
Now you got me wanting to buy me some Soultanicals lol. I will become a PJ!! I have never tried Soultanicals before and you make their products sound so juicy. If I were to try only one single product from their line, which one would you suggest for me?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Hey, love!

I bought the following items:

@Sharpened's oil mix components, then I went ahead and concocted a batch
x1 Oyin hair dew: It's really moisturizing for my hair. I was hoping the smell would be better this time but it is EXACTLY the same unfortunately :nono:
x1 CRN moisture milk: I had this before and I like it already. It's moisturizing, smells good, and does not flake up with my gel
x1 CRN caramel cowash: smells heavenly and contains real detergents so I'm hoping that it will be cleansing but not stripping on my hair
x1 CRN style setter: I have used it once so far but I don't think that it has a lot of hold, might just use it as a leave-in/moisturizer
x1 CRN curlaide moisture butter: smells amazing just like the moisture milk. This is the first time that I buy a butter. Let's see if it's going to seal that moisture in for real.
x1 CRN coconut water penetrating treatment: bought based on your reviews. I'm really really hoping that it's going to have a moisturizing effect on my hair.
x1 KCCC: I already love this. Amazing slip, cuticle smoothing, and curl-forming abilities :love:
x1 Mielle organics avocado milk: it's a leave-in. I'm hoping that it will have a smoothing effect similar to that of the Mielle DC
x1 Mielle organics babassu DC: it has a smoothing effect on my hair. I loved this effect last time I had it. I'm trying to experiment with it some more to see if the smoothing effect can last even after I put in my leave-in

On the way is the JRL moisturizing shampoo bar and the rhassoul clay that I have ordered.

Nice haul, ma'am!

So glad you love the KCCC.

Please let me know how the CRN Coconut Water Penetrating Hair Treatment and the JRL Moisturizing shampoo bar do your hair!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Girl, you are a talented reviewer! If I were a company I would definitely hire you to reflect out the best in my products.
Now you got me wanting to buy me some Soultanicals lol. I will become a PJ!! I have never tried Soultanicals before and you make their products sound so juicy. If I were to try only one single product from their line, which one would you suggest for me?

LOL!

Thanks.

In terms of recommending just one product from Soultanicals, that would depend on the person's current hair needs/issue:
  • For a person who has trouble with tangles and detangling, hands down I would recommend the Hair Glide. I keep forgetting that it can double as a leave-in.
  • Next would be the Twist Assist for folks who love to do braid-outs and twist-outs, especially if moisture is an issue.
  • Last would be the 'Fro Despair Repair Mega DC. I've only used it once, so I can't be sure of this, but my ends looked and felt SUPER healthy after I DC'd overnight with it. This might be an SSK/breakage/snipping game-changer for me. I'll have to continue to trial it to know for sure. I absolutely ADORE the ingredients and the packaging. That bottle is PERFECTION. More sanitary than a jar. Allows me to "measure" application in pumps and thus preserve product. Locks with a twist. The product smells like Vaseline brand's aloe Vera lotion, IMO. Not my favorite, but not bad. (Phew!)
I feel the oil has great ingredients and smells divine, but the CurlyProverbz DIY oil may have better benefits given the Ayurvedic ingredients.

Refresher sprays from other brands perform well, so the Kink Drink is not "the one Soultanicals product folks gotta try/have."

I haven't trialed the other products to be able to say that they are "the one Soultanicals product folks gotta try/have."

Alma Petra

Nice haul, ma'am!

So glad you love the KCCC.

Please let me know how the CRN Coconut Water Penetrating Hair Treatment and the JRL Moisturizing shampoo bar do your hair!

I will make sure to report back :yep:

I'm conflicted between using these new synthetic products and the oil mix. I will have to pick something to start with. I have already used the oil mix once. I might as well stick to it for another 2-3 washes. I don't know... At least that should make my hair more receptive to the shampoo bar.

Alma Petra

LOL!

Thanks.

In terms of recommending just one product from Soultanicals, that would depend on the person's current hair needs/issue:
  • For a person who has trouble with tangles and detangling, hands down I would recommend the Hair Glide. I keep forgetting that it can double as a leave-in.
  • Next would be the Twist Assist for folks who love to do braid-outs and twist-outs, especially if moisture is an issue.
  • Last would be the 'Fro Despair Repair Mega DC. I've only used it once, so I can't be sure of this, but my ends looked and felt SUPER healthy after I DC'd overnight with it. This might be an SSK/breakage/snipping game-changer for me. I'll have to continue to trial it to know for sure. I absolutely ADORE the ingredients and the packaging. That bottle is PERFECTION. More sanitary than a jar. Allows me to "measure" application in pumps and thus preserve product. Locks with a twist. The product smells like Vaseline brand's aloe Vera lotion, IMO. Not my favorite, but not bad. (Phew!)
I feel the oil has great ingredients and smells divine, but the CurlyProverbz DIY oil may have better benefits given the Ayurvedic ingredients.

Refresher sprays from other brands perform well, so the Kink Drink is not "the one Soultanicals product folks gotta try/have."

I haven't trialed the other products to be able to say that they are "the one Soultanicals product folks gotta try/have."

I think I would go for the 3rd one, the the Mega DC then. How does it compare to the other strengthening products like the komaza treatment? I see that you compared it to the CRN coconut water treatment even though that one functions as a moisture DC for you (and it makes sense because the protein is so low down on the ingredients list)

YvetteWithJoy

On break

I'm really paying attention and analyzing things so that I can hone in on a regimen that gives me peace that I am doing the least damage to my hair as I can . . . and that I am promoting growth and retention as much as I can. I think THEN I can just let go of the search for the perfect product combination and just coast and feel my hair is growing as best it can.

My issue is that I'm used to long straight hair that frames my face. I think I can be patient while my high-shrinkage hair grows out to show length . . . but only IF I'm not working against myself by damaging my ends or not maximizing my growth and retention rate.

I am COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS until I can pack up a box of a lot of this stuff at the house and try to sell it on FB for $50-70.

I'm tiring of trialing products and trying to "solve" my hair. I'm tiring of shipping fees and analysis and so forth. But I'm close!!!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I think I would go for the 3rd one, the the Mega DC then. How does it compare to the other strengthening products like the komaza treatment? I see that you compared it to the CRN coconut water treatment even though that one functions as a moisture DC for you (and it makes sense because the protein is so low down on the ingredients list)

I cannot compare the Komaza Protein Hair Strengthener to anything I've ever tried. It is the reason I didn't re-relax my hair. I took my hair from stringy noodles to bouncy, coily, springs with awesome elasticity. It "fixed" my hair. I know it's different from anything I've ever used because after I treat my hair with it, my hair feels like it's coated with rubber. I then do moisture treatments until I get back to a good moisture-protein balance.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
The blogger of Finenaturalhairandfaith.com wrote something that hit me: Hipo hair holds a lot of water when wet. So she removes some of it before adding gel, I believe she said.

I tried that using a microfiber towel and Camille Rose Natural Curl Maker.

WOW! I have hold!!!

:scratchchin: How should I let this inform my next wng with this product?

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
@Alma Petra here are the two reviews I did on guava leaf tea:

I am stubborn, y'all; did my third guava tea final rinse yesterday. Keeping my hair off my face as I applied it with an applicator bottle, I then put on a plastic cap and, get this, washed my face. I took the cap off in two stages, front then back, to squeeze/blot out the excess.

It is not often my hair responds to anything. Guava tea as a leave-in has made my hair smoother on my fingertips and cooler to the back off my hand (more sensitive than my palm), meaning it is hydrated.
Hit: Guava Leaf Tea Leave-in Hair Rinse. It does help reduce shedding, but I love what it does for my hair - soft for days, moisturized, smooth, cool to the touch, and plays well with my oils.

I cannot think of anything else to say about it, unfortunately. Right now, raw aloe has my attention.