TWA Support Thread

Cattypus1

All loced up...
I have finally found products that give me the hold and feel I need in a Twistout! My DH actually complemented my hair. I hate greasy, sticky, hard, stiff, etc. hair. I have tried every gel, gel/oil combination, lotion/cream, cream, etc. and have had mediocre results. I got the best results ever from Design Essentials styling foam. I used the Wen styling cream under it the first time and just the styling foam the second time. The difference is in the detangling before twisting. It was better with Wen. I had some PM Super Skinny which I used after the takedown and I can't stop touching my hair! I've got to see how it sleeps since I'm still too short to pineapple.

Petite One

I have finally found products that give me the hold and feel I need in a Twistout! My DH actually complemented my hair. I hate greasy, sticky, hard, stiff, etc. hair. I have tried every gel, gel/oil combination, lotion/cream, cream, etc. and have had mediocre results. I got the best results ever from Design Essentials styling foam. I used the Wen styling cream under it the first time and just the styling foam the second time. The difference is in the detangling before twisting. It was better with Wen. I had some PM Super Skinny which I used after the takedown and I can't stop touching my hair! I've got to see how it sleeps since I'm still too short to pineapple.

Ooh, I must try this. Dry, crunchy(but somehow greasy?) hair is the worst.

hunnychile

For some reason or another, I decided to try a twist out and now I look like somebody's Aunt Beulah headed to the First Rock of LHCF Missionary Baptist Church. :ohwell:

It looks like I'm wearing a granny wig. :sad: At least my hair will be stretched to try a dry WNG tonight but still. Ugh.

gabulldawg

What's wrong? Your length is like my favorite. Super low maintenance and always cute.

I can tell it's growing but the shrinkage is crazy. :nono: So I'm not sure what to do. It's looking uneven (if that makes sense?) so some parts stick up higher than others. Some places curls are more defined and other places it looks frizzy. :ohwell: I just hope I'm not walking around looking crazy and unkempt.

hunnychile

^^ We are our own worst critics. I'm sure it doesn't look half as bad as you say.

I know what you mean about it being uneven though, so I would find a barber you really trust or someone skilled in cutting natural hair because some places curl tighter than others, some grow faster, etc...it's easier to see unevenness when it's that short. You can always go in for a hair cut.

Have you looked at the MHM thread? If it upsets you that much, you might try the week long challenge. I was almost going to do it until my hair starting cooperating. My sides refused to curl/coil like the rest of my head until I got a little bit more length. Now I can shake it out and they will pop.

Sholapie

It's really fascinating to me seeing the growth rates in different parts of my head. My front (bangs section) grows at a slower rate, actually the perimeter of my entire head grows slower than the rest. My nape, sides and crown grow fastest and are roughly 4.5 inches in almost 9 months since I shaved it all off

still can't wear twists, I don't know if it's my length or other characteristic of my hair but they just look wrong. I envy juicy big twists but I may never get them.

almond eyes

I can tell it's growing but the shrinkage is crazy. :nono: So I'm not sure what to do. It's looking uneven (if that makes sense?) so some parts stick up higher than others. Some places curls are more defined and other places it looks frizzy. :ohwell: I just hope I'm not walking around looking crazy and unkempt.

I know how you feel. TWA stage is hard because we can't do the protective or stretched styles to curb the shrinkage.

Some women get braids during this time but I always say if you have fine hair be careful with this option especially towards your hair line.

My hair is like that too frizzy in some parts and curly in other parts. My front edges are the frizzy parts. The danger of trying to grab your short hair into twists is that that is too much manipulation which can cause breakage.

If you wear a wig on a regular basis be mindful of the nylon cap which can block the moisture and stress the hairline.

The good news winter is upon us and you can hide your hair in nice silk scarves and knit caps. By the time the summer comes, your hair should be at least four to six inches which can then be protectively styled and stretched through twist outs and braid outs.

It is a phase that will not last very long. If you feel that your hair needs a shape up then shape it up. But keep in mind that if your goal is to grow your hair shape ups can be addictive and you still have to go through the awkward stage.

I know it is a frustrating time. My hair looks crazy at times but I try to make my make up look fierce and keep it going and people still compliment my style I think I can be hard on myself. I grew my hair out very short in the 90s when I had no idea about washing my hair on the regular and leave ins my hair always looked locked but it was cool because skin was clear and I didn't care what people thought and I remember within two years my hair was APL then I messed it up with a texturiser (NEVER AGAIN). It is a phase that won't last if you retain your inches by keeping your moisture regiment going.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

ckisland

So I've straightened my hair twice in the past week. The second time I used African Pride (same company as Beautiful Textures) TMS, then blowdryed and flatironed. My hair got so much sleeker than usual, but it rained and then I had a blown out fro :ohwell:.

That didn't work out, but I'm pretty sure I have the perfect hair to heat training and/or a keratin-esque system. My hair handles heat so well, and always bounces back even when I crank the heat to 450. . .and do like 7 passes :takecover: . I'm going to leave my hair alone though until I reach SL, because my hair's just too short right now to make the straightening process worth it. I think I'm going to go into braids cause I need some length in my life!!

ETA:
I just washed, DC'd and did a wash n'go, and my hair is definitely silkier like the TMS promised. My curl pattern wasn't altered, but a good bit of the kink has been taken out. I like it!!! I have plenty to do another round, so I'll probably take another go in December.

Last edited:

bronzephoenix

Beautiful! But girl. Why are you in here? :lol: What is that, btw, a twist out?

Am I no longer considered a TWA...??? I just bc'd in March! Am I getting evicted?? Lol
How embarrassing...

Where do I go from here?? :cry:

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

ckisland

Am I no longer considered a TWA...??? I just bc'd in March! Am I getting evicted?? Lol
How embarrassing...

Where do I go from here?? :cry:

Awww :lol:. Yeah you are definitely well past the TWA phase :yep:. How long was your hair when you bc'd? BC to a fade and the TWA stage will last for a minute. BC down to 5 inches and you'll be out and off to medium size fro land in no time.
You should go to one of the length challenges!!! You're lucky to be in and out of the TWA phase so fast :dance7:

bronzephoenix

Awww :lol:. Yeah you are definitely well past the TWA phase :yep:. How long was your hair when you bc'd? BC to a fade and the TWA stage will last for a minute. BC down to 5 inches and you'll be out and off to medium size fro land in no time. You should go to one of the length challenges!!! You're lucky to be in and out of the TWA phase so fast :dance7:

The longest area (top) was 3". Probably 1-2" in the tapered areas.
image-4270272047.jpg

I mean, I knew it had grown but... I guess I just still see a twa in comparison to my previous length. I'll probably feel bald until I get back to MBL, lol. I don't think I'll be doing any length challenges this time around though. :nono:

Happy Hair growing to All! Enjoy the journey :)

ckisland

bronzephoenix

You're growth is fantastic!!!! You'll be back to MBL before you know it :grin:! The new year will be right around the corner, and we'll all be jumping on new challenges :yep:!!

But I feel your pain!! Right now, I'm going to be doing flips once I get to SL :lol:

Luscious850

Month one went by pretty quick.

During week 2 I ended up taking the clippers and shaving off 1/4in. I still had some loose fly away relaxed pieces. So now I'm left with these super tight micro coils.

They look funny to me but I love the ease of being able to wash and go.

image-2178989616.jpg

image-931447676.jpg

Guinan

Re-Branding
Month one went by pretty quick.

During week 2 I ended up taking the clippers and shaving off 1/4in. I still had some loose fly away relaxed pieces. So now I'm left with these super tight micro coils.

They look funny to me but I love the ease of being able to wash and go.

The cut & color are really pretty

Last edited:

niknakmac

My first set of twists today. on the 15th I will be 3 months post bc. I was surprised i could twist already although I have zero hang time. they pretty much shriveled up overnight. lol and look like super shrunken comb coils.

My hair is growing in super uneven. the back is growing like crazy and the middle and the front are just not about the growth life. I refuse to have a mullet....what to do....

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
My first set of twists today. on the 15th I will be 3 months post bc. I was surprised i could twist already although I have zero hang time. they pretty much shriveled up overnight. lol and look like super shrunken comb coils. My hair is growing in super uneven. the back is growing like crazy and the middle and the front are just not about the growth life. I refuse to have a mullet....what to do....
I totally agree with you about the mullet. Before I cut my transitioning hair one of my fears I voiced to the stylist was that my natural was growing into a natural mullet shape.

sugaplum

Star Shooter
Would love to join. :)

Did my BC July 13, 2014.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 45
  • download.jpg