Any 3b/c ladies have issues w/ their relaxer lasting?

kblc06

This is interesting because I have been experiencing this for the past year with my stylist. She is very cautious about health and overprocessing, I feel a little too cautious. With others I would only experience it when I had a more than usual amt of ng and it would always be right at the root. It would appear straight as it grows out. When I get my touchup back home it usually doesn't happen. I know he smooths a lot more than my stylist up here and I believe that he processes it a little longer, but not a significant amount. Last year I had a consult with an Avlon Educator and she said that our wavy hair a lot of times doesn't take especially with larger amounts of ng and suggested that I use the relaxer for resistant hair. Super/resistant relaxers scare me. My hair gets straight with regular relaxers, but you do have to smooth (generate heat) for my hair to get straight. When I do have the wave, as it grows out I don't have the wave anymore. I have gotten tired of fighting it, because my hair gets straight for the most part. If I still had the bulk and frizz it would be a major problem. My past touchup came out with the slightest wave in some places and she smoothed it well. I am going to time her to make sure she is processing the full time. A small section in the thicker lower back it is wavy at the root, but I can handle it. I think she is finally realizing that she has to smooth my hair more and I am realizing that my hair tends to do this. It makes me wonder if when my hair gets totally straight if it is being pushed to the brink of overprocessed, or what other variables are coming into play. Hmmm off to read the rest of the thread.

My aunt used a super resistant relaxer on my hair for a virgin relaxer and it majorly damaged my hair. Although its thick, the strands are very fine to medium.

To the bolded: This is exactly how my hair was. I couldn't even BC the front section because I couldn't tell where the relaxed hair ended and the natural began; my natural hair actually lays down sleeker than my relaxed hair. Heat and rolling are the only things that give me straight hair for an extended period of time :yep:

LunadeMiel

My aunt used a super resistant relaxer on my hair for a virgin relaxer and it majorly damaged my hair. Although its thick, the strands are very fine to medium.

To the bolded: This is exactly how my hair was. I couldn't even BC the front section because I couldn't tell where the relaxed hair ended and the natural began; my natural hair actually lays down sleeker than my relaxed hair. Heat and rolling are the only things that give me straight hair for an extended period of time :yep:

:look:..I had this issue too. This why I think I went a little overboard with the cutting....:wallbash: I remember when after I got my first relaxer it looked like I didn't even to anything...:lachen:This is why I insited on relaxing root to tip everytime...:nono: I'm so jealous of the natural who have those perfect curls all over. A good 30-40% of my hair is just wavy. It look horrible next to the curls...:wallbash:

glam-

This is so validating- to hear this from all of you. That was my experience also- it never really took, and I would relax root to tip almost every time I got a relaxer. It was like pointless. My curls were looser than they are now, but my hair was not as healthy.

Natural Glow

I am now transitioning, but when I was regularly relaxing, my hair never got completely straight, no matter how long I left the perm in.

Like others said, my hair gets just as straight with a rollerset and flat iron now, as it did when I had a relaxer- I had to use just as much heat to maintain a straight look as I do at about 80% natural........for that, what is the point of having a relaxer? :nono:

I could have written this whole post myself.

clarity2008

Wow, thanks everyone for answering. I kinda forgot about this thread because I figured no one would answer but i'm glad i'm not the only one. This is really irritating to me. Has anyone with 3b/c textured hair used Phyto without reversion? My friend who is also bi-racial and has 3b/c curls used this last year and her hair is still pretty straight...Anyone else?

tigereyes83

I'm so glad I came across this thread. I thought it was something strange that the girls in my family only had. My relaxers never take. I'm always still very wavy afterwards no matter what the stylist has done. Everytime I get my hair blown out by the domnicans they are tyring to convince me I need a relaxer. I look at them like they nuts. They gave me a relaxer two weeks prior. I finally found a stylist who straight up told me stop relaxing there is no point your hair reverts to quickly.

divya

That's my hair. It stays curly, just a looser curl. I've kept it that way since a preteen - never had straight hair. I have to agree with many of the others ladies. It's probably best to stop relaxing or just learn to love the texlax curls...

Last edited:

missty1029

Thats why I am glad I found LHCF. My relaxers never took and I thought it was me. Did super, covered the entire length of my hair, even left it on for almost a hour! I gave up and I am ok with it. Sometimes I wish my pressed hair would last longer but at this point I am glad my hair will last longer so it can get longer.
Good luck with the search but I am an advocate of leaving the perm alone.

carib_n_curly

I've NEVER relaxed but my older sister who is 3b use to and the same thing would happen to her

her hair would always be super frizzy it was never bone straight.when she was transitioning it grow out straight then curled up and few inches done.

her hair would alwyas be this huge frizz ball never ever straight.my oldest sister who is 4a with some patch of 3c never had his issue but she would frequently go bald and have patches of her gone she gave of the relaxer to

my sister would leave on the relaxer for about 25 minutes but it has never been straight so she just gave up relaxing she mainly presses now.

Carolina18

Wow, thanks everyone for answering. I kinda forgot about this thread because I figured no one would answer but i'm glad i'm not the only one. This is really irritating to me. Has anyone with 3b/c textured hair used Phyto without reversion? My friend who is also bi-racial and has 3b/c curls used this last year and her hair is still pretty straight...Anyone else?

bumping :drunk:

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I think we can agree that relaxers don't really take on our hair type and that we need to spend at least 45 mins after every washing trying to straighten with heat even with a relaxer :perplexed At least, that's what it was like for me. I only relaxed my hair 2-3 times in my life.
After washing it, it looked exactly like it does naturally.

With a flat iron, my hair gets straighter and more natural looking than with a relaxer. Relaxers break down the bonds in the hair and makes it stiff and unnatural looking IMO (for my hair). My hair was like a doll's hair, very stale.

A flat iron preserves the natural movement and soft feeling of the hair that natural hair has. :)

Last edited:

clarity2008

I think we can agree that relaxers don't really take on our hair type and that we need to spend at least 45 mins after every washing trying to straighten with heat even with a relaxer :perplexed At least, that's what it was like for me. I only relaxed my hair 2-3 times in my life.
After washing it, it looked exactly like it does naturally.

With a flat iron, my hair gets straighter and more natural looking than with a relaxer. Relaxers break down the bonds in the hair and makes it stiff and unnatural looking IMO (for my hair). My hair was like a doll's hair, very stale.

A flat iron preserves the natural movement and soft feeling of the hair that natural hair has. :)

ITA. I noticed that when I did have a relaxer my hair was very stiff and almost heavy. As a natural my flat ironed hair has lots of movement and is very light and "swingy".

Bint Yusef

Tried Phyto, it did nada. All that hair is cut off, it just made it look a overprocessed but the curls came back. Im telling you our best friend is the Maxiglide, they dont make anything in a jar that comes close.:grin:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I'm not sure what my hair type is. It's 3 something. Relaxers never really took for me either. I used to relax my hair and wear it curly...and it basically looked like it does now, natural. :rolleyes: I used to use a SUPER up on this head AND relax from root to tip a few times a year. :spinning: I could never understand how anyone got bone straight hair with a relaxer because it never happened for me. Not even close. I have no idea why.
Same here. My stylist used a super duper on the whole length of my hair a couple times a year and the most it did was loosen the curl. My hair was still curly and I never understood how people got bone straight relaxed hair either. Really relaxing was pointless for me so there was no need for me to put myself or my hair through it anymore. When relaxed my hair was very similar to how it is now. When I transitioned you really couldn't tell the difference between the two textures:spinning:. I was probably the only one that knew I was transitioning. Also when relaxed I could not wear my hair straight in humid weather....same as my natural hair now so what's the point *shrug*.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Tried Phyto, it did nada. All that hair is cut off, it just made it look a overprocessed but the curls came back. Im telling you our best friend is the Maxiglide, they dont make anything in a jar that comes close.:grin:
My curls always came back too....with any perm. It's weird when people say that relaxers are permanent because that wasn't the case for me. Even with that super perm, over time my hair always went back to natural(not all the way but close), lol.

I agree with you on the maxiglide! With that and Sabino Moisture Block who needs a relaxer.:grin: Your hair looks so pretty in your avatar!

Bint Yusef

My curls always came back too....with any perm. It's weird when people say that relaxers are permanent because that wasn't the case for me. Even with that super perm, over time my hair always went back to natural(not all the way but close), lol.

I agree with you on the maxiglide! With that and Sabino Moisture Block who needs a relaxer.:grin: Your hair looks so pretty in your avatar!
Thank you! Yes girl I used super too, its a joke. I was toying with the idea of trying to relax one more time, but Ive since come to my senses.:yep:

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
The only thing that came close to straightening my hair was Redken Vertical Curl Reducer, but it just stretched my curls.

I used Super perms when I was young and I'd do my own touchups on my bangs (I KNOW!!!) because I thought that would make it so I wouldn't have to straighten them so often, not so much. I went to the gym with a relaxed friend once and she stood under those "hair dryers" (aka hand dryers up higher on the walls) and used a comb and her hair was straight. I just stared in shock. We were still blow drying and stove hot combing my hair when it was relaxed.

I read people's horror stories about transitioning and I don't remember having issues at all and I've transitioned 3 times.

kblc06

This right here is the TRUTH... I sing praises of the MAXIglide every time I pass it through a section of hair. Between this, large rollers and a bonnet dryer...who needs a relaxer :rolleyes:

Bint Yusef

This right here is the TRUTH... I sing praises of the MAXIglide every time I pass it through a section of hair. Between this, large rollers and a bonnet dryer...who needs a relaxer :rolleyes:
Pretty much. I can get bone straight hair with a flat iron or a rollerset.

Natural Glow

Same here. My stylist used a super duper on the whole length of my hair a couple times a year and the most it did was loosen the curl. My hair was still curly and I never understood how people got bone straight relaxed hair either. Really relaxing was pointless for me so there was no need for me to put myself or my hair through it anymore. When relaxed my hair was very similar to how it is now. When I transitioned you really couldn't tell the difference between the two textures:spinning:. I was probably the only one that knew I was transitioning. Also when relaxed I could not wear my hair straight in humid weather....same as my natural hair now so what's the point *shrug*.

Same here LOL:lachen:...I mean I could tell the difference cause the relaxed part was a little thinner and didn't wanna act right when I tried to do wash n gos, but no one else could tell.

Evazhair

You know, even when I went to the salon and had my hair blown out after a relaxer, I could STILL feel the curl in my roots. It always pissed me off because hair relaxers aren't cheap!

And the relaxers made my hair even MORE frizzy see :wallbash:

And now my hair is just flat. LOL. :(

:yep:My hair would look like this when relaxed as a child/teen. I experience the bolded when I get trims(blowdried) with a fresh relaxer. I feel you.

IDK... Most of the women in my mother's family have that problem. Some of them still relax just to thin the bulk of the hair My granny used to have me do her hair and it would never stay straight for long. If she stayed in the shower too long, or got caught in humidity or anything it would still revert with the relaxer. It wasn't as bad as it was without it but it still reverted. She said the waves would come back in and mess her style up. :lol:

This exactly why I relaxed and will continue for now. A straight style that can survive a shower with scarf and showercap. I am with your grandma, because stepping out into this DMV summer humidity it will be a wrap for my style if unrelaxed, unless Diana Ross hair is my desire.My grandma was very anti relaxer. She complained that they don't work & tore up her hair. She was a 3b all over with silky,thick, coarse strands. She wore 2 plaits or wigs when she didn't feel like fighting her hair.

:yep:My first relaxer was a fabulaxer and it was still thick, dry and frizzy as all get out. It never looked "right." My "touchups" were root to tip as well. The story of my life was get a relaxer, give up and grow it out with presses.The relaxed hair would get pressed too.:ohwell:

My front and sides are like what you describe, but in humidity, I can tell a difference,it's softer and has more body. I can rollerset my hair relaxer straight, or get it to take whatever shape, but barring 0 humidity, it won't stay. I had the most success with wavy styles.

One thing I appreciate about the hairtyping system is it helped me understand the behavior of my hair, which I always felt was a little schizo before, which drove me crazy.

clarity2008

So basically I should just give up on relaxing! LOL I have not tried the maxiglide but I use a Chi and it gets my hair bone straight too, my problem is that it reverts too quickly (from humidity sweat etc) which is why I was contemplating relaxing again but there seems to be no point in doing that. Well, thanks again for the input ladies.

I am a mix of 3 something and my hair would NEVER hold a perm. What eventually killed my hair was heat damage, I used excessive heat to get my hair bone straight because the relaxer didn't do Jack. My mother permed my hair maybe three or four times when I was younger but it was a total waste, no results whatsoever.

hellorebecca

So. . . since I am not a type 3, I don't mind being told to mind my own business. . .but as a type 4 with a type 3 mom, i just wanted to chime in.
i wonder if part of the problem might be the (relatively higher) expectations of your hair?

A relaxer does not get a type 4's hair bone straight either! It does not get anyone's hair bone straight. That is what heat does. It is a huge myth that the relaxer alone gets it bone straight. When wet, sure. But if you dry type 4 hair without heat it also tends to just be frizzy.
Someone on this thread said that even with a relaxer, they had to spend 45 minutes under the dryer just to get it straight. . . yep, that is what type 4s do too, even with a relaxer.

I absolutely would not relax if I were type 3 and my mom has stopped doing so. Really I think the whole point of a relaxer is designed for type 4 ladies to cut down on the breakage and tangling that our natural hair can have. To 'relax' (not take away!) our natural curl pattern so that it is more manageable and does not knot up.
If you are a type 3, you should not have these problems anyway (your hair should not 'knot' as easily and should be able to be combed, etc) and so a relaxer is just pointless.
It does not make anyone's hair dry straight!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
hellorebecca said:
So. . . since I am not a type 3, I don't mind being told to mind my own business. . .but as a type 4 with a type 3 mom, i just wanted to chime in.
i wonder if part of the problem might be the (relatively higher) expectations of your hair?

A relaxer does not get a type 4's hair bone straight either! It does not get anyone's hair bone straight. That is what heat does. It is a huge myth that the relaxer alone gets it bone straight. When wet, sure. But if you dry type 4 hair without heat it also tends to just be frizzy.
Someone on this thread said that even with a relaxer, they had to spend 45 minutes under the dryer just to get it straight. . . yep, that is what type 4s do too, even with a relaxer.

I absolutely would not relax if I were type 3 and my mom has stopped doing so. Really I think the whole point of a relaxer is designed for type 4 ladies to cut down on the breakage and tangling that our natural hair can have. To 'relax' (not take away!) our natural curl pattern so that it is more manageable and does not knot up.
If you are a type 3, you should not have these problems anyway (your hair should not 'knot' as easily and should be able to be combed, etc) and so a relaxer is just pointless.

I don't think anyone is expecting 3 hair to be relaxed bone straight. There are some ladies ( most that I've seen are type 4) who are relaxed bone straight because thats what they prefer. They can air dry their hair and it'll be straight. Traycee on YouTube comes to mind.

I think what most ladies are saying here us that since their type 3 hair won't straighten with a relaxer there is no point.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Dposh167

hellorebecca said:

That's not true. There are type 4s who relax bone straight and their hair dries straight too. I've had that kind of hair before.

And I think when the type 3s are saying the word straight...they don't mean literally flat ironed straight. They just mean the relaxer didn't take on a straighter texture than what they already have. Their hair still curls or waves up similar to their own natural texture.

JudithO

I wish having type 3 hair that didn't take relaxers was my problem... hehe... jk

But my 4Z hair relaxes bone straight very easily...