Miconazole Nitrate (MN) Challenge (September 1 - December 31, 2012)

LovelyRo

I haven't updated in a while. I'm still only applying once a week and my new growth is off the chain! I'm 8 weeks post trying to make it to 12... I'm wiging it so I don't have to deal with taking the NG!

Here's a pic:

image-812045105.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Mjon912

I had a week off of mn, I went ot and left my mix home smh...but I'm back on it, my head felt soo good after I massaged it

jprayze

Only 1x / week... Interesting. I have absolutely no idea how much growth I've gotten as I am 18 weeks post today with ridiculous shrinkage. I am not using heat until my relaxer at 20 weeks post and that will be my reveal (a whole month later)...

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

OOoh Can't wait for your reveal! :grin:

jprayze

Hey ladies!

Questions: Do you plan to continue with MN after the challenge ends? Are you going to take a break and resume? Do you want to have another MN challenge in 2013?

My hair really seems to thrive while using MN, both in health and growth. I took a one month break and during the month, my hair did shed a lot. Once I resumed MN usage, my hair bounced back!

I noticed that several ladies in the challenge just use it once a week. I have been using MN once a day since this challenge began. I think my plan is to continue 'going hard' with MN for the rest of the year and then in January start gradually reducing usage until I get down to once weekly.

Why reduce usage? Well I've been using MN since March and it is an OT medicine soooo I just thought I would be cautious and I think it is important to going use 'as much as necessary' to achieve desired results. (Although there are ladies on the board that use it continuously during their hair journey.)

So I'm going to cut back in January, but I won't be stopping anytime soon! I have too much MN stocked up!:grin: Plus I'm hoping MN will take me to at least BSL/MBL. I want see how my hair responds to sulfur; I have never used it. I'm a planner even when it comes to hair! January is going to be 1x/wk MN and sulfur (IDK how often for that).

What are your plans???

jprayze

Mjon912 said:
I had a week off of mn, I went ot and left my mix home smh...but I'm back on it, my head felt soo good after I massaged it

That's always a challenge, taking everything you need for your hair when you go out of town!

I'm going OOT Wed. and trying to figure out what I need to take.

jprayze

From 8/23:

My answers

What is your current length? Flirting with APL, hope to be able to claim in September or October
Is this your first time using MN or how long have you used in MN? I've been using MN since late March. Took a break for 1 month (August).
How will you use your MN (directly/mixed)?
I just mixed my oils without MN tonight so I'm ready. My mix will consist of equal parts (about 1 oz each) apricot oil, WGHO, and a few drops of peppermint oil and a 1 oz tube of 2% MN. I will not be starting use until September 3rd because I will be on vacay and not taking my MN with me! :) On September 4, I'm going to get my hair flat ironed for my starting pic and maybe a little trim. Then I'm going to baby my ends like crazy because I'm not getting any more trims for the rest of the year!
What frequency will you apply it? 1/day applying at night. Twice/day may have been too much manipulation.
Any other growth aids that you are using? On the same day will start taking biotin again 1000 mcg/day.
Anything else you care to add? I think I said enough! :)
Starting pic on the way!

Just wanted to update from my original answers. This mix lasted a long time! I'm hoping to finish it up at the end of the month. I mixed a new batch tonight, a smaller batch this time- I used the 4% prefilled applicator with .5 oz grapeseed oil instead of apricot (a little lighter) and .5 oz WGHO and 3 drops of peppermint oil.

On Sept. 4, I did not get a trim. Actually I never got that last trim of the year yet! I guess I'm going to keep going without because I try to only trim based on the best day to cut to increase growth in the farmers almanac.

I totally upped my vit regimen-- viviscal 2x/day, calcium/vitamin D 2x/day, 1000 mcg biotin 1x/day, a centrum multi 1x/day.

Although I'm going to flat ironed next week, I will resist the urge to do a length check..I think...I hope...um, I'm trying y'all!!!

gforceroy

Using my dark roots as proof ( I colored my hair a month ago), I think that I have an inch of new growth. I am going to keep applying to my whole scalp (I just started doing this recently) instead of just my edges. I will try to upload a pic later.

jprayze

gforceroy said:
Using my dark roots as proof ( I colored my hair a month ago), I think that I have an inch of new growth. I am going to keep applying to my whole scalp (I just started doing this recently) instead of just my edges. I will try to upload a pic later.

Thanks for the update! I lighten with honey, but I can't keep up with the growth! Not complaining, but I have a lot of dark roots! I may stop the honey for a while and just do my natural color esp for the winter.

gforceroy

Here is a picture. I measured and it seemed to be about an inch. This is exciting!!

Attachments

• 20121027_145028-1-1.jpg
    20121027_145028-1-1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 70

jprayze

gforceroy said:
Here is a picture. I measured and it seemed to be about an inch. This is exciting!!

That is a lot of roots for 1 month! When are you going to dye again?

Guinan

Re-Branding
gforceroy, that's ALOT of new growth! WOW!

I finally bought my mn!! I actually bought it in person at like 7 in the morning and went to the self-checkout line @ the Acme:lachen:.

It's miconazole 3 and it has 3 applicators that has 4% strength and then a cream that has 2% strength. I paid 18.37 for it.

Question, do you apply ur mixture just to the scalp, right?
I plan on starting my mixture on Sunday. I am doing to DC for 2hrs, cowash and then M&S as usual, braid my hair in 4's and then apply the MN on the 4 sections of my scalp.

My mixture will be: 1 applicator of the MN, 1oz grapeseed oil, 4 drops of argon oil and .05oz of WGHO.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I just looked at the box and realized that they are expired *** 09/11. Does that matter? I hope not, cause I really don't think I can return this out of pure embarrassment:blush:

jprayze

pelohello said:
I just looked at the box and realized that they are expired *** 09/11. Does that matter? I hope not, cause I really don't think I can return this out of pure embarrassment:blush:

I never used expired MN...sorry :-( that seems like a long time to be on the shelf.

Mznelly

pelohello said:

I suggest you return it I wouldn't risk putting an expired product on my hair

Guinan

Re-Branding
jprayze said:
pelohello what did u do?

I decided 2 keep it after reading online that as long as its not open or refrigerated, I should be fine. For now on I will def pay attention 2 the expiration date

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

jprayze

pelohello said:
I decided 2 keep it after reading online that as long as its not open or refrigerated, I should be fine. For now on I will def pay attention 2 the expiration date

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Ok well you are good to go! Glad you joined us :)

DominicanBrazilian82

Applied this a.m after my co-wash and DC... :yep: feeling good about my relaxer reveal in two weeks. I'm going to stop using MN on Wednesday when I do my protein treatment. I'll be sure to do one application in the morning.

jprayze

DominicanBrazilian82 said:
Applied this a.m after my co-wash and DC... :yep: feeling good about my relaxer reveal in two weeks. I'm going to stop using MN on Wednesday when I do my protein treatment. I'll be sure to do one application in the morning.

I'm looking forward to seeing it too. You've been doing a really great job caring for your hair

jprayze

At first, I though MN was only helping me in length but my hair is going back! I lost a lot of hair in June due to changing meds and probably other factors. i have since got back on my old meds. The left side is 6 weeks ago near the beginning of the challenge. The right side was taken yesterday.

See no length check but I will do a progress pic anyway!

image-1621980902.jpg

NaturalfienD

Hey ladies!

Questions: Do you plan to continue with MN after the challenge ends? Are you going to take a break and resume? Do you want to have another MN challenge in 2013?

What are your plans???

Hey @ jprayze, that's a good question … I think I will continue with MN, applying once a week from late December til March and stop for a month then. My birthday is in February and I have big plans on being BSB. After I take the month off from MN, (March to April) I will jump right back in the challenge. :)

NaturalfienD

Checking In:

I have completed my mini braid install and back on MN. I'd planned to use five or six times last week but came up short. I applied last night and plan on applying three more times this week. I have an oz left, which is plenty for the next few weeks. HHG ladies …

2 week update. Not sure if the MN is working for me, but here is my picture. I think I will know for sure in December.

jprayze

karlajamaica said:
2 week update. Not sure if the MN is working for me, but here is my picture. I think I will know for sure in December.

It looks like it's working..,

DominicanBrazilian82

jprayze said:
I'm looking forward to seeing it too. You've been doing a really great job caring for your hair

Thank you :) I'm so excited about hair care (it has unfortunately consumed me). I finally want to grow my hair past my shoulders. I've never seen it longer than shoulder length (maybe a little bit longer...but not much)