Conditioners Without Alcohols

divinefavor

I am in search of conditioners without alchohols. I have bought so many products (because I'm a bss junkie :grin: ) that my cabinet is full of stuff that I can't use because I look on the back and read Cetyl Alcohol and Cetaryl Alcohol (or something to that effect). The only conditioner that I have found is Keracare and I love there products although I think my hair is getting used to it now (I've been using their products for about 10 mos.) that I don't get the same effect that I had when I first started using it. Does anyone have any recommendations. My hair is fine and usually dry a lot. My friend gave me a touch up yesterday and she used some Keracare and Nexxus conditioners (which I noticed the Nexxus has alcohol in it). My hair looks great though, shiny and a lot of bounce. However, I don't think that I will go out and buy Nexxus and use it on a regular basis because of the alcohols that are it.

Also, which alcohols have the drying effect. I'm thinking maybe I'm just paranoid and the Cetyl and Cetaryl Alcohols aren't bad? I went to Asha's site and e-mailed her about products that are good for dry and fine hair. She told me which products would work best. I then proceeded to ask her if any of her products had alcohol in them and this is what she told me:

"Antonina,
Our Silk Rose Elixir does contain natural grain
alcohol that acts as a preservative. There are no
drying affects from its use."

Before I purchase anything else I just want to make sure that I get the right products. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I remember a post several months ago about good alcohols and bad alcohols for dry hair. I printed out the list for my records so I'll just type it out here in my post...

DENATURED "BAD" ALCOHOLS:
Benzyl Alcohol
Isopropyl Alcohol
Ethyl Alcohol
SD 40 Alcohol
SD Alcohol 40B

EMOLLIENT "GOOD" ALCOHOLS:
Behenyl Alcohol
Ceteareth-5
Cetearyl Alcohol
Ceteth-2
Cetyl Alcohol
Glycerin
Lareth-2/3
Sodium Cetyl Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Seteareth 21
Stearyl Alcohol

Hope that helps!!! ;)

tryn2growmyhair

Poohbear said:
I remember a post several months ago about good alcohols and bad alcohols for dry hair. I printed out the list for my records so I'll just type it out here in my post...

DENATURED "BAD" ALCOHOLS:
Benzyl Alcohol
Isopropyl Alcohol
Ethyl Alcohol
SD 40 Alcohol
SD Alcohol 40B

EMOLLIENT "GOOD" ALCOHOLS:
Behenyl Alcohol
Ceteareth-5
Cetearyl Alcohol
Ceteth-2
Cetyl Alcohol
Glycerin
Lareth-2/3
Sodium Cetyl Sulfate
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Seteareth 21
Stearyl Alcohol

Hope that helps!!! ;)
Thanks for posting this, PB. This is just what I was going to say. I stopped using Humecto becuase it has mineral oil in it which dries out my hair. The products that I use now have some of these alcohols in them, but I also try to stay away from Sodium Laureth Sulfate. If you are really concerned about what you are putting in your hair buy Philip Kingsley's "The Hair Bible" he explains different products and also has an ingredient glossary at the back of the book explaining what tons of ingredients do to your hair.

tryn2growmyhair

divinefavor said:
I am in search of conditioners without alchohols. I have bought so many products (because I'm a bss junkie :grin: ) that my cabinet is full of stuff that I can't use because I look on the back and read Cetyl Alcohol and Cetaryl Alcohol (or something to that effect). The only conditioner that I have found is Keracare and I love there products although I think my hair is getting used to it now (I've been using their products for about 10 mos.) that I don't get the same effect that I had when I first started using it. Does anyone have any recommendations. My hair is fine and usually dry a lot. My friend gave me a touch up yesterday and she used some Keracare and Nexxus conditioners (which I noticed the Nexxus has alcohol in it). My hair looks great though, shiny and a lot of bounce. However, I don't think that I will go out and buy Nexxus and use it on a regular basis because of the alcohols that are it.

Also, which alcohols have the drying effect. I'm thinking maybe I'm just paranoid and the Cetyl and Cetaryl Alcohols aren't bad? I went to Asha's site and e-mailed her about products that are good for dry and fine hair. She told me which products would work best. I then proceeded to ask her if any of her products had alcohol in them and this is what she told me:

"Antonina,
Our Silk Rose Elixir does contain natural grain
alcohol that acts as a preservative. There are no
drying affects from its use."

Before I purchase anything else I just want to make sure that I get the right products. Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
Also, I would be careful about natural grain alchohol and do a google search. I have used Aubrey's products with that ish in it and my hair dried out something fierce. I am not so sure that natural grain alchohol is that benign. One of the things that I have learned on this hair journey is not to necessarily think that everything is "natural" is good. Firstly, it has be denatured to be put in the product. Also, glycerine is natural and my hair hates it, while my hair tolerates propylene glycol.

balisi

I used to be paranoid about products containing alcohol, hardly able to find any that didn't. :confused: Then I learned that most products must contain some type of alcohol, and that not all alcohols are created equal. :look: So if I see only fatty alcohols listed among the ingredients on a product's label, it's a go. If I see any drying alcohols listed (SD alcohol, Isopropyl), that is not a product I will use on my hair. It's hard to believe that the same alcohol used as an antiseptic (isopropyl, for example) is contained in a hair product! You see how fast it dries on your skin! :eek: I have yet to see it mentioned on this site, but one such product is Stabilizer Plus, which is recommended for use after a relaxer treatment and acts as a detangler.

tryn2growmyhair

balisi said:
It's hard to believe that the same alcohol used as an antiseptic (isopropyl, for example) is contained in a hair product! You see how fast it dries on your skin! :eek: I have yet to see it mentioned on this site, but one such product is Stabilizer Plus, which is recommended for use after a relaxer treatment and acts as a detangler.

It's also in Salerm Wheat Germ mask which is why I refuse to use it despite all the rave reviews it gets on this board. It's also a lot of money for a little product. :look:

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

tryn2growmyhair said:
Also, I would be careful about natural grain alchohol and do a google search. I have used Aubrey's products with that ish in it and my hair dried out something fierce. I am not so sure that natural grain alchohol is that benign. One of the things that I have learned on this hair journey is not to necessarily think that everything is "natural" is good. Firstly, it has be denatured to be put in the product. Also, glycerine is natural and my hair hates it, while my hair tolerates propylene glycol.

As much as I love Aubrey Organics hair products I have to agree with you on about the natural grain alcohol causing damage to your hair. I use the AO styling aids but I dont think it made my hair dry but it did cause some breakage. The shampoos and conditioners do not contain natural alcohol but some of the styling aids do contain it. I really like the mandarin magic hair moisturizing jelly but I don't think I will be repurchasing some of the other ones.