Is it safe to dye hair and put it into braids/weave?

missyT

Hi Ladies, please advise me. I am thinking of dying my natural hair black (it is very dark brown naturally) but I don't wear it out. It is mostly in braids or weaves. The reason for wanting to do so is that I would like to keep record of my growth. Is this a good idea? Will it work?

alibi

hair bored
I wouldn't advise dying your hair just to keep track of the growth. As you know, coloring your hair is a chemical process and weakens the hair, so I would only do it if you really want to achieve that color. But since your going to be doing protective styles for a while, I would suggest that you take some pics and also pull out a strand or two of your hair and measure it to keep track of the growth. Most of the ladies here measure their progress that way, and trust me, you'll know if it's growing! Hope that helps. :up:

missyT

Thanks for the response ayana. I was of the impression that dying hair darker was safer than dying it lighter? Anyway, I have been measuring my hair but it seems to be gaining length really slowly. For instance, I cut it in May last year and it has only gained 2 inches since then! There must be something seriously wrong. I just wanted to see whether it is growing from the root faster than it is gaining length. If it is, I guess I must have a breakage problem.

SweetCaramel1

hi. i would say not to dye it. my hair is seriously difficult to detangle after i do a twist out. so i wouldn't recommend it. instead of dying, how about creating a hair diary. there are free one's available online. you could pick a particular section of your hair, stretch it out and record the length every month.