Benefits of Texturizing?

Millahdoowop

I would like to know that as well. I have been thinking about getting a texturizer in January of next year. I had problems with my relaxer in the past, but for some reason it wasn't til I got to college because before then it was always looking nice and healthy (the college years are no joke). But now I have come here and see that it is possible to have a relaxer/texturizer and have healthy hair. I'm still only thinking about it though...

Tai

I'm now transitioning but when I decided to texturize before it was to reduce the bulk of my hair.
My hair is very thick and it takes forever to dry, style, and especially straighten when it's all natural. I was still a slave to a stylist after my first transition and my stylist begged me to texturize so it wouldn't take her so long to do my hair. So after her pleading, I agreed. My curls hung looser and my hair was thinner. It wasn't a dramatic difference.
I am transitioning from the texturizer because I wasn't really able to style my hair curly. I could only wear it down because once I combed or brushed it to put it up, all the curls fell out and wouldn't return.
But people texturize in general to reduce or eliminate shrinkage, reduce the thickness of the hair, to change or loosen curl pattern (I will say though if you don't have any curl pattern to begin with, texturizing probably won't give you curls), and for the versality of being able to go back and forth between straight and curly/kinky hair. For some people, texturizing gives them the best of both worlds. But it has to be done just right or it won't look right. Over and underprocessing can make a texturizer look horrible.

I decided to go natural and did the big chop in April. My reason for going natural was b/c I have very fine hair and relaxers always caused major breakage. I still wasn't happy after my big chop, so I decided to try a texturizer. The stylist used a mild relaxer. When she applied the relaxer to my hair, she didn't smooth it very much, so my hair wasn't bone straight. I like the relaxed look, so I usually I have my hair blow dried and curled. I try to minimize heat, but I have to use heat at least once or twice a week. I love my hair texturized. It looks fuller and has a lot of body. My first and last texturizer was the first week of May. I have noticed that now since the texture of my texturized hair is very similar to the texture of my new growth, it is easier for me to manage both textures. I will never go back to a bone straight relaxer. I am trying see how long I can stretch my texturizer. 3mths, 6mths, Forever???

amy1234

the benefits of texturizing for me are that my hair still looks natural, it's just easier to comb and detangle when it's wet. You can also get more curl defonition when it's texturized. And it's not as thick as when it was natural.

firecracker

mrspatriceww said:
I decided to go natural and did the big chop in April. My reason for going natural was b/c I have very fine hair and relaxers always caused major breakage. I still wasn't happy after my big chop, so I decided to try a texturizer. The stylist used a mild relaxer. When she applied the relaxer to my hair, she didn't smooth it very much, so my hair wasn't bone straight. I like the relaxed look, so I usually I have my hair blow dried and curled. I try to minimize heat, but I have to use heat at least once or twice a week. I love my hair texturized. It looks fuller and has a lot of body. My first and last texturizer was the first week of May. I have noticed that now since the texture of my texturized hair is very similar to the texture of my new growth, it is easier for me to manage both textures. I will never go back to a bone straight relaxer. I am trying see how long I can stretch my texturizer. 3mths, 6mths, Forever???

I wore a really short texturizer from 1997 til 1999. I texturized using a Motion's mild relaxer the curls pattern was nice and large. I used S Curl texturizer spray and styling gel for waves and shortcuts. I really loved my curl pattern using this method. Freak it I am doing another texturizer with Motions because I realize I don't really want curls I want waves. I can get curls using Elasta Curl Silk and still rock an authenitic afro if I use no products in my hair outside of DuSharme hair dressing/creme. I feel a lil defeated because I would love to say I am completely natural but oh well. I need more versatility!:lachen:

nita4

I do my daughter's hair about every six months. Her natural hair is fine, dense, 4a with lots of coils. When fully natural, there was lots of shrinkage and it seemed like I was pulling out more of her hair then necessary, so I texturized it. It makes it easier to manage.

When I was texturized, I basically did it by mistake, by underprocessing my hair, but learned to love it once I realized that I could roller set it to make it straight without using heat. When I used heat, it was once a week to blow dry and flat iron. I could work out without worring about sweating my hair back. If I want to c-wash everyday, it's possible without having a major detangle job. I loved it and my hair was in good condition. Unlike a full relaxer which made my hair thin and weak.

Basically, it just made our hair easier to manage.

Stormy

Good question LilChocolate!

Like nita, when I used to do my own relaxers using Motions mild, I was texturizing too without realizing it. I thought since I was underprocessing it, I should let the professionals handle it, and get it evenly straight. Only, the stylist always gets it too straight, and my hair looks thinner, and starts breaking off. So, although I wasn't getting it straight, my hair was much healthier when I was doing it myself. I'm trying to go natural, but I'm finding that when I wash my hair I get lots of tangles which causes too much hair (for me) in my comb. I think I may just go back to texturizing.

hopeful

Hi LilChocolateMa:wave:,

I recently texturized by accident and I love it. I had been natural for 5 1/2 months and was growing frustrated with how long it took to detangle and braid my thick hair (3 hours) and with my uneven shrinkage (the front and top didn't shrink hardly at all/the back shrank alot). I just couldn't take it anymore. I really loved being natural but it just took so long to style. I originally planned to relax with no-lye and do rollersets and braid-outs because I wanted to wear full, thick styles. I was no longer interested in super straight hairstyles. Being natural let me see how much better I looked with kinky/curly hair/hairstyles. I was so worried about over-processing, erring on the side of caution, that I ended up texturizing. I can finally wash and go, I can detangle in 5 minutes, I can do my hair quickly without pulling it out, and now it looks pretty everyday without so much effort.

Stormy said:
Good question LilChocolate!

Like nita, when I used to do my own relaxers using Motions mild, I was texturizing too without realizing it. I thought since I was underprocessing it, I should let the professionals handle it, and get it evenly straight. Only, the stylist always gets it too straight, and my hair looks thinner, and starts breaking off. So, although I wasn't getting it straight, my hair was much healthier when I was doing it myself. I'm trying to go natural, but I'm finding that when I wash my hair I get lots of tangles which causes too much hair (for me) in my comb. I think I may just go back to texturizing.
Hi Stormy. Remember we talked about this when you were in B'ham. Thought you would have texturized by now.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am natural now, but I used to love my texturized hair. I just wet it and it would produce waves from ear to ear. I stopped texturizing because my hair grew so fast w/ MTG, my texturizer touch ups had to be done every 3 weeks. I recently found out my natural hair curls nicely when wet, so I no longer need a texturizer. I do remember less shrinkage w/ it though. :ohwell:

RabiaElaine

I had my hair texturized once while in college. I loved being able to wash and go. I ended up relaxing to bone straight because I kept trying to straighten my texturized hair and was using way too much heat. Now I don't care as much for a bone straight look because I like my hair to look thick and healthy rather than bone straight. I am seriously considering going back to texturizing or natural.

Does anyone have pics of their texturized 4a/b hair to remind me :).

hopeful

RabiaElaine said:
I had my hair texturized once while in college. I loved being able to wash and go. I ended up relaxing to bone straight because I kept trying to straighten my texturized hair and was using way too much heat. Now I don't care as much for a bone straight look because I like my hair to look thick and healthy rather than bone straight. I am seriously considering going back to texturizing or natural.

Does anyone have pics of their texturized 4a/b hair to remind me :).

I just sent you a pm.

DahomeyAhosi

I don't like straight hair so I didn't want to be relaxed. However my natural hair was too much for me to detangle and comb. Washing was a nightmare. I will remain texturized until I suffer a setback that convinces me to go back to my stronger natural hair.

RabiaElaine

DahomeyAhosi said:
I don't like straight hair so I didn't want to be relaxed. However my natural hair was too much for me to detangle and comb. Washing was a nightmare. I will remain texturized until I suffer a setback that convinces me to go back to my stronger natural hair.

Your hair is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's just how I want my hair to look when I my hair grows up :). Do you texturize yourself? How long is the relaxer left on your 4a/b hair (this is my hair type). How long was your hair when you started texturizing? How did you get your hair to grow to that length?

Sorry in advance for all of the questions.:ohwell:

DahomeyAhosi

RabiaElaine said:
Your hair is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's just how I want my hair to look when I my hair grows up :). Do you texturize yourself? How long is the relaxer left on your 4a/b hair (this is my hair type). How long was your hair when you started texturizing? How did you get your hair to grow to that length?

Sorry in advance for all of the questions.:ohwell:

Hi Rabia and thanks so much for the compliment. As for your questions yes I do texturize myself with Phyto Index II though I really am not too good at it. My hair has all different textures now but honestly the hair dresser was not doing any better. I leave the phyto on from the start of application to rinse out for about thirty minutes but I start at the back so the front only gets about 10 minutes which is ok because it gets straight too quickly. I was texturized when I was at shoulder length and have gotten growth due to constant moisture (curl activator) and mostly protective styles. HTH and good luck.

Queenie

I texturize for wash and wear hair. :) My hair does not completely straighten with relaxers unless it is overprocessed. I didn't want to go natural because a like the curly look of texturizers, and my hair is too thick for my patience level.

Amina

Does it matter what you use to texturize your hair (relaxer or texturizer) and also how do I care for my hair when switching from bone straight to texturizer? I am 4a/4b with shoulder length hair. Since using MTG my hair seems to be growing fast. Also did you change what products you used since having a texturizer?

Last edited:

Miosy

The reason that I texturize is because I have 4a/b fine hair. When relaxed bone straight my hair looses elasticity and breaks all the time. Since I have been texturizing my hair is at it's longest because I don't get that breakage anymore. I also have the option of getting my hair pretty straight when I decide to flat iron which is usually 1-2X every 3 months. :)

Miosy

Amina said:
Does it matter what you use to texturize your hair (relaxer or texturizer) and also how do I care for my hair when switching from bone straight to texturizer? I am 4a/4b with shoulder length hair. Since using MTG my hair seems to be growing fast. Also did you change what products you used since having a texturizer?

I use Elucence relaxer to texturize. Timing is the key whether you use a regular relaxer or texturizer.

Since you will be transitioning the best styles are protective styles. Your ends will appear thinner and become more fragile as the months go by.

I had to switch products because my texturized hair takes a bit longer to soak up condtioners and certain conditioners don't work anymore for me

Stormy

mrspatriceww said:
Hi Stormy. Remember we talked about this when you were in B'ham. Thought you would have texturized by now.

No, I wasn't quite 3 months post relaxer yet. If I do texturize it will be between 4 and 5 months. The less I can use chemicals the better.