Never again...

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I know never is a strong word, but there are a few things I refuse to do anymore:
1.I will never relax my hair again. Thanks to the rollerset and blowout technique I can get straight bouncy hair without the breakage and occassional chemical burns.
2. I will never use permanent color again. Although it improved my porosity, my inexperience caused me to overlap color (dh did it) and my hair broke off in a few areas.
3.I will never wear tiny braids again. I wore them a lot throughout high school and college. As a result my hairline isnt as thick as it used to be.
4.I will never stop taking a multivitamin. My hair and my body desperately need those extra nutrients, because some days I just dont eat right:blush:

I know this is a journey so im still learning as I go. So far these are no nos for me. What will you never do again?

Last edited:

NaturallyATLPCH

I will never henna again. It works for a lot of curlies but dried the crap out of my hair. And yes, I used moisturizing treatments every time. My ends were horrible, had to get almost two inches chopped off.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I know never is a strong word, but there are a few things I refuse to do anymore:
1.I will never relax my hair again. Thanks to the rollerset and blowout technique I can get straight bouncy hair without the breakage and occassional chemical burns.
2. I will never use permanent color again. Although it improved my porosity, my inexperience caused me to overlap color (dh did it) and my hair broke off in a few areas.
3.I will never wear tiny braids again. I wore them a lot throughout high school and college. As a result my hairline isn't as thick as it used to be.

I know this is a journey so im still learning as I go. So far these are no nos for me. What will you never do again?

1. I will never do number three again. If it wasn't for that regimen in college, I would have had tailbone length hair by now.

2. I will never relax my hair again. My hair and scalp don't agree with it. In addition to this I prefer my natural hair texture.

3. I will never baggy while co-washing several times a week.

Last edited:

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Never will I ever put coconut oil directly on my hair. Crispy hair every time. Every fees months someone says how great it is and I try it. I'm sticking to my guns now.

AnjelLuvs

I can co-sign on all three, Rinses are my friend... Small braids are not, especially if intending on keeping in for a period of tiem.

Jace032000

1. I will NEVER relax my hair again. My hair does not do well with relaxers and I have concluded that they are just not for me.
2. I will never go longer than 3-days without moisturizing my hair. I used to go weeks without doing anything to my hair…but never again.

That's all I can think of right now…I'm sure more will surface as I read the replies of others.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
my goal is to never relax again, I hate saying never, but I've seen too many naturals with all different textures who achieve the "relaxed" look, even bone straight- so my thinking is if that's possible to get that look as a natural there is no need for me to relax

Mizzmini

1.I will never let a relaxer SIT in my hair after smoothing it in .
2. I will never put hair glue in my hair . NEVER AGAIN
3. I will never continuously put tight ponytails/buns in my hair.
4. I will never again depend on weave to make me feel "pretty"
5. I will never listen to ignorant people who says my hair cant grow.

Last edited:

Stormy

I will NEVER get individual braids done at an African braid shop again. I did this back in 2004 or 2005 and haven't done it again since. When I took my braids down, I noticed they took the thinnest strand of hair for each braid and my hair broke off badly. Now, for cornrows the two African braid shops I've been to have been excellent, but for individuals I will never chance it again.

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
I will NEVER get individual braids done at an African braid shop again. I did this back in 2004 or 2005 and haven't done it again since. When I took my braids down, I noticed they took the thinnest strand of hair for each braid and my hair broke off badly. Now, for cornrows the two African braid shops I've been to have been excellent, but for individuals I will never chance it again.

Stormy

I did it for five years straight, at the African braid shop, individual braids :nono:.

Well, you learn better you do better :yep:, that is the great thing about being in this community of women who are learning and growing their hair :grin:.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Oh and I will never let bonding hlue anywhere near my head. Before the forums I used to get a full weave bonded in every 6-8 weeks. I thought I was all that back them kmsl

Willow00

I will never again....

relax my hair (hair is finally healthy).
get a weave sew-in or glued (thinned and irritated my scalp).
color my hair (hair and scalp were a mess).
use shea butter (bad for my hair).
not wear a scarf to bed.

krissyhair

I won't ever buy hair again, not after that kurly klips fiasco. I liked them enough, but I feel crazy wearing fake hair. Not to mention they're heavy and hurt.

nymane

I will never follow a moisture only regimen again. The moisture high is great for a few weeks, but the consequence of omitting protein is moisture overload (one of the scariest hair situations I've ever been in smh.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
I will never relax again.
I will never excessively use heat on my hair.
I will never wear weaves or braid extensions ever again.
I will never do GHE again, stinky,wet,sweaty hair *gags*
I will never again use permanent(non-herbal) dye on my hair again.

Aviah

I will never relax my hair again, with all the tricks I've learned and mastered over the years, I can get a flat iron job down tight now.
I will never do permanent color either, it just dried the crap outta my hair, all brands, every time.

PlainJane

I will never relax my hair again, with all the tricks I've learned and mastered over the years, I can get a flat iron job down tight now. .
Please share these tips and tricks you have! I'm considering transitioning to be a straight haired natural but I can barely get and keep my new growth straight

Gr8ness83

Basically cosigning with everyone else's never agains....

I will never....

1) I can say with full certainty that I will never relax my hair ever again
2) Get a Keratin treatment
3) NEVER, EVER bleach my hair...EVER
4) Use hair glue to apply tracks (havent dont this in almost 10 years though)
5) Blow dry my hair on high after washing it then flat iron it on the highest setting... 3-4 times a week. (I don't know what I was thinking)
6) Think that my hair is not as good as anyone else's
7) Think that my hair can't grow to HL
8) Let my hair define my beauty
9) Not treat my hair with the utmost care
10) Allow the women at the braiding shops to braid my edges. They are too fine as it stands
11) Wish that I had someone else's hair
12) Go years without a protein treatment (Yes I have done that...smh)
13) Try to blend my curly hair with a straight weave. I will use a silk base closure if I want a straight weave.
14) Use hormonal birth control. This was almost as bad for my hair as the bleach was.....

That's all that I canthink of for now. Looking back on what I used to do, I am not surprised that I am not at my goal length.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
@Gr8tness83 #13 had me cracking up. Ive done the straight weave with curly roots thing too. But in my defense curly/kinky weave wasnt around yet

overtherainbow

Never again will I:
Detangle with a comb, brush, tangle teezer, ect
Do a ACV Rinse
Straighten my hair. If I want straight hair, I'll put on a wig. Not about to live that 4 hours in the bathroom life just to miss my coils the next day.
Relax my hair.

Gr8ness83

@Gr8tness83 #13 had me cracking up. Ive done the straight weave with curly roots thing too. But in my defense curly/kinky weave wasnt around yet

I am glad that I am not the only one...! lol I guess I was trying to have my cake and eat it too. You are absolutely correct though, the kinky curly weave that was available was poor quality or synthetic. I could get my hair as silky straight as the straight weave but OMG the damage that it did to my curls. As a result, the front and perimeter of my hair stayed much shorter than the rest of my hair. I don't even really get excited by the length of my hair at this point because the perimeter has so far to go to catch up to the rest of my head. When my nape is at least APL and my bangs are at least SL then I know I will have some serious length to my hair.... shoot, the rest will probably be WL by then...smh Oh well, when you know better you do better.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
For me it's fairly simple,

1) no to relaxing. My hair is soft enough to work around it.

2) Weaves. Too much money and hair follicles lost to this mess.

3) Frying my hair daily with curling irons, flat irons and blow dryers.

4) just plain ol' neglect..not washing or conditioning my hair regularly.

atlien11

I will never do a dominican blow out ever again
I will never take birth control again
I will never fight my natural texture again by flat ironing it within an inch of its life again

tapioca_pudding

Never relax again.
About 80% sure I'll never get a BKT again, since I prefer having my hair colored.
Never BC to super short hair again.