For Colored Girls Only (Hair Coloring Support Thread)

faithVA

Did a protein treatment tonight with Komaza. I'm good now until next month.

I colored two Fridays ago. I can already see gray hairs coming in along my edges. :nono:

faithVA

I'm glad to see there are so many ladies that use color. I'm getting some good tips.

For instance, it never occurred to me to use permanent in the front and semi on the rest of my hair. Gives me something to consider.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
I use whatever I'm in the mood for. Right now my hair has been colored at least 5 times this year with the Shea Moisture color system (permanent). I've used dark golden blonde and medium golden blonde. It still never got light enough for me so I'm recoloring next week. Probably going red. I've been coloring my hair on and off since I was 12 (ain't none of y'all business how many years that is lol). I've used everything from a rinse to permanent to spray can color. From black to brown to blonde to red to purple. My regimen stays the same I don't do anything special. I've gone as long as a few years and as short as a few days between coloring sessions. The only color that ever changed my texture was the Shea Moisture. It loosened my crown and made it softer and yes the change became permanent after the 5th time.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

I have highlights for the first time ever. Just got them a week ago. The girl only out a few in and in the front so that I can see if I truly like the look and how my hair handles color. At my next appointment I may get more added.

MochaDiva

Evolving
I'm also considering doing a blue black...but wondering how it would look against my skin. I've done jet black in the past but wasn't really feeling it. So, I was thinking blue black might be better because the color won't look as flat maybe. Do any of you have any pics of yourself with blue black hair?

almond eyes

I like color and believe that if you take care of your strands properly you shouldn't have any breakage. However, for some of us gals that are high porosity I think the chemicals from the color process can soak up our natural oils (sebum) making it very dry no matter what protein treatments we do. Very often when we think of damage we always focus on our strands but sometimes it can go deep into our scalps. I saw a woman the other day who had natural hair dyed platinum blonde and it was so excessively dry looking like it could be snapped into threads. I'm not sure if she had intended that result. Perhaps for gals who haven't had much tango with the relaxers in a long while and their scalps have healed they can do the color with no major problems.

I did an Aveda color in October, I had no problems at all whatsoever, no breakage. But I found that my scalp became excessively dry. And I think that was because my hair was still recovering from relaxed hair from over a year ago. So I have decided no more color for me perhaps a tiny bit of high lights but not many in the future.

Best,
Almond Eyes

mssoconfused

I'm also considering doing a blue black...but wondering how it would look against my skin. I've done jet black in the past but wasn't really feeling it. So, I was thinking blue black might be better because the color won't look as flat maybe. Do any of you have any pics of yourself with blue black hair?

So I just dyed my hair Dark Blue last night and honestly that color came out better than the blue/black Demi i used previously. Much richer. My hair is wet now and it still looks better than it did with the blue/black. Even shinier. Can't wait to see what it looks like dry.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Coloring my hair next week. Can't wait. It's been 6 months since my last coloring session. I'm using boxed dye to do half blonde, half brown. I don't trust other people with my hair right now. My last stylist would just cut and color my hair whenever she felt like she needed new flyers or business cards or a hair show was coming up. I didn't mind at that time because it was free cuts and color and I loved experimenting but now I'm on a length retention journey. Hoping my hair responds the way it always does to color, no drying, no breakage, no drastic texture changes. I'll post pics

GettingKinky

I just ordered online from colormetrics. Shipping is only $4. I have the mascara hair color but I don't really like it. I hope this helps me look better between color touch ups. Maybe even space them out further.

faithVA

I just ordered online from colormetrics. Shipping is only $4. I have the mascara hair color but I don't really like it. I hope this helps me look better between color touch ups. Maybe even space them out further.

How much was it there?

Guinan

Re-Branding
I got the midnight black. These grays are disrespectful!

I currently have the color on my hair. So far I LOVE the color. This is VERY black. It does smell alittle funny, but not too bad. I hope it stays this black once I rinse it out.

Did you use yours yet?

Guinan

Re-Branding
Thanks @pelohello for telling me about this thread! Here is a question I posted in a previous thread and I hope you ladies can help:

So I really want to color my hair blue. Well...blue black with a deep blue tint. A few notes though, I am vehemently against lifting any color off my hair. I'm also against permanent hair colors...I'm thinking semi and demi permanent only.

Question: I've already dyed my hair black with a demi permanent color, does anyone know whether I can put a blue rinse on top of this? Has anyone attempted this before? I'm not adverse to going to the hair dresser and letting a professional do this (thats actually my preference) I just want to know if it can be done and whether someone has had experience with this.

Attached is a pic of the color I really want! (http://sandycolon.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/rihanna-harpers-bazaar-august-2012-2-1.jpeg)

Thanks for any help you might offer!

Have you tried the blue rinse yet or spoke to a hair professional? If you do, can you ask what semi-perm blue they are using. I can't seem to find it in semi-perm. I would love to get it in a rinse

mssoconfused

Have you tried the blue rinse yet or spoke to a hair professional? If you do, can you ask what semi-perm blue they are using. I can't seem to find it in semi-perm. I would love to get it in a rinse

I used AgeBeautiful Dark Blue demi permanent and loved the outcome. I didn't get the exact color I was going for but I got a very deep black with lots of shine which was even better IMO. I likely won't use AgeBeautiful again, however. I loved the color but there is a lot of bleeding. My girlfriend is a hairdresser and suggested I try the Ion demi permanent color in Indigo next time. She also suggested mixing it with a purple for additional dimension. I'll probably try that in another month or so.

Guinan

Re-Branding
I used AgeBeautiful Dark Blue demi permanent and loved the outcome. I didn't get the exact color I was going for but I got a very deep black with lots of shine which was even better IMO. I likely won't use AgeBeautiful again, however. I loved the color but there is a lot of bleeding. My girlfriend is a hairdresser and suggested I try the Ion demi permanent color in Indigo next time. She also suggested mixing it with a purple for additional dimension. I'll probably try that in another month or so.

ummm indigo sounds cool; especially if you can keep it black on the top and indigo on the ends, that would be awesome.

Any pics?

mssoconfused

ummm indigo sounds cool; especially if you can keep it black on the top and indigo on the ends, that would be awesome.

Any pics?

No pics...its really difficult to show in pictures. It looks like a very shiny and dimensional black color. I'm hoping the indigo will show up in the light. I might mix it with some purple too.

MilkChocolateOne

1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc)
Kiss Express semi-permanent hair color in Black

2. How often you color
about every 4 months

3. Your color regimen if any
I wash deep condition and style every 5 - 14 days. It depends on how my hair feels but it usually averages out to once a week.

4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history
I have been coloring my hair for 8 years. I started with henna/indigo and then I moved on to semi-permanent color. I will eventually move on to demi-permanent.

5. Anything else you would like to share.
I am currently cutting the henna/indigo out of my hair for the second time. I have about 3 inches of henna left.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I use Optimum Amla Legend Hair Jet Black color. The color is a demi permanent one, I believe. It was the easiest hair color I have ever used and it didn't have a chemical smell to it. So far, I was able to do the MHM without it feeling stripped or dry. I have had gray hair at age 16. I like this color better than any I have used in the past.:yep: It brags to last 28 shampoos. Mine actually did last that long. I even could get away with waiting longer, but I am going to color soon because the front grays I didn't color well.:rolleyes: I will try to take pictures the next time. For some reason my pictures are sideways when I put them on.:ohwell:

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Whoops, just made a post and forgot about this thread so here is my question again: When you get highlights, etc, does the hair color eventually fade? I recently got mini highlights (aveda, no bleach was used) and it seems the color is not as vibrant. I just colored many 3 weeks ago. I cowash every two days if that makes a difference.

Does this mean that I will have to get the color retouched? I don't think I want to do that if so.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Whoops, just made a post and forgot about this thread so here is my question again: When you get highlights, etc, does the hair color eventually fade? I recently got mini highlights (aveda, no bleach was used) and it seems the color is not as vibrant. I just colored many 3 weeks ago. I cowash every two days if that makes a difference.

Does this mean that I will have to get the color retouched? I don't think I want to do that if so.

Umm..that's interesting for highlights not to have bleach. If it's not permanent then it will fade and will have to be retouched. What color are the highlights?

Guinan

Re-Branding
After I colored my hair yesterday, the front of my hair (where there is bleach) was sooooo dry. That has never happened to me before especially when using a black rinse. The culprit was that the DC that I used is sooooo crappy like REALLY crappy and I didnt want to spend the money on a conditioner that I know will get my hair mositurized. Basically what I'm saying is that before you color your hair, your hair should be in optimum health. I SHOULD HAVE did a protein treatment before and did a real good moisture DC.

I did have breakage but not too bad. I will def be doing the MHM on Wed with the approved products. I wont be playing no games this time. IDK why I think my hair is bullet proof.

faithVA

[USER=133435 said:
MilkChocolateOne[/USER];20889597]1. Form of color (semi, demi, permanent, etc)
Kiss Express semi-permanent hair color in Black

2. How often you color
about every 4 months

3. Your color regimen if any
I wash deep condition and style every 5 - 14 days. It depends on how my hair feels but it usually averages out to once a week.

4. How long you have been coloring or your coloring history
I have been coloring my hair for 8 years. I started with henna/indigo and then I moved on to semi-permanent color. I will eventually move on to demi-permanent.

5. Anything else you would like to share.
I am currently cutting the henna/indigo out of my hair for the second time. I have about 3 inches of henna left.

Welcome to the thread. Glad to have you.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm really hoping the 10% developer doesn't damage my hair. I plan to retouch my Demipermanent color every 6 months. Next month will be my first time using Ion demi color. I'm really nervous and anxious at the same time:blush: