MHM Hangout

faithVA

[USER said:
aharri23;20799861[/USER]]I just got 3 products from curl mart because of the sale!

- CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel
- CRN Curl Maker
- Curl Junkie Strawberry Icecream Curl Rehab Conditioner

You must have been following me around the store :look: :lol:

I bought the CRN Aloe Whipped Butter Gel and
Curl Junkie Strawberry Icecream Curl Rehab Conditioner

but I also bought
CRN Curlaide Moisture Butter
and
MyHoneyChild Type 4 Hair Creme

Just in case I have to wear twist longer than I think :yep:

aharri23

Haha that is really weird! I guess we bought similar products because we both do MHM lol

I didnt like the CRN curlaide moisture butter, my hair didn't absorb it. It sat on my hair and left white residue. Let me know your thoughts though!

iheartcouture

I ended up trying the method last night and am currently on day 2, but with an unapproved conditioner until I can find something other than the tresemme. My initial thoughts are that yes, it is slightly time consuming but it's mostly waiting so I'm okay with that. I'm hoping I gain more softness and moisture over the next month or two. I added pics up thread as well.

faithVA

Haha that is really weird! I guess we bought similar products because we both do MHM lol

I didnt like the CRN curlaide moisture butter, my hair didn't absorb it. It sat on my hair and left white residue. Let me know your thoughts though!

I will let you know. I plan on using it for my flat twist so it may work out ago. We shall see.

faithVA

I ended up trying the method last night and am currently on day 2, but with an unapproved conditioner until I can find something other than the tresemme. My initial thoughts are that yes, it is slightly time consuming but it's mostly waiting so I'm okay with that. I'm hoping I gain more softness and moisture over the next month or two. I added pics up thread as well.

From your picture it looks like you had some nice results. Thanks for sharing them with us.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
Has anyone flat ironed their hair yet? I'll be getting a trim and a flatiron next week for my 4 year natural anniversary. Hopefully I'll finally be APL. I plan on doing the whole regimen the night before to make sure my hair is hydrated.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Well I'm still doing the MHM bald spot regimen for the winter and I've had my braids in for 3 weeks so now its time to wash this hair. That's what I'll be doing this weekend :yep:. I think I might need to use my protein conditioner after all this moisture. Per faithVA suggestion, I will try the rhassoul clay without oil and honey just to see if I can get better definition this time around. After that then back braided up it goes for another 3 weeks :lol:. Hopefully by the time I'm done with this regimen I will have retained some nice length for the spring b/c that's when I'll resume the regular MHM regimen.

faithVA

Has anyone flat ironed their hair yet? I'll be getting a trim and a flatiron next week for my 4 year natural anniversary. Hopefully I'll finally be APL. I plan on doing the whole regimen the night before to make sure my hair is hydrated.

I think someone in the old thread said they had. I don't remember who that was though. If I find the thread I will let you know.

faithVA

Well I'm still doing the MHM bald spot regimen for the winter and I've had my braids in for 3 weeks so now its time to wash this hair. That's what I'll be doing this weekend :yep:. I think I might need to use my protein conditioner after all this moisture. Per faithVA suggestion, I will try the rhassoul clay without oil and honey just to see if I can get better definition this time around. After that then back braided up it goes for another 3 weeks :lol:. Hopefully by the time I'm done with this regimen I will have retained some nice length for the spring b/c that's when I'll resume the regular MHM regimen.

Cool, you remembered to leave out the oil and honey for the rhassoul.

Guinan

Re-Branding

I flat ironed my hair and I did the MHM prior to flat ironing. My hair was supersoft and very easy to detangle. I didnt have to re-wet my hair either. Usually my hair is already dry by the time I get to the section to blowdry.

Only problem is I had put wayyyyy too much heat protectant and it caused me to have stickiness and rough ends.

crimsonpeach

Master Lurker
I flat ironed my hair and I did the MHM prior to flat ironing. My hair was supersoft and very easy to detangle. I didnt have to re-wet my hair either. Usually my hair is already dry by the time I get to the section to blowdry.

Only problem is I had put wayyyyy too much heat protectant and it caused me to have stickiness and rough ends.

Thanks! I'll be going to the salon so I will extra vigilant about the amount of heat she uses. I have areas in my hair that are prone to heat damage.

GGsKin

Hi guys.
Been baggying for the past 2 weeks but I really want to wash my hair, if only just to play in it again lol so will be doing that this coming Tuesday. Just wanted to say I bought a shower filter head and have used it twice on my hair. It may be too early to tell, but I swear I felt the difference in my hair after the clay step. It just felt smoother/ softer somehow. It's all good

Ann0804

Update/ mini review on Q-Redew:

I got my q Redew on Monday and I'm loving it. I've used it on wet hair, dry hair, for hot oil treatments, to refresh and to hydrate my hair. I discovered I don't have to take my hair down to use it. I can use the q Redew while my hair is in twists. The only negative is- I wish the water chamber were larger so my steam sessions could go longer than 5 mins. before refilling. Refilling is easy if I keep a water bottle nearby.

faithVA

Update/ mini review on Q-Redew:

I got my q Redew on Monday and I'm loving it. I've used it on wet hair, dry hair, for hot oil treatments, to refresh and to hydrate my hair. I discovered I don't have to take my hair down to use it. I can use the q Redew while my hair is in twists. The only negative is- I wish the water chamber were larger so my steam sessions could go longer than 5 mins. before refilling. Refilling is easy if I keep a water bottle nearby.

Thanks for sharing your review Ann0804.

I want one but I need to catch a sale. :yep: I will be keeping my eyes open.

aharri23

So since everyone kept raving about Hello Curly I wanted to buy some, but it's sold out. I did some research and found most of the ingredients online. Here are the ingredients.

Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Aqueous-Infused Extracts of Marshmallow, Chamomile, Nettle, Horsetail, Vitamin E, Agave Nectar Extract, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate and Natural Fragrance.

All the ingredients cost me about $60 including shipping. I dont know the exact ratios but I'm gonna play around with them and see what gives the best definition/moisture. I'm assuming its about 90% Aloe vera juice, 2% marshmallow extract, 2% chamomile extract, 2% nettle extract, 2% horsetail extract , 0.5% vitamin E extract, 0.5% agave nectar extract, 0.1% citric acid, 0.5% potassium sorbate, and fragrance.

all of the extracts are pretty expensive ($12 for 1 oz.) so im pretty sure they don't use that much of them in a batch of gel otherwise they would be losing profit. Aloe vera juice is pretty cheap. Potassium sorbate is just a preservative.

What's interesting I found is that the ingredients are almost exactly the same as KCCC

Ingredients: botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

Both formulas use horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, agave nectar, aloe vera juice and vitamin E. They are pretty much the same ingredients. I'm hoping I can mix something that will do the job.

If anyone has any experience with making products, or any advice please let me know!

faithVA

So since everyone kept raving about Hello Curly I wanted to buy some, but it's sold out. I did some research and found most of the ingredients online. Here are the ingredients.

Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Aqueous-Infused Extracts of Marshmallow, Chamomile, Nettle, Horsetail, Vitamin E, Agave Nectar Extract, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate and Natural Fragrance.

All the ingredients cost me about $60 including shipping. I dont know the exact ratios but I'm gonna play around with them and see what gives the best definition/moisture. I'm assuming its about 90% Aloe vera juice, 2% marshmallow extract, 2% chamomile extract, 2% nettle extract, 2% horsetail extract , 0.5% vitamin E extract, 0.5% agave nectar extract, 0.1% citric acid, 0.5% potassium sorbate, and fragrance.

all of the extracts are pretty expensive ($12 for 1 oz.) so im pretty sure they don't use that much of them in a batch of gel otherwise they would be losing profit. Aloe vera juice is pretty cheap. Potassium sorbate is just a preservative.

What's interesting I found is that the ingredients are almost exactly the same as KCCC

Ingredients: botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

Both formulas use horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, agave nectar, aloe vera juice and vitamin E. They are pretty much the same ingredients. I'm hoping I can mix something that will do the job.

If anyone has any experience with making products, or any advice please let me know!

Wow you are ambitious. I hope you get it to work. What do you think makes it thick?

I wonder how it would work if the herbs were infused in the aloe versus using extracts. I may try that since I have all the herbs.

aharri23

Wow you are ambitious. I hope you get it to work. What do you think makes it thick?

I wonder how it would work if the herbs were infused in the aloe versus using extracts. I may try that since I have all the herbs.

Apparently marshmallow root infused makes a slippery texture. I just canceled my order of the liquid extract because I realize that I need powered form to make the infusion.

hairtimes5

I think tons of people are doing this method because just about everywhere I look, clay is sold out. The next time I buy some rhassoul I'm buying a 5lb bag.

As much as I love Hello Curly, I'm missing my flaxseed gel. Hopefully I'll get a chance to make some tonight. As for my hair, it's looking better and better but still not as moisturized as I would like. Anybody else having the same problem? I want to try doing a wng with mostly conditioner and just a little gel to seal the ends and see if there's a difference.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I am going to do the whole method now that I am natural. I am dying to see how my natural hair behaves with the max hydration method!:yay:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Made some flaxseed gel yesterday. However, I wasn't able to add olive oil cause I ran out. I'm thinking of adding alittle bit od shea butter to it, but I am afraid that it is going to change the consistency of the flaxseed gel. So far all I have in the gel is peppermint oil.

I still have my DC in my hair. I'm about to rinse it out and apply my clay.

faithVA

Apparently marshmallow root infused makes a slippery texture. I just canceled my order of the liquid extract because I realize that I need powered form to make the infusion.

Glad you were able to cancel. I thought dry herbs would work better but wasn't sure.

faithVA

[USER said:
hairtimes5;20808827[/USER]]I think tons of people are doing this method because just about everywhere I look, clay is sold out. The next time I buy some rhassoul I'm buying a 5lb bag.

As much as I love Hello Curly, I'm missing my flaxseed gel. Hopefully I'll get a chance to make some tonight. As for my hair, it's looking better and better but still not as moisturized as I would like. Anybody else having the same problem? I want to try doing a wng with mostly conditioner and just a little gel to seal the ends and see if there's a difference.

Where can you find a 5lb bag?

I'm having the same problem. My hair feels and looks better but not as moisturizer as I like. But I know my progress is gradual. It seems to take several weeks to see significant changes.

faithVA

Yesterday was wash day. Doing pretty good at sticking to every 3 or 4 days.

I did the baking soda step yesterday. I'm still working on the ratios. I'm using the curl ecstasy conditioner which you can really dilute so much so that I haven't figure out by how much. I used 3 oz of conditioner and added enough water until I had 16 oz of conditioner and it was still thick :ohwell: Next time I will only use 1 oz of conditioner to see how that works.

I let that sit for 30 minutes and then cowashed with the diluted curls ecstasy. I cut the grass and raked leaves while I baggied with it for about 3 hours. I rinsed and then used the pink clay I have gotten a better consistency with this. I did 7 tbsp of clay, 9 oz of water, 1 tsp of oil, 1 tsp of honey and 1/4 tsp of acv. Next time I will add more oil to gt more slip. I left the clay in for at least 30 minutes. I was tired from the yard work and just ready to be done.

Then I decided to try an oil rinse so I mixed 1/2 cup of oil plus 3 tbsp of conditioner and left that on while I showered. Next time I think I will do a 1 to 2 for the oil or a 2 to 1 (conditioner to oil). The jury is still out whether I like it or not.

I didn't do a leave in since I did the oil rinse. I twisted with AIA curling cream and sealed with Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade.

I will see if the oil rinse works as well as doing the LOCO for the winter.

I could see more definition in my hair with the clay but with the oil rinse lost all definition. Oil and glycerin both cause my hair to poof and not clump so I know I will omit those if I ever try a wng.

Honey Bee

I could see more definition in my hair with the clay but with the oil rinse lost all definition. Oil and glycerin both cause my hair to poof and not clump so I know I will omit those if I ever try a wng.
This is interesting to me. I'm coming to an understanding of the method. It's part moisture, part training your coils, that's why the gel is so important. Oils and curly puddings and what-not don't leave the necessary 'cast'.

With that in mind, maybe those who don't want to wng's could use a leave-in and then, idk, AVG (or any gel with little hold)? Let it dry, cast formed, and then style however.

Just thinking out loud. :)