July 2014 Hits & Misses

Beamodel

That's interesting. My boyfriend has type 3b/3c hair and aloe makes his hair hard.

It's suppose to be moisturizing but to some like myself it acts like a protein and makes my hair hard. Your SO might want to stay away from high aloe content products.

McQuay30

Continued Hits: Pure Pumpkin Seed Oil Lee Stafford Growth Rx Mega-Tek mixed with something She Scent It Avocado Conditioner (for Cowashing) Annabelle's Perfect Blends Revisited Hit: Hairveda's Amala Cleanse Cleansing Conditioner Discontinued Hit: Jasmine's Bath & Beauty Deep Conditioners

IDareT'sHair, would you explain how you use the pure pumpkin seed oil? What results are you seeing?

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
McQuay30

I massage with it and I use it to seal. It's super lightweight. It's a DHT Blocker/Remover and absorbs quickly no greasy feel whatsoever.

I bought it to strengthen hair and remove/block DHT. It also is Super High in various nutrients.

It's very nice. Besides the color, the consistency kind of reminds me of Grapeseed Oil.

Beamodel is also currently using it. She might want to weigh in as well.

Beamodel

Yes pumpkin seed oil is everything IDareT'sHair said. I use it for DHT blocking. I apply it to my scalp mostly and sometimes I use it to seal.

It's very light weight and absorbs very easily. Love it. One of my favorite oils.

Avocado
Coconut
Pumpkin seed

myronnie

Hits:
Shescentit Blueberry Cowash -
I've only used it after shampooing (I know..lol) but I really like it! It cleanses really well and it makes my hair super soft. I might try using it as a cowash but I only shampoo once every couple weeks and need shampoo.

Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner as a detangling prepoo in the shower is great also. My hair was really detangled and I think this is a great step to add onto my regimen. It makes my hair really soft and the slip is instant. Not as great slip as Shescentit Avocado.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
IDareT'sHair, Beamodel do either of you ladies use the pumpkin seed oil with heat? I've been curious and want to use it in my pre-poo mix but don't want to cause adverse effects by using it with a dryer or heating cap.

ETA- meant to specify pumpkin seed oil

Last edited:

charmtreese

charmtreese, Are you a hair stylist?

I am. I'm a weekend stylist...lol...meaning I have a different full time career.

I was working at BUBBLES hair salon (chain salon predominantly in the DMV area) on the weekend for the past 3-4 years. But they recently closed in my area. So, now I'm taking my clients in my home.

Beamodel

IDareT'sHair, Beamodel do either of you ladies use the pumpkin seed oil with heat? I've been curious and want to use it in my pre-poo mix but don't want to cause adverse effects by using it with a dryer or heating cap. ETA- meant to specify pumpkin seed oil

I apply it to my scalp & mainly seal with it. I have mixed it in my shampoo and I love it that way. I mixed it in my DC before with heat. It worked pretty good.

SweetlyCurly

Hit: Trader Joe's tea tree tingle shampoo and conditioner.
The shampoo is awesome. Not as drying as I thought it would be and love the tingly feeling.
The conditioner...oh man I'm in love. It started softening my hair as soon as I applied it. Didn't need too much of it. Love the tingly feeling on my scalp and did I mention it is $4 for 16oz?!
Definitely a keeper. Will have this on rotation.

NaturallyATLPCH

BASK Whipped Custard

Nice, creamy, and light. I like it as a summer body cream, absorbs well yet my body is still moisturized. I like the Pineapple Ginger scent but I can't wait to use that up so I can get into the Lemon Bengnet (sp) that I won in a giveaway. It smells :love:!!!!

Beamodel

HIT

APB Ultimate Body Lotion

Uber soft, moisturized skin. Oh yea... And it smells wonderfully amazing!!!!

Mische

BASK Whipped Custard

Nice, creamy, and light. I like it as a summer body cream, absorbs well yet my body is still moisturized. I like the Pineapple Ginger scent but I can't wait to use that up so I can get into the Lemon Bengnet (sp) that I won in a giveaway. It smells :love:!!!!

NaturallyATLPCH yes!! I love this stuff. I bought the Lemon Beignet and Apricot Colada scents and wish I had just stocked up on the Lemon Beignet. Smells so so delicious. :lick:

EnExitStageLeft

Potential Hit:

TextureMeNaturals Aunt Cookie Moisture Cream.

The Force is strong with this one. We'll see how it works out on airdried hair :).

ikandi87

Hits:
Finally coughing up that whole $6.50...I LOVE THIS SITE! Scored some SD Chocolate Bliss for the low low! lol

Wet Bunning for the past few weeks...I notice the difference in my moisture retention and I swear my hair grew almost a inch!!!

Misses:
Falling for the okie by listening to someone from youtube with no scruples lie about how good virgin hair was from Bele Virgin Hair... Ordered that crap hair for a PS but been fighting with the seller since day 1!!!

Running out of JBCO with coconut oil then realizing Sallys doesn't carry it in store and the BSS around my way charge too much...Im gonna have to break down and buy it tho bc I LOVEEEEE sealing with this viscous luscious oil!

PJaye

New Hits:

Komaza Moku Lock & Braid Spray
This product is very nice. I love the ingredient list and its light, fresh scent. Upon application, it instantly softened and smoothed my hair like a dream, and helped to keep it soft and moisturized for several days. However, the bottle I received seems to have a very...angry...spraying mechanism. That is to say, the product doesn’t exit the sprayer as a fine mist or light shower like its sister products listed below. Instead, what I get is a highly concentrated, abrupt, bullet-like blast of liquid. This startled the heck out of me the first time I used it.:lol: Since it performed well and didn’t cause me any harm, it’s a keeper.

Komaza Care Scalp Conditioner
This product is a lovely infusion of butters, oils, herbs, extracts and additives. The scent is nice, light and very unisex; it also doesn’t linger and plays well with the scents of my other products. In spite of its heavy butter and oil content, it has the consistency of a light hair grease. It spreads very easily upon application and does not produce a heavy, coated, overly greasy feel. Although I dislike applying anything directly to my scalp, I’ve been haphazardly dabbing this product on my scalp and ends for several weeks with much success. It also makes my son’s curls look shiny, supple and well moisturized. I’ve been regularly using this product since May and I’ve barely made a dent in the 8oz jar. Simply put, it’s a very lovely hair grease or heavy sealant with a fantastic ingredient list. This product has become a staple in my home, and I highly recommend it.

Miss:

Komaza Califa Moisturizing Spray
I did not like this product at all. Despite being a liquid, I had to use almost a quarter of the bottle in order for my hair to feel somewhat saturated. It also didn’t provide me with any softness or lasting moisture, but rather made my hair feel weird and slightly stiff (two possible culprits for this outcome could be the algae and shea oil). Too bad this product didn’t make the cut because it has a light, pleasant smell and great ingredients.

Indifferent:

Komaza Care Vitamin Reign
Notwithstanding its great ingredient list and failure to produce any adverse effects, this product still feels as if it’s missing something. The softness and moisture it offered was minimal and short-lived - it barely lasted for 24 hours. Overall, this product could only be described as mediocre, at best. Given its unremarkable performance, I will not repurchase.

NaturallyATLPCH

Heart felt miss: My box braids

No they were not done tight, but I am noticing a little thinning at my temples which has always been a fragile area for as long as I can remember. Sooooo I won't be getting another set as planned. Ain't nobody got time for no Naomi Campbell edges. :nono:

Back to my marleys in a couple of weeks.

BranwenRosewood

PJaye

I think that sprayer is the norm for the Moku Spray because mine is the same way. Moku and Califa performed exactly the same on my hair so if you ever decide to sell the Califa Spray let me know. Califa is my HG spritz.

My hair hated the Vitamin Reign and I still don't know why.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
New Hits:

Komaza Care Scalp Conditioner
This product is a lovely infusion of butters, oils, herbs, extracts and additives. The scent is nice, light and very unisex; it also doesn’t linger and plays well with the scents of my other products. In spite of its heavy butter and oil content, it has the consistency of a light hair grease. It spreads very easily upon application and does not produce a heavy, coated, overly greasy feel. Although I dislike applying anything directly to my scalp, I’ve been haphazardly dabbing this product on my scalp and ends for several weeks with much success. It also makes my son’s curls look shiny, supple and well moisturized. I’ve been regularly using this product since May and I’ve barely made a dent in the 8oz jar. Simply put, it’s a very lovely hair grease or heavy sealant with a fantastic ingredient list. This product has become a staple in my home, and I highly recommend it.

@PJaye

My Absolute Favorite from this Line.

An Fall/Winter HG for me. Glad they brought it back.

It's the one product from this Line that I consistently buy and like to keep in my Stash.

It has been newly reformulated.

The Original 4oz Jars smelled like Peppermint Patties.

This new 8oz version smells a little lightweight Mango-ish to me.

I have x3 of the new Jars. Haven't tried it yet.

But I'm glad they brought it back.

I was so afraid they might try to discontinue it, even though Jen told me it was being reformulated.

PJaye

IDareT'sHair

I was never interested in greases/butters or applying product to my scalp, but that's some good stuff. Although I resisted the 4th of July sale, I'm going to get about 4 or 7 jars during BF. For some reason, it smells like pears or green apples to me. I'm just grateful that the scent is loud and overbearing.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
PJaye

Yeah, it does smell light like that. Something light & fruity. :grin:

I swear by that stuff in the Winter/Fall for my Scalp. :lick:

Will be interested to see how the newly formulated version works for me?

I was use to that minty-tingly feel.

I also like DB's Eucalyptus & Mint too.:yep:

Those are a couple of my Fall/Winter Scalp favs.

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
MISS
Shea Terra Organics Black Seed Oil - I purchased this with plans to use it on my face but didn't realize it was as smelly as it is. There's no way I can put this on my face and not get sick while waiting for it to soak in. It's being put on pre-poo duty now, my scalp will just be the only skin that sees any benefits from this oil.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@rileypak

I have Shea Terra's Banana Mongono Pre-Rx.

Bought it during one of Pampered Tendrils Sales.

1st time buying/trying this or anything from this Line.:look:

I can't wait to try this. I hope I like it.:perplexed

Imma be disappointed if it's a FAIL.:ohwell:

Platinum

Continued hit:

AVJ in my homemade spritz
MN/Sulfur mix
Biotin
MSM and multivitamin
Drinking lots of water

I believe this is why I got a little over an inch of growth last month.:grin: the most I usually get is 3/4".

Pennefeather

Big hit: prepooing w coconut oil! I've done this overnight for my last two shampoos, and it has been great. My hair looks and feel stronger. The ends look cleaner, not frizzy or frayed. At the same time, my hair feels soft. I mixed a small amount of Darcy pumpkin conditioner in as well (still not impressed by the conditioner, bug I have full bottle to get rid of).

I've used coconut oil to seal my ends a couple of times during the week as well, and have really liked the results.

Hit: Naturelle Growth deep conditioners. I haven rotating through the herbal conditioner, intense deep conditioner and the marshmallow root conditioner over the last four weeks. Each one has left my hair moisturized and easy to detangle. I used the intense deep conditioner after using the Aphogee two step, and my hair was instantly soft again. ( twenty - thirty minutes under the dryer)

rileypak

Wash Week™ Queen
@rileypak

I have Shea Terra's Banana Mongono Pre-Rx.

Bought it during one of Pampered Tendrils Sales.

1st time buying/trying this or anything from this Line.:look:

I can't wait to try this. I hope I like it.:perplexed

Imma be disappointed if it's a FAIL.:ohwell:

IDareT'sHair
I :heart2: the Shea Terra Organics face products I've used so far (African Black Soap, Ghassoul Clay, Moroccan Clay & Camel Milk Mask, Rose Hip Oil, Senegalese Hibiscus Oil, Moroccan Rose Water) but that black seed oil can miss me with that smell.
It smells very savory (if that makes sense) and I just can't deal with that smell on my face.

The Mongongo & Banana RX sounds nice or at least it should be per the ingredients. I hope you like it! I'll be waiting for your review.

Last edited: