have you tried one form of hair slavery for the other?

BostonMaria

I can't speak for anyone else, but my natural hair takes about 5 minutes to wet, apply products and style. I'll even be nice and say 10 min.

So the answer is no, definitely no second form of slavery here. I feel liberated!

DoDo

Big Hair, Don't Care
Relaxed hair had a way of running away from my head. Whereas my natural hair, even neglected, has always stayed on this scalp.

Length retention is just easier with my hair natural and since I never really styled my relaxed hair I can't compare styling my relaxed hair hair verses my natural hair.

I had to be more mindful, was forced to spend more money, was forced to deal with awful and careless styists, had chemical burns on my scalp and all along my hairline, had to worry about my line of demarcation.

With my natural hair, if I don't want to be stressed, I don't need to be.

Lilmama1011

I feel if you don't use products that work well for your hair and jump on bandwagons you don't need to then your hair will flourish either way. I'm relaxed and it pretty easy, but can be hard when I try different stuff. Don't fix what isn't broken works for me

SimJam

I love doing my hair.

The only thing that takes up time is wash day and with learning the best product and techniques its taken shorter and shorter to the point that I can now add a cowash in midweek

so um no slavery here

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I treat my hair to a spa like experience every weekend. That's my choice. If I wanted to, I could shampoo, instant condition, throw some moisturizer on it and bun all week.

ronie

Working a stressful full time job, being a full time mommy and wife, doing my hair is my inexpensive me-time that i so look forward to everyday. I love the feeling i get when i close the bathroom door, and bring in all my goodies for my hair and skin.
I get excited about wash days. The only thing i hate is hoping in and out of the shower in the cold months.
I love me some soft moisturized hair, but i get disappointed when my hair is so soft i have to skip a few days to m&s.
Styling (not caring for it) my hair is the challenge, because i am new at it. However it is a necessary step to be able to do my daughter's hair, and teach her to style hers without heat or a relaxer until she is ready for the consequences.
So no slavery here.

faithVA

My natural hair requires a lot more work than my relaxed hair. It's not even a comparison. However, if I had continued to relax I would have been completely bald by the time I was 60. Relaxing for me was also more inconvenient and more painful. And I only enjoyed smooth hair for 3 weeks before the back went into revolt.

Even though caring for relaxed hair was faster besides the looooong wait at the salon, looking at the entire picture it wasn't a win for me. I think I would rather go back to a 1" twa than relax my hair again.

almond eyes

Self-love is not a form of slavery. Why do people think that everything in life should be easy breezy. It's not. If you want to stay in shape you have to exercise and eat well. If you want clear skin you have to have a regiment unless you are genetically blessed. Spending time on my natural hair is a form of self love. For many of us it has taken long to find the routine that works for us. I am so glad that so many of us are finally taking time out to love our natural hair and ourselves in the process.

Best,
Almond Eyes

MsKinkycurl

She just seems dramatic to me. All hair styles have requirements to look nice. What is her next article, being a slave to showers?

Saludable84

Better Late Than Ugly
I couldn't open page two but like a PP said she is dramatic. Second, she should speak for herself. Despite still being relaxed, I leave a lot of texture and my washing and conditioning alone takes about an hour. Styling can take anywhere from 1.5-4 hours depending. I don't feel like a slave because I enjoy being responsible for my own hair. Sometimes I don't feel like it but I wouldn't make any other decision.

mz.rae

My relaxed and natural hair journies are pretty much the same with a few differences here and there. With that said I enjoyed my relaxed journey and I am enjoying my natural journey as well. Neither one feels like slavery to me, I enjoy trying new things, hairstyles, and watching my hair grow.

overtherainbow

The fact that she compares caring for natural hair to slavery, just for the sake of clicks is unsettling.
I couldn't get through the entire article, but it sounds like she's doing the most. I have natural type 4 hair and my WNGs take 25 minutes and my twist outs take 40 minutes tops. If I want a super defined twists or small twists for a style, then an hour at the most. And this is all done while taking my time. Daily styling only takes a couple of minutes, unless I want to do something different. My styles are boring (puffs/ponytails/buns), but it doesn't take an arm and a leg to get natural hair to look good.

PJaye

I wish people wouldn't throw around terms like "slavery" and "apartheid" just to make some silly point.

PinkSunshine77

New York's Finest
My natural hair is carefree. Wash day doesn't take all day. I wet and wash it when I want. I don't care about reversion. I don't have to keep my hair dry to hold my flat ironed hair straight. I can't be bothered with that in the hot summer heat anyway. I want my curls to pop.

sunnieb

I guess everybody will be different. I don't think of my relaxed hair as a problem and love washing, conditioning, and moisturizing it as a regular part of my routine.

I take care of it, it grows and retains. I get hair lazy, I pay the consequences. Meh............