Does Relaxed Hair Grow Faster than Natural Hair?

Does Relaxed Hair Grow Faster Than Natural Hair?

• Yes

Votes: 34 4.1%
  • No

Votes: 455 55.2%
  • Depends on the person and hair type.

Votes: 215 26.1%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 121 14.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twinkletoes17

A natural's hair grows out natural. A relaxed person's hair grows out natural prior to relaxer. They should grow the same.

msa

Some of y'all really think relaxed hair grows faster? or natural hair grows faster?

interesting.

msMicaela

Originally Posted by seraphim712
After reading the thread wanna go natural, it reminded me to ask the question I keep forgetting to ask every time I come to LHCF. Does relaxed hair grow much faster than natural hair?

I just happen to wonder because it seems that most ladies on here who are relaxed seem to have better hair growth progress in having relaxed hair and stretching in between touch ups. Believe me, I've seen some beautiful heads of hair on this forum that's natural, but it just seems so much easier to have relaxed hair and watch for the new growth, and care for it.

I've been natural for three years after transitioning from relaxed hair. I didn't realize however how much thicker and coarser my hair is. It also seems to grow much slower in comparison when I had relaxed hair. Does it have something to do with my curl pattern being much looser allowing moisture to sink in? I ask this because now that I'm natural, every time I add moisture, my hair seems to drink it up and dry out like a desert. I only wash twice a week and add light oils such as grapeseed and jojoba. But the only time I seem to be getting anywhere is when my hair flat ironed and not tightly coiled in natural curls. I hope to use caruso steam rollers to do the trick in making my hair a bit more manageable.

I apologize, I just had to vent out my frustration at that moment. But I am still curious for your answers and opinions.

I so feel this comment!! i am a natural growing out a perm...but even when i was totally natural, my hair was dry and didnt seem to thrive as much as when i was getting my hair pressed every two weeks...and it was the low manipulation and moisture retention with keeping it straight that helped...all i had to do was lightly oil it and pin curl it each night. but for some reason perms are the devil to me...three times in my life ive gotten a perm and had to cut if off cause of breakage...arrrr!!!!

mscocoface

It's not the growth, we all grow hair it is the maintenance and care of the hair particularly the ends. If you can't keep you ends you can't keep the length.

If the ends aren't healthy and happy then none of the hair will be happy.

ycj

After reading the thread wanna go natural, it reminded me to ask the question I keep forgetting to ask every time I come to LHCF. Does relaxed hair grow much faster than natural hair?

I just happen to wonder because it seems that most ladies on here who are relaxed seem to have better hair growth progress in having relaxed hair and stretching in between touch ups. Believe me, I've seen some beautiful heads of hair on this forum that's natural, but it just seems so much easier to have relaxed hair and watch for the new growth, and care for it.

I've been natural for three years after transitioning from relaxed hair. I didn't realize however how much thicker and coarser my hair is. It also seems to grow much slower in comparison when I had relaxed hair. Does it have something to do with my curl pattern being much looser allowing moisture to sink in? I ask this because now that I'm natural, every time I add moisture, my hair seems to drink it up and dry out like a desert. I only wash twice a week and add light oils such as grapeseed and jojoba. But the only time I seem to be getting anywhere is when my hair flat ironed and not tightly coiled in natural curls. I hope to use caruso steam rollers to do the trick in making my hair a bit more manageable.

I apologize, I just had to vent out my frustration at that moment. But I am still curious for your answers and opinions.

Great point am I am so happy that you started this thread! I do beleive for me that when my hair was relaxed it seemed to have grown at an excelerated rate. Opposed to now being natural it's at a much slower rate. It's funny you started this thread because I honestly was thinking the same question you asked just last week. Although I am a bit frutstrated with my hair growth being natural I will hang in there at least for another yr to see my progression. Thanks for adding this important question I am sure alot of us wanted to know.:yep:

Rei

Great point am I am so happy that you started this thread! I do beleive for me that when my hair was relaxed it seemed to have grown at an excelerated rate. Opposed to now being natural it's at a much slower rate. It's funny you started this thread because I honestly was thinking the same question you asked just last week. Although I am a bit frutstrated with my hair growth being natural I will hang in there at least for another yr to see my progression. Thanks for adding this important question I am sure alot of us wanted to know.:yep:

You mean retain at an accelerated rate, perhaps. Even when you were relaxed, you still had natural hair growing out of your scalp. Your growth rate has nothing to do with relaxers. If you've found that your hair grew faster in the past, it is probably to do with stress, nutrition or other factors. If you find of course that you're at the same length for a long time, then what is happening is that your hair is breaking off as fast as it grows. It is absolutely essential to baby your ends so that they don't break off, whether relaxed or natural. It might have been that you found it easier to retain length while relaxed, and it could be because you are a new natural:yep: I think you should give it some more time. If not, then relax, its no biggie

ycj

You mean retain at an accelerated rate, perhaps. Even when you were relaxed, you still had natural hair growing out of your scalp. Your growth rate has nothing to do with relaxers. If you've found that your hair grew faster in the past, it is probably to do with stress, nutrition or other factors. If you find of course that you're at the same length for a long time, then what is happening is that your hair is breaking off as fast as it grows. It is absolutely essential to baby your ends so that they don't break off, whether relaxed or natural. It might have been that you found it easier to retain length while relaxed, and it could be because you are a new natural:yep: I think you should give it some more time. If not, then relax, its no biggie

I get your point but at the moment it is a bit impossible for me to think about cutting my ends because of the twa I am sporting! And I never said that relaxers made my hair grow. All I was saying was for my hair not speaking for anyone eles because we all have different hair types I noticed that it was growing more at an accelerated rate opposed to being natural. I also know about stress factors and diet and exercise in one's life is a huge contribution to the health and growth of one's hair. But like I said earlier I will give it some time to see and be more attentive to my ends. And at my 1 yr anniversary which is Nov 19 09 I will make a determination then. But really I want to stay natural is my ultimate goal here with healthy hair of course!:lick:

d-rock

ALL hair Grows at the SAME rate.

That statement is false. All people are different and thus no two people being the same, rate of hair growth is not the same for all hair. Growth rate is a combination of factors including ancestry/DNA and overall general health. The current season can play a role too. My hair grows noticeably faster doing the summer, but that could also be attributed to the fact that I cowash more during the summer and air dry a lot.

Personally, I have been natural for 7 years and at my longest my hair was almost at my waist. Seemed like my hair would stall between SL and APL when relaxed even when doing 6 or 8 week stretches.

caribeandiva

Human being
No. why would it grow faster? A relaxer only changes the texture of your hair not your growth rate. It's still the same hair you were born with.

peony

Sorry for repeating if someone already said this, but in addition to loosening the shrinkage, bone straight relaxers often stretch the strand itself, if that makes sense. It makes the hair weaker when the strands are stretched out, and so can lead to breakage. So retention probably isn't better, but it could lead to people seeing more growth (after a touch up) than even a straightened natural in the same period of time.

Truth

I think it's just the fact that you dont really see the growth when it's natural cause it all looks the same.... with a relaxer u can visibly see the growth, thus thinking "oh it's growing fast".. but in all actuallity it grows at the same rate, it's just what u can "see" ...

SweetSpirit86

I put that I don't know, lol. My hair grew at a decent rate when it was relaxed (I cut my hair to an ear length bob in march last year and it was down past my shoulders again by January this year), but I think my hair is growing faster now...I'm really not sure yet. :(

pringe

ok here's my experience with this. Of course all hair grows out of the head. Like everyone says, its about retention.

With me, my hair has never been down to my behind. But when i had a perm, it seemed like my hair only grew to a certain point and that was it. I had no split ends back then but my hair didn't really grow past a point. To be honest, i really didn't take care of my hair and put the amount of time into it like i do now. I was younger & didn't really understand my hair.

Now that i'm natural, my hair is the longest its ever been in its life! But i have split ends and my hairline is receeding. (just noticed that this morning lol). My hair as it gets longer is becoming more of a chore for me to detangle & i feel like im pulling and tugging all of the time.

In my opinion, everyone's hair is different. I think im beginning to see that sometimes natural may not always be better if ur creating so much tension on ur scalp that its pulling your hair out. lol

AtlantaJJ

Personally I am having much better retention since I have textlaxed. I am not getting the single strand knots anymore and my ends are really healthy!

lcherilu

the growth is the same because if you think about it, it is natural hair growing not your relaxed hair. so the growth if you were natural hair or relaxed hair would be the same if that makes sense lol

Vintageglam

I think the hair growth question is a bit of a subjective issue...

I personally do not think that there is a difference in the growth rate of natural v relaxed hair textures. To assume this ignores the fact that your hair grows from the roots and as such the biggest factor for healthy hair growth is a healthy scalp and a healthy body. Trauma to the scalp (caused by relaxer burns etc ) and or health problems or even hormone fluctuations all affect the rate at which we grow and shed our hair. As such if you want more hair growth you have to control these variables.

However external factors can and do affect the rate at which hair grows and that is why I voted that it depends on the person. I have fine 4a / 4b hair and was natural for the best part of 16 years. However I also had the resulting damage pointed out by another poster of a receding hairline because of the techniques I was using to tame my hair and from the result of the manipulation used (which is NECESSARY unless you want locs). And this is what brings me onto my next point.

I do think it is easier for some hair types i.e. type 3 hair to retain length when natural as opposed to type 4 types purely on the basis of their curl pattern, type 4 hair tends to be more frizzy and therefore is more susceptible to tangling, reflects less light, retains less moisture and tends to give less slip even with the slippiest of conditioners. It is by far the most fragile of any hair type due to the fewer layers covering and protecting the cortex and requires extra TLC compared to any hair type. Because of the challenges facing type 4 hair there is often teh temptation to tame with heat which is just about the worst thing you can do because you gradually just wear down the few layers you do have in the same way that a relaxer breaks down the hair. When I was getting ready to make the transition to relaxing my hair dresser made me steam and deep condition for the best part of 6 weeks every week (with 1 hour under the steamer) before she even considered putting a relaxer into my hair because of porosity concerns. Because of the curl pattern of type 4 hair is just soaks up moisture and then loses it at the same rate. You therefore have to be on your guard.

I am not a big relaxer fan (hence being natural for soooo long), however I have realised that my hair thrives most when relaxed to between 60 - 80%. Bone straight (which I would NEVER advocate and was left with after a Phyto relaxer) leaves me with a limp mess and completely natural hair means I have to put in the extra work which I do not have the time or patience for given the other parts of my life which I would like to enjoy. That is not to say that relaxed hair does not present challenges - I currently have challenges with Porosity at the ends of my hair (thanks again to the remnants of the Phyto relaxer).

As such this is why I think it is down to the person. In making a decision you ultimately have to look at a number of factors including your hair type, the amount of TLC you can devote, how much time you have, your lifestyle, your health etc. Relaxing already damaged hair is a NO NO and transitioning because you think you will have an easier life is also a NO NO.

Anyway black hair looks beautiful in all its guises and I feel you should just do what is best for you. I have learned soooo much from this board and am actually looking forward to beginning my hair journey..

ebonylocs

Lawd have mercy. This question, and some of the responses are really bizarre.

Your growth rate is your growth rate (as varied by nutrition, stress, hormones etc). How could putting a relaxer on your strands AFTER they have already come out of your scalp affect your growth rate one way or another?????????????????????????????

RETENTION is another matter. It depends on what poses a greater problem for you personally - weak hair when relaxed, or tangles when natural. If relaxing makes your hair too weak, then it will break off and you will see less progress. If your natural hair tangles too much so that you rip it out when detanging/styling or have to trim off knots, then you will see less progress.

(I'm beginning to think that for me the best thing strengthwise is to have natural hair, but tangle wise is to keep it smoothed out - best of both worlds)

SHRINKAGE might also mean that you don't see the length while natural, but it's still there. After having natural hair, low manipulation for 3 years, I had mid-back length hair. Didn't *see* that length until I relaxed though, because I never straightened. But once I relaxed, my length hasn't increased much, because my relaxed hair apparently is weaker and retains less.

seraphim712

Lawd have mercy. This question, and some of the responses are really bizarre.

Your growth rate is your growth rate (as varied by nutrition, stress, hormones etc). How could putting a relaxer on your strands AFTER they have already come out of your scalp affect your growth rate one way or another?????????????????????????????

RETENTION is another matter. It depends on what poses a greater problem for you personally - weak hair when relaxed, or tangles when natural. If relaxing makes your hair too weak, then it will break off and you will see less progress. If your natural hair tangles too much so that you rip it out when detanging/styling or have to trim off knots, then you will see less progress.

(I'm beginning to think that for me the best thing strengthwise is to have natural hair, but tangle wise is to keep it smoothed out - best of both worlds)

SHRINKAGE might also mean that you don't see the length while natural, but it's still there. After having natural hair, low manipulation for 3 years, I had mid-back length hair. Didn't *see* that length until I relaxed though, because I never straightened. But once I relaxed, my length hasn't increased much, because my relaxed hair apparently is weaker and retains less.

Thank you for your response I really like it, however.

I myself can't believe this question has been bumped AGAIN and it will be almost three years since I've asked it. I know better now after learning so much from you ladies and that question was asked when I first joined and knew little to nothing about haircare.

Never thought this thread would be so popular over one stupid question on my behalf... :blush:

I guess it's a useful for newcomers to read it so that the same question won't be asked I suppose...

Generally this is true because (in short) the hairs are not causing friction amongst them selves.

IMO...what you do to your hair (relax, natural) has nothing to do with the growth. It is all about RETENTION. Hair grows from the INSIDE, what we do or don't do on the outside will make a difference in retention.

Maybe during your period of slower growth there was something going on internally, maybe you were stressed more, maybe you took for granted that your hair was natural and just going to grow so you didn't take care the best care of it like you did your relaxed hair. There are just so many variables...

Are you using the same products as when you were relaxed?

I wish you all the best and know you will get some great advice...hang in there girl!! ;)

i totally agree with this

southerncitygirl

nope its straight so ya can see the growth whereas curly, kinky, coily hair is shrunken up. I complain to my stylist when I go for my dustings 2-3 times a year that my hair doesn't seem to grow much or its growing slow. Then she blows me out and I'm in shock over how much hair I have and she reminds me of this. I use wigs as a protective style and wash and condish once a week so I don't pay it much attention.

Jewell

I voted for, "don't know," because I just go based on my personal experience, not what I think is the norm. Therefore, in my experience, my transitioning and subsequently natural hair grew significantly faster than my relaxed hair. As *Michelle* stated, it's more about retention and how well you care for hair in various states than which type of hair (how its maintained-relaxed vs natural) "grows faster."

And, since all the hair growing out is NG, I think the OP meant that to ask does relaxed hair that's consistently TU'd grow faster, or does natural hair?

I BC'd late (few days before end of month) June 08, and only had about 4 inches stretched. Basically, I went from medium-sized TWA to SL by November 08 (approx. 4 mos later) . I was astonished at how fast it grew once I BC'd.

ETA: I wonder if OP or others are asking because they are curious as to whether the repeated applications of a relaxer can affect growth rate, (hair does emerge from the scalp, which can receive lots of sodium/calcium hydroxide during the TU process) vs. transitioning or being all natural. ??? It's actually a good question, just needs to be rephrased and clarified so others don't think it's a stupid question/unnecessary.

Last edited:

Miss AJ

I'm not sure how one could grow faster than the other when they both come out of the scalp the same hair type...

seraphim712

I voted for, "don't know," because I just go based on my personal experience, not what I think is the norm. Therefore, in my experience, my transitioning and subsequently natural hair grew significantly faster than my relaxed hair. As *Michelle* stated, it's more about retention and how well you care for hair in various states than which type of hair (how its maintained-relaxed vs natural) "grows faster."

And, since all the hair growing out is NG, I think the OP meant that to ask does relaxed hair that's consistently TU'd grow faster, or does natural hair?

I BC'd late (few days before end of month) June 08, and only had about 4 inches stretched. Basically, I went from medium-sized TWA to SL by November 08 (approx. 4 mos later) . I was astonished at how fast it grew once I BC'd.

ETA: I wonder if OP or others are asking because they are curious as to whether the repeated applications of a relaxer can affect growth rate, (hair does emerge from the scalp, which can receive lots of sodium/calcium hydroxide during the TU process) vs. transitioning or being all natural. ??? It's actually a good question, just needs to be rephrased and clarified so others don't think it's a stupid question/unnecessary.

I admit the thread title question was the incorrect way to pose the question or maybe it's just silly to bring up such a question overall... by me of course.This question was conjured up around the time when I knew little to nothing about hair care and had just joined LHCF. The question was based off of seeing Macherieamour's beautiful hair at the time ( I believe she uses relaxers) and through my naiveté I made the assumption that the chemicals from the relaxer helped accelerate hair growth and preserve the length in comparison of what I perceived at the time to be 'slow growth period' of natural hair. Back then, I didn't know anything about hair types, hair life cycle, retention, growth rate, terminal hair length, hair regimens, essential oils, natural hair products, how to comb your hair the correct way (starting from the ends then up), or how dieting and exercise can effect your hair (something I'm still working on).

When I first started my hair looked like this :

and now based off the knowledge and help that I've gained from you ladies my hair has made a complete turnaround :

Thank you for all the knowledge and advice you've given me here, if it weren't for you ladies I would still be at ear length status.

Last edited:

seraphim712

^^^ wow!! beautiful shiny hair!! what's your regimen?

Thank you! This was taken at Salon Balisi where I get my hair styled. Sharon does a wonderful job :grin:

My regimen isn't full proof solid as of yet, but what I usually do is lightly apply a rosemary-peppermint-virgin coconut oil mixture to my scalp twice a week and CHI Silk Infusion to my ends every night. I bun frequently to keep my ends from rubbing against my clothes. When it's time for me to wash my hair, I put them into about 12 twists and soak/wash them individually with diluted shampoo. Finally I finish with a ACV rinse and let my hair air dry.

I really need to return to DCing my hair since it helped so much but the knob on my poor Pibbs Dryer is broken and I need to have it replaced :wallbash::wallbash:

I would also like to acquire Avocado butter so that I can incorporate it to my hair air drying session.