Naturals who straighten, how to make hair less "bushy"?

Dak

Is there an oil or cream that can keep my hair from "expanding" when I wear it out? I'm using Aveda's DR line for shampoo & conditioner, and the USC & Brilliant heat protector for styling.

The "bigness" wouldn't be bad if that's all it did, but it's making detangling really difficult.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Either curl wax by Ampro or Like Silk by Liz & daughters. You may not have as much body (bounce and swing) when using this but it will keep and get your hair straighter. Personally I like the Like Silk better because of the smell and it's lighter so it goes on easier plus you can use very little. Also a hard press is normally needed.

Dak

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll look for those products. Tell me, though, does "hard press" mean more heat? I'm trying to use the lowest heat settings possible to straighten, which is about 350 on my generic chi flat iron.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Yes a hard press is usually done using a pressing comb, the ones with the teeth in the back seem to get the job done quicker with one comb through. If you like low heat that 350 degrees your using sounds good enough, try it with one of the pressing creams and see how that goes.
Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll look for those products. Tell me, though, does "hard press" mean more heat? I'm trying to use the lowest heat settings possible to straighten, which is about 350 on my generic chi flat iron.

glamazon386

It sounds like your hair isn't all the way straight that's why it's tangling up. Which is perfectly fine but that's why it's big. How are you tying it up at night? Have you tried applying some product when you wrap to smooth it out? That should flatten it out some.

MsKipani

I've been straightening my natural hair since I was 11
The items I always use are a couple products by Frizz Ease by John Frieda:
The straightening serum - there is one for coarse hair and there's one for thermal protection
I also use there blow it straight spray that works well too
My hair gets pretty straight just from blow drying so I think these products really help to achieve that
If I want to I can go out with my hair blowdried and not apply a curling iron to get it extra straight
Lately I've also been using Aveda's Brilliant Anti Humectant pomade that I really like

ChocoKitty

Is there an oil or cream that can keep my hair from "expanding" when I wear it out? I'm using Aveda's DR line for shampoo & conditioner, and the USC & Brilliant heat protector for styling.

The "bigness" wouldn't be bad if that's all it did, but it's making detangling really difficult.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

How exactly do you straighten your hair? Do you blow dry and flat iron or just blow dry then press?

brownsugarflyygirl

I am a 4a natural and electric flatirons dont really do it for my hair....my hair laughs at the Chi...and the Jibere does a fairly good job but for my hair to have that relaxer like smoothness...I have to use the good ol' fashion marcel flat irons. I also have to blow dry it first. That combo gives me flow-and-go relaxer looking hair.

The products dont make as big of a difference for me as much as the tools. However, for my little sister who is a 3b/3c natural....Matrix Sleek.Look styling cream (Step 3 in their smoothing system) and an electric flat iron and gets relaxer like results.

So I think its just a matter of finding the right products and tools for your hair.

Dak

Right now I'm,

braiding or pin curling it at night. Every night I usually add shea butter, ojon restorative, or aveda brilliant.

To straighten I'm braiding it, let it dry overnight, then I pull out sections and blow dry whatever is still damp, then flat iron. It will look great right after I do it, but throughout the day, it starts getting bigger.

Maybe I'm not using enough heat to get it straight enough? I'm using a generic chi heated up to 350, I hate to use more heat because I'm afraid of frying my hair....

I tried frizz ease years ago when I was only wearing my hair curly and it did not do well with it, left it very gummy feeling.

I've always had this with my hair, relaxed, natural and now thermally straightened. By the end of the day it's usually back in a ponytail. It's very pourous, very thin strands, yet a lot of it.

I've never tried a wax, or anything with wax in it. I wonder if something like LIv would help?

LadyJ76

I've been dealing with this with my daughter's hair. She has a 3abc texture, but her curls are very resistant to relaxing. When I straighten her hair (which is not often) it is past mid-back length, but it quickly poofs up. I've tried serums, oils but nothing seems to help it keep it. I was thinking too, that her hair must be very porous. I've considered trying Porosity Control and then a smoothing cond. before maxi-gliding it. It is frustrating because she is getting to the age where she wants to wear different styles, she really wants to toss her hair around like other girls.

Dak

LadyJ76, now that's a good thought, porosity control, is that from Sallys?

ClassicBeauty

I rollerset my hair before I flat-iron. When I take the rollers out, it looks like it's relaxed with a rollerset. Now the roots still wave up, but it's a lot easier than letting it airdry. Plus the leave-in that I use to detangle and set it seem to help seal the ends.
I have more details in my journal.

BTW- I also use pretty high heat.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I get big puffy hair, too. There are two things that do that for me. The first is that I have to get ALL the product out of my hair before I blowdry and press. I use glycerin and oils in my hair. If I have any residual product in my hair , my hair will not get as straight, or it will puff up right away, as in the same day. So to get out the product in my hair I prepare about two days in advance before my press.

Day 1, I will clarify my hair with apple cider vinegar and water and then wash. At the most, I will use a light watery conditioner. Then I will pull it back and try not to put any product in it. The next one or two days, I will perform conditioner washes with an inexpensive conditioner. I will not use cholesterol conditioner. I keep wetting and doing conditioner washes until it is time to get my hair done. By this time, my hair is very dry to the touch. But this is the best state for my hair to be in before a press. By the time I am ready to straighten it, my hair only will require only a light shampoo as most of the product has been taken out during the prior two to three days when I was doing the initial clarifying and the conditioner washes. I don't do this every week...it would be too much work.

The second thing I do is put in a dime or quarter size amount of vitapoint before blowdrying. Then I press my hair and it comes out straight and stays straight until I wash it. I also wrap my hair at night. But if I don't get the oils and butters out of my hair before I straighten, it will not come out straight or stay straight.

ChocoKitty

Right now I'm,

braiding or pin curling it at night. Every night I usually add shea butter, ojon restorative, or aveda brilliant.

To straighten I'm braiding it, let it dry overnight, then I pull out sections and blow dry whatever is still damp, then flat iron. It will look great right after I do it, but throughout the day, it starts getting bigger.

Maybe I'm not using enough heat to get it straight enough? I'm using a generic chi heated up to 350, I hate to use more heat because I'm afraid of frying my hair....

I tried frizz ease years ago when I was only wearing my hair curly and it did not do well with it, left it very gummy feeling.

I've always had this with my hair, relaxed, natural and now thermally straightened. By the end of the day it's usually back in a ponytail. It's very pourous, very thin strands, yet a lot of it.

I've never tried a wax, or anything with wax in it. I wonder if something like LIv would help?

Believe it or not you may need more moisture. Until I started deep conditioning on a regular basis my hair would puff up after any attempts to straighten. I try to "bathe" my hair in moisture before straightening. A good moisturizing deep conditioning before makes a big difference. More heat to "dry" hair is just going to make it frizz more. IMO.

cocoberry10

I've been straightening my natural hair since I was 11
The items I always use are a couple products by Frizz Ease by John Frieda:
The straightening serum - there is one for coarse hair and there's one for thermal protection
I also use there blow it straight spray that works well too
My hair gets pretty straight just from blow drying so I think these products really help to achieve that
If I want to I can go out with my hair blowdried and not apply a curling iron to get it extra straight
Lately I've also been using Aveda's Brilliant Anti Humectant pomade that I really like

What’s your hair type if you don’t mind me asking???

Dak

DivaStyle, you're right, if I roller set my hair it would definitely be in better shape. It's just so hot right now to sit under a dryer for an hour. I cringe just using the blow dryer on it, adding more heat to the house. That would be the best solution though.Your hair is absolutely beautiful, btw.

Chicoro, so you clarify, then condition wash, then blow dry and flat iron w/o any product on your hair? Then just put vitapoint and oils on afterwards? When I saw your pic I knew you knew what I'm describing, you have very healthy beautiful hair! When you say you're using glycerin, what exactly is the product you're using?

ChocoKitty, I agree, w/o a good moisturizer my hair would like straw. Since coming to this site again I've begun using my heat cap with my conditioners, which has really been helping, too.

Thanks to all that have responded, I really do appreciate your help!

meaganita

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum is nice. Ulta has a sample size for like 5 bucks. There's also a shampoo, conditioner, and a spray that comes in the line, but I haven't tried those yet. The serum itself, along with some of the technique suggestions will really go a long way. I also like the Pureology Super Straight line and Matrix Biolage Ultra-Hydrating Balm. Both get the hair very smooth and easy to straighten.

I found that with time and practice it gets easier. My first try at flat ironing my hair in June was a disaster!!:lol: But now I feel like I have the right info, products, and techniques to get it done right.

cocoberry10

Bumping. I’m “transitioning” (I think. I hope not to ever have to relax again, but we’ll see). I’m not sure if I’ll primarily straighten my hair or wear it “natural,” but this is good information to have. Thanks divas:lol:

Syrah

I'm a 4abc who straightened religiously for the first year of being natural (cuz I was afraid to do anything else.

Products that I use when straightening -
- Leave-In Conditioning product (usually Aphogee)
- 'Cones (usually KMS Flat Out or Fantasia IC)
- KMS Flat Out Heat Activated Straightening serum FOR COARSE HAIR. They have one for "normal" (translation: already straight) hair. That mess does nothing for me. The Heat Activated Serum usually will take about 50% of the volume out of my hair.

AFTER THAT - I picked up this tip from MaCherieAmour - a syran wrap head wrap. Check out her tutorials on how to do this (i think the website is http://healthytextures.typepad.com

sound

I'm not fully natural, more like half natural since I'm transitioning, but...

My Stylist sprays my hair with Mizani HRM after a press n curl. I've been sweating like crazy in this humid weather in DC and my hair has NOT poofed up one bit.

SeatownSista

My cousin has been raving about Mizani Silkening and Curling Wax. I tried some of hers and it worked well. I plan on purchasing some soon. :yep:

glamazon386

I'm not fully natural, more like half natural since I'm transitioning, but...

My Stylist sprays my hair with Mizani HRM after a press n curl. I've been sweating like crazy in this humid weather in DC and my hair has NOT poofed up one bit.

What's HRM?

Dak

- KMS Flat Out Heat Activated Straightening serum FOR COARSE HAIR. They have one for "normal" (translation: already straight) hair. That mess does nothing for me. The Heat Activated Serum usually will take about 50% of the volume out of my hair.

MsNadi, is this it? This is the only serum I can find in the flat out line. Thanks.

Attachments

• flatoutsmoothingserum.jpg
    flatoutsmoothingserum.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 5