HOW MUCH SILICA IS TOO MUCH ?

Madison

I just started taking the natrol silica and instead of taking the recommended dosage i decided to take 3 to 4 capsules daily. is that too much?

thanks.

Lucia

Hi,
It depends on how much mg each capsule is, and what the reccomended dosage is. If you take too much even vitamins it can harm you. Check the old sites under Bargello or GNC for vit's dosages.
hth

Tara

From what I understand, silica is considered non-toxic. I also understand that many people do what you are doing is doing "loading doses" of silica in order to get it into their system quickly and then taper down to a maintenence dose. On some boards people have said that increasing silica intake was beneficial, and others have said that taking the recommended dose worked just as well. So it seems to depend on the individual.

Here is some information I found for you regarding doses.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The average daily intake of silica from the diet is approximately 20 to 50 milligrams per day, but the optimum dose is higher. Researchers are finding that by supplementing the diet with a minimum of 40 milligrams of silica a day, the skin shows an improvement of elasticity, texture and thickness. Added benefits include helping weakened teeth and gums, strengthening bones, and decreasing hair loss. Overall, silica was found to help the body repair, rebuild, strengthen, and lessen or eliminate many body ailments associated with aging.

Silica is considered safe and virtually non-toxic. For easiest assimilation, the best form is to take it in liquid, for internal assistance, or lotion for direct application to the skin. Nutritionists can recommend as much as 1000 milligrams per day

[/ QUOTE ]

The above quote was taken from this link http://www.appliedhealth.com/ahs_digest/digest050199.html

you have to scroll down /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
I thank you guys for the info too. I've never understood what the attraction of silica was, besides a few posts commenting on how shiny their hair is now. Now that I've read about substantial health benefits, I may start taking the supplements. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SVT

I just started taking the natrol silica and instead of taking the recommended dosage i decided to take 3 to 4 capsules daily. is that too much?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're making a lot of trips to the ladies' room, that might be an indication. I read somewhere that silica is a natural diuretic though.

I take one or two capsules daily of KAL Super Silica Plus and have not noticed any changes like that.

Madison

hi SVT

i've decided to take 4 caps. 2 in the morning and 2 at nite. i haven't been using the bathroom any more than usual. I go alot anyway because of the amount of water i drink.

A

AmilLion

I just purchased Silica from GNC a few minutes ago and I realized its 11mg. Isn't that too much?

LondonDiva

Amilion I wouldn't worry about 11mg. I have oceanic silica which contains 575mg and silica derived from horsetail with the same amount in it also.

A

AmilLion

Okay. I didn't want to take anything that would cause me to fall ill.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Tara said:
From what I understand, silica is considered non-toxic. I also understand that many people do what you are doing is doing "loading doses" of silica in order to get it into their system quickly and then taper down to a maintenence dose. On some boards people have said that increasing silica intake was beneficial, and others have said that taking the recommended dose worked just as well. So it seems to depend on the individual.

Here is some information I found for you regarding doses.
The average daily intake of silica from the diet is approximately 20 to 50 milligrams per day, but the optimum dose is higher. Researchers are finding that by supplementing the diet with a minimum of 40 milligrams of silica a day, the skin shows an improvement of elasticity, texture and thickness. Added benefits include helping weakened teeth and gums, strengthening bones, and decreasing hair loss. Overall, silica was found to help the body repair, rebuild, strengthen, and lessen or eliminate many body ailments associated with aging.

Silica is considered safe and virtually non-toxic. For easiest assimilation, the best form is to take it in liquid, for internal assistance, or lotion for direct application to the skin. Nutritionists can recommend as much as 1000 milligrams per day

[/ QUOTE ]

The above quote was taken from this link http://www.appliedhealth.com/ahs_digest/digest050199.html

you have to scroll down /images/graemlins/grin.gif
GREAT INFO ON SILICA!!! I never knew Silica had so many benefits!!! :)