Church denominations tht do not celebrate christmas or easter

humility1990

I just want to please God. God is a God of love and He is capable of great wrath. The bible reveals so much about God's character. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever(Hebrews 13:8). So that is why I no longer celebrate easter(ishtar) and christmas (saturnalia). After all it says "But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it"(Matthew 7:14).

lilanie

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

As, I reflected on the 25th ~ I was just super excited to read/know more about Christ's birth, just as in late march I rewatch The Passion of The Christ to make His sacrifice hit home.

LucieLoo12

LittleGoldenLamb
This is it!!!..Good intentions dont make things right..Just because we feel its good dont make it God.If people would only research this holidays they would see how much of it is pagan. People say "I feel, i think, I believe"...but what does the word say...?

I gave this more thought, post-holiday season.

I think the issue of "intention" still skirts around offering up "strange incense".

God punished the Jews for adopting the customs of Pagans and putting a "God" veneer on them.

He made a point to even note little customs like "skipping over the threshold" on a long list of things he punished them for.

That one little detail --God bothered to have it recorded.

He said do not worship him the way Pagans worship their false Gods. Do not offer Him "strange incense". Our intentions are always trumped by what God ultimately wants.

How we celebrate Christmas and what is is, is a textbook example of that, which is what gives me pause with it and with Easter. I don't want to offer God "strange incense" because a man decided to hi-jack a pagan holiday (specifically the birthday of Mithras) and put a veneer of Christ upon it.

Constantine (not the man responsible for the above, I'm just using him as an example) had good "intentions" (politically at least) that have had dire consequences for the Body even today.

I celebrate Christ's birth year round without yule-logs, trees, mistle-toe, etc.

I celebrate Resurrection not "Easter" ("Ishtar" in other words).

The festivities of Christmas tie in too directly with their Pagan origins (for me) to not feel like I'm offering "Strange incense". If He harshly punished the Jews for this (among other things)...why would I do the same thing?

Why am I hanging phallic symbols and decorating my house like a pagan, while singing songs of praise to the One True God?

It just seems odd to me, personally (Read: Me, Moi, Myself, I).

RaeShouna

I love Christmas.Period. yes I am Christian and yes I do know that it was originally a pagan holiday but I also know that the reason it was created was so that the Christians of the day could have a way of celebrating Christ.

Think of it as competing for the souls for those that did not know Christ. The pagans were used to celebrating the end of the year so the church decided to have them learn about Christ and celebrate him instead of false idols. Now don't get me wrong before long the then church turned it into something else and made about power(read up on the early Catholic popes and many of their bad choices). But if you choose not to celebrate it I don't knock it.

I have some family members who are Jehovah's Witnesses(not a denomination by the way) but I don't truly believe they know why they don't celebrate it...at least what they've told me doesn't sit right. And by they I mean my family members.

I love Christmas because Its the one time when, in my experience everyone around me seems to be on one accord....and I love the gift giving part because we give out of love and not "I guess I have to because it's Christmas"...also we give gifts all year but the whole family is together that day so its extra special. And after I was saved the feeling grew stronger because the pure joy of thanksgiving for the one who was born to die for me and my sins.

I was raised learning about Christ first on Christmas then Santa Clause and then gifts.

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Wow, I didn't know some Christian denominations didn't celebrate those holidays. I just assumed they taught the true meaning behind them instead of the materialistic version.

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

BEAUTYU2U, I'm glad you posted this...

There was a post in another thread (in the OT forum) regarding Black Friday. Apparently a man suffered a heart attack while in Walmart and it was 'reported' that people continued about their way, stepping over and/or bypassing the man as he laid on the floor in distress, in dire need of help.

A poster said the following: "I'm assuming that since the people were Christmas shopping that these were Christians who were shopping and who bypassed and stepped over this man."

Of course my response to this was :huh: ? ? ? And a few other paragraphs. :look: :lol:

She later posted that she was a Christian... ( I need a gif for my 'wordless' response which followed). :look:

Well, your post, unlike hers, makes sense in the sense that yes, there are 'a great number' of Christians who celebrate Christmas who do indeed teach that Jesus is the Reason for the Season. Within my family and in my Church and many, many, Many other Churches, we honour and celebrate the gift of the birth of Christ and Christmas means nothing less than that.

Pagans did not and do not celebrate Jesus, we do.

For the Christians who do not celebrate the holidays, their reasons are valid and I respect them and honour their life as they live it for the Lord Jesus Christ. It's not worth a division of our love for one another which still remains; nor our main focus which is Jesus and bringing others to Him.

Thanks again for your post... "Happy New Year" to you and your loved ones.

Last edited:

Belle Du Jour

Taken from another Christian Forum/Fr. Richard Simon:

I think it's really important for people to know this. It's a very, VERY common perception that Christmas (dec 25th) was originally a pagan holiday that was "baptized". Others put it this way, Christmas hijacked or "over-wrote" an existing pagan celebration. That's nice...which one? There are only three contenders: Winter Solstice, Saturnalia, or Sol Invictus.

Winter Solstice is actually December 21/22nd. The ancient peoples knew this, and would have never made the mistake of celebrating it 3 or 4 days too late. In fact, the movement of the stars, sun, moon, and other heavenly bodies were watched so closely that it is amazing how accurately the astronomers of the time knew what they did with the little technology they had. They knew the times of the solstices and equinoxes with alarming accuracy. Christmas did not replace the Winter Solstice.

Saturnalia was a feast day that was originally celebrated on Dec 17th. Eventually it because so popular that it was celebrated for several days, with feasting and merrymaking going on and on. However, even at the height of its popularity (and its longest duration) it wrapped things up on Dec 23rd. Christmas did not overlap with this holiday.

Sol Invictus was indeed celebrated on Dec 25th! It is the feast of the Undying Sun. However, the cult that started this celebration did not form until 274AD, and was not popular until years after that. Christmas was already being celebrated in several areas on Dec 25th by that time...so this holiday was not over-written to create a new Christian one.

Well...why Dec 25th then, if its not baptizing an existing pagan holiday?
In ancient times, there was kind of a superstitious belief that a great leader or prophet dies on the exact same day that he is conceived. If Christ died on Good Friday, then in many people's minds at the time he must have been conceived on that day as well. Christmas is approximately 9 months after that.

We can't know for sure the exact day that Christ was born on...and the ancient Christians didn't know either...but we should still know that Christmas (Dec 25th) was never a pagan Roman holiday of any sort. It is indeed an original Christian holiday. Sure, there are many other major winter festivals around this time, in many cultures...but the same is true for every season.

It's really fascinating!
Now, go tell someone else...because it seems to be "common knowledge" that Christmas was once pagan.

Nice & Wavy

I think it's really important for people to know this. It's a very, VERY common perception that Christmas (dec 25th) was originally a pagan holiday that was "baptized". Others put it this way, Christmas hijacked or "over-wrote" an existing pagan celebration. That's nice...which one? There are only three contenders: Winter Solstice, Saturnalia, or Sol Invictus.

Winter Solstice is actually December 21/22nd. The ancient peoples knew this, and would have never made the mistake of celebrating it 3 or 4 days too late. In fact, the movement of the stars, sun, moon, and other heavenly bodies were watched so closely that it is amazing how accurately the astronomers of the time knew what they did with the little technology they had. They knew the times of the solstices and equinoxes with alarming accuracy. Christmas did not replace the Winter Solstice.

Saturnalia was a feast day that was originally celebrated on Dec 17th. Eventually it because so popular that it was celebrated for several days, with feasting and merrymaking going on and on. However, even at the height of its popularity (and its longest duration) it wrapped things up on Dec 23rd. Christmas did not overlap with this holiday.

Sol Invictus was indeed celebrated on Dec 25th! It is the feast of the Undying Sun. However, the cult that started this celebration did not form until 274AD, and was not popular until years after that. Christmas was already being celebrated in several areas on Dec 25th by that time...so this holiday was not over-written to create a new Christian one.

In ancient times, there was kind of a superstitious belief that a great leader or prophet dies on the exact same day that he is conceived. If Christ died on Good Friday, then in many people's minds at the time he must have been conceived on that day as well. Christmas is approximately 9 months after that.

We can't know for sure the exact day that Christ was born on...and the ancient Christians didn't know either...but we should still know that Christmas (Dec 25th) was never a pagan Roman holiday of any sort. It is indeed an original Christian holiday. Sure, there are many other major winter festivals around this time, in many cultures...but the same is true for every season.

It's really fascinating!
Now, go tell someone else...because it seems to be "common knowledge" that Christmas was once pagan.
Thank you for sharing this information regarding Christmas.:yep:

I always ponder upon this scripture when I read what other people say about Christmas:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ." Colossians 2: 16 & 17

To me...Christmas is a Holy Day on my calendar and if that happens to be on December 25th, than I celebrate the birth of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I can believe that no matter what day it would fall on, people would have something negative to say about His birth because that's just what people do around the world regarding Jesus.

As long as I am worshiping my Lord and Savior on that day and every other day that God gives me, I KNOW that God, Our Father, is pleased with me and there are many others who believe as I do and God, Our Father, is pleased with them as well.

May the Lord bless His Word!

N&W

xcuzememiss

It's really fascinating!
Interesting!

makeupgirl

Ok, so this is the way I've always looked at Christmas and Easter.

Christmas - although, December 25 is not the actual day that Jesus was born, it's celebrated on that day for a reason. The reason is to honor and celebrate the birth of Christ, point blank, no other reason. We don't have to put up a tree, decorate the house, sing carols, give gifts or anything like that because if you are in Christ, then you know what the day truly represents.

Easter - Easter has been known to be in April or even sometimes in March. Again, it's the day that we recognize and celebrate the resurrection of Christ. In fact, in my church, we call it Resurrection Sunday, instead of Easter.

Both Holidays, although both related to Christ, has been if anything commericalized and it's not a surprise there because anything that is related to Christ, Satan hates with a passion so of course, he's going to try to corrupt it. I personally both enjoy and dislike this time of year. I enjoy it because of the celebration of the birth of Christ. I dislike it because, from Black Friday up until Christmas Day and even up until New Years bring out some crazies. (and I hate crowds)

Anyhoo, who cares how the world celebrates those two holidays? The important thing is to know what it truly represents. The birthday celebration of Christ leads to the celebration of his death, burial, and resurrection and what this gospel represents.

Even if Christmas or Easter wasn't on the calendar, it's still going to be represented and celebrated by the word of God because that is what makes these 2 events true. Even if I never in life receive another earthly gift, I'm cool with that. I've already received the best gift ever, which is salvation and eternal life through Jesus Christ.

Shimmie

Staff member

It's really fascinating!

Thank you for sharing this. I know that when my family and Church celebrates Christmas, it's beyond 'good intentions' and far beyond the world's materialism.

It is the 'Mass of Christ'... a Holy Celebration of His birth. His Birth and Resurrection were honoured and celebrated in the Bible.

Last edited:

Rainbow Dash

Good discussion in this thread. I celebrate the birth of Christ and His Resurrection is Life. This is everyday life for those that are walking with Him. Your transformed/changing life, is the mark of His birth and Resurrection.

He is the Ressurrection and the Life. He came to seek and to save that which was lost. He came to destroy the works of the devil.

I just have issues with Christians that teach their children about the birth of Christ and tell them about Santa too. I don't get how people don't see that tellling your kids that Santa is coming to town, is okay. You are lying to them. And the easter bunny is another distraction. Do you see the pattern?

Shimmie

Staff member
Good discussion in this thread. I celebrate the birth of Christ and His Resurrection is Life. This is everyday life for those that are walking with Him. Your transformed/changing life, is the mark of His birth and Resurrection.

He is the Ressurrection and the Life. He came to seek and to save that which was lost. He came to destroy the works of the devil.

I just have issues with Christians that teach their children about the birth of Christ and tell them about Santa too. I don't get how people don't see that tellling your kids that Santa is coming to town, is okay.

You are lying to them. And the easter bunny is another distraction. Do you see the pattern?[/B]

It's total confusion :yep:

I think some parents actually 'still' believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny. :yep: In other words, they still have a 'fairytale' mentality.

dicapr

The United Church of God does not celebrate any man made holidays. Their main reason is that God outlined in his word what holidays we are to celebrate. They preach that biblical holidays are deeply symbolic representing events that have occured and will occured and are part of the plan of God. I am not UCG but I have attended their church on occation for the last year or so. (I celebrate Christmas-most SDA do, and hearing the resurrection story during Easter with no formal celebration-also SDA tradition).

JeterCrazed

It's really fascinating!

I believe the holiday you're looking for is Yule. As in "make the Yule tide gay" and "Yule log".

This is like...thee most interesting thread like...ever. :pop:

Post faster.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

Rsgal

The Church of Christ doesn't celebrate christmas or easter. They don't play any instruments while singing in church.
They believe that theirs is the church that Christ formed and usually refer to it as the "'Lord's Church" or something of the sort
(I'm not of this denomination.)

Rsgal

Rsgal, have you ever been? Does it sound like southern gospel? Or like Lutheran/Catholic?

Sent from my HTC Inspire™

JeterCrazed: No, I've never been to their worship. A good friend of mine got baptised into it a year ago and that's how I know a bit about it. I feel that they claim to be the perfect ones and the rest of us are heathens who will go to hell because we are in denominations that have "doctrines governed by men", our leaders are called reverends and bishops, yet no where in the bible does it say that Jesus appointed bishops and reverends. My friend acually once posted on FB that Joel Olsteen will go to hell because he is not a true follower of Jesus and doesn't preach what is true..:nono:

ETA: they only sing acapella in church and have elders as leaders

Last edited:

divya

There are a number of Christian branches that do not celebrate Christmas or Easter, likely more than we can list since there are thousands of us. :)

The United Church of God does not celebrate any man made holidays. Their main reason is that God outlined in his word what holidays we are to celebrate. They preach that biblical holidays are deeply symbolic representing events that have occured and will occured and are part of the plan of God. I am not UCG but I have attended their church on occation for the last year or so. (I celebrate Christmas-most SDA do, and hearing the resurrection story during Easter with no formal celebration-also SDA tradition).

Yes, the SDA general conference does not recognize Christmas or Easter as Biblical holidays but leaves the issue to individuals. SDAs are likely split equally when it comes to celebration of either, especially taking into consideration those outside of North America & Europe. It seems as though this is the counsel on Easter (and Christmas)...

Under such circumstances Easter and its surrounding events can lend themselves to evangelistic outreach without, however, assigning any special religious meaning to the day itself. Wherever there is opportunity to advance the message of Christ without compromising biblical truth, the "wise as serpents, harmless as doves" counsel of Christ is appropriate
http://www.adventistreview.org/article.php?id=1062

Personally, I couldn't care less about Easter but Christmas is nice culturally...

How do you like the UCG church?

Last edited:

dicapr

Divya, I like the UCG. We actually have the same founders and alot of our beliefs are in common. Sometimes being in an area where there is only one SDA church that has to cater to the needs to everyone means no one is happy with the product. It is nice to go somewhere on Sabbath morning and worship at a church that speaks to my current spiritual needs. I still go to the SDA church primarily though.